Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

About Taking Kyoto (Part I - Units)

=[Annoying_MadMan]==[Annoying_MadMan]= Junior MemberPosts: 7Registered Users
edited June 2011 in Total War: SHOGUN 2
Sup.

When time comes, and Kyoto must be taken, most people struggle on doing this for the first times they try, as it requires strategy, timing and a good supportive, massive and formed army (in higher difficulties).
Now, I'm making this Support Tuto, so strugglers can study a little more about what they can find while reaching for Shogun. First, I'll be showing each unit and their route to make their way to inside the castle, their pros and cons and other info.
*Take note as I'm saying here what I learned through a huge gameplay. So if anyone want to add or correct something, PM me.*:p

MELEE

Katana/No-Dachi - They will be put on a good challenge before you can get them into the castle, as arrows tends to inflict some losses. Once there, things can get lot easier, but enemy cavalry can still put up a good problem. After that, you can just climb walls to the main keep.

Yari - Same as above, with the difference that the archers will pose a bigger threat (if you're using samurai, they have a skil that enable runing faster, lot helpful). As you advance further inside, katana, naginata or even cavalry (when attacking flank) units can still cause problems. After them, just get to the main keep.

Naginata - As they are slower and heavier, you can forget about climbing walls, but they are more resistent to archers, and once up there, they'll wreck'em. Cavalry and katana units will pose a problem if they outnumber you. After that, I advice using them to support the other units while they climb walls, because of some payback chance.

Cavalry - They can get to the castle by burning the gates, or climb (dismounted = not good idea = SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!). They will suffer some for archers, but once inside, they will only be stopped by the yari units and missle units, and if you opted for climbing, losses will be bigger because of the fact that horse units sucks a little when dismounted. As advice, let the main keep capture to the other melee units, as you may experience some payback by units you didn't kill.

RANGED

Bow - They will be required if you want to enter the castle without too many losses, as while the melee advances,they can return some fire and support. Inside the castle, they will be massacred if let alone, so just use them inside when the time for the main keep comes (returning fire and climbing walls). Also, make sure to avoid shooting your own units.

Matchlock - They will do the support part a little better and can handle themselves against some units, just make sure to not hit any friendly unit. But differently from the bow units, your ammo will be likely almost 0, so you'll opt to just climb the walls in the final hour.

Cavalry - These guys can only pose a good problem to the enemy once inside, because you'll need to be returning fire from outside with good frequency, and they have bad accuracy (what makes them worse than normal bow). Inside they can "Run and Shoot", just make sure to not hit any friendly unit. Again, leave the dirty job of climbing walls to the smaller units and support if needed.

SIEGE AND STEALTH

Fire Bomb - *MAKE SURE YOU USE THEM AWAY OF YOUR TROOPS TO AVOID ANY FRIENDLY FIRE.* As long as they can crush the arrow tower or gates (or both), that's good enough, even if they die. Their job inside is defeat if used in the wrong situation, but you can use any breach to reach the main keep gates and bomb it.

Fire Rocket - These guys can make short work of gates and towers. Also, they can turn wall archers in dust without suffering losses, working better on returning fire (use this strategy before you advance with melee). Once inside, only use them again to make another gate breach. Don't use them as supportive unit while melee advances, because they can end up killing the enemy and yourself.

Mangonels - It's of some use, but its imobile, and it can be just a trash after you reach the main keep.

European Cannons - These ones are better than mangonels, and can be used with/without fire units and to support another units before they infiltrate. It can make quick work of everything, except cavalry. Once again, at the end of battle, it becomes a trash piece. Also, you can use the men on the cannons to fight (even if they are weak, they can cover up your general, invade, or act as kamikaze decoys).

Kisho Ninja - As using these guys will require good mricromanaging skills, and the castle will be full of troops, the stealth style may not prove SO worth of risk. But if you can manage to bring them up without any difficulties, just wreck some havoc with stealth. Often they will have to be in a band of 3 units to make a good damage (in my opinion).

Ok,it's all for now. Later I'll add the one about the clans, their advantages and so on... Stay tuned.

