Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So Morathi is back to worshipping Slaanesh?

Comments

• DalakhDalakh Senior Member FranceRegistered Users Posts: 1,937
    boyfights said:

Yeah because the need to set up the current canon where Malekith is a good guy afterall and bends the knee to Grimgor is such superior story telling. There is no circumstance Morathi, blessed and purist elf she be, would make a deal with any Dark Power. You can see examples of this when she slept with that entire Chaos tribe to get them to attack Ulthuan.

hahaha did gw really write that?? that's amazing

anyways cheers CA for going with the good version of dark elves who don't worship aaliyah or whatever
    That was written in 8th edition so it's the version that worships "aaliyah or whatever" who did that, more or less.
    "We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

— Malekith, Witch King of Naggaroth
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Registered Users Posts: 2,583
    edited September 2017
    Valkaar said:

I HOPE she's just dealing/making pacts with Chaos but still has her own end game.

If she's just a Chaos servant, that seems like a boring take on the character.

Although it does make a tad more sense why her and Malekith would fight each other in the campaign.

This she makes pacts with any entity be it chaos , elven or other for her own betterment /goals not cause she worships chaos or anyone else in the lore.Which sadly seems not to be so in the game if we go by the using of the word allegiance.
    Post edited by HisShadowBG on
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,116
    There is absolutely no reason why Slaanesh and Atharti cannot both have influence on Dark Elves. Look at it as Morathi represents the Slaaneshi dark elves while all the other's worship the Cytharai.

Personally I preferred the idea that Morathi worships Slaanesh as it solidifies the Chaos Gods as an ever-present threat that can take many forms.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,894
    Krunch said:

There is absolutely no reason why Slaanesh and Atharti cannot both have influence on Dark Elves. Look at it as Morathi represents the Slaaneshi dark elves while all the other's worship the Cytharai.

Personally I preferred the idea that Morathi worships Slaanesh as it solidifies the Chaos Gods as an ever-present threat that can take many forms.

Ture.

Afterall:
    Khorne is suppose to gain strength you matter if his followers kill or his followers are killed.
    As long blood flows, he wins.
    Slanessh could work the same way.
    You may be perverted in the name of Atharti, but does Slaanesh really care?
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,510
    If she is a slaanesh follower in Warhammer 2 I have a really hard time deciding who to play cause than I love all the factions.
  • baronblackbaronblack Registered Users Posts: 3,213
    In the End Times was indicated that Atharti was Slaanesh all the way, but you could only deduce it, it was never confirmed. I like her Slaaneshi, because if we get Hellebron it will be very nice the Dark elves "infighting", as more Skaven lords will get more "infighting" between themselves. As for now, just for me, Skaven seems too much united in purpose and not so backstabby.
    We need more loyalty mechanic infos.
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynRegistered Users Posts: 11,132
    Krunch said:

You don't think it makes the Warhammer World too simplistic, if Chaos is the only evil present?
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • Darkened1836Darkened1836 Registered Users Posts: 260

Krunch said:

You don't think it makes the Warhammer World too simplistic, if Chaos is the only evil present?
    I think the Dark Elfs stand plenty evil on their own without Chaos. Worshipping Slaanesh or Khaine or whomever isn't what makes Morathi evil. It doesn't define her character entirely.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,571
    There are the 4 dark gods of chaos. Then there are crazy powerful daemon lords and what not who are often considered gods in their own right... they represent various facets of the 4.

Then you've got the elven pantheon, the old ones, all those human man-gods, etc. And of course, Mork and Gork - the greatest of them all.

Now, I'm old school. So, to me the Dark Elves don't have their own gods -- they have the regular elven gods and the dark gods of chaos. Khaine was the major "dark" elven god iirc. Slaanesh was *always* linked to dark elves.

I dunno what all this Alliyah crap is. Sounds like a major 8th ed crap --- er, retcon -- all over 30 years of warhammer lore, so... for my two cents, if Morathi is all slaaneshi and khainey, I'm good with that.

Also... except perhaps the old ones, ALL gods are inside of Chaos / The Warp.

So... yeah... chaos corruption *is* an ever present threat.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 11,802
    Itharus said:

There are the 4 dark gods of chaos. Then there are crazy powerful daemon lords and what not who are often considered gods in their own right... they represent various facets of the 4.

Then you've got the elven pantheon, the old ones, all those human man-gods, etc. And of course, Mork and Gork - the greatest of them all.

