Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Beastmen update confirmed

Comments

• FinishingLast#1402FinishingLast#1402 Registered Users Posts: 4,856
    I think the point here everyone is trying to make is that everyone is happy with the Beastmen roster and does not want any changes or additions. Right? Or did I misread this?
    SiWI: "no they just hate you and I don't blame them."
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023

I think the point here everyone is trying to make is that everyone is happy with the Beastmen roster and does not want any changes or additions. Right? Or did I misread this?

You have understood perfectly and I hope that CA has the same interpretation
    boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • obippoobippo Member Registered Users Posts: 2,686
    edited July 2017

My point is just that people are going to complain no matter what you do. And I know people are passionate about this game because everyone has their favorite race, but my other point is that some of the comments are so hateful and unnecessary. Everyone could stand to be a little more appreciative of what we ARE getting, myself included :)

QFT, Rainbow

While I understand criticism and support people making suggestions to make a great game even better, a little appreciation is, well, appreciated. There is a difference between constructive feedback and straight-up complaining.

People are always caught up on what's missing (looking at you, 10 million "MISSING UNITS!!!" threads) that few actually take the time to appreciate what's there.

whatever_ said:

whatever_ said:

JUST MAKE THE GHORGON AND JABBER AND THE DEGREE OF **** WILL REDUCE IMMENSELY!

No it won't. People will find something else to complain about and act like it's the worst atrocity ever committed. People aren't happy unless they're complaining, and this game is a perfect example of this. CA has put out so much amazing content, much of it for free, and none of it we could have expected to get. Yet people still say they're terrible cuz they didn't give us EVERY faction with EVERY unit and named character from EVERY army book ever printed. The comments I see here sometimes are absolutely absurd.
    this is not true. i don't see people complaining about norsca or we roster which are much better. they **** up bm pretty bad, i don't expect any units for bm but it's normal people are unhappy.
    People immediately complained about norsca with the naming of the units, the model of the frost-wyrm, and the classic "wow they did all this for norsca but my dark elves got screwed" and other similar sentiments for different races. There wasn't much complaining about norsca itself, true, but worry not, people found ways to complain anyway
    yes but individual complaining doesn't matter. however bm were the only dlc that almost everyone was unhappy with with how they were handled.
    My point is just that people are going to complain no matter what you do. And I know people are passionate about this game because everyone has their favorite race, but my other point is that some of the comments are so hateful and unnecessary. Everyone could stand to be a little more appreciative of what we ARE getting, myself included :)

You guys should be thanking those of us who "spam threads whining and asking for stuff" because thanks to those "whiners" now you can enjoy 40 unit battles, a playable chaos faction, minor factions, high elf shields that don't look like cheap plastic, etc.

You can sit and keep bashing people who give feedback and ask CA to add stuff to the game while you enjoy the fruits of the "whining".

You are welcome :) .
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• TheHolyPilgrimTheHolyPilgrim Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 453
    obippo said:

You guys should be thanking those of us who "spam threads whining and asking for stuff" because thanks to those "whiners" now you can enjoy 40 unit battles, a playable chaos faction, minor factions, high elf shields that don't look like cheap plastic, etc.

You can sit and keep bashing people who give feedback and ask CA to add stuff to the game while you enjoy the fruits of the "whining".

Mate, you're confused. I do not mind people voicing their opinions. In fact, I promote it. Like I stated, there is a difference between constructive criticism and feedback, e.g. Kemmler could use Krell in order to differentiate himself and non-helpful complaints, e.g. VAMPIRES SUCK! OMG! I HATE BEASTMEN!

• uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 4,437
    edited July 2017
    I may have deleted my post by error :/

I just completed a coop campaign with them, and I'm more leaning into the "fix annoying campaign element" territory rather than "larger roster".

I like the kind of hide and strike style of gameplay but found out after several campaigns attempts that creating new horde is a very high risk/low reward mechanism, since a new horde

- is lead by a weak lord that can be easily killed by agents
    - lacks horde growth and upkeep buildings and skills at start
    - won't have the power to get stuff done by iself by the mid game
    - or is a raw money sink and a investiment that can be lost on a bad move/bad luck

So the best bet is to stick to a doom stack that can mucle its way through city after city. If you don't reach this apex, you have to hide from larger armies in the late game. While hemmoraging money of course.

That means that I may have won, but I couldn't even play with the whole current roster. Units with more niche role are therefore shafted because heroes, minotaurs, upkeep have priority.

