Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Chaos Dwarfs Lore, Army, Units, Legendary Lords, and Tactics Discussion

IndyprideIndypride Senior MemberPosts: 1,679Registered Users

OVERVIEW

Its been awhile since my full Lore, Army, and Tactics videos, and I played a really fun game against the Dawi Zharr in Beginning of the End Times, which kicked my ass into high gear and made me want to cover these bad boys. This time we’re covering the Chaos Dwarfs of Zharr Naggrund, an ancient, malevolent group of Steampunk Demonbinders in love with fire, bulls, slavery, and Babylonian hats.

The Chaos Dwarfs are essentially a terrifying reflection of what the Dwarfs of the Karaz Ankor could have become, had their circumstances been just a little different. They’re similar in so many ways: their short, stocky stature rippling with muscle, their resilience and physical hardiness, their industrious nature and love of technology. And Their desire to create, to craft and build, to shape incredible works from simple raw materials and share it with the world. But where the Dwarfs of the Worlds Edge Mountains, those under Thorgrim Grudgebearer and Ungrim Ironfist and Kazador Dragonslayer, crafted majestic thrones and jewel encrusted decorations to adorn their great halls and demonstrate the power and culture of their race, the Chaos Dwarfs bent their work SOLELY towards malice and weaponry and the destruction of lesser races. They shared a very different kind of culture with the world. One of slavery, and death, and smoke belching monstrosities bound to demonic entities, that screeched and wailed, and echoed the torture millions of damned souls have endured in the warp throughout the eons.

Over the course of hundreds, even thousands of years, their interactions with the stuff of Chaos slowly twisted their bodies and their minds: they grew tusks and horns and wicked sharp teeth, and they grew hateful and evil, with a rampant desire to control flame and the hellish forces that rested beneath their very feet. Their military strategies combine overwhelming ranged warfare and terrifying Steampunk creations with Fire Sorcery and Demonic summons forged of pure molten lava and raging hot metal. And their armor and weaponry is amongst the finest in the world, ensorcelled by Hashut the Bull God, father of Darkness and patron deity of the Dawi Zharr.

If you’re a fan of sitting back and unleashing carnage from afar with massive artillery pieces that cause Earthquakes, Pitch Black Locomotives equipped with gigantic cannons and small arms weaponry, or guns that shoot literal lava, the Chaos Dwarfs are the race for you.

They have an incredible assortment of powerful toys to play with, and we haven’t even begun talking about their monstrous or infantry choices yet. Without a doubt one of the most unique and flavorful races in all of Warhammer fantasy.

Some Campaign Mechanics and Strategy

Your campaign start in Total War Warhammer 3, (which is when I’m expecting them to be implemented), will be pretty unique. There’s only one major race further East than you, the Ogre Kingdoms in the Mountains of Mourn, and taking them out early will be a pretty big priority. Because once you’ve killed them and taken over their Encampments, you have the map edge to your back and can expand in any direction, without worrying about your flank at all. There will be tons of Hobgoblin and Greenskin tribes around the Dark lands, but your settlements should provide a really stable base of income and operations with which to expand into the Worlds Edge mountains. Mount Gunbad will be a high priority for the Brightstone mine and 1500 income per turn, and from there you can look to expand southwards towards Black Crag and Nagashizar. Hopefully we’ll have Nagash in the game by that point so you have a major threat from the South. I can honestly see it being one of the easier campaigns just because of your location and economic base, it’s a bit like starting as the Chosokabe in Shogun 2, with their great farms and geographic position shielding them from being surrounded and attacked from multiple sides. The question is, how will public order be implemented for the Chaos Dwarfs? I’ve never been a fan of huge public order penalties as a way of slowing down the player, its just not fun to sit in settlements for 10-15 turns waiting for public order to stabilize. But frankly, maintaining control over slave populations IS an important part of Empire building with the Dawi Zharr, so using Infernal Castellans or Bull Centaur Taur’ruks to put down insurrections might play a large role in their early campaigns. Slavery undoubtedly will be some kind of gameplay mechanic, just like im expecting it with the Dark Elves, but we’ll have a much better idea about how Dark Lands slavery will play out once we see how its implemented for the Dark Elves. How would you implement a slavery mechanic that would be tactically interesting and fun to play with?

