Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

It's official Skin Wolves are OP, skin wolf spam destroys all.

thereign83thereign83 Junior MemberPosts: 77Registered Users
edited August 12 in General Discussion
Having conducted several test with norsca specifically the skin wolves, I notice that they destroy everything in their path. Be it cavalry which they were meant to. But also infantry, and heroes, skirmishers, other monsters, you name it. Otherwise the norscan faction is very good and balanced even the mammoths which you can counter. However there is no counter currently in game that counters skin wolves. The problem I think is they suppose to count as a large unit, however anti-large units aren't getting their bonus applied correctly when engaging them which is why they are murdering everything. Thoughts?
Cant stop the Reign :cool:

Comments

• HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Posts: 2,987Registered Users
    Yet they die like snowflakes to Marauder Javelins - go figure

The new forum makes my eyes bleed

• thereign83thereign83 Junior Member Posts: 77Registered Users
    edited August 12
    Yet no other faction has javelins-go figure
    Cant stop the Reign :cool:
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Posts: 3,568Registered Users
    No, the real issues are the absurdly cheap javelins and the hero wolf regular skin wolves get slammed by most cav and the armored ones are better but need support-- this was done without random factors like the ai, go to the balance section and look for yourself, the only person who tested properly got different results.
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • PrayPray Posts: 842Registered Users
  • BhelliomBhelliom Posts: 47Registered Users
    CA said Skin Wolves count as large though? Maybe it´s just not updated in some tooltip or wherever it says. Mine fall instantly to mass javelin fire at least.
  • ZerglesZergles Member Posts: 1,210Registered Users
    First off: Skinwolf is a term I will never get used to saying because it's like it came straight out of some Furkin tumblr blog.

Second: Try Savage Orc Bigunz.
  • Lord of CinderLord of Cinder Posts: 120Registered Users
    So, demigryphs 2.0?
  • Macoa1066Macoa1066 Posts: 320Registered Users
    CA has said that Skin wolves count as large and will activate large bonuses in units like halberdiers. However their movement is on infantry terrain modifiers which means they suffer speed penalties like regular infantry in swamps instead of suffering speed penalties in the forest like regular large units (excluding beastmen and forest spirits of course). This was confusing some people.
    Updated 8/27/2017:
    Warhammer: 1400 hours
    Attila: 955 hours
    Rome II: 765 hours
    Medieval II: 570 hours
    Rome I: 160 hours
    Shogun II: 10 hours
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 1,630Registered Users
    But it's a unit of werewolves!!!

:smile:

There are counters, but you still pay the price of engaging them .
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 667Registered Users
    Watch what happens when literally any ranged unit fires on them, armored and unarmored skin wolves, after a anti large unit of any type takes the charge. Skin wolves may hit damn hard but suffer the same downsides as the rest of the faction. They cant take a hit.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Posts: 652Registered Users
    Yeah I unit tested skinwolves versus various Chaos units for a poster in a different thread.

Forsaken, Chaos Marauders with halberds, horsemasters, all beat Skinwolves, and cost less gold to boot.

I'm not going to unit test Skinwolves for every unit of every race...but I imagine you'd find multiple 800 gold units or less in almost every race that will hand them their ass.

They hardly feel OP.

Now Werekin on the other hand...that might be a different story :-) Tim and Jim reborn!
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Posts: 4,209Registered Users
    Interesting. Have to test it.

I have bigger gripes woth mamoths so far though... Havent found a unit that actually counters them.
    Several ranged units focussing (but mostly missing for some reason...) can kill them but that means that a Norscan Army is unbeatable if it has the funds
  • Thunder_BlueThunder_Blue Junior Member Posts: 124Registered Users
    seienchin said:

I have bigger gripes woth mamoths so far though... Havent found a unit that actually counters them.

Tried Dwarf cannons with the new buff?
  • DevoneauxDevoneaux Posts: 63Registered Users
    The werekin are ridiculous, they're like a hero tier vlad. =/
  • kroghammerkroghammer Junior Member Posts: 204Registered Users
    They are fine... Everything is OP until you apply a counter.
    Team Nippon
  • ElkerethElkereth Posts: 257Registered Users
    Odiferously potent? Obscenely pragmatic? Orally perplexed? Ottoman percussionist? Obstructionist politician? Ornery porcupine?

Surely not overpowered. Not the day after the unit came out. Not when counters have barely been tested. I think it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction.

Occipital prions?

Also, wolf spam sounds like it would taste awful. I'd need to ask Liam Neeson.
  • zzdjdegmzzdjdegm New York, United StatesPosts: 230Registered Users
    To be expected since they are the new faction.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member Posts: 900Registered Users
    edited August 13
    They're basically crypt horrors with 2x more models, armor and anti-large instead of regen and poison.
  • PrayPray Posts: 842Registered Users

see how " good counter " is Legend does :)
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Posts: 1,361Registered Users

They're basically crypt horrors with 2x more models, armor and anti-large instead of regen and poison.

They got regen too.
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 559Registered Users
    seienchin said:

Interesting. Have to test it.

Several ranged units focussing (but mostly missing for some reason...) can kill them but that means that a Norscan Army is unbeatable if it has the funds

Agree, considering that Champion Marauder are very good, if the army is all invested to stop two or three Mammoths (Plus the general), the champions marauder destroy all the army. Even if you have the counters (For example a lot of artillery) you can defend these counters because you can't have troops to cover all, a Mammoth smash completeli the line, there is no anti large unit, at least in the empire that can resist a line of Mammoth and Champion Marauders for more than two seconds.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member Posts: 900Registered Users

They got regen too.
    You are correct. I also overlooked frenzy and 20% physical resistance. So they're just across the board better in everything except AP percentage and HP.