Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Having a bit of trouble Bretonnia vs Wood elves

CarnakCarnak Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 218
So I've finally got a good start to a Bretonnia VH campaign. I held out against Marienburg when he attacked with two stacks early, and was able to take Marienburg. This allowed me to pen in Skulltakerz so they couldn't run out and smash Languille which they seem to love to do and I got rid of them too. Now I'm in great shape to face chaos and confederate, I've just got Artois so far, but it's that point in the game when the Wood Elves have confederated and they start stomping everything. I tried to save Paravon but I had to reload because we just got smashed too easily. My economy can't support multiple armies so I have to try to beat them in the field until I get confederate and throw more men at the problem.

My question is this: how do you beat the Wood Elves in the field with Bretonnia on Very Hard? Their bows do so much damage and they don't rout. I'm still building up economy so my army is early stage. 2 trebuchets, around 5 archers, a few swordsmen, Louen, a paladin, and a lady of heavens and the rest is mixed heavy cav. I have one pegasus , a grail knight, a couple knights of the realm and one knight errant I think. Do you just build an army of mostly cheaper shielded cav and run them all down? My knights do great against them one on one but I just can't kill the archers fast enough.

Comments

• Talmorean#3084Talmorean#3084 Registered Users Posts: 1,487
    2nd Stack of mounted yeomen fast cav. Encircle them and tie up the archers from shooting. That's what I do at least.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,166
    With that comp, I would just sit back and plink them at range. Have the archers form a line in front of the trebuchets, put the cav on the flanks and back. Maybe get some peasants too and flank the archers. Wait till the WE engage then to an end-run around the sides with the cav smashing into the back.

If you hold shift you can drag a path for the cav to run and I just make a "J" into the back of the enemy so that my cav run around the back and then attack.

If the WE run sideways or backwards, they run into the cav, if they run forwards they run into your archers/peasants and they will just be an anvil.
  • Galvinized_IronGalvinized_Iron Registered Users Posts: 1,025
    Yeah recently finished a Bretonnia campaign on legendary and I agree that the Wood Elves were the hardest enemy by a huge margin. Mainly due to the fact that when you chase down their archers they scatter and since they have more archers than you got cavalry, your knights will take a beating in the rear from armor piercing arrows.

Generally I found these to be good approaches:

1) Avoid unnecessary field battles, blitz right for their settlements and burn them down.

2) Be prepare to accept high losses. Each time one of your armies burn down on of their settlements it is likely to wiped out by the Elven counter-attack or drained by attrition on the march home.

3) As you will take losses you should aim to make your army cost effective. Shielded spearmen and archers are generally the most cost effective way to fight the elves. They will go down to archers and the spearmen will keep them busy. Throw in some grail reliquaries to keep them fighting.

4) Although knight are usually great against ranged, they are not a good choice against Elves. Flying varities fare a bit better, but really your archers is what is going to bring the Elves down.
  • CarnakCarnak Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 218
    Talmorean said:

2nd Stack of mounted yeomen fast cav. Encircle them and tie up the archers from shooting. That's what I do at least.

This is a great idea. I might try this first for my fodder army.
    MrJade said:

With that comp, I would just sit back and plink them at range. Have the archers form a line in front of the trebuchets, put the cav on the flanks and back. Maybe get some peasants too and flank the archers. Wait till the WE engage then to an end-run around the sides with the cav smashing into the back.

If you hold shift you can drag a path for the cav to run and I just make a "J" into the back of the enemy so that my cav run around the back and then attack.

If the WE run sideways or backwards, they run into the cav, if they run forwards they run into your archers/peasants and they will just be an anvil.

I do well for about 80% of the battle, but my tactics tend to depend on routing units and on this difficulty they just keep coming at me. When it's greenskins it's no big deal but the elves can still hurt you bad in small numbers. Thanks for the tip on shift key, didn't know about that. I'm constantly pausing to get my units where I want em. I think I probably also engage my cav too soon.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,166
    Carnak said:

I do well for about 80% of the battle, but my tactics tend to depend on routing units and on this difficulty they just keep coming at me. When it's greenskins it's no big deal but the elves can still hurt you bad in small numbers. Thanks for the tip on shift key, didn't know about that. I'm constantly pausing to get my units where I want em. I think I probably also engage my cav too soon.

Peasants cost more in upkeep than in recruitment. Let the WEs pretty much just wipe them out before engaging them. Archers are cheap too, I wouldn't really care if all of those units are gone, since you are having such a massive exchange rate advantage. It'll take them more turns and more money to rebuild their armies compared to yours.

Yeah recently finished a Bretonnia campaign on legendary and I agree that the Wood Elves were the hardest enemy by a huge margin. Mainly due to the fact that when you chase down their archers they scatter and since they have more archers than you got cavalry, your knights will take a beating in the rear from armor piercing arrows.

1) Avoid unnecessary field battles, blitz right for their settlements and burn them down.

2) Be prepare to accept high losses. Each time one of your armies burn down on of their settlements it is likely to wiped out by the Elven counter-attack or drained by attrition on the march home.

3) As you will take losses you should aim to make your army cost effective. Shielded spearmen and archers are generally the most cost effective way to fight the elves. They will go down to archers and the spearmen will keep them busy. Throw in some grail reliquaries to keep them fighting.

4) Although knight are usually great against ranged, they are not a good choice against Elves. Flying varities fare a bit better, but really your archers is what is going to bring the Elves down.

These are great tips too, I'm gonna have to try spears/archers and maybe yeoman. Would you go for fire arrows or just regular cheapies?
  • Galvinized_IronGalvinized_Iron Registered Users Posts: 1,025
    Carnak said:

These are great tips too, I'm gonna have to try spears/archers and maybe yeoman. Would you go for fire arrows or just regular cheapies?
    It doesn't really matter. Regular ones do the job just fine
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,387
    Consider pox arrows. Slows the little buggers down and nerfs them a bit.