Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A Total War Saga – Announce Blog

Comments

• SeteSete Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    The era I was aiming for is 1500 not 300 years later.

Southeast Asia could be a great setting, and you can even add other European powers.

But hey, cowboys Vs samurais!
  • dchiukdchiuk Posts: 8Registered Users
    Great news, thanks Jack.

It feels CA maybe recognise the historical fans feeling of being forgotten and are now trying to appease the frustration, however I still feel to little too late. Should have had a historical before now or at least releases to the community of development similar to WH2.

I think CA is fortunate that there isn't a real competitor to the franchise otherwise they would have lost a lot of customers!

Come on CA....You need to start giving us something not just words and promises for the future!!

• FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    dchiuk said:

Great news, thanks Jack.

It feels CA maybe recognise the historical fans feeling of being forgotten and are now trying to appease the frustration, however I still feel to little too late. Should have had a historical before now or at least releases to the community of development similar to WH2.

I think CA is fortunate that there isn't a real competitor to the franchise otherwise they would have lost a lot of customers!

Come on CA....You need to start giving us something not just words and promises for the future!!

I totally empathise with the sentiment, but always overriding that feeling is the knowledge that the longer CA are given to plan and design the next major historical game, the more epic it will be.

It is going to be one of their "big leaps", set in a new era, no doubt with a new engine and with some quite significant gameplay innovations, going by what they've hinted at so far. If the series is going to be freshened up - something it badly needs by this point imo - the devs need the time and space to do that. So look at it as a good thing :smile:
  • ESKEHLESKEHL Senior Member Posts: 482Registered Users
    Fredrin said:

dchiuk said:

Great news, thanks Jack.

I totally empathise with the sentiment, but always overriding that feeling is the knowledge that the longer CA are given to plan and design the next major historical game, the more epic it will be.

It is going to be one of their "big leaps", set in a new era, no doubt with a new engine and with some quite significant gameplay innovations, going by what they've hinted at so far. If the series is going to be freshened up - something it badly needs by this point imo - the devs need the time and space to do that. So look at it as a good thing :smile:
    I agree with Fredrin. Those games that have been wildly anticipated because of early info, such as Empire and Rome, they were both released prematurely. I reckon both games would have been far better of with another year or so in development. I have nothing against waiting eventhough I am as excited as the rest of you about what the historical games they will release.
    edited July 2017
    SPOILER ALERT Saw a youtube video with commentary of the "TW Saga" reveal. And there was this one person who had put the coastline in the Saga reveal screenshot in comparison with the east coast of Ireland just north of Dublin. The resemblance is uncanny! So best guesses about story is those who have narrowed themselves down to the british isles?

My guess is at the old Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion gets a proper follow-up. It`s the best scenario I can imagine given the size of the map judging from that coastline of Ireland. And the dane law era is a good one. It`s reasonably short time span. It deals with a british isles that are fractured into multiple kingdoms. It deals with clashes of cultures and civilisations.

AND It serves pretty much as sequal to Age of Charlamagne, connecting to that timeperiod.

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,221Registered Users
    Maybe they talked about the Kingdoms Medieval "British Island" campaign, when they said they wanted to revisit something they have done before but not quite correct.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
    edited July 2017
    I think this is it. The picture clearly hints at a large british isles map.

The only direct follow-up to Rome II or Attila in that scenery that can be imagined is either Roman Britain (which I think is a bit weak to base a whole new game upon). British Isles were covered fairly well during AoC period, so no need to go back to that era for a new game.

Viking Invasion would make most sense to me. Some in this forum has wished for 1066 Hastings as a flashpoint. But I don`t think this is 1066. 1066 is simpy one battle and then thay had a new dynasty. There is not enough historical material in that event to base an entire game upon.
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    ESKEHL said:

SPOILER ALERT Saw a youtube video with commentary of the "TW Saga" reveal. And there was this one person who had put the coastline in the Saga reveal screenshot in comparison with the east coast of Ireland just north of Dublin. The resemblance is uncanny! So best guesses about story is those who have narrowed themselves down to the british isles?