One mechanic I’d really like to see that I don’t think has ever been in a Total War game before, is the ability to become an Arms Dealer for factions, particularly the Norscans and Warriors of Chaos. So in the lore, the Chaos Dwarfs make a ton of money and gain a whole bunch of bad boy clout with the Ruinous Powers by selling them weapons like Hellcannons and Fireglaives and serving as mercenaries in their armies. The Northmen and Warriors of Chaos don’t really have the patience or the skill to create siege weapons like the Chaos dwarfs can, and some of their armor comes from the Dark Lands as well.
Just as a quick aside, it is important for me to mention that the Fire Dwarfs consider themselves as separate entities, and frankly consider themselves ABOVE the Ruinous Powers, they don’t worship any of the 4 main Chaos Gods and find it insulting when theyre conflated with Khornate Warriors for example. But the ability to create units like Hellcannons or Chaos Siege Giants and sell them on the diplomatic screen for serious cash or favors from other factions would add another dynamic to the, admittedly pretty boring and vanilla diplomatic system we currently have. Adding a bit more complexity certainly wouldn’t be a bad thing, it fits with Chaos Dwarf lore perfectly.

And it could also lead into mercenary factions like the Dogs of War or Southern Realms being able to sell their services to the highest bidder and fight in other factions battles. Which would be such an incredibly cool game mechanic and a fun way to make loads and loads of money. Imagine recruiting Leopolds Leopard Company and then being able to go to the Empire in the diplomacy screen and say hey, want some badass mercenary Pikemen dressed in leopard skin? Pay me a lotta gold and then we’ll talk about it.

I think the combination of powerful and unique looking monsters, a sturdy, heavily armored front line, meatshield tactics with cheap and expendable slaves, and the most devastating artillery in the trilogy makes for an incredibly interesting and diverse faction. I think they’ll be one of the most entertaining races in the 3 games comprising this Total War Warhammer saga.

Comments

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,912Registered Users
    Great work as always Indy.
  • obippoobippo Member Posts: 2,256Registered Users
    This is the only thing I need

Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 2,258Registered Users
    They will be really OP, cause they have everything you want Monsters,Attilery,Cavalry,Magic,Sneaky Gits,Slaves and cool hats!
  • ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Posts: 1,727Registered Users
    obippo said:

Words cannot describe how much I love this thing
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
  • FinCthulhuFinCthulhu Posts: 138Registered Users
    Slaanesh and the Dawi Zharr - the two factions I'm most looking forward to in the third game. Great video as always!
    +++ HOPE IS THE FIRST STEP ON THE ROAD TO DISAPPOINTMENT +++
  • IndyprideIndypride Senior Member Posts: 1,679Registered Users
    obippo said:

Lammasu are absolutely terrifying. I have no idea if CA is going to tackle a unit like that, but I can imagine their model for it if they did would be the stuff of nightmares
  • RazmirthRazmirth Posts: 2,190Registered Users
    I can't explain how excited I am for chaos dwarves. Jilted at the codex alter since I was a kid, and I've been waiting for years to see an iteration of them in a video game that isn't just in a chaos army as 1 artillery choice.

I hope they include enslaved black orcs and
    Hobgoblins, lamasu etc but I really hope they have a line focused mainly on chaos dwarves themselves. More pointy hats are needed, and Elves don't count. although they achieve the height requirements of being in the pointy hat club, they don't achieve the width, weight or sheer awesomeness of chaos dwarf hats.
  • ElkerethElkereth Posts: 257Registered Users
    I watched this video! I want a cookie! And milk.

Seriously, your lore videos are very enjoyable. Great comprehensive videos that help one prepare themselves for what to expect. You also do my favorite analysis videos. Keep it up!
  • CirdanCirdan Posts: 594Registered Users
    edited July 2017

OP you forgot to mention the fabulous hats.

Ps. I love your videos. <3
  • JastallJastall Junior Member Posts: 1,030Registered Users
    Their army roster kinda seems like Dwarfs, except better, since they only only have the tough ranks of massed infantry and the artillery of the Dawi, but also tarpit infantry, cavalry, magic, and monsters as well. Surely they must have a weakness in comparison to not make the vanilla Dwarfs furiously take refuge in their book of complaints.

Still, nice vid as always Indy.
  • FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Posts: 1,629Registered Users
    Jastall said:

Their army roster kinda seems like Dwarfs, except better, since they only only have the tough ranks of massed infantry and the artillery of the Dawi, but also tarpit infantry, cavalry, magic, and monsters as well. Surely they must have a weakness in comparison to not make the vanilla Dwarfs furiously take refuge in their book of complaints.