There is no simple solution, but adding units won't be a gamechanger (save for MP maybe) and how a ghorgon wouldn't end being the superior pick to a giant anyway?
    To be fair, I really like the early to mid game gameplay of this faction, and I didn't expect to play them as much. But there is something missing to make the late stage of the game valuable, imho.
    I'd really like to have several herds working in unisson, but this requires just plowing without accident in every city. And then where is the fun in this? Just Autoresolving your 50th siege is boring.
  • whatever_whatever_ Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 411

obippo said:

Mate, you're confused. I do not mind people voicing their opinions. In fact, I promote it. Like I stated, there is a difference between constructive criticism and feedback, e.g. Kemmler could use Krell in order to differentiate himself and non-helpful complaints, e.g. VAMPIRES SUCK! OMG! I HATE BEASTMEN!

so where did you find that kind of feedback? i find it funny how fanboys try to hijack every thread that has any criticism yet they are the only one that are being toxic.
  • TheHolyPilgrimTheHolyPilgrim Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 453
    edited July 2017
    Primarily the speculation threads that you can find here, the Feedback and Suggestions thread (that people should visit more often) and threads outside of this forum, as well as Youtube videos.

EDIT: Wasn't sure if you meant the constructive kind or the toxic kind, so I'm stating where I found the constructive kind
  • RainbowDinosaurs789RainbowDinosaurs789 Registered Users Posts: 43
    obippo said:

QFT, Rainbow

While I understand criticism and support people making suggestions to make a great game even better, a little appreciation is, well, appreciated. There is a difference between constructive feedback and straight-up complaining.

People are always caught up on what's missing (looking at you, 10 million "MISSING UNITS!!!" threads) that few actually take the time to appreciate what's there.

whatever_ said:

whatever_ said:

JUST MAKE THE GHORGON AND JABBER AND THE DEGREE OF **** WILL REDUCE IMMENSELY!

No it won't. People will find something else to complain about and act like it's the worst atrocity ever committed. People aren't happy unless they're complaining, and this game is a perfect example of this. CA has put out so much amazing content, much of it for free, and none of it we could have expected to get. Yet people still say they're terrible cuz they didn't give us EVERY faction with EVERY unit and named character from EVERY army book ever printed. The comments I see here sometimes are absolutely absurd.
    this is not true. i don't see people complaining about norsca or we roster which are much better. they **** up bm pretty bad, i don't expect any units for bm but it's normal people are unhappy.
    People immediately complained about norsca with the naming of the units, the model of the frost-wyrm, and the classic "wow they did all this for norsca but my dark elves got screwed" and other similar sentiments for different races. There wasn't much complaining about norsca itself, true, but worry not, people found ways to complain anyway
    yes but individual complaining doesn't matter. however bm were the only dlc that almost everyone was unhappy with with how they were handled.

I'm not bashing people who voice their opinions in an attempt to provide insight to the developers. I'm merely saying that some people go too far. I've seen people say that CA have trashed their favorite race, or complain that CA never listens, or a host of other things. Some people make posts that are angry, derogatory, and almost make it seem like they've been personally attacked. There's no need for it.
  • Lunaticprince#9972Lunaticprince#9972 Registered Users Posts: 6,836

Actually not but ok.

• MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,166
    whatever_ said:

so where did you find that kind of feedback? i find it funny how fanboys try to hijack every thread that has any criticism yet they are the only one that are being toxic.

When Lord_Xelos comes into a discussion and says that CA should be hung for not putting the Jabber into the game. Which is a direct quote from him.
    MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

When Lord_Xelos comes into a discussion and says that CA should be hung for not putting the Jabber into the game. Which is a direct quote from him.
    where is that post? is it deleted? i can't find it in this thread.
    whatever_ said:

MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

Not in this thread. But nigh every Jabber discussion he's there, threatening people with death for not doing his vision. The post was deleted by mods too for breaking ToS. Can't really threaten the owners with death and all.
    MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

Not in this thread. But nigh every Jabber discussion he's there, threatening people with death for not doing his vision. The post was deleted by mods too for breaking ToS. Can't really threaten the owners with death and all.
    yes but how is this relevant for this thread and this discussion?
  • obippoobippo Member Registered Users Posts: 2,686
    MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

This is my favourite Xelos' post:

"In my dictionary demanding full price for expansion without any groundbreaking changes and additions would be plain robbery. And should be dealt with as such the old fashion way - lynch."
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• FinishingLast#1402FinishingLast#1402 Registered Users Posts: 4,856
    I almost liked your post just as a way of agreeing with you how memorable and insane that quotes is before realizing "liking" it probably wouldn't be the best move.
    SiWI: "no they just hate you and I don't blame them."
    whatever_ said:

MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

Maybe I misinterpreted you, but I took it as a defense for "whiners", and I just wanted to say that neither side is perfect.
  • SaurianDruid#4682SaurianDruid#4682 Registered Users Posts: 1,723
    The only Beastmen mechanic that could really use a revamp is creating a new warherd. The same is true for Chaos as well. It takes so long to get a new horde up and running that it's honestly kind of a pain. Maybe there should be an option for a well developed warherd to place a special herd stone that dramatically increases horde growth for armies in the territory or something. That way you can set it up and let your newer herd build up until it's competitive. Likely let it provide replenishment too for the times the moon only gives you 10% so you don't have to re-train your entire army every time.

