Adorbs

Capturing the Black Ship

Warrior2011Warrior2011 MemberPosts: 56Registered Users
edited November 2015 in Total War: Shogun 2
How do you capture the black ship?

I tried full battle but when I think I'm winning my ships suddenly flee.

I tried autoresolve but that doesn't cpature the ship?
Post edited by Warrior2011 on

Comments

• Warrior2011Warrior2011 Member Posts: 56Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    I did it. I captured the Black Ship.
  • Rastafari_KenRastafari_Ken Senior Member Posts: 903Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    Have two full fleets of bow ships waiting at the tip of the western peninsula of Iyo province. When the Black Ship appears send your two fleets to intercept, either north or south. Attack with a single stack and auto resolve - you will lose.

Quick save, choose 5 of the other stack, attack and auto-resolve.

You either lose, win and capture the Black Ship, or win and sink the Black Ship. If you lose, quick load, send six and try again. If you win and sink, quick load and send four and try again.

Rinse and repeat.

After playing Napoleon the naval battles in this game are terribly disappointing, not because they are poorly done, but because the nature of naval warfare is not to my liking. The only time I don't auto-resolve is when I am commanding the Black Ship or when the arbitrary nature of auto-resolve forces me to preserve those ships that are precious to me.
  • Rastafari_KenRastafari_Ken Senior Member Posts: 903Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    I did it. I captured the Black Ship.

Congrats. Time to pwn.
  • Crazy SteveCrazy Steve Senior Member Posts: 1,393Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    If you want to capture it when it's on low strength, you should just quick the save the battle and keep auto-resolving. You'll get it eventually and it's quicker than fighting the battle yourself, since then the Black Ship often flees.
    [PORTABLE-ID]crazysteve[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • dtaodtao Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    I would go auto solve.You need 2 stacks of ships. 1st stack range attack strong ships to soft it up to at least 50% canon and marine. 2nd stack then move in, using boarding/marine strong ships. this is to avoid sinking it. 50%chance to capture it. If fail, reload, so save before hand is a must.
  • Warrior2011Warrior2011 Member Posts: 56Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    I had 7 heavy bunes and 1 cannon bune.

I got my general bune to attempt to board the the ship while the rest of my ship attacked the rear of the ship out sight of the black ship cannons.

The boarding bune failed and surrendered to the enemy however for some reason the black ship could not pull away from the surrendered bune. Maybe its a bug.
  • andferpaandferpa Senior Member Posts: 2,520Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    I had 7 heavy bunes and 1 cannon bune.

I got my general bune to attempt to board the the ship while the rest of my ship attacked the rear of the ship out sight of the black ship cannons.

The boarding bune failed and surrendered to the enemy however for some reason the black ship could not pull away from the surrendered bune. Maybe its a bug.

That bug might be exploitable, if you could get a meatshield heavy bune to absorb the fire, plus another ship behind to board it, you could let you r boarding ship get them stuck and get free potshots, even without a cannon bune. Maybe using an ataka bune or the nihon maru.
    Andokides
    All war is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu
    A leader is a dealer in hope.
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.
    Alexander the Great
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.
    William Shakespeare.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 12,230Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    One time, when I captured it with nothing but sengoku/ medium bune and bow kobaya (no fire arrows researched at the time), the dead or surrendered husks prevented the Black Ship from shooting at the remnants of my fleet. I kept forcing boarding actions to prevent it from firing, while my bunes kept using warcry. apparently the crew are terrible at melee, and my sengoku bune could carve out 150 men before routing. soon enough it surrendered.

