Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Differentiating the Dark Elves and Norsca (and the Beastmen)

cool_ladcool_lad Senior MemberIndiaRegistered Users Posts: 2,276
At first glance, the Norscans and Dark Elves seem to follow similar battle philosophies; with generally squishy units that hit hard but may have a little trouble surviving. These factions are also backed up with abilities that make them hit harder the longer they stay in melee along with monsters.

The question then is what would be the general differences between these two factions in terms of their playstyle? Also, what differences would they have from the beastmen in battle?

Comments

• SegersgiaSegersgia Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 299
    I remember the Dark Elves being a big Glass Cannon, so expect them to be very hard hitting not very sustainable in battle.

Probably faster too, plus better magical capabilities and ranged weaponry.
  • iamtherealrazieliamtherealraziel Registered Users Posts: 243
    The dark elves getter better the more stuff dies, the. Norscans get better the longer they survive a prolonged combat. Dark elves buff is army wide norscan buffs are unit by unit. Dark elves can be heavily armored and have a reptile theme as opposed to a Woolley
    Mammmoth theme
  • Darkened1836Darkened1836 Registered Users Posts: 260
    Dark elves are superior in every single way is how you differentiate them.

Duh. :<
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,342
    Cough light cavalry cough

Also, actually giving them higher stats than an empire spearman

Cough high elf Spears without martial prowess cough
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 3,148
    Norsca is superior and will crush the useless druchi
    Yea I bet that'll be the case to. Norscas units have a defined role and look like they will fulfill said roles very well, whereas dark elf units are supposed to be versatile...

But we all know how ca treats versatile units in total war lol
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,023
    repeater xbows (with shields to boot) are likely to be one of the best low tier missile troops in the game which seems like a fairly major difference, not to mention proper missile cavalry and artillery

CA i am mad at u for making me look forward to playing dark elves juuuust a little bit

boyfights you are always here to confirmate every spark of originality
    or reason burns or acid bruises anyone,
    stop your gladiator love for agressions.
  • PrayPray Registered Users Posts: 1,394
    Dark elf are not true glass cannon . they have heavy armored unit like Black guard ,Cold one(+ dread )Knight and Skeleton knight maybe Hydra too . i think only witch elf have low armor .

play style should similar too Empire .

Norsca , think about Greenskin without ork .
    lucibuis said:

Norsca is superior and will crush the useless druchi

this is true though. hmmm who's best at playing vikings, is it dumb conehead elfes or actual vikings on hell steroids? who knows really
    boyfights said:

repeater xbows (with shields to boot) are likely to be one of the best low tier missile troops in the game which seems like a fairly major difference, not to mention proper missile cavalry and artillery

CA i am mad at u for making me look forward to playing dark elves juuuust a little bit

Their dark riders are outriders except without gunpowder, they're trash.
    Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

if they've released in-game stats or abilities or whatever i haven't seen them, but faster outriders that presumably have a better firing arc if not a 360 degree one and that can handle enemy missile troops in melee sounds pretty good to me

probably mostly because the missile cav options in warhammer as compared to the historical games are so weak that i'm willing to subject myself to playing elfes
    boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

if they've released in-game stats or abilities or whatever i haven't seen them, but faster outriders that presumably have a better firing arc if not a 360 degree one and that can handle enemy missile troops in melee sounds pretty good to me

probably mostly because the missile cav options in warhammer as compared to the historical games are so weak that i'm willing to subject myself to playing elfes
    I guess you just haven't heard, when they were talking about the roster, melee dark riders have low leadership and are meant for running down routing units, while the skirmishers, can't fire while moving and dont fire in 360 degrees, plus can't take shields like in the TT.
    Seldkam said:

I guess you just haven't heard, when they were talking about the roster, melee dark riders have low leadership and are meant for running down routing units, while the skirmishers, can't fire while moving and dont fire in 360 degrees, plus can't take shields like in the TT.

i hadn't seen that, i'm half disappointed nad half glad that i'm not looking forward to playing dark elves anymore
    boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

i hadn't seen that, i'm half disappointed nad half glad that i'm not looking forward to playing dark elves anymore
    Yep, I'm not even excited either and they're my favorite race. Most looking forward to wood elf RoRs and slaanesh / tzeentch now
    Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

Yep, I'm not even excited either and they're my favorite race. Most looking forward to wood elf RoRs and slaanesh / tzeentch now
    You gave up before even playing them? Lol

I think they did not want to make them overpowered, they have strong infantry and monsters, I think the have the black dragon as well?
  • EmarthEmarth Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 401
    edited August 2017
    Dark elves is a versitile faction which have great elite infantry, decent core infantry. Good ranged capabilitie, good air capability and great cavalry, also great magic including both LL. Probably good monsters. Elite Hybrid flying mellee/caster LLs.

