Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Upgrading my SSD

CvejoCvejo Registered Users Posts: 5
edited July 2017 in Technology
I realize that this may not be the best place to post this question, but I've been thinking about getting Warhammer, though am not sure about my PC's specifics.

The model is Asus N551j (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850 graphics card, the processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.50 GHz, 8,00 GB RAM memory [7,88 usable])

What worries me the most is the load-times. From what I've gathered, they should range up to, like, 4-5 minutes mid-to-late game. Using SSD could provide the solution, however this computer goes along with SanDisk SSD U100 24GB.

Is my understanding that I will not be able to install Warhammer on that SSD and an upgrade is necessary to play this game? And, perhaps, more importantly, what kind of SSD upgrade do I need?

Should the game run nicely with just that upgrade or I need to work on some other specs?

Kindest regards!

Comments

• Horus168Horus168 Registered Users Posts: 578
    I can definitely reccomend an ssd, when i moved twwh onto one, load times went from being a pain to being barely noticeable.
    Twwh is pretty huge when patching itself, so you'll probably need a relatively large SSD. 100gb maybe if you only want twwh on it, bigger if you want other things to.
    Other than that the graphics card and RAM look like the limiting factors, but they can be easily upgraded later...
  • CvejoCvejo Registered Users Posts: 5
    I've got close to none experience with upgrades. So what precisely SSD should I get that'd be compatible?
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,065
    Cvejo said:

I've got close to none experience with upgrades. So what precisely SSD should I get that'd be compatible?

If you had a desktop it would be fairly easy. With a Laptop it gets more complicated especially as on that model it doesn't appear to have came with an SSD initially so you can't just upgrade to a large capacity. That model probably doesn't have room for an internal SSD so while I normally wouldn't recommend external SSD they do usually improve load times over the base hard drive in the laptop but usually fall somewhere between an SSD and the current hard drive so unless you can't get a new laptop for a long time I'd recommend just save the money for SSD and put it toward new laptop.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
    edited July 2017
    Ichon said:

Cvejo said:

If you had a desktop it would be fairly easy. With a Laptop it gets more complicated especially as on that model it doesn't appear to have came with an SSD initially so you can't just upgrade to a large capacity. That model probably doesn't have room for an internal SSD so while I normally wouldn't recommend external SSD they do usually improve load times over the base hard drive in the laptop but usually fall somewhere between an SSD and the current hard drive so unless you can't get a new laptop for a long time I'd recommend just save the money for SSD and put it toward new laptop.
    You may have missed it in my original post; it does have (internal, of course) SSD - SanDisk SSD U100 24GB.

This laptop is fairly new; yeah, I don't really have the money to do it any time soon, but it wouldn't really make sense either since it's barely over a year since purchase. It also cost quite a lot; over a grand.
    Post edited by Cvejo on
    Yeah I didn't see that... 24 gb? Huh, that is a weird #. Is Windows loaded on that? Is it your C:drive showing the SSD?

Anyway so long as Windows is on another drive matching the connection type should be easy replacement of SSD on most laptops just alot of screws to undo. However some models are more complicated and your best bet is looking for a video in that laptop model family showing step by step.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
    Yeah, I guess it's weird since the model is relatively new and pretty expensive/advanced, but I think it was just such a policy for Asus back then?

No, Windows is not on it; it's far too small to house Windows 10, I think (it requires A LOT of space, surprisingly much if I may say).

I guess I could get Windows 8.1 to go there, since it takes a lot less space and would fit within 24 GBs.

Yeah, I've been looking into it across the Web and can't really find anything about my model; I guess I could go official with them but I think they're just gonna redirect me to their local service?
    edited July 2017
    Win 10 minimum space is only 15gb so it would fit on a 24gb SSD but I am trying to figure out why use a 24gb SSD if not for Windows since OS is the most important program other than some games or editing software that benefits from SSD but 24gb is too small for most things other than OS.

Anyway- sorry, just a weird amount of space to me and I had to look up why they would do this and it appears to be an alternative to hybrid drives so the 24gb is used as a cache to speed overall system performance.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/notebook-clinic-77/curious-about-ssd-hdd-3851211.html

So depending how they added that cache SSD you might have very easy upgrade or slightly more complicated. If it is just a m2 slot in the laptop so long as it is easily accessible it is a really easy upgrade just unscrewing things, pulling old out, adding new, boot up into BIOS and make 1 change, save and exit and you should be good to go. mSATA is almost as easy just slightly more changes in the BIOS.

More complicated is possible and since I've only worked on laptops a handful of times I am not going to go into super complicated advice as it is quite easy I'd miss a step somewhere and leave you more confused.

Looking around online there are plenty of people who have upgraded various ASUS laptops similar to yours so it should be possible and I'd look for some videos as I said.

Looks like it might be a mini mSATA though Crucial claims it is regular mSATA- I couldn't find an ASUS with just the J designator, there was always 2 letters, so do you have JK, JM, JN, JT? There are differences between the models on what type of SSD was used.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/n551jm/CT8520413

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/inside-asus-n551vw-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/ (slightly different model but should be pretty close as far as how to open)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820147410

It's N551JK.
    edited July 2017
    You have a few options apparently-

The best and easiest might be to remove the optical drive if you don't/rarely use it. Before that definitely make a Windows installation disk and perhaps even backup some files. Once installed you can boot up normally and adjust anything you want even paring down your current install and cloning it to the new SSD so Windows operates on the new drive and keeping the hard drive just for non-game stuff.

http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/asus-n551jk-upgrade-ram-ssd-hdd-guide/

Since it seems your optical drive might also be BluRay you might want to keep it and then you have some other options. 1st is to replace the current hard drive and the easiest method is to clone the drive so your info transfers to the SSD and your computer can boot up that might require a couple changes in the BIOS which you maybe can do before removing the hard drive otherwise you might need access to a second PC. This will give overall the fastest increase in speeds but since 1tb SSD still cost several hundreds maybe not ideal as cheaper SSDs will mean you lose alot of storage space.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-HDD-SSD-hard-drive-caddy-for-ASUS-N551-N551JM-N551JK-N551JQ-9-5mm-SATA-/121631580980

The other option is replacing the cache SSD and so far I haven't found a good video or pictures of the JK model but hopefully you are lucky and the mSATA SSD isn't buried beneath anything and just means a few extra screws to undo. That preserves your hard drives storage space but leaves Windows on a slower hard drive and if you wanted to preserve the cache function would require some complicated partitioning or you might get more SSD space but your laptop would boot up considerably slower (though games and other stuff loaded onto the new SSD would be fast).