The Black Ship doesn't surrender when it catches fire; after the battle it just runs away. I wasn't counting on battlefield honour amongst my seaborne samurai when they picked up the crew and put them back so they can blast my fleet to bits again the next time.
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    in your post. Ork grenadier: Which partz ya throws again??[/SIZE][code] in your post.
    Ork grenadier: Which partz ya throws again??
  • wealthyempirewealthyempire Senior Member USAPosts: 1,047Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    It seems that I usually see the black ship about 10 years into it. Usually off the coast of Kyushu. Has anyone confirmed when it appears or is it random? I have 2 nanban trade ships waiting for it off the coast of Nagato. I'll use the tactic I've done before which is to board it with one and fire cannons at it with the other.
    Guides and other informative threads
    S2, RotS, FotS Economic Quick Reference Guides
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=462317
    Check out post #2 (S2) and post #9 (RotS) for other informative threads
    The Sekigahara Campaign 2012 TWC Modding Awards Winner (Team Member)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1841
  • KensaiKensai Senior Member Posts: 966Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    wealthyempire, if you already have NTS just sink the BB and unlock the achievement.
    In ancient Japan, a Kensai (剣聖, sword's saint) was an honorary title given to a warrior of legendary skill in swordsmanship. The literal translation of "Kensai" is "sword saint". Thus, the term is considered by some to imply a higher degree of perfection (possibly also encompassing a moral dimension) than the more commonly used kengō (剣豪) or "great sword".
  • wealthyempirewealthyempire Senior Member USAPosts: 1,047Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    yeah I might sink it. But in this campaign I'm going to convert back as part of a long term plan. I'm only going to have a limited number of nanban trade ships when I convert back. So I'm debating whether to sink or keep the black ship.
    Guides and other informative threads
    S2, RotS, FotS Economic Quick Reference Guides
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=462317
    Check out post #2 (S2) and post #9 (RotS) for other informative threads
    The Sekigahara Campaign 2012 TWC Modding Awards Winner (Team Member)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1841
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 12,230Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    The Black Ship event is random, and itself rather rare. You will likely never find more than half a dozen through an entire campaign. They spawn either north or south of Kyushu, at varying areas offshore. They then sail along the coast where it disappears once it reaches the trade node at the far top right of the map. Its very possible to win a duel with just one Nanban Trade Ship; set it to broadside the Black Ship at deployment, an watch it sail straight to your face before turning to fire. So long as the cannons find their mark, it'll have suffered much damage by the time ranges your ship.
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    in your post. Ork grenadier: Which partz ya throws again??[/SIZE][code] in your post.
    Ork grenadier: Which partz ya throws again??
    edited June 2011
    The BB is really worth it if you have a sound plan of using it. Otherwise, you'll be a lot better with 3-4 NTS embedded in your fleets. Of course I love the BB and even changed my priorities to get one. Embedding an Admiral on it makes it really unstoppable.

(managed to get my BB as a 9-chevron unit with a 6-star Admiral on it... death and destruction to the enemy!)

Question: since I got mine from the Hattori, does anyone know what's the koku you get from the treasures it carries if you get it directly from the Portuguese?
    In ancient Japan, a Kensai (剣聖, sword's saint) was an honorary title given to a warrior of legendary skill in swordsmanship. The literal translation of "Kensai" is "sword saint". Thus, the term is considered by some to imply a higher degree of perfection (possibly also encompassing a moral dimension) than the more commonly used kengō (剣豪) or "great sword".
  • lonewolf80lonewolf80 Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited June 2011
    I managed to capture it solely with heavy and medium bunes. What I had to do, however, was initiate a night battle. Then, I'll send all my ships to line up next to the black ship, and attempt to board them one by one/re-align while using the skill the lowers their morale.
    edited June 2011
    I'll send all my ships to line up next to the black ship, and attempt to board them one by one/re-align while using the skill the lowers their morale.

You mean Warcry, I presume. Yes, a warcry ups the melee fighting capabilities of the armed group you send while lowering the morale of the boarded ship's crew. I guess, being some 10K miles away from Lisbon and hearing screams of some short men with huge knives trying to come on your ship is pretty scary... :p
  • WarprinceWarprince Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    why does the ship keep fleeing?
  • NoodleMeisterNoodleMeister Senior Member Posts: 242Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Warprince wrote: »
    why does the ship keep fleeing?
    You'll have to board and capture it on the first encounter/battle, if you just set it on fire or make it surrender some other way it will flee. At least I think you have to board it...
    "The will to conquer all else outside your own self. That is, ambition in its purest form."
    Fast like the wind,
    Silent like a forest,
    Intrusive like the fire,
    Immobile like a mountain,
    Under heaven and earth, I alone am feared.
    -Takeda Shingen
    My Movie and Music review blog
  • malkuth74malkuth74 Senior Member Posts: 164Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I tried once. LOL ONce.

Seen people do it easy though on youtube.
  • chubbyninja89chubbyninja89 Banned Posts: 1,053Banned Users
    edited July 2013
    For me it was quite easy to take it. It was by a great stroke of luck that i found it. The black ship was under the control of a minor clan to the south. I had been shogun for a while and I still had that big castle ship, a few bow kobayas, and a few sengoku bunes. But the best part was that the black ship only had 14 guys and 1 available gun. I couldn't believe my luck, and the other ships were just a couple of trade ships, 1 or 2 bow kobayas, and a sengoku bune.
  • FlyingPigFlyingPig Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited July 2013
  • LSDLSD Senior Member Posts: 860Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    Cannon ship AI is awful. Medium bune tanked each shot and repaired between fire while a pair of fire throwing kobayas rushed it and killed the entire crew.
    Seems the crew AI is just as bad now i have the ship, since it constantly decides to just stop firing completely, while bugs from E/NTW are still present (most notably the crewicide from boarding actions -- lost 200 men trying to capture one trade ship because everyone died jumping over the side for no apparent reason).
    [portable-ID]lsd[/portable-ID]
    Feel free to check out my Steam guide on naval combat in E:TW
  • lordfadilordfadi Senior Member Posts: 1,846Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    As for me I went into battle without knowing that I am going to face the blackship, I finished the battle and that's when I discovered it. I was lucky to capture it I guess.
    "Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood" Helen Keller.
  • Duesal BladesingerDuesal Bladesinger Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited March 2015
    If you're a Christian faction and you have the money and a Nanban Quarter, then recruit a fleet of Nanban Trade Ships. That's around ten of your galleons against one (the Black Ship). Just be sure not to accidentally damage your own ships with friendly fire and you'll most likely win.

