Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dark Elves Battle Let's Play

Comments

• Lord_XelosLord_Xelos Registered Users Posts: 1,806
    1. VIDEO: Was he that bad at playing battles or were those armies that perfectly balanced? I mean, he won, but lost 90% of his man in the process...

2. Is it me or every time he casted a spell or ability he said "oh yeah, that wiped entire squad" when in fact it actually killed 3-4 models and others were just knocked back and standing seconds later? It was especially visible on hydra which missed 90% of her breath-attack projectiles, hitting ground instead. The only thing that did some actual damage was bombardment, but then again - he used all 3 in the same spot, so I would be surprised if it didn't do some serious harm. Sooo... Is magic and abilities really buffed or it's just a smokescreen to make us believe so?

3. I must say most unit animations are pretty decent including witches (unlike their *cough* abs texture *cough*).

But in general - nice gameplay indeed, nice to be able to see how DE really play. Waiting for HE and Lizardmen gameplays - hopefully right after weekend.
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Registered Users Posts: 1,746
    Skaven are still the bestttt yes yes
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

• Harddrive44Harddrive44 Registered Users Posts: 615
    Well, the high elves got slaughtered again in the latest video. It actually looked like they had a larger army than the DE, but the DE wiped them out easily. His army wasn't even that bad off when he won. It was just sad how easy it was. The Moon Dragon lasted about 10 second in battle before the narrator said he was almost finished then they easily killed it with the hydra. Just sad.

That city defense should have easily been won by the high elves if they were up to par.
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Registered Users Posts: 1,746

Lasted 4 minutes and 55 seconds and victory comes after almost every unit is spent.

So CA are not taking the issue with battle design seriously; that they are tactically shallow and this causes them to last almost no time. It's almost impossible to achieve a heroic victory now because force-conservation is unviable, just flank, charge-cycle, nuke-cycle, repeat.

You've been encouraged in every total war game to do this. No news
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

• CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,183
    CA_Whelan said:

Time for the much anticipated follow up to the Dark Elf Campaign Let's Play! Today we're joining Malekith the Witch King as he battles against a High Elf defense force at Cairn Thel in Ulthuan. Malekith needs to disrupt their ritual in order to gain control of the Vortex, and has brought a highly skilled army with Black Ark support to destroy this settlement.

Total War: WARHAMMER II is available for Pre-Order here
    Minor settlement battles!!!! That is what I was asking for thank you!
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,755

It seems like the armor of basic dark elves infantry (darkshards and bleakswords) has been changed from 40 to 30 since the quests battles that were released last week.

This means that bleakswords now have stats that makes them more or less the same as empire swordmens with murderous prowess. Not sure if armor was the right way to differentiate them from the empire soldiers, but it does feel a bit wrong now to have these units so close to each other in terms of stats.

Did anyone spot other changes?

I would try not to be hasty:
    the differences could be base on technologies/skills not just balance changes.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • Horus168Horus168 Registered Users Posts: 578

It seems like the armor of basic dark elves infantry (darkshards and bleakswords) has been changed from 40 to 30 since the quests battles that were released last week.

This means that bleakswords now have stats that makes them more or less the same as empire swordmens with murderous prowess. Not sure if armor was the right way to differentiate them from the empire soldiers, but it does feel a bit wrong now to have these units so close to each other in terms of stats.

Did anyone spot other changes?

In TT dark elves had a higher WS, which translate to MA and MD in total war, but they'd be more expensive fir a similar model count, or have a lower model count for the same cost.

Depending on the TT version special rules such as hatred or always strike first would also maybe translate to MA or MD respectively.

Given CA have said they want to make TWWH authentic to the TT, it seems odd to make them equivalent to lowly empire state troops.

Ca_ duck said the old races were being rebalanced for TWWH2, so maybe the state troops will be nerfed.
    I guess we'll know in a month!
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 1,433
    Come sooner, 28th September.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,450
    Geldor said:

Where did I say they looked bad there? Was a fun battle to watch.

Just no news for HE fans that's all.

The "what's up with HE" part got me thinking. Don't get your hopes up for a dark elf let's play though lol.

It looks like MP is working really well when witch elves lose to spearmen. Maybe it's cause they were outnumbered, I think that's what happened.

But to be honest 1 on 1, 46 melee attack plus bonus vs infantry vs 50+ melee defense isn't gonna go well for witch elves since they've got lower numbers.

I'm probably overreacting but it's scary to see that none of the dark elf units were winning any engagements in melee except for the Hydra lol
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 3,213
    edited August 2017
    Izariel said:

Well, the high elves got slaughtered again in the latest video. It actually looked like they had a larger army than the DE, but the DE wiped them out easily. His army wasn't even that bad off when he won. It was just sad how easy it was. The Moon Dragon lasted about 10 second in battle before the narrator said he was almost finished then they easily killed it with the hydra. Just sad.

