Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The BIG WARHAMMER BATTLES SURVEY

FredrinFredrin Senior MemberLondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
Dear all,

I've put together a quick 22 question survey to ask your opinion on a variety of questions, mostly related to battle design in the current game.

Click here to take the Survey

This is designed to be a light-hearted but constructive exercise to help developers and members of the community better understand what the consensus is on some general topics.

The results will be released within roughly 48 hours - please keep this thread bumped to help people see it and share it to friends and forum pages where you think it may be seen. The more responses, the better the data!

Please DO NOT use the survey to bash the good people of CA who brought us this game or each other... most of the questions are asking players about their own preference - one person's preference is no better or worse than anyone else's.

Please DO discuss why you gave the answers that you did, what you would like to be kept or done differently and flesh out any ideas for features as constructively as possible.

NB - you only get one shot to fill it out, so make sure you do it properly first time around :grimace:

Enjoy the survey! :smile:

Comments

• FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    Is anyone a regular on the reddit forums who would like to help get it seen by those guys?
  • corvocorvo Junior Member SpainPosts: 2,921Registered Users
    I actually enjoyed the survey, now i'm waiting the results.
    Team Skavens

"Brother Skavens! Consider this... Until the coming of Vermek Skab, the Council of Thirteen placed me in command of this army"
    - Grey Seer Thanquol, ruthlessly taking command of the Nuln Invasion force
  • ImmortalWKMImmortalWKM Member Posts: 93Registered Users
    Wouldn't 100% slower battles mean a complete standstill?
  • AxikusAxikus Junior Member Posts: 775Registered Users
    It starts as a general TW survey and then suddenly asks you battle speed related questions (which game should I keep in mind when I answer it?). Finally, it asks you how many hours you have in "the game". Again, I'm not sure which game that is. I was probably thinking Napoleon the whole time. /shrug

But I think I passed.
  • TalmoreanTalmorean Posts: 1,425Registered Users

Wouldn't 100% slower battles mean a complete standstill?

Net of Amyntok for everyone!
    Axikus said:

It starts as a general TW survey and then suddenly asks you battle speed related questions (which game should I keep in mind when I answer it?). Finally, it asks you how many hours you have in "the game". Again, I'm not sure which game that is. I was probably thinking Napoleon the whole time. /shrug

But I think I passed.

The fact it's called the Warhammer Battles Survey is a bit of a clue...
  • AxikusAxikus Junior Member Posts: 775Registered Users
    Fredrin said:

Axikus said:

But I think I passed.

The fact it's called the Warhammer Battles Survey is a bit of a clue...
    Oh. I must have missed it.
  • ImmortalWKMImmortalWKM Member Posts: 93Registered Users
    I think the questions are a bit imprecise. It would be more clear to ask about battle duration instead of battle pace/speed. Also I would like to know what you mean by "more tactical options" and "more depth-giving features". A few examples might help...
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Posts: 2,995Registered Users
    Fredrin said:

Is anyone a regular on the reddit forums who would like to help get it seen by those guys?

@Fredrin
    I am not a regular by any means but I can post it here
    may I use you OP text BTW?

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
    blaat said:

Fredrin said:

@Fredrin
    Yes, please do. Cheers @blaat
    Fredrin said:

blaat said:

Fredrin said:

@Fredrin
    Yes, please do. Cheers @blaat
    done
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6wsizh/the_great_batle_survey/

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

• ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,337Registered Users
    I took the survey largely because the OP began with "Dear all", and I feel such good manners should be encouraged.

There was one question though that puzzled me a bit, as the option to say "fine with it as is" didn't seem to be there, so I had to put a 5 instead. As you can't re-take the survey and I've a memory like a sieve sometimes, I can't say which question.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • rhinoinsomniacrhinoinsomniac Member Posts: 950Registered Users

I think the questions are a bit imprecise. It would be more clear to ask about battle duration instead of battle pace/speed. Also I would like to know what you mean by "more tactical options" and "more depth-giving features". A few examples might help...

agreed.

i'm not sure if you want specific discussion here or not so i'll spoiler this

i hope for magic missile targeting mechanics to change - the spell should target the middle of a unit - not the extreme flank. i would like the amount of ranks most magic missiles can go through to be reduced so that the missile explodes more often in a unit rather than penetrating thro and exploding on some terrain feature with no enemies.

would like changes to how magic targeting works - possibly more skill-shots (not high priority for me).

direct damage spells should maybe be channeled spells instead of point and click - maybe not channeled for the duration of the spell - just something that wouldn't allow the caster to move for a while making it possible to interrupt and stop the spell.

when a flying unit lands there should be a cooldown to when they can take off again - especially if they entered melee combat which is redundant to say i guess cuz that's pretty much the only way they do land.

why can't we make loose formations anymore? that's one thing that made no sense to get rid of from TW - even tho it's not a TT feature - so what? TT just didn't have rules like that for reducing casualties from ranged fire

characters should be able to attach to units they share the same size class with. horse sized cav char with horse sized cav, monstrous with monstrous, man-sized char with man-sized, etc.

i know this one sounds stupid easy mode - but when a unit rallies - it should about face automatically (very minor)

not implementing a dispel mechanic but implementing spell casting was a mistake imo. a big one. it gives players no option in multiplayer other than predicting and dodging spells to stop them. which i think is part of the reason the magic system is wonky. i guess the AI wouldn't be able to hurt a player as much with spells but the AI doesn't use them well now anyways. and if they implemented dispel properly - the AI would make use of it as well.