Norsca is a rush and disabeling faction which has crappy core infantry, decent elite infantry. Crappy cavalry, crappy ranged capabilities and great monsterus infantry, decent air capability and best monsters in game. Decentish magic. Tanky high dmg melee monster LLs.

Bestmen is a pure rush faction with decent core infantry, decent-ish elite infantry, poor ranged capabilities, decent cavalry, great monsterus infantry and decent monsters and crappy air capability. Poor magic capability. Only one good tanky summoner LL. The others are crap.

Not enough info to compare berserk to deadly prowess yet, but all dark elves get the buff while only the norscan infantry get theirs.
    lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

I think they did not want to make them overpowered, they have strong infantry and monsters, I think the have the black dragon as well?
    I gave up with the design direction, yes. We have no idea how good or bad they will be. But that doesn't mean I had to like the design even if they're good
    Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

I gave up with the design direction, yes. We have no idea how good or bad they will be. But that doesn't mean I had to like the design even if they're good
    What is so bad in their design??? The missing units will be added with a dlc you are being over dramatic
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynRegistered Users Posts: 11,132
    edited August 2017
    Dark Elves have armour and big shields. And missiles. And are Elves so hopefully amazing.

On the campaign too, I would hope that raiding is massively lucrative for the Dark Elves, but the Beastmen and Norsca rely on it.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
    lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

What is so bad in their design??? The missing units will be added with a dlc you are being over dramatic
    Dark riders are low tier which is laughable in and of itself, and don't have shield variant

Witch elves are cheap which generally means not good, which is also a joke

Tons of hybrid units and most of these aren't good in TWW, free company militia are not exactly impressive

And their murderous prowess buff sounds extremely gimmicky because you can't actually choose when to activate it, which means your opponent can actually dictate partially when it activates

It's not that they will be bad, I just wanted the units to feel like elves. Eternal guard are a bloody fantastic unit, for example. They feel like elite infantry but toned down because they have to be.

Dark riders have blatantly low leadership and are meant for running down routing units, which is a direct quote from the reveal roster.

Overall not interesting, it's like they all depend so much on that buff popping
  • SudoKnightlyNonsenseSudoKnightlyNonsense Registered Users Posts: 1,818
    Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

Dark riders are low tier which is laughable in and of itself, and don't have shield variant

Tons of hybrid units and most of these aren't good in TWW, free company militia are not exactly impressive

And their murderous prowess buff sounds extremely gimmicky because you can't actually choose when to activate it, which means your opponent can actually dictate partially when it activates

It's not that they will be bad, I just wanted the units to feel like elves. Eternal guard are a bloody fantastic unit, for example. They feel like elite infantry but toned down because they have to be.

Dark riders have blatantly low leadership and are meant for running down routing units, which is a direct quote from the reveal roster.

Can't agree more, they're really doing a poor job with the Elves in my book: probably because Lizardmen are their "poster boys." Eternal Guard and the Wood Elves are on the dot, elite units that are expensive and actually work like they're supposed to lore-wise. The High Elves and Dark Elves, meanwhile, are being deliberately gimped by CA for no good reason: especially with the roster padding (shield/no shield nonsense).

We can only hope CA changes their mind and gives the Elves in TW Warhammer 2 proper justice, otherwise people who actually want to play them in multiplayer are out of luck. Dark Elves and High Elves might just become the next Warriors of Chaos at this point.
    The only good thing I can see is that I wouldn't be surprised if they get more flc than other races like the VCs did, because actually vc on release had one of the smallest rosters in the game (which is true for dark elves if you don't count the 6+ variants... There's 6 variant units in the roster exactly if you don't count the cold one dread knights as a variant for regular ones.
  • SudoKnightlyNonsenseSudoKnightlyNonsense Registered Users Posts: 1,818
    Seldkam said:

The only good thing I can see is that I wouldn't be surprised if they get more flc than other races like the VCs did, because actually vc on release had one of the smallest rosters in the game (which is true for dark elves if you don't count the 6+ variants... There's 6 variant units in the roster exactly if you don't count the cold one dread knights as a variant for regular ones.

No idea why CA thought that was a good idea, they might be slipping back to their "old ways."
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynRegistered Users Posts: 11,132
    edited August 2017
    Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/dark-elf-army-roster/

"Dark Riders (Shields) - Melée Cavalry".

