Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

@CA, how do you kill mammoths as Beastmen?

2»

Comments

• BlissBliss Posts: 519Registered Users
    edited August 2017

Yes, very cost effective, two gorebulls at 2800g plus two archers for a total of 3750g to take care of one mammoth around 2000g. Great plan! Oh by the way you see that other mammoth over there? Well you got to kill it too with your ammo-less ungor raiders and your badly beaten Gorebulls.

Not only that but if you cant shut down javelins your big units will melt very fast. The point is, it require WAY too much effort to kill a single mammoth unit. Meanwhile it take zero effort to deploy two mammoths, there are almost fire and forget.

Ahem, dude, plz. Don't. First, you speak about this strat without testing it properly (tryharding in this way in real games). It's basically theory, and you gorebulls in your example are badly beaten and you have not enough ammo left on Ungor raiders JUST because you said it.

Then, let's go back to the theory :

Sure, in this example, you spend 3750 gold to take care of it. But once the Mammoth is dead, what is the result ?? You have still your 3750 gold units on the battlefield (or less, because surely you took damages too in the process), while the ennemy lost a 2k unit. So, just think about it 0,25 seconds. Is it cost effective ? Oh **** HELL YEAH ! You haven't enough left to kill a second mammoth ? Then bring 3 gorebulls instead of 2, and more archers.

Anyway, vs Norsca army, Gorebullfs and archers will pretty much ALWAYS be useful (think about unshield berzerkers and lower range javelins).

I'm saying this while I don't **** know what is the result of 2 gorebulls + 2 ungor raiders vs 1 War mammoth. And that's not my point.

My point is : just because you need to spend more gold to counter something the ennemy can bring doesn't mean that it's a disadvantage. Spending money doesn't mean losing money. Once your units have done the job you picked them for, they still can do a lot of work on the battlefield !

• irurobinirurobin Posts: 1,826Registered Users
    @Bliss

Well....you should see how helpless 3 gorebulls are against a group of angry mammoths. =w= They disappeared ....rather quickly.
  • BlissBliss Posts: 519Registered Users
    Gorebull might not be the solution, I don't know what it is. I was just talking about cost efficiency reasonning. If you spend more gold to counter something cheaper, take into account what you can do with what you have left once it's done to say, in the end, if it's "cost effective" or not.
    @TheSaltySeagulls

Because in a battle those mammoths are not going to stand there and take the fire~~~~~ I am telling you to try manual order them. Observe their animation and charge damage. Take a look on how four of these things attack. 4 giants are going to lose very badly against 4 mammoths because of charge and speed and the attck animation. Observe how fast surrounding infantry rout.
  • salsichasalsicha Posts: 3,572Registered Users
    Unit caps are probably coming in the next game. Please stop pretending that Mammoths are the only unit in the game that are problematic when spammed.
    @salsicha

Since when did I pretend that Mammoths are the only unit need cap? If you can't even read at least stop making things up.
  • salsichasalsicha Posts: 3,572Registered Users
    irurobin said:

@salsicha

Since when did I pretend that Mammoths are the only unit need cap? If you can't even read at least stop making things up.

So you agree that Mammoths aren't OP, and there just needs to be caps?
    @salsicha

That is what I have been saying all day long. Congrat of discovering that. LoL From the start I have been saying more than three is problematic. Jesus. Read before making things up.
  • Busa1227Busa1227 Posts: 3,118Registered Users
    Caps would fix all the problems with mammoths but I still think that they do an insane damage. They are counter-able of course but they are able to kill everything extremely fast. It's just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong about this but lowering a bit their splash damage and charge damage impact would be nice.

• FerrousTarkusFerrousTarkus Posts: 525Registered Users
    Bliss said:

Yes, very cost effective, two gorebulls at 2800g plus two archers for a total of 3750g to take care of one mammoth around 2000g. Great plan! Oh by the way you see that other mammoth over there? Well you got to kill it too with your ammo-less ungor raiders and your badly beaten Gorebulls.

Not only that but if you cant shut down javelins your big units will melt very fast. The point is, it require WAY too much effort to kill a single mammoth unit. Meanwhile it take zero effort to deploy two mammoths, there are almost fire and forget.

Yes Im aware of that and I understand the subtility of it. I took My argument is based on the first layer because when you build your army thats what you do. If you expect two armored mammoths well your plan doesnt work.

Ungor do next to nothing to war mammoth because of the armor. Even if they did, any competent player will ignore the gorebull(after a good charge that send him flying 50 meters away) and charge the raiders who will break in seconds only to come back later which any wolves can take care of.

Anyways I tested it all. Its not impossible to beat any factions like its not impossible for 19/20 ranged units army to beat any faction... But its pretty sub-par and very hard to do depending on who you face, plus its certainly not balanced.

That being said, on another subject, the best thing so far to take care of skinwolves are centigors paired with poison warhounds as usual. Just like any other cavs...