See ya all!

Edit: 320 views, not bad. Just reply more, guys. Suggestions and critics are welcome LOL
"Lord Masamune, we bring great news: Kyoto is ours!"
"Yea!"
"But we ran out of sake for celebrations...."

"SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!"
Post edited by =[Annoying_MadMan]= on

Comments

• Rastafari_KenRastafari_Ken Senior Member Posts: 903Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    Please change and increase the size of your font and replace the dark text colors with something brighter. I am very interested in reading your post but TNR is a horrible font for computer text and reducing the size makes it even more difficult.
  • =[Annoying_MadMan]==[Annoying_MadMan]= Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    well friend,i made use of Comic MS,Book Antiqua and Arial Black fonts. those are good for details. Dark colors will stay ,sorry. Bt as in size, im changin it.

Edit: Done.
    "Yea!"

"SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!"
    edited June 2011
    My old tired eyes thank you.
  • Deafening MilkDeafening Milk Senior Member Posts: 194Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    Hang on I thought fire rocket were mp only?
    edited June 2011
    Hang on I thought fire rocket were mp only?

I used them b4, but dunno how i got'em. By te time i was to take the shogun down,i got a godly economy, so i got upgrading evrything, and then it appeared. LOL
    "Yea!"

"SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!"
  • AshLikeSnowAshLikeSnow Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    OR you could auto-resolve for a decisive victory.
  • SecuterSecuter Senior Member Denmark, Aarhus.Posts: 2,325Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    You don't even have to attack... I just wait them out. They usually attack when you siege them. Then just sabotage there support army with a Ninja. There you go - Kyoto on a silver plate
  • AshLikeSnowAshLikeSnow Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    Pro-Tip Easy way to take Kyoto:

If the enemy has 1 army inside kyoto and a support army. You can take kyoto with 2 stacks easily. First, you sent your larger stack to siege Kyoto, but also close to the support stack. Hit "continue siege."

Send the second stack and attack the support army. The support army is now being attacked by two armies while the garrison can't help (Garrison can't take part as reinforcements when seiged).

The support army will most likely retreat away. Than attack the main castle (2 stacks against one) Auto-resolve.
    Decisive Victory. Support stack disappears along with fraction.

[The support stack retreats into a different provinces. Only the stacks within the same province stay alive as rebels after fraction is destroyed.]

Easy win.
    edited June 2011
    here I just said somethings that might be useful for ppl who like to be n the real fight. auto-resolve is only gud when ure in first times or just lazy. I myself, after ending my first campaign (hattori), i got back al over again just to battle for real. I mean,u dont hae to always battle, auto-resolve goes right into it. But as for kyoto, is really satisfactory to know that your effort result in your shogunate.

@secuter
    ninjas are gud to make life easy, but usin them in kyoto just take away all the fun. I could, but just killing them by agents wasnt fun.
    "Yea!"

"SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!"
    edited June 2011
    edited June 2011
    Yahee! My tuto got in GttG.... =DDDD
    "Yea!"

"SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!"
    edited June 2011
    Yahee! My tuto got in GttG.... =DDDD

Forever immortalized - AN HONORABLE DISPLAY!!!!
  • SurgeonSurgeon Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    Pro-Tip Easy way to take Kyoto:

If the enemy has 1 army inside kyoto and a support army. You can take kyoto with 2 stacks easily. First, you sent your larger stack to siege Kyoto, but also close to the support stack. Hit "continue siege."

Send the second stack and attack the support army. The support army is now being attacked by two armies while the garrison can't help (Garrison can't take part as reinforcements when seiged).

The support army will most likely retreat away. Than attack the main castle (2 stacks against one) Auto-resolve.
    Decisive Victory. Support stack disappears along with fraction.

[The support stack retreats into a different provinces. Only the stacks within the same province stay alive as rebels after fraction is destroyed.]

Easy win.

Good strat. Esp the lock the main army in by seiging BUT autoresolving koyoto is lame. I normall autoresolve seiges (tip, CA make it worse to autoresolve them) BUT I feel that I should manually do Koyoto for honour!