Now, I'm old school. So, to me the Dark Elves don't have their own gods -- they have the regular elven gods and the dark gods of chaos. Khaine was the major "dark" elven god iirc. Slaanesh was *always* linked to dark elves.

I dunno what all this Alliyah crap is. Sounds like a major 8th ed crap --- er, retcon -- all over 30 years of warhammer lore, so... for my two cents, if Morathi is all slaaneshi and khainey, I'm good with that.

The thing is that Atharti and Hekarti are here to stay, so basically it's like CA trying to have it both ways, only so they can reuse the Chaos Corruption for Morathi as well. Of course Atharti, Khaine and Hekarti, can be Slaanesh, Khorne and Tzeentch by another names and forms, but the Chaos Corruption makes the Chaos Worship too obvious.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Khaine
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member Registered Users Posts: 1,203
    Itharus said:

You tell those young whipper snappers.

Why in my day Bretonnia was a 17th century French country with a corrupt king.

I dunno what all this King Arnold crap is. Sounds like a major 8th ed crap --- er, retcon -- all over 30 years of warhammer lore.

Make France surrender again.
  • Neolucifer2000Neolucifer2000 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 956
    Its called cult of pleasure for a reason...i hope modders or CA releases exclusive Slanneshi elf units for her faction

Demand more love for Empire and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Built-in RoR like Hochland Long Rifles and Knightly orders! Doombull, Wargor, Ghorgon, Jabberslythe, Tuskboar chariot and God-specific Gors! #MakeOldWorldGreatAgain
  • NemotheelfNemotheelf Registered Users Posts: 842
    Chaos worship had almost always played a major role in the formation of the Dark Elves, especially with Morathi in the mix. The Chaos Cults of Pleasure and some of the deranged aspects of Druchii society all flow back to her, and they used to be a source of major contention between her, Hellbron, and Malekith that made Dark Elf society so dodgy. Having her worship what was essentially the Elven Aphrodite instead of the Dark Prince made absolutely no sense. This is a retcon worth having.

Chaos worship had almost always played a major role in the formation of the Dark Elves, especially with Morathi in the mix. The Chaos Cults of Pleasure and some of the deranged aspects of Druchii society all flow back to her, and they used to be a source of major contention between her, Hellbron, and Malekith that made Dark Elf society so dodgy. Having her worship what was essentially the Elven Aphrodite instead of the Dark Prince made absolutely no sense. This is a retcon worth having.

Considering that both the High Elves and the Dark Elves are heavily inspired by Ancient Greece, and that one 'Dark Elven God' was always a thing, that retcon more then make sense.
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Karaz BrynRegistered Users Posts: 11,132
    Tayvar said:

Considering that both the High Elves and the Dark Elves are heavily inspired by Ancient Greece, and that one 'Dark Elven God' was always a thing, that retcon more then make sense.
    And as I say, Chaos as the only evil everywhere is lazy.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"

"Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

I'm not sure where you're getting that Chaos worship has always played a major role. It was a footnote until 6th when they went all in with the cult of Slaanesh and had Morathi openly siding with Chaos. They immediately decided that was a horrible mistake and completely retconned it in 7th.
    Tayvar said:

It also doesn't help that the Cytharai/Cadai split was never really explored to begin with. Hell, depending on what you were reading the Cytharai were either Chaos Gods-lite to be avoided at all costs, or just dark but still essential beings that all the Elven factions worshiped. Really out of all the Warhammer pantheons, the Elven one has gotten the least attention; most of the Cytharai in 7th and 8th ed got little more than a paragraph or two.

Atharti is just the Elven goddess of desire and sex. That's not really bad. Slaanesh, on the other hand, is more than just carnal pleasures, but also pride, addiction, and twisted love, which all fit with Morathi in one way or another considering she still hasn't gotten over Aenarion.
    There's nothing that really explains why Atharti is Cytharai. Desire and sex isn't so bad, especially considering the Elven attitude of frivolous sex and a care-free attitude when it comes to their promiscuity. Why is Atharti considered Cytharai if that's all it is?

I'm not sure where you're getting that Chaos worship has always played a major role. It was a footnote until 6th when they went all in with the cult of Slaanesh and had Morathi openly siding with Chaos. They immediately decided that was a horrible mistake and completely retconned it in 7th.
    Earlier editions of the Dark Elves were explicit Chaos worshipers or at least Elