Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dark Elves Battle Let's Play

CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 681
edited September 2017 in General Discussion

Time for the much anticipated follow up to the Dark Elf Campaign Let's Play! Today we're joining Malekith the Witch King as he battles against a High Elf defense force at Cairn Thel in Ulthuan. Malekith needs to disrupt their ritual in order to gain control of the Vortex, and has brought a highly skilled army with Black Ark support to destroy this settlement.

Total War: WARHAMMER II is available for Pre-Order here
Post edited by Grace_CA on

Comments

• HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 3,213
    Yay here it is

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • corvus_codexcorvus_codex Junior Member SpainRegistered Users Posts: 3,072
    edited August 2017
    Amazing map,
    the new generic maps feels really alive. hope they reworked the old world ones, when the combined campaing comes.

Some points:
    - the Witch elves charge to combat like they did in the trailer, good job!.
    - New musics feels really warhammeresque
    - the bombardments are like all we expect, A "Shogun II" 2.0 feature. a little tiny imho, it looks like a spell
    - To rotate wind-spells its a perfect addition.
    Post edited by corvus_codex on
    Team Skavens

"Brother Skavens! Consider this... Until the coming of Vermek Skab, the Council of Thirteen placed me in command of this army"
    - Grey Seer Thanquol, ruthlessly taking command of the Nuln Invasion force
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,772
    The hype intensifies.
  • KandraxKandrax Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 181
  • warhydra1313warhydra1313 Registered Users Posts: 272
    is it me or swordmasters got new animations? no greatsword unit runs like that
    Team Hobgoblins,Team Ogre Kingdoms,Team Chaos Dwarfs,Team Nippon,Team Khuresh,Team Jade-Blood,#AlarielleIsNotMyEverqueen
    Dem bombardments /o\
    Rotateable wind spells!
    So many dead things.
  • Horus168Horus168 Registered Users Posts: 578
    edited August 2017
    The malekith character model looks awesome.

Rotating wind spells seems great.

2 units of dark riders can't even kill two units of archers? And the ellyrian reavers looked kind of useless also...

Seems odd that witch elves look weaker than norscan marauders, and only slightly more killy than bleak swords or corsairs.

Shades look interesting, genuinely hybrid infantry.

I hope the ai only moves away from bombardment spells sometimes, like a human would rather than all the time...

Overall though, dark elves are looking loads of fun; one whole month to wait....

• TheBlaze_64TheBlaze_64 Registered Users Posts: 290
    Love the change to wind spells. Did it look like that vortex wandered less?
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,190
    Wait, there's buildings in non-walled settlements now!?
    Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Anyone using the term 'iconic' incorrectly to pad out their dumb argument will be subject to immediate Bloodthirster summoning.
  • Ice_creamIce_cream Registered Users Posts: 749
    It's me or they change the colors of the Hydra? I think that before his back was totally red, I like more as it is now.
  • MasqueradeMasquerade Registered Users Posts: 292

is it me or swordmasters got new animations? no greatsword unit runs like that

They swing different, battle pose and run different = communitt outrage was for nothing.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 10,829
    Cool, cool. Any high elf videos soon?
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,190

This was a High Elf video. You could say they had a very meaty part.
    Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Anyone using the term 'iconic' incorrectly to pad out their dumb argument will be subject to immediate Bloodthirster summoning.
  • Defiler_of_the_NorthDefiler_of_the_North Under a bar stool in a random tavern located within AltdolfRegistered Users Posts: 415
    Ah I love the smell of dead elves in the morning, high or dark it doesn't matter.

Hurray on rotatable wind spells, trying to line up your wizard during battle was a pain at times.
    Doesn't matter what you say, Balthasar Gelt is the best legendary lord and the lore of metal needs nerfing.

Currently suffering from a serve case of Bretonnia fever, the only cure is slaying Orks with the righteous fury of the Lady.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,450
    Yea looks ok... Almost all the units were constantly losing their fights but ok I guess >.<

Actually literally it looks amazing but the unit performances... Idk, looks like all of them struggled quite a bit.
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • GeldorGeldor Registered Users Posts: 1,115
    The city looked great, really gorgeous.

Several different type of bombardments - looks like a fun, neat mechanic.

Sad that we couldn't have a look at unit stats, or even one word what's up with the HE.

Otherwise fun battle to watch.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,450
    edited August 2017
    Geldor said:

Sad that we couldn't have a look at unit stats, or even one word what's up with the HE.

They looked like they held their own quite easily, and this is the AI...

Post edited by BillyRuffian on
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
    Where did I say they looked bad there? Was a fun battle to watch.

Just no news for HE fans that's all.
  • KhorneFlakesKhorneFlakes Registered Users Posts: 3,430
    so does this means in combined map previous races will look better..??

• ProtagonisteProtagoniste Registered Users Posts: 156
    It seems like the armor of basic dark elves infantry (darkshards and bleakswords) has been changed from 40 to 30 since the quests battles that were released last week.

This means that bleakswords now have stats that makes them more or less the same as empire swordmens with murderous prowess. Not sure if armor was the right way to differentiate them from the empire soldiers, but it does feel a bit wrong now to have these units so close to each other in terms of stats.

Did anyone spot other changes?
  • gholingholin Member Registered Users Posts: 1,240
    Between this and the last video, I think I'm raising the banner of the Dark Elves for my first playthrough. They are way cooler looking that I expected. Naggaroth looks amazing, their units are wicked and haughty as I expected elves to look, and the campaign looks really fun with those black arks and slave mechanics.

September 28th can't come soon enough.

Also, my hopes are on the megacampaign to have the old world races have settlement maps like these. I hope the mega campaign gives love to the old races since they are increasingly looking dull to these new ones.
  • Nyanko73Nyanko73 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,351
    I just love the Reaper bolt thrower projectiles. They look great and deadly. We didn't get to see the assassin in action during the battle sadly. The bombardement, magic missiles it seems, look nice but the area of affect look a bit small I find.

Can't wait to play my DE! 1 month to go!

Team Yennefer

"A blinding flash materialised into a transparent sphere, and inside it loomed a shape, assuming contours and shapes at frightening speed. Dandelion recognised it at once. He knew those wild, black curls and the obsidian star on a velvet ribbon. What he didn’t know and had never seen before was the face. It was a face of rage and fury, the face of the goddess of vengeance, destruction and death." - Time of contempt
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 10,829

Nah it wasnt.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    Lasted 4 minutes and 55 seconds and victory comes after almost every unit is spent.

So CA are not taking the issue with battle design seriously; that they are tactically shallow and this causes them to last almost no time. It's almost impossible to achieve a heroic victory now because force-conservation is unviable, just flank, charge-cycle, nuke-cycle, repeat.
  • KhorneFlakesKhorneFlakes Registered Users Posts: 3,430
    wind spells can be rotated hmm gonna have too much fun with winds of death now

• Horus168Horus168 Registered Users Posts: 578
    edited August 2017
    Seldkam said:

Geldor said:

They looked like they held their own quite easily, and this is the AI...

God the HE fanboys are at it again, flagging and stuff.
    I have no idea why you or tennisgolfball were flagged above.

It seems like the armor of basic dark elves infantry (darkshards and bleakswords) has been changed from 40 to 30 since the quests battles that were released last week.

This means that bleakswords now have stats that makes them more or less the same as empire swordmens with murderous prowess. Not sure if armor was the right way to differentiate them from the empire soldiers, but it does feel a bit wrong now to have these units so close to each other in terms of stats.

Did anyone spot other changes?

Witch Elves might also got a bit lower armour than before (reduction of 5 or something). Someone pointed that out yesterday when we had a glimpse at their unit cards.
  • gholingholin Member Registered Users Posts: 1,240
    edited August 2017

Nah it wasnt.
    I find it odd people are even saying stuff like this is a high elf video, since really, we've never had a campaign video of high elves. We've seen their units in battle videos, but that's about it. CA has focused on Lizardmen, Skaven, and Dark Elves entirely. High Elves just feature in some of the battles, which happens, since like, they are 1/4th of the races in the game.

If anything, High Elves are the race we know least about now. We also don't know a lot about lizardmen campaigns, do we?