My guess is at the old Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion gets a proper follow-up. It`s the best scenario I can imagine given the size of the map judging from that coastline of Ireland. And the dane law era is a good one. It`s reasonably short time span. It deals with a british isles that are fractured into multiple kingdoms. It deals with clashes of cultures and civilisations.

AND It serves pretty much as sequal to Age of Charlamagne, connecting to that timeperiod.

That's probably it. Good find.
  • morgenjansenmorgenjansen Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    Where the mountains of mourne sweep down to the sea ...

• Tobias_no_TairaTobias_no_Taira Posts: 4Registered Users
    Think about russian medieval era in one of the total war saga games.

Where you could choose between factions such as the Russian principalities, the Teutonic states or other Eastern European countries and even the gold and mongolia horde. A rivalry of three large groups, would be somewhat similar to the fall of the samurai where there are two alliances.
  • MeletisMeletis Posts: 10Registered Users
    I personally believe that this could be a prelude of medieval 3
    Remember the medieval 2 tutorial:The norman invasion of england
    So i am thinking if this saga has to be with William the conqueror and a supposed invasion of ireland after the conquest of england and not a campaign in nortern france
    It could be a good idea but i really do not know
  • PietroMiccaPietroMicca Senior Member Posts: 234Registered Users
    If there will be a Saga descending from Empire, call me.
    edited July 2017
    I think that 1066, WIlliam The Conquerer is unlikely. It`s one big battle of Hastings and the rest is minor actions in comparison to that bigger battle.

Viking Invasion fits the description of returning to a previous iteration of Total War and getting it right. And also the theme; Lots of warring kingdoms with a heathen invasion happening.

• SbygneusSbygneus Posts: 799Registered Users
    When Fall of the Samurai appeared with gatlings, rifled muskets etc. my thinking was American Civil War Total War was coming. And I was happy.

A few years later we are still in Ancient/Medieval Eras. And now we speculate about next historical game being something so much overused as Vikings. What for?

Why not more modern warfare game?
    ESKEHL said:

Begad, ESKEHL, that's a hell of a find if it's true. That segment of shoreline looks uncannily similar.

The rise of Alfred the Great would be an awesome choice for one of these sagas. One of my favourite passages from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle describes Alfred's desperate fightback after being pushed back to his resistance stronghold in the swamps:

"...and most of the people they [the Danes under Guthrum] killed, except the King Alfred, and he with a little band made his way by wood and swamp, and after Easter he made a fort at Athelney in the marshes of Somerset, and from that fort kept fighting against the foe."

Quite a few scholars believe that Athelney was the precursor of King Arthur's Camelot Castle in Avalon, so for those asking for a TW: King Arthur, this could be your non-fiction version ;)

The devs have mentioned this one won't be character-driven, so maybe it is centred around the Great Heathen Army as you suggest. It would certainly segue on nicely from from where Attila left off.
    edited July 2017
    what do you think about my comment of the russian medieval era?
    I think it would be a good idea to make one about some important event of the first or second world war. For example verdun: Total war because those events were significant and happened to them also very influential. But they would have to take good care of it so that the central idea of ​​total war in the battles, because in these times the tactics of combat are totally changed, and the battles are not so linear and direct, then they would have to make a good combination For a good result
    edited July 2017

what do you think about my comment of the russian era?

I enjoyed the pictures :D

I don't know much about that period, to be honest, but I'm not sure there was a definitive conflict or sequence of pivotal events around then that would suit CA's "flashpoint" format for these sagas. Perhaps they will do a Mongol Invasion, but if so it would most likely be of Europe (rather than Rus) given the series' target audience.
    Post edited by Fredrin on
    To include the flashpoint aspect might be cool about the expansion of the Moscow principality over Mongol oppression, as well as the Chinese release of these same
    One of the most important battle in this period of russia is kulikovo battle at 1380

Where the mountains of mourne sweep down to the sea ...

That picture makes it even more convincing that the Total War Saga series will kick off with something related to Rome II/Attila time-period set on the British Isles
    Fredrin said:

Begad, ESKEHL, that's a hell of a find if it's true. That segment of shoreline looks uncannily similar.