If you're not a Christian faction, first of all put multiple units in the way of the Black Ship on the campaign map so that it has to go around you. The Black Ship has a larger than average campaign movement than pretty much any fleet you could have as a non-Christian faction, so you'll have to resort to forcing it to maneuver around you to keep it within your territory so that you can be the faction to capture it.

As for the battle itself, if you want your fleet to survive and you don't want to sink the Black Ship, don't autoresolve. You'll want something heavy (O Ataka Bune) to absorb the cannon fire while the rest of your fleet homes in. Use a Sengoku Bune to board the ship. As the majority of crew members on the Black Ship seem to be musketeers of some sort, this translates to a poor melee. On average, a full-strength Sengoku Bune can kill up to 100 crew members before fleeing. Be sure to have more than one Sengoku Bune on hand so you can board multiple times.

Also, for your fleet, don't bother with Bow Kobaya. Not only are they less effective, but their fire arrows effect will at most cause the Black Ship to flee instead of surrender (and if it doesn't surrender it sinks). Instead invest in Matchlock Kobaya. They'll be able to pick off musketeers and cannon operators once they're in range. Of course, they're easy targets with relatively poor morale, so make sure that you have one of your ships absorbing the cannon fire for them.

Fire Bomb Kobaya are great at lowering morale, but they're also a great way to sink the ship you're trying to capture.

Cannon Bune are incredibly useful in attacking the Black Ship's hull, but they themselves have a weak hull strength. Only bring them into firing range when the Black Ship's cannons are focussed on another ship.

Medium Bune are relatively slow and this susceptible to cannon fire. However, they can be used for absorbing that very cannon fire so that other units have the opportunity to close in. The main problem here, however, is that they don't last very long when taking heavy damage.

Sometimes the Black Ship is too strong and can send your entire veteran fleet packing. This is why you need to be prepared and have multiple fleets on hand to attack consecutively. Do not attack at the same time, as reinforcements take forever in naval battles and are more or less obsolete. Instead, attack with one fleet, do your best to kill off the Black Ship's crew, lose that battle, then rinse and repeat. Once enough of the Black Ship's crew have been killed, they'll surrender.

If you sink the Black Ship, don't be discouraged. There is at any given point in time one Black Ship in the entire game. It doesn't matter which faction has it, but that'll be the only one until it's sunk. When it sinks, the European Traders faction will eventually send another Black Ship which appears the southern coast (this is where most of those trade islands are) to circumnavigate Japan. I've tested this theory by capturing and sinking the Black Ship a total of 6 times. They will ALWAYS eventually send another Black Ship.
    edited June 2015
    Fun fact: during the years of trading between the Nanban, there was a trading ship known then as "The Black Ship" which carted silk from China to Japan and the resulting profits back to Europe every year. At the time, it was the most powerful seaworthy vessel in the world.
  • shrspeedbladeshrspeedblade Senior Member Posts: 313Registered Users
    edited June 2015
    Interesting game note: in a recent campaign a pirate fleet, YES PIRATES, had captured the black ship. I had never seen that before. Fortunately for me it was beat up and easy to recapture.
    <---- That's how I look after all the NTW I've played!
  • luther84695luther84695 Member Posts: 35Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    I think black ship has been nerfed that it is actually very easy to capture one. I just use a stack of 10 medium bune.

You split into 3 three groups. you have couple ships in the middle as cannon fodder while the other two groups flank the blackship in two different directions. Basically you try to board the ship with your flank group but you don't want your middle group to get too close. their job is to get the cannon fire.

Sometimes I am able to capture the black ship with my 2 or 3 boarding attempt. Actually, the last time I captured the black ship with my second boarding attempt. The first attempt activate war cry and killed off most of the crewed members, but the ship rout because there were too many enemy. The second attempt captures the ship.

One important thing is to avoid setting it on fire. So try not to use fire or bombs. I noticed that whenever I set it on fire, I end up destroying it instead of capturing it.
    edited November 2015
    In my personal opinion, if another faction ended up capturing the black ship before you could get to it and restores it to full strength and puts it in command of a fleet, don't try to capture it from them. It'll take way too many resources.

Go in there, set the Black Ship on fire, stick around long enough to make sure it's going to sink, and then run.