Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

upgrading

michaelwho19871987michaelwho19871987 Posts: 2Registered Users
edited September 2017 in Technology
what components should I upgrade in order to achieve better game play in massive battles?

my pc:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
16384MB RAM
AMD FX 8370 EIGHT CORE PROCESSOR 4GHZ
basic hdd 1tb

Comments

• TheBlaze_64TheBlaze_64 Posts: 197Registered Users
    solid state would make for quicker load times, but i'm not well versed on the processor.

you could go for a better graphics card, but i'd honestly wait for the next gen or for better prices.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,113Registered Users
    edited September 2017
    You already seem to have optimal stuff. Graphic or processor upgrade should not do very much better. And a eigth core is already overkill for current games.

You could upgrade to an SSD harddrive, since loading times with HDD are a pain in the ass in comparision (I did recently upgrade myself to a 250gb ssd as main drive and a 500gb ssd for my installed games and so know it from experience), but that will not help you for "game play in battles".

-----Red Dox
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Posts: 2,928Registered Users
    edited September 2017
    You can look into an i7 7700k for your cpu. The ryzen 5 is another you can go with if you want to stick with AMD.

As for your gpu you could get an nvidia 1070 or 1080, but check the benchmarks to see if its worth the price to upgrade from a 1060.

I would get a SSD 1TB for your hard drive though, helps a lot with load times.

RAM wise you only really need 16GB. There is DDR4 though if you're using DDR3 still.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,727Registered Users
    edited September 2017
    Your CPU for sure- Intel i7 7700K is 60-80% faster (depends on clock/turbo) than the FX8370. AMD Ryzen 7 1800X is 60-70% faster which is huge for TW. You'll need new motherboard and probably RAM so it isn't a cheap nor easy upgrade like a new video card.

TW is heavily depending on core speeds- Warhammer unlike all previous TW makes decent use of extra cores but single core speed is still getting most of the work done. Ryzen 7 is pretty competitive and while costs about 25% more than slightly faster 7700K it handles multi tasking better and if more games are optimized for multiple cores it might eventually exceed the 7700 series but those are some IFs that surface nearly every generation of AMD for the past few years.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • BrakierBrakier Posts: 1,520Registered Users
    edited September 2017
    A better cpu from 4,0 you would only reach about 4,3 so it very wasted imo, the biggest change ive had when upgrading my computer is an SSD , you load in into battles and into the campaign in under 10 secs mostly. try counting how long time it takes for you to load into battle and load out, it probly will be somewhere around 40 secs. also the campaign turns do feel alittle smoother to on an ssd.

and no you dont need a 1070 or 1080 gtx for total war warhammer, as long as you play whit a 1080p 60 hz monitor.

• michaelwho19871987michaelwho19871987 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Im thinking a ssd for sure now, battle load time is aount 1-2 min, and maybe an i7 or ryzen