vanguard. this is a SP complaint. i know it prolly has a lot to do with complicated stuff and decision making choices for the AI which i reckon aren't easy to design - but i've never once seen the AI use vanguard. that's horrible.

i like that siege battles have been made more difficult because there is less the AI has to defend so that makes it easier for the AI to fight effectively - but multiple layers of walls instead of just one would be nice. when the player's forces have breached and maybe like 50% of their army is inside the first layer - then the AI would pull back units it could (not heavily engaged) and defend the next most inner layer

that's all i can think of for now

honey will catch more flies than vinegar

Team Lizardmen

you left out warhammer in the TW games you played question
    I got one complaint about that on reddit

snip

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,629Registered Users
    edited August 2017
    Sorry, but gotta' nitpick:

1.Define "epic" and "arcadey" in the context of that survey. I bet not everyone partaking in the poll has the same idea of what those words mean. Are epic battles dependent on participants? 2000 peasent mob vs 2000 peasent mob is a lot of people but also just peasents beating each other up and probably not everyone's idea of "epic"

2.Please avoid priming the participants towards answers you prefer. "Are battles too arcadey" is a leading question. How about "What do you think about the complexity of TWWH battles?" "Could be more complex/Just Right/Too Complex". Of course, best with an example of "complexity"

3.What's the difference between wanting units sizes and map sizes "6" larger and "7" larger?

edited August 2017

Fair points. I thought about putting an exact battle duration as the various options there. But the length of time in battle seems so variable depending on which units you have facing off against each other, a percentage seemed the safest way to go. It seems to be the measure used by CA_Ato as well, so I guess it has some validity.

And I agree about the vagueness - it's very much a general opinion survey. The danger of citing one specific feature is that you're then excluding the thousands of others that have been proposed, so it's given an automatic preference. If there's interest, I could follow up with a survey in which specific features could be ranked in terms of what priority they would like to see features implemented, but this one I was aiming to keep more quick and to the point.
  • Ashbery76Ashbery76 Senior Member Posts: 604Registered Users
    Just needs battles about 15% slower imo.
    edited August 2017

Sorry, but gotta' nitpick:

1.Define "epic" and "arcadey" in the context of that survey. I bet not everyone partaking in the poll has the same idea of what those words mean. Are epic battles dependent on participants? 2000 peasent mob vs 2000 peasent mob is a lot of people but also just peasents beating each other up and probably not everyone's idea of "epic"

2.Please avoid priming the participants towards answers you prefer. "Are battles too arcadey" is a leading question. How about "What do you think about the complexity of TWWH battles?" "Could be more complex/Just Right/Too Complex". Of course, best with an example of "complexity"

3.What's the difference between wanting units sizes and map sizes "6" larger and "7" larger?

Also fair.

1. Any question asking people to give attention to the semantics of a particular word can be taken with a pinch of salt - most peoples' definitions of these terms will vary a bit.

2. It was asking the accuracy of the term "arcadey". not asking for people to agree/disagree but I take your point. The problem with using examples is that people tend to respond specifically to that one example rather than the more general question, but yes, was trying to avoid question bloat so it is inherently a bit vague.

3. I guess 7 would be just a bit larger than 6? ;) Perhaps would have been better to use percentages for that one...
    Post edited by Fredrin on
  • GrayserGrayser Junior Member Posts: 233Registered Users
    Good survey.

I agree that some of the questions were somewhat...tilted but its difficult to create a perfectly neutral survey, I would assume most people here have their head on straight leading it to be a mostly non-issue.

Honestly no matter what the results are, in what I consider my favor or against my interests I hope the community can do more stuff like this. Win / lose it will at least be a way to communicate clearly with CA.

Hopefully enough people answer so a sufficient sample size is reached, I am no expert but isent around a thousand participants or so a decent sample size in this context? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, just seem to remember reading that somewhere.
  • EpicureanEpicurean Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    @Fredrin thank you for the survey. Hopefully many people will answer it.
  • BrakierBrakier Posts: 1,521Registered Users
    i did the survey, nice job.

• ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USAPosts: 5,559Registered Users
    Took the survey and I am interesting to know how many take it in the end and the results.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
    Cheers guys. Aim of the game is to get the highest volume of useful feedback to CA as possible. I'm no professional, so the results won't be perfect, but questions/answered are pretty balanced on the whole so will hopefully give a good "indication" :smile:
    Almost 400 in so far... and some interesting ones I can tell you!
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 15,368Registered Users
    I offer you a sincere, and legitimate congratulations on the first forum poll I've seen that's not blatantly biased one way or the other.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    edited August 2017

I offer you a sincere, and legitimate congratulations on the first forum poll I've seen that's not blatantly biased one way or the other.

Haha, thanks :smile: It's not easy but the website has some sweet functionality these days (like the opinion slider) which makes it a bit less difficult to maintain the balance.
  • PrayPray Posts: 1,349Registered Users
    Map size is meaning campaign or battle map ?
    Please keep this bumped to keep the responses coming in - 500 so far
  • ValeliValeli Senior Member Posts: 1,932Registered Users
    Fun survey, filled it out.

Part of me feels obligated to point out that the responses you'll get soliciting a voluntary survey on a website where likely only the more invested users of the series hang out will be incredibly biased and not reliable as a measure of the TW user base as a whole.

But that aside, fun survey.