That city defense should have easily been won by the high elves if they were up to par.

You make conclusions based on ai battle really HE will get their time in the spotlight soon.Stop trying to find excuses to make it out like the HE are weak

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • ProtagonisteProtagoniste Registered Users Posts: 156
    SiWI said:

Sure, maybe... but since these quest battles were played directly from a menu and not from the context of a campaign, I'd say that it's unlikely that skills/technologies were boosting that armor up.
  • Harddrive44Harddrive44 Registered Users Posts: 615
    Were you even watching the same battle?

SiWI said:

Sure, maybe... but since these quest battles were played directly from a menu and not from the context of a campaign, I'd say that it's unlikely that skills/technologies were boosting that armor up.
    fair point, thou we don't know how Malekith was skilled in that battle or if it assumed technologies, since you wouldn't do that battle on turn 1 in a real campaign.
  • Horus168Horus168 Registered Users Posts: 578

1. VIDEO: Was he that bad at playing battles or were those armies that perfectly balanced? I mean, he won, but lost 90% of his man in the process...

2. Is it me or every time he casted a spell or ability he said "oh yeah, that wiped entire squad" when in fact it actually killed 3-4 models and others were just knocked back and standing seconds later? It was especially visible on hydra which missed 90% of her breath-attack projectiles, hitting ground instead. The only thing that did some actual damage was bombardment, but then again - he used all 3 in the same spot, so I would be surprised if it didn't do some serious harm. Sooo... Is magic and abilities really buffed or it's just a smokescreen to make us believe so?

3. I must say most unit animations are pretty decent including witches (unlike their *cough* abs texture *cough*).

But in general - nice gameplay indeed, nice to be able to see how DE really play. Waiting for HE and Lizardmen gameplays - hopefully right after weekend.

He seemed to play well to me, but it seemed the HE army had a lot or archers, and he didn't have enough cav to counter them effectively.
    He didn't play well but Darren purposefully has a chill outlook on playing against the ai since as he says it's not worth the effort xD

Which may very well have made the DE look worse than they really are, especially since they were outnumbered by the Garrison too
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • GeldorGeldor Registered Users Posts: 1,115
    Seldkam said:

Geldor said:

Where did I say they looked bad there? Was a fun battle to watch.

Just no news for HE fans that's all.

The "what's up with HE" part got me thinking. Don't get your hopes up for a dark elf let's play though lol.

It looks like MP is working really well when witch elves lose to spearmen. Maybe it's cause they were outnumbered, I think that's what happened.

But to be honest 1 on 1, 46 melee attack plus bonus vs infantry vs 50+ melee defense isn't gonna go well for witch elves since they've got lower numbers.

I'm probably overreacting but it's scary to see that none of the dark elf units were winning any engagements in melee except for the Hydra lol
    I didn't look that deep into it so far. HE had superior numbers, but are played by the AI. DE had bombardments, human player, and a higher lord. Hard to tell. Maybe he deliberately tried to not wipe the floor with our poor HE, so that guys like me can get some sleep? : )

I really liked the battle, just visually looked great.

I was just hoping they might also show unit stats for the HE, or say something in the end on the lines of "on Monday we'll have some HE campaign coverage". That's all.

And I'm not flagging anyone - not sure why that is happening.
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,190
    CnConrad said:

CA_Whelan said:

Time for the much anticipated follow up to the Dark Elf Campaign Let's Play! Today we're joining Malekith the Witch King as he battles against a High Elf defense force at Cairn Thel in Ulthuan. Malekith needs to disrupt their ritual in order to gain control of the Vortex, and has brought a highly skilled army with Black Ark support to destroy this settlement.

Total War: WARHAMMER II is available for Pre-Order here
    Minor settlement battles!!!! That is what I was asking for thank you!
    Really glad about this; even if it's just a few buildings you can fight amongst (wasn't seen but it looked like you could).

Also lol at the idiots reporting your post.
    Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Anyone using the term 'iconic' incorrectly to pad out their dumb argument will be subject to immediate Bloodthirster summoning.
  • ProtagonisteProtagoniste Registered Users Posts: 156
    It just occurred to me that it won't be possible anymore to predict a winds of death spell from seeing the enemy caster lining up with the infantry frontline. This change will make dodging these spells quite a bit harder. I like it, but it remains to be seen if a rebalance to WoD is needed and/or already in the game when it ships.
    some people are somewhat "flag" happy... don't really get those flags to be honest.

As for Darren quality play, I think full army+ garrisons of a strong town (it was in the top 3) would always be hard to beat.