I don't think I agree with most of what you said here - I find hybrid infantry to be quite excellent in certain company, and i've every expectation of Witch Elves being a brilliant infantry unit if they can be shielded from missiles.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
    Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

first of all, eternal guards, especially the ones without shield, are not very good at all. they are decent but route easily and pretty weak. they're only good against armoured units

witch elves look to be the dark elves version of the eternal guards, their bread and butter which is fine since they embody everything about the dark elves
    they even have...

Dark Riders (Repeater Crossbow)
  • GeldorGeldor Registered Users Posts: 1,115
    Well, if you think Eternal Guards are not good, the HE spearmen look even worse.

But we don't know enough of both DE and HE to judge how they'll turn out in the end. I thought DE look pretty good on paper, with an interesting mechanic and stuff like their poisons. But then, it might look different to DE fans.

HE I'm really worried about the stats they have shown us so far. They just look okish with silver/gold chevrons and their martial prowess buff. But it might turn out to be totally different in the end.
  • wingren013wingren013 Registered Users Posts: 995
    edited August 2017
    cool_lad said:

At first glance, the Norscans and Dark Elves seem to follow similar battle philosophies; with generally squishy units that hit hard but may have a little trouble surviving. These factions are also backed up with abilities that make them hit harder the longer they stay in melee along with monsters.

The question then is what would be the general differences between these two factions in terms of their playstyle? Also, what differences would they have from the beastmen in battle?

Dark Elves aren't squishy. They have squishy units but most of their stuff has armor. They even have a few heavily armored units.
    edited August 2017

Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/dark-elf-army-roster/

"Dark Riders (Shields) - Melée Cavalry".

I don't think I agree with most of what you said here - I find hybrid infantry to be quite excellent in certain company, and i've every expectation of Witch Elves being a brilliant infantry unit if they can be shielded from missiles.
    I know there's one with shields, but the repeater xbow ones can't have shields, which is why I dislike the current concept of them. That's what made Dark Riders such a good unit and one that a Dark Elf opponent would dread seeing on the TT game. They had a good melee cav unit with repeater xbows AND shields-- as you might imagine really strong.

I guess we can argue back and forth constantly but what it comes down to is are you talking MP or SP? I will totally agree almost anything is good in SP to be honest, but in MP it's very different.

As for Witch Elves not sure what to say about that. They're probably going to end up being around savage orc level or battle pilgrim level, which is... disappointing. Again, just for me. When I say "cheap = not good" I mean that they're usually core fodder units that are your front line, and I don't like the idea of witch elves being that kind of unit. I would rather they were an actually good version of Wardancers for instance lol.
    lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

lucibuis said:

Seldkam said:

boyfights said:

Seldkam said:

first of all, eternal guards, especially the ones without shield, are not very good at all. they are decent but route easily and pretty weak. they're only good against armoured units

witch elves look to be the dark elves version of the eternal guards, their bread and butter which is fine since they embody everything about the dark elves
    Eternal Guards without shields are weak? My !$#%. They're not as good IMO as that extra +7 or whatever it is melee defense for the shield variant but, for me at least, they're a fantastic flank guard, though I agree keeping the shield variant in the front is better. 475 gold to deter any cav from coming in on that flank is pretty good to me-- unless they want to charge into a unit of Eternal Guard which is not cost effective at all.

I already kinda talked about why I don't like the idea of witch elves being "cheap." If they are like ~700 or so I will be happy, but to me, cheap means 400-575 or something like that, and those units in that area tend to be "run of the mill" Savage orcs, battle pilgrims, flagellants, etc.

@Geldor he are my 2nd favorite race and I'm not exactly worried, but I am somewhat annoyed that without that martial prowess buff the spears have less stats than empire swordsmen LuL
  • Blackstar1Blackstar1 Registered Users Posts: 100
    I wouldn't regard the Dark Elves as glass cannons exactly, most of their troops are armoured and some of them, such as the War Hydra and Cold One Dread Knights sound downright tanky. They probably won't be winning any endurance contests with the dedicated heavy guys like the Dwarfs but I doubt they'll fall apart if hit by a stiff breeze like some people think. At their heart the Dark Elves are a versatile force with a focus on hard hitting melee infantry, they have no obvious glaring weaknesses in their roster other than perhaps a lack of artillery variety (though the reaper bolt thrower will essentially function as two units in one). At the end of the day we don't know for sure how they or any other faction will hold up until they're actually released but their versatile nature and the fact that most of their troops do in fact have armour should be more than enough to differentiate them from the Norscans and Beastmen.