The rise of Alfred the Great would be an awesome choice for one of these sagas. One of my favourite passages from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle describes Alfred's desperate fightback after being pushed back to his resistance stronghold in the swamps:

"...and most of the people they [the Danes under Guthrum] killed, except the King Alfred, and he with a little band made his way by wood and swamp, and after Easter he made a fort at Athelney in the marshes of Somerset, and from that fort kept fighting against the foe."

Quite a few scholars believe that Athelney was the precursor of King Arthur's Camelot Castle in Avalon, so for those asking for a TW: King Arthur, this could be your non-fiction version ;)

The devs have mentioned this one won't be character-driven, so maybe it is centred around the Great Heathen Army as you suggest. It would certainly segue on nicely from from where Attila left off.

I Agree! That time-period and setting done right would be as thrilling as Attila I imagine. Basically taking "The Last Kingdom" and "Vikings"-series and make Total War game out of it!
    ESKEHL said:

I Agree! That time-period and setting done right would be as thrilling as Attila I imagine. Basically taking "The Last Kingdom" and "Vikings"-series and make Total War game out of it!

Without Orlando Bloom's cruddy "acting" and Vikings' complete disregard for historical accuracy, this sounds like it could actually be quite a good thing! :p
  • SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 685Registered Users
    That's Ireland alright, looks like were're getting another Viking Invasion. To be honest I was expecting something related to Alexander, but this is awesome too.
    Yeah I was also thinking of Alexander, but Viking Invasion done right - no complaints from me!
  • MadSamuraiMadSamurai Senior Member Posts: 254Registered Users
    This would be a great opportunity for CA to test out new gameplay mechanics in the total war universe. E.g, say you have a campaign that is live instead of turned based. Small investments are great for experimenting.
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 632Registered Users
    Really excited for this idea! Can't wait to hear what setting this first Saga game is in...I am a slight bit disappointed that we didn't get that info as part of this announcement.
    edited July 2017
    What I would expect from the Saga series
    For me I only hope that there is some soul in this saga game. I mean, the description of the TW-Saga series pretty much demands it. Attila was great in that regard, with predominant themes of "end of the world is nigh", with emphasis on the huns and climate change. But I also think it fared with pointing out the differences of the cultures. I really go the sense of playing as a clan when I choose celtic or germanic tribes. I did get a sense of an advance state when choosing the Roman empires or the Sassanid empire.

Age of Charlamagne was great, especially in that regard as it managed to set up medieval themed expansion. But it I feel that I could really tell that it was a dlc campaign and not a regular grand campaign. Don`t get me wrong, I like AoC, but I think that it has a campaign were you could see it didn`t have the polish of the grand campaign, and for picturing a history-changing experience that could very well be a game in it self. I thought it lacked a bit setting and theme, almost a bit rushed out to the release. It could be seen in the battles for example with towns directly ported from the grand campaign.

I hope that this new Saga-game will have similar polish as of that of Attila grand campaign. If it is a vikings game, I do really hope that it will contain not just differences bwetween vikings and the anglo-saxon kingdoms but also differences between the already present kingdoms on the isles in terms of buildings characters etc. Irish, scottish, pictish, walesish etc.

Continued DLCs for Attila
    In terms of the continued DLC support for Attila, I have a great idea! Port the Imperator Augustus campaign to Attila as a free release to everyone who owns Rome II. That would also be easily done. Everything has been done before, and it gives fans of Attila who wants to play the early to peak imperial period a great grand campaign, improved by the Attila features. It deals with classical themes such as civil war, but could also end up being about roman-parthian wars, conquest of britain etc.
  • NinjNinj Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited July 2017
    I thought it was gonna be the early arab conquest which happen in a brief period of time just around two hunderds years after Attila. But the viking invasion of England sounds awesome too.
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 878Registered Users

I hope are not "campaigns DLC" sold as 59.99€ games.
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    I do hope they get the atmosphere and the lighting right. There's too much gloom in Attila sometimes. "But that was the whole idea" - yeah right, Attila didn't permanently black out the sun when he came, weather is a separate phenomenon independent of Attila's actions, and there IS such a thing as going too far while trying to set the mood.
    The last thing I want is - "Danes are coming! So let's have fog, rain, mininum lighting, and a screaching female voice in the background."