Their problems would likely be logistically. They'll have expensive units, won't be much good at trade diplomacy(like other chaos factions)
    Ontop of that they'll likely struggle with numbers, all the dwarf units hemselves will be low model count and the rest will likely have low leadership
  • rhinoinsomniacrhinoinsomniac Member Posts: 950Registered Users
    well, i hope to see Skaven and DE capable of trade. with each other? same goes for CD. i just think it would be a shame if every "evil" faction gets locked out of the trade game. these three could potentially use slaves as a trading resource.

the vid is awesome. listened to it to the very end.

honey will catch more flies than vinegar

Team Lizardmen

edited July 2017
    Jastall said:

My understanding is that they had a couple of problems on the tabletop. All the Chaos Dwarf units are very expensive to field, so for numbers you need a bunch of crappy slaves. And their army roster lacks synergy. The K'daai units effectively start crumbling once you get past turn 2 as the fire that binds them begins consuming them (so they need to get into melee as soon as possible to be good), but the artillery and range units want to delay melee combat for as long as possible so they have more time to fire. Half the army is designed for rushing and swarming, the other half is designed for defensive and ranged play. Both of these are problems that could transfer over to Total War Warhammer, especially pricing

Glad you enjoyed!
  • crazycrixcrazycrix Posts: 400Registered Users
    Nice video. Can't wait to play as them. It's my favorite race in Warhammer universe. As for the legendary lords, Drazhoath is a must but I don't think he's going to lead the main chaos dwarfs faction. In my opinion he's going to lead a subfaction- legion of Azgorh and the faction leader is going to be Astragoth Ironhand because he is the oldest sorcerer-prophet in Zharr-Naggrund. It will also create an interesting start of the campaign as the two LLs are at each other's throats. So they will most likely have to defete the other in order to expand and unite chaos dwarfs under one banner.

We Do Not Serve, We Rule!
  • RichardNRoundRichardNRound Posts: 719Registered Users
    obippo said:

I hope we get the lammasu at some point, but it will probably be dlc. I think it will probably look like this model.

Though this art work would be terrifying if brought to life in game.

• seienchinseienchin Senior Member Posts: 4,571Registered Users
    Indypride said:

Jastall said:

My understanding is that they had a couple of problems on the tabletop. All the Chaos Dwarf units are very expensive to field, so for numbers you need a bunch of crappy slaves. And their army roster lacks synergy. The K'daai units effectively start crumbling once you get past turn 2 as the fire that binds them begins consuming them (so they need to get into melee as soon as possible to be good), but the artillery and range units want to delay melee combat for as long as possible so they have more time to fire. Half the army is designed for rushing and swarming, the other half is designed for defensive and ranged play. Both of these are problems that could transfer over to Total War Warhammer, especially pricing

Glad you enjoyed!
    Depends...
    Are we talking 4th edition Chaos Dwarfs, 6th edition reavening hordes or are we talking those awful Forgeworld (Well, some people love them) Chaos Dwarfs.

4th edition Chaos Dwarfs were really powerful. Cheap greenskin cannon fodder + strong dwarf units and artillery. And - unlike dwarfs - they had magic users and cool monsters and great cavalry. If they hadnt been so expensive and would have been backed up by games workshop more they could have been one of the popular armies.

Now, 6th edition more or less were the same with some nerfs. Still a strong army. Only weakness was the lack of long ranged weapons outside of warmachines.

Forgeworlds army was more or less the same but added fire demons and WW1 artillery trains. Fire demons were a nice idea per se (although really superfluous...) but their rules were pretty lame and WW1 style artillery trains are just stupid but that is my personal opinion, in 8th edition lore regular dwarfs had trains and big airships as well (thanks WoW for some more influence on warhammer...) .
  • RichardNRoundRichardNRound Posts: 719Registered Users
    Seeing as these guys are my favourite faction I would love to see them, but there are a few issues I can see.
    The first is the roster:
    There are four key components of the CD army. Slaves, The chaos dwarf infantry, the monsters (lammasu, tauruses, k'daai, bull centaurs, etc.) and the war machines/artillery.

A perfect balance of these components is needed. Too great a focus on slaves would seem lazy, to great a focus on the dwarfs themselves seems to contradict the lore, too great a focus on artillery and they would just be reskinned dwarfs, and too great a focus on monsters they would loose a lot of thier flavour as engineers. The possible roster is huge and I want to see all of it at some point.

The second issue is the aesthetic of the army: the issue with the CD is that they could look to goofy or on the other end of the spectrum loose too much of thier flavour. They should have the hats, but they need to remain sinister. Masks are a great way of achieving this.

The other unit I am worried about it the K'daai destroyer. This has the opportunity to be one of the best monsters in the game. Sadly the artwork is not clear and the demo model from forgeworld is terrible:

The fan creations Are far superior, my favourite being:

• stuboy52stuboy52 Junior Member Posts: 82Registered Users
    Great work Indy, fantastic lore video as always. Nice to get a overview of the great variety of options available to the chaos dwarves. Can't wait to see which warmachines and monsters CA give them, so many cool options.
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    I really like them, and just had read the fan army book for them before you published the video. I was already thinking of what could be adapted or not.

