Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Attila cannot be killed until Chapter 4: Retribution

hypertankhypertank MemberPosts: 76Registered Users
This applies to Legendary difficulty, I don't know about other difficulties but I imagine it's the same. I haven't seen this information anywhere online, there seems to be some confusion about when Attila will stay dead, but I can confirm that I killed Attila multiple multiple times, and it never triggered any events until Chapter 4. I actually managed to kill him on the turn that Chapter 4 began, so I can say this with some confidence. I defeated his army once, and an event called "Only a man" came up, and when I followed his routed army up he died for good, which stopped the special Hunnic armies from spawning. Furthermore, I believe that if Attila is not killed in Chapter 4, he is scripted to die of natural causes at the beginning of Chapter 5. Hopefully someone can get some use out of this post, as the way to kill Attila permanently isn't very well documented in game.

Comments

• RewanRewan Senior Member Posts: 582Registered Users
    edited August 16
    You can kill him before chapter 4 afaic.

The trick with Attila is that the "flags" need some weird conditions to be triggered : to be precise he must be defeated in a battle without being wounded (since wounding him apparently removes him from the army he's in... so it doesn't count as a loss since he's not in the army, get my drift) which raises let's call it "flag1" which then allows him to be killed (he's immortal and can only get wounded before that flag is raised)

So yeah, if you want to get rid of Attila, your biggest friend is in fact the autoresolve since it'll in 99% of the cases, allow the flags to be raised in the proper way. (Use spies and ambush stance on 2 stacks to pick him off)
    Which lead to the following problem : you get autoresolve "maluses" when you play in harder difficulties so it makes you want to actually play the battle to minimize casualties.
  • hypertankhypertank Member Posts: 76Registered Users
    Rewan said:

You can kill him before chapter 4 afaic.

The trick with Attila is that the "flags" need some weird conditions to be triggered : to be precise he must be defeated in a battle without being wounded (since wounding him apparently removes him from the army he's in... so it doesn't count as a loss since he's not in the army, get my drift) which raises let's call it "flag1" which then allows him to be killed (he's immortal and can only get wounded before that flag is raised)

So yeah, if you want to get rid of Attila, your biggest friend is in fact the autoresolve since it'll in 99% of the cases, allow the flags to be raised in the proper way. (Use spies and ambush stance on 2 stacks to pick him off)
    Which lead to the following problem : you get autoresolve "maluses" when you play in harder difficulties so it makes you want to actually play the battle to minimize casualties.

This is wrong, in the battle where I triggered the "only a man" event, I definitely killed him, and wiped out his entire bodyguard unit, I have the battle replay to prove it. Likewise I defeated his army many times without killing him before Chapter 4, (and routed his army while killing him, and stack wiped him, etc. etc.) and nothing worked until chapter 4. Upon reaching chapter 4, everything triggers the event without fail, auto resolves, stack wipes, routs, agents, you name it. If the change wasn't triggered by the new chapter I'd be incredibly surprised. If you can show me a lets play or save file on legendary (or any other difficulty honestly) where "only a man" was triggered in part 3, I'd like to see it.
  • JermanicusJermanicus Posts: 11Registered Users
    This is disheartening to me as I'm playing WRE and essentially fell back to Spain and pushed back from there. I've retaken all of WRE orig holdings but Gaul and Britannia. I just met Attila plus two full Hun spawn stacks vs three of my WRE armies. I was wiped off the map. It's frustrating as I've kicked many Hunnic armies back over the Danube only to see fresh stacks show up. I'm only in the year 430 or close to it. When does Chapter 4 start?
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 13,200Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited December 7
    I've down it a couple of times by having him assassinated once, or twice, or three times - I forget, then defeating him in a battle. He has to be killed in the battle. The battle itself can be manual or auto-resolve, I've done both.

From there is is a matter of cleaaning out the remaining Hun hordes, which can sometimes be very "interesting" to accomplish.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • JermanicusJermanicus Posts: 11Registered Users
    I was able to assassinate one of his generals but haven't tried for Attila yet as I assumed they'd have to be stacked before an attempt on him would be successful.

The Huns have literally decided that northern Italia is the best spot for them and they're are currently 6 full stacks rampaging through. I was able to knock out one of the armies but to make matters worse the WRE Rebels have popped back up in northern Italy with 3 half stacked armies. My 3 armies are running for fortifications but I don't think that's going to help.

To make matters even worse, I'm running on scraps for food so while my economy is able to afford armies I don't have enough food, and yes I've flipped farms to goats lvl 3 researching lvl 4. It's gonna be awhile before I get to Attila...