Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A few questions regarding the Wood Elves, the Beastmen and pistoliers

cool_ladcool_lad Senior MemberIndiaRegistered Users Posts: 2,276
Could someone kindly answer the following questions:-
1. Can someone please explain the primal fury and bloodgreed mechanics of the beastmen to me.
2. How does one properly use pistoliers? Their short range, long reload and bad melee capabilities really makes me wonder how to get any decent use out of them
3. Are wood elves supposed to all look the same (same face and hair for every single model in a unit)?
4. Does Orion have only one attack animation (spear stabbing); does he ever use his bow and arrows?

Comments

• blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,119
    cool_lad said:

1. Can someone please explain the primal fury and bloodgreed mechanics of the beastmen to me.
    2. How does one properly use pistoliers? Their short range, long reload and bad melee capabilities really makes me wonder how to get any decent use out of them
    3. Are wood elves supposed to all look the same (same face and hair for every single model in a unit)?
    4. Does Orion have only one attack animation (spear stabbing); does he ever use his bow and arrows?

1 just hover over the ability in game it will say what it does
    2 dont use them
    3 yes
    4 yes

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • corvocorvo Junior Member SpainRegistered Users Posts: 3,063
    cool_lad said:

1 no idea.

2 They are skirmishers, good for early game, If you want to use them, they are good surrounding the enemy units and firing in the back. In skirmish mode, they will flee automatically leaving a distance of security with the enemies,
    also are very useful to persecute troops that retire so that they do not return.

3, nope, CA just use the same face for a entire troop.

4 no idea, some people say "yes" But I have never seen it
    Team Skavens

"Brother Skavens! Consider this... Until the coming of Vermek Skab, the Council of Thirteen placed me in command of this army"
    - Grey Seer Thanquol, ruthlessly taking command of the Nuln Invasion force
  • TherenTheren Registered Users Posts: 296
    edited July 2017
    cool_lad said:

1. No idea.
    2. Use them against minotaurs in skirmish mode. Is kinda fascinating how easily they can kill large, slow unarmored beasts.
    3. Just how every ork and dwarf is like the same.
    4. No Orion wont usi his bow. He has speers what magically appear in his hand. If you would have magically appearing speers why would you use the bow?
  • RodentofDoomRodentofDoom Registered Users Posts: 566
    Pistoliers are a harassment unit

very early game, use their speed to get behind enemy lines for rear attacks,
    you can also use them to chase retreating units till they leave the field entirely.

as soon as you get outriders their effective usefulness is over

they are a very limited, niche usage unit
    they are NOT a skirmish unit
  • CPTANTCPTANT Registered Users Posts: 42
    To be honest I find pistoliers completely useless.

Just get another unit of swordsman or crossbowman and if you need cavalry build reiksguard, outriders or empire knights.
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 7,165
    cool_lad said:

1. +4 att, immune to psycho, 12% speed and something else i believe
    2. They r weak, only good at units with really low armor, they r what they r for their cheap costs, out riders r they ones u should be using.
    3. Looks doesnt matter
    4. Orion dont have a bow and arrow. He just stabd with spear and magic spear throw
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • MontresorMontresor Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 320
    Personally, in the early game I find pistoliers invaluable. Their 360 degree fire arc is especially useful when being pursued, and they are a fast distraction unit which either succeeds in drawing some of the enemy line away into a futile chase, or they quickly get into positions for enfilading fire. I prefer them to outriders due to their greater fire arc.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,408
    I'd only maybe use a single unit of Pistoliers for flavour in the later game. For swooshing around the flanks and shooting up units from the rear. As a way to facilitate a unit breaking earlier and freeing up infantry to go to help another fight. Maybe to engage an artillery unit somewhere too.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,055
    A use for Pistoliers? foot rest, cannon fodder and space in the bin.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,042
    If Empire was fighting Greenskins or maybe Vampires in the first 30 turns very frequently I could see Pistoliers having a place but vs other Empire armies Crossbows are so much more useful since they can easily kill the opposing Pistoliers and do lots of damage to other units as well.

Even Outriders while useful take a very long time to whittle down enemy units, handgunners do 4x the damage and are often worth the lower mobility even if they get charged and overrun they tend to do more damage than Outriders that harassed enemy entire battle.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,752
    edited July 2017
    1. Read the tooltips for them.

2. Whenever I used pistoliers I held them in reserve until my missile infantry engaged the enemy missile infantry. Then I would get them behind the enemy army and shoot them in the back, put them in melee to take out an artillery piece or use them to chase off routing units.

3. Yes. But there are mods available to provide more variety.

4. Yes orion only fights with his spear.