Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Need Help Unlocking Last Region Through Duels.

Emperor of the UniverseEmperor of the Universe Posts: 10Registered Users
I'm currently going through an up down up down with my duelings. I was just 4 victories away from unlocking it, but the next 8 matches killed my chances to finally getting that region cause the opponents were way better equipped than me. So I need help badly.

My current army is 1 Longsword Knights, 1 Swordsmem, 1 Medium Cavalry, 1 Longbow Archers, 2 Hunters, 2 Viking Hunters, and 1 Ballistas.

Religion Abilities are set with War Cry, Slay Them All, and Reinforce.

I know it is possible to unlock the last region through the duel, because 2 of those higher level players got to unlock that last region after defeating my poor army. Help?

Please note: I want to unlock the last region through renown.
Tagged:

Comments

• HybridHybrid Junior Member Posts: 622Registered Users
    Get rid of the Hunters and replace them with a Longbow Archer and another unit of choice.

Unless you're frequently facing opponents using 2+ cavalry, it's probably better to not use 2 Viking Hunters. Just use one, and try your best to get them to engage the enemy cavalry unit. Use Saviours to bail them out of a bad engagement, or move them at the last second as a fake out before the charge.

You didn't say anything about the levels of your units or religion abilities. A full 2-star army is very helpful.

War Cry is fine, but if you find it's getting countered too much, replace it with Swarm.

Reinforce is fine, but it's better at level 3 and used on Knights Cavalry and Viking Lords -- which you don't have. If you end up using 3 ranged units, consider replacing with Take Aim.

Since you should replace your Hunters anyway, consider buying Javelin Throwers. Being able to use Wild Shot at the start of battle is very strong. If you go this route, combine with Scout.

If you're feeling more daring, you can go three spearmen, 2 swordsmen, 1 longsword knight, 2 archers. Spear Wall keeps the spearmen alive, and then you bail them out with Saviours. That's how I got to rank 12 with my goldless account.
  • Emperor of the UniverseEmperor of the Universe Posts: 10Registered Users
    Hybrid said:

Get rid of the Hunters and replace them with a Longbow Archer and another unit of choice.

Unless you're frequently facing opponents using 2+ cavalry, it's probably better to not use 2 Viking Hunters. Just use one, and try your best to get them to engage the enemy cavalry unit. Use Saviours to bail them out of a bad engagement, or move them at the last second as a fake out before the charge.

You didn't say anything about the levels of your units or religion abilities. A full 2-star army is very helpful.

War Cry is fine, but if you find it's getting countered too much, replace it with Swarm.

Reinforce is fine, but it's better at level 3 and used on Knights Cavalry and Viking Lords -- which you don't have. If you end up using 3 ranged units, consider replacing with Take Aim.

Since you should replace your Hunters anyway, consider buying Javelin Throwers. Being able to use Wild Shot at the start of battle is very strong. If you go this route, combine with Scout.

If you're feeling more daring, you can go three spearmen, 2 swordsmen, 1 longsword knight, 2 archers. Spear Wall keeps the spearmen alive, and then you bail them out with Saviours. That's how I got to rank 12 with my goldless account.

All of my units are level 3, so you can imagine just how long I've been dueling this year alone.

Thanks for the advice.

Just to let you know, I was very fortunate today, for I have finally unlocked the last region with my original army of 1 Longsword Knights, 1 Swordsmem, 1 Medium Cavalry, 1 Longbow Archers, 2 Hunters, 2 Viking Hunters, and 1 Ballistas. There was no chance for me to get the Javelin Throwers for my gold is being used for my Knights' Manor units. So expensive.

To give you a better idea why I struggled so much getting to rank 12, my opponents are usually armed with Trebuchets and sometimes with Mangonels, even 3 Ballistas were a problem at times. Crazy enough to fire them into the fraying units in the front, killing both sides. When it came down to the fighting units, I had to zoom in to aim my single unit of Ballistas to kill the enemy troops without hitting my own. And of course, the other units that were frequently higher than my own were quite a problem. That's why I had to resort to ranged units to kill as much of them as possible before they engaged my melee units.

The opposing Composite Bow Archers and Crossbowmen were very much a pain too. A few times my opponents purchased the flaming arrows. So devastating in just 2 or 3 volleys. Some used Viking units, and one player even bought reinforcements which surprised me since I was outgunned by 3 units of Mangonels, or was it Trebuchets? I think it was Trebuchets that one time. Just a single unit of Trebuchets or Mangonels were a problem to deal with. So devastating in a single attack, but quite time consuming to fire over and over again.

As for the calvary units, they too were a difficult challenge to get over. One time, a player had reinforce for all of the frontline calvary, and just when I thought my front units were about to win, the reinforcements appeared in great numbers, only to turn the tide against me when my units' abilities went into cool-downs. One maneuver I didn't anticipate.

The religion aspect of the dueling was quite intense, just waiting for the right moment to use them was very critical in some of my duelings. Take Aim is good when the enemy ranged units have been wiped out and I still had some ranged units. The Swarm is a pain to deal with most of the time. But if able, my units were able to stop that a few times. As anyone ever tried to use the Swarm in the front of the battle, instead of always using it on the ranged units in the back?

At least only 5 or 6 players I dueled against had way better equipped units because I wasn't able to wipe out a single unit. Like there was at least 2 or 6 troops in several units left in order for me to gain that extra experience point at the end. There were some close ones where I duel ended with 1 or 3 troops left. Such good matches those were, even if I lost. Good fought battles that made it enjoyable and worth the effort.

Now that I've accomplished a very intense and very long dueling, I must try to gain every Master appearing more frequently as I level up. And I got a whole lot of trees to cut down and build my 6th Castle. I think I have to pave deep valley. After that is done, it's onto upgrading the rest of the buildings.

Again, thanks for the advice. I'll keep those tactics in mind when my army has every unit in my listing.