Thou he was a bit passive with some of his units and that lead to more loses.
  • rhinoinsomniacrhinoinsomniac Member Registered Users Posts: 951
    some person with a Kroq-gar avatar is just flagging people for spam left and right. your trolling is atrocious whoever you are. you're also directly violating forum rules but i assume you know that and don't care.

very good video.

i noticed that advanced battle info was off - so no stat cards visible for high elf units. lol - that seems to be pretty directly a slap-in-the-face to helf fans after that ginormous thread about helves. or just still working on balancing and don't wanna put even more stuff out there that is subject to change for people to speculate about

those reaper bolt thrower volleys were amazing. i was watching them and couldn't help saying some choice words about their effectiveness

the breath weapons from the hydra and dragon looked suitably impressive - both visually and the damage they inflict

also impressed that y'all are clearly trying to show us you're still working on magic. rotatable wind spells? hell yes. and it may just be my mind - but that vortex spell looked different in behavior from others. y'all might have altered speed, turn frequency, maximum angle that the vortex can rotate when turning, other vortexy stuff ...

honey will catch more flies than vinegar

Team Lizardmen

edited August 2017
    Izariel said:

Delusional much?

- Actual armies were identical - both 20 units each. HE were supported by garrison of 6-7 units (visible delay in units coming out from visian range cap), yes but they were all lowest tier meatshields. DE meatshields will be just as weak and ignorable.
    - DE army ended up with 3-4 models in every 120-160 model unit AKA they got decimated. In fact they lost more than HE, because HE mostly routed and didn't die.
    - Moon Dragon (in fact it's star dragon, as moon dragons are blue) did more damage in his one breath attack than hydra did in all her breath attacks counted total.

Keep living on Your own fantasy world bro, tell me how it works for You.
  • Reaper49Reaper49 Registered Users Posts: 754
    edited August 2017
    Isnt malekith armor on foot (90) a bit low? While yesterday on campaing map was higher all of his stats.
    Horus168 said:

He seemed to play well to me, but it seemed the HE army had a lot or archers, and he didn't have enough cav to counter them effectively.

Might be the case. He had only 2 units of cav, that was quickly decimated anyway, while enemy had mostly archers which turned entire DE army into pincushions.

Izariel said:

Delusional much?

- Armies was identical - both 20 units each.
    - DE army ended up with 3-4 models in every 120-160 model unit AKA they got decimated. In fact they lost more than HE, because HE mostly routed and didn't die.
    - Moon Dragon (in fact it's star dragon, as moon dragons are blue) did more damage in his one breath attack than hydra did in all her breath attacks counted total.

Pretty sure Darren States the he outnumber the de, which is likely since the battle is from a city Garrison combined with an army vs just Malekiths army. I'm not even sure Malekith had a full 20 stack but I might be wrong.

@Reaper49 he does have physical protection and missile resistance, sounds nice with that silver shield too
    edited August 2017
    Seldkam said:

Pretty sure Darren States the he outnumber the de, which is likely since the battle is from a city Garrison combined with an army vs just Malekiths army. I'm not even sure Malekith had a full 20 stack but I might be wrong.

Pretty sure You responded too fast. I tend to take time to make my post perfect. You quoted something that was changed long before Your post popped up. This is the right version:

- Actual armies were identical - both 20 units each. HE were supported by garrison of 6-7 units (visible delay in units coming out from visian range cap), yes but they were all lowest tier meatshields. DE meatshields will be just as weak and ignorable.

And Malekith had exactly 20 units stack. 18 visible at the beggining and 2 cav units shown later.
  • MasqueradeMasquerade Registered Users Posts: 292

Izariel said:

Delusional much?

I doubt Darren is dumb enough to mess up unit names. Looking at it it could very wel be a moon dragon as they mentioned the star dragon breath attack looking like.some.sort of beam instead of fire.
    Since the dragons just get older its logical they go from red to yellow and ultimately cool down in blue.

The moom is often depicted with a yellow color.
    Official GW paintjob of Sun Dragon:

Official GW paintjob of Star and Moon Dragon:

So the one in the game is either Sun Dragon, or CA completely broke official color schemes.
  • GunKingGunKing Registered Users Posts: 622
    I'm LOVING the new atmospheric effects on display! That was one thing I really missed from Total Wars and I'm so glad to see they've returned. Hope they're integrated into Game 1 maps!

Official GW paintjob of Sun Dragon:

Official GW paintjob of Star and Moon Dragon:

So the one in the game is either Sun Dragon, or CA completely broke official color schemes.

I did confuse Star Dragons with Sun Dragons though. My bad, I meant Sun ones.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,991

He was showcasing the units.

A typical player would have used his level 20 legendary lord more often for more impact as well as slaying the enemy High Elf Princess to reduce enemy leadership for a faster victory.

You can see the units by looking at the end of the previous video. DE had 20 units, HE had 20 units plus 7 unit garrison. High elves appear to have a numerical advantage. Not sure if DE have any advantage other than their level 20 LL vs. a Level 3 High Elf Princess. DE did have two bolt throwers, but High Elves had more archers, and archer range is almost equal to bolt thrower range.