Maybe the super herd stone can only be erected on nation capitals. That would give you more incentive to raze Altdorf as well as give you a bigger reward. Then make each city on Athel Loren also count so that taking the time to conquer the forest gives you a massive growth boost inside it, turning it into a base of operations. This is all but impossible in anything but late game anyway, and corrupting Athel Loren should cause it to explode with waves of beastmen that can easily overrun the world. It would make late game way more fun than just taking your one or two armies and playing cleanup.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    I already found a way to improve on that, I just modded the growth bonus coming from the central horde "building" to be global. That means the more hordes you have the faster they grow.
  • HircaneHircane Registered Users Posts: 119

The only Beastmen mechanic that could really use a revamp is creating a new warherd. The same is true for Chaos as well. It takes so long to get a new horde up and running that it's honestly kind of a pain. Maybe there should be an option for a well developed warherd to place a special herd stone that dramatically increases horde growth for armies in the territory or something. That way you can set it up and let your newer herd build up until it's competitive. Likely let it provide replenishment too for the times the moon only gives you 10% so you don't have to re-train your entire army every time.

Maybe the super herd stone can only be erected on nation capitals. That would give you more incentive to raze Altdorf as well as give you a bigger reward. Then make each city on Athel Loren also count so that taking the time to conquer the forest gives you a massive growth boost inside it, turning it into a base of operations. This is all but impossible in anything but late game anyway, and corrupting Athel Loren should cause it to explode with waves of beastmen that can easily overrun the world. It would make late game way more fun than just taking your one or two armies and playing cleanup.

Man you just explained my vision. I just want them tobe able to acctually "take" the terretory and not just rase it.
    MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

MrJade said:

whatever_ said:

Maybe I misinterpreted you, but I took it as a defense for "whiners", and I just wanted to say that neither side is perfect.
    Guys stay on topic, feel free to create a thread if you wish to discuss these things however.✌
    This is interesting.

Another thing I noticed is that the second reward for sacking, the +8 horde growth is not that interesting in the late game. At least not on its own. Even with all the technology seemed the units healing is bugged and quite slow, that means I had to use the morrslieb effect that gave me more healing but at the cost of -20 growth. This is annoying because a newish herd can have it's early growth progress wiped out (the main horde stacks many bonus, between the main building and the blue skills)

And after sacking you're left very vulnerable, not hidden and suffering attrition. That's why I'd advocate for a third sack option that would heal my army (call it gorging on meat or something) or add that effect to the desecrate one.

Anyway, any thing that makes the ravaged territory a bit friendlier would be a nice addition in my book.
    uriak said:

This is interesting.

Another thing I noticed is that the second reward for sacking, the +8 horde growth is not that interesting in the late game. At least not on its own. Even with all the technology seemed the units healing is bugged and quite slow, that means I had to use the morrslieb effect that gave me more healing but at the cost of -20 growth. This is annoying because a newish herd can have it's early growth progress wiped out (the main horde stacks many bonus, between the main building and the blue skills)

And after sacking you're left very vulnerable, not hidden and suffering attrition. That's why I'd advocate for a third sack option that would heal my army (call it gorging on meat or something) or add that effect to the desecrate one.

Anyway, any thing that makes the ravaged territory a bit friendlier would be a nice addition in my book.

Beastmen territory would be badass in my opinion. To make this work you really could create "usefull" settlements in thr grand capitals and athel loren and have the rest be useless but defendable. That the other playstyle does not get disabled this could be a technology for late game right? So first you rampage and as it starts to get boring you take over? Am I overthinking things here?✌
    Starting a new warherd is easy, you do it exactly like you would with chaos; create the herd, transfer units from the parent horde to the new one, and then go kill more stuff

There are some penalties for transferring but it's a lot less harsh than trying to win with a dozen ungor units
    Hircane said:

uriak said:

This is interesting.

Beastmen territory would be badass in my opinion. To make this work you really could create "usefull" settlements in thr grand capitals and athel loren and have the rest be useless but defendable. That the other playstyle does not get disabled this could be a technology for late game right? So first you rampage and as it starts to get boring you take over? Am I overthinking things here?✌
    Btw I know this is litterally impossible to happen. Just thinking a bit outside of the box I guess but not expecting it. In my opinion a jabber or a gorghon would be quite possible(although less possible than Ror oc.)
    edited July 2017
    The issue is that when you create a herd then transfer troops you end up with two possible outcomes.