Battle wise, the things that to me are core are

The hashut sorcerers, chaos warioors, blunderbuss, centaurs, the Taurus, seismic cannon.
    Themes that have to be present (but with which units? ) slaves, artillery train. (as in many artillery pieces, not the actual train XD, but moving "fast" artillery could be a nice mechanic)

Themes that seems more recent : golems (the K'daai)

That said, even if people love the lammasu, I wouldn't hold my breath. I think visually it's kinda bizarre, and it's purpose doesn't really exist in the TW ruleset. Anti magic and anti items aren't at all enough justification for a creature, not in a game where most big things are actually felled by basic missile units, and where items make characters marginally better. Plus the great Taurus is in the same power range and will make already a fine monstrous mount, I'm really looking forward to see this fiery beast in action.

Campaign wise, it's interesting to imagine what they are about. They share the same theme of a big central city with WE, and are one of the 3 factions running on slaves. Of course DE, skaven and CD are all evil, but in different ways, the actual CD population is precious for instance.
    They will share likely a grudge system - or they should - because they still have this loyalty and tenacity of their kin. Dunno about the morale of the units. Maybe it should be a tad lower, their main infantry could be a bit too similar to dwarfs, unless it suffers from a price hike.

And of course a campaign is nothing without the different threats. Ogres, chaos (at least up to some extent) and campaign objectives about raiding about anything. How they will fill the darkland is a mystery, normal greenskins could be a bit boring considering there is already the badlands on the west.

Finally, one of the deepest mystery is what about their main aesthetic. The good mix between overthe top ornaments and the nice detailling of the more chaotic looking one seems nice.

• NagashNagash Posts: 51Registered Users
    Great video as always. Would you say the chaos dwarfs have the strongest/ most devastating artillery in the game compared to dwarfs and empire?
    They probably have because, they worry a bit less after their personnal safety (not to skaven levels of course) and they use unholy blessings and actually embed demons in many of their engines.

Take the hellcannon, the only Warriors of chaos artillery piece, it's of chaos dwarfs origins and manned by servants of this race. And it's already the most dangerous artillery in the game unbreable, decent range, obscene damage and projectile steering. It can actually kills flyers trying to intercept it. Fortunately the AI does a really bad job at defending these...

Now, they have a few toys that could be scary. Magma cannons are like flame cannons. They may be too specialized but still flame cannons that hit can almost insta rout low level units. Seismic mortar is both a huge mortar but in the lore the impacts are so strong they actually slow units in the vicinity. Just picture this.
    Finally the damon engin is a kind of deamon powered steam tank.

One of their hero choice is a daemon smith , who is likely to buff their wargeat as well.

What they don't have, compared to the dawi of Karak Anzor are the flying gyrocopter family. They don't have irondrakes either. We can expect from them to focus on larger single artillery pieces rather than the usual 3-4 batteries from the normal dwarfs.
    Nagash said:

Great video as always. Would you say the chaos dwarfs have the strongest/ most devastating artillery in the game compared to dwarfs and empire?

Their artillery (like the Dreadquake Mortar) is significantly slower at firing. In fact it even had a special rule on the tabletop that demonstrated how slow it could fire given a mediocre or bad roll. But it should be hands down the most devastating artillery piece per shot in the trilogy. I actually had an argument with a few of my subs about its implementation in Sleepy's Chaos Dwarf mod, which you should try out if you havent already.

Essentially in that mod it can completely obliterate a blobbed infantry unit and easily take half the HP of an elite infantry unit in spaghetti line, IF it hits. In sieges, around gates and chokepoints, it can easily get between 80 and 200 kills in a single shot. Sound overpowered? Not really. Well, maybe against AI, but not against humans, and it does have some serious downsides. Fires like once a minute, can be dodged pretty easily, has a minimum fire arc, can be taken out by one magic missile or arrow of Kurnous, and costs 2200 gold. Its pretty niche, but when things line up, its absolutely devastating.