- you transferred high level stuff. Now your upkeep is rising insanely, especially if the old herd had the upkeep reductions skills and building. You have to kill stuf really quick, or have a very large coffer. And no, 10 turns worth of favor is often not enough, what if you see 4 armies converging while you siege a juicy city ? It happened to me and it was catastrophic. I just ended up doing this second warherd late in the game at at that point my main herd could wipe out any remaining city I wanted.
    - you transferred lower level stuff. You just got a costly brayherd, congrats! But you have to ensure it never ever meets a real enemy. My worst experience was having both herd camping together. Then suddently I get the message I failed an ambush with the smaller one, got to retreat, then hostile just attacked this herd that wandered too far from the main one. Lost everything.

With normal factions, creating secondary armies is the first step to consolidate your territory. But you're not running against time and can use your own garrisons to fight with weaker armies.

Oh, and did you want to tech up a new herd while waiting for another LL? good luck, you can't dismiss a lord and replace him with another...
    boyfights said:

Starting a new warherd is easy, you do it exactly like you would with chaos; create the herd, transfer units from the parent horde to the new one, and then go kill more stuff

There are some penalties for transferring but it's a lot less harsh than trying to win with a dozen ungor units

The issue with that tactic is the new horde won't have the buildings to replace lost units, and casualty replenishment for Beastmen is hilariously bad outside that one lunar boost every "month", which itself is randomized.

I also like to tailor different hordes to different builds to add variety to the campaign. One horde might have buildings to recruit minotaurs, cygors, and giants and go for a "Heavy hitter" style while another might focus on centigors, warhounds, and harpies and be all about vanguard deployment. I can't really do that without two sets of buildings.
    Maybe I just play a lot more aggressively than most, but that hasn't been my experience at all. The increased upkeep of a fresh herd with high level units is easy to offset with said herd's ability to make income on its own, and I usually consider 5 turns of favour an adequate buffer. It helps if you plan your overall course of attack, and try to make contingency plans in case your primary target becomes unavailable

CA did a fantastic job of making beastmen play radically different imo, they're a completely unique total war experience and it kills me a little bit every time I read posts about how they should work more like settled factions
  • Aman3712Aman3712 Registered Users Posts: 669
    boyfights said:

Maybe I just play a lot more aggressively than most, but that hasn't been my experience at all. The increased upkeep of a fresh herd with high level units is easy to offset with said herd's ability to make income on its own, and I usually consider 5 turns of favour an adequate buffer. It helps if you plan your overall course of attack, and try to make contingency plans in case your primary target becomes unavailable

CA did a fantastic job of making beastmen play radically different imo, they're a completely unique total war experience and it kills me a little bit every time I read posts about how they should work more like settled factions

One of the few things I know of that could be improved about the Beastmen are their Herdstones, in which me and some of the other folks here were throwing around possible ideas on how those could be reworked to make them better than they are now.

But in regards to their game play, i'd say that its fine the way it is!
    boyfights said:

I didn't say anything about upkeep. I can maintain two high level hordes fine. It's just that the second horde will be way more fragile because it takes so long to replenish, and I don't like sitting around waiting when I could be out there razing.

I agree that CA did a great job with the Beastmen. They are my favorite faction on the campaign and one of my favorites in battle. Raising a new horde is just a little thing I wish went a bit faster so I could have more themed armies running around at a time.

Ah, looking up now I see you were probably responding to someone else. My bad.

boyfights said:

I didn't say anything about upkeep. I can maintain two high level hordes fine. It's just that the second horde will be way more fragile because it takes so long to replenish, and I don't like sitting around waiting when I could be out there razing.

I agree that CA did a great job with the Beastmen. They are my favorite faction on the campaign and one of my favorites in battle. Raising a new horde is just a little thing I wish went a bit faster so I could have more themed armies running around at a time.

Ah, looking up now I see you were probably responding to someone else. My bad.
    My bad too, I'm phone posting and hate using quotes because they're tricky to edit to a reasonable size

The replenishment thing is another one I see a lot, and I don't mean to single you out, but my feeling based on my campaigns is that beastmen and chaos are not meant to hide and replenish, but rather to merge weaker units and hire new replacements instead so as to minimize the amount of time spent not burning the old world down. Even ignoring the in-game cost of hiding for ten turns, it just doesn't feel like a very chaosy thing to do

Some people argue that this makes it too hard to attain veteran status, but I call it survival of the fittest B)