Thats EXACTLY how I want CA to implement it. Susceptible to counter battery tactics, but longer range and super slow fire rate with devastating damage.
    edited August 2017
    And I think the artillery train with Iron Daemon War Engines pulling groups of Magma cannons and dreadquakes in tow around the battlefield would just be the best thing ever. I doubt CA implements it, but they'll be legends if they do

edited August 2017
    @Indypride : I think we just have to turn this into a meme. BEEP BEEP the chaos dwarf hype train !
  • RazmirthRazmirth Posts: 2,190Registered Users
    Finally had the time to watch the video. Makes me excited to see them implemented ASAP, and good job on the lore and backround.
  • NagashNagash Posts: 51Registered Users
    Indypride said:

Nagash said:

Their artillery (like the Dreadquake Mortar) is significantly slower at firing. In fact it even had a special rule on the tabletop that demonstrated how slow it could fire given a mediocre or bad roll. But it should be hands down the most devastating artillery piece per shot in the trilogy. I actually had an argument with a few of my subs about its implementation in Sleepy's Chaos Dwarf mod, which you should try out if you havent already.

Essentially in that mod it can completely obliterate a blobbed infantry unit and easily take half the HP of an elite infantry unit in spaghetti line, IF it hits. In sieges, around gates and chokepoints, it can easily get between 80 and 200 kills in a single shot. Sound overpowered? Not really. Well, maybe against AI, but not against humans, and it does have some serious downsides. Fires like once a minute, can be dodged pretty easily, has a minimum fire arc, can be taken out by one magic missile or arrow of Kurnous, and costs 2200 gold. Its pretty niche, but when things line up, its absolutely devastating.

Thats EXACTLY how I want CA to implement it. Susceptible to counter battery tactics, but longer range and super slow fire rate with devastating damage.
    I saw the video on your channel of that chaos dwarf mod, it looked awesome. Would love if CA used something similar when it comes to the real thing. With a compact amount of troops in the middle of a fight against lesser expendable units, such as hobgoblins, tied in combat with ironbreakers and other elite units, they would feel the harshness of each shot especially, as you said, when it comes to street fights within sieges.

But I would imagine Dreadquake mortars would be vulnerable to fast cavalry coming around the flanks and flyers.

I would imagine CA would have a nightmare making Dreadquake mortars balanced when it comes to attacking sieges or else you would decimate the enemy.

Keep up the great work indy.
  • PonticWarlordPonticWarlord Posts: 277Registered Users
    Nagash said:

Indypride said:

Nagash said:

I saw the video on your channel of that chaos dwarf mod, it looked awesome. Would love if CA used something similar when it comes to the real thing. With a compact amount of troops in the middle of a fight against lesser expendable units, such as hobgoblins, tied in combat with ironbreakers and other elite units, they would feel the harshness of each shot especially, as you said, when it comes to street fights within sieges.

But I would imagine Dreadquake mortars would be vulnerable to fast cavalry coming around the flanks and flyers.

I would imagine CA would have a nightmare making Dreadquake mortars balanced when it comes to attacking sieges or else you would decimate the enemy.

Keep up the great work indy.
    I have a feeling they will have a hard time making it not overpowered or useless, depending on stats and stuff... and I imagine it might be both depending on the player and their play-style.
  • UrgatUrgat Posts: 994Registered Users

The other unit I am worried about it the K'daai destroyer. This has the opportunity to be one of the best monsters in the game. Sadly the artwork is not clear and the demo model from forgeworld is terrible:
    /blockquote>

It's been turned into a Khorne demon.

• Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,735Registered Users

Imo a pretty clear artwork in the end ;)

But yeah, I have expected more of it and the lacking resemblance with the horrible WIP Forgeworld bits was obvious. Probably because why it got trashed (and later picked from the garbage to be a new AoS unit).
    If I were in CAs design department, I would go for the regular K'daii look

and then create something along the line, just "bigger" (and more badass?). The idea with harnassing the " four legged bull-theme" (Hashut) like in the last artwork of the destroyer is not that bad. Just the implementation could be better.

For proxy fanmade models, I was always fond of this one.

which was also easy to copy ;)

-----Red Dox
    Red_Dox said:

Imo a pretty clear artwork in the end ;)

But yeah, I have expected more of it and the lacking resemblance with the horrible WIP Forgeworld bits was obvious. Probably because why it got trashed (and later picked from the garbage to be a new AoS unit).
    If I were in CAs design department, I would go for the regular K'daii look

and then create something along the line, just "bigger" (and more badass?). The idea with harnassing the " four legged bull-theme" (Hashut) like in the last artwork of the destroyer is not that bad. Just the implementation could be better.

For proxy fanmade models, I was always fond of this one.

which was also easy to copy ;)

-----Red Dox
    Oh wow I didnt see that picture of the K'daai Destroyer fighting the Stegadon in my version of Tamurkhan - Throne of Chaos. Thats an awesome picture. If CA can model their Destroyer off that artwork I'd be a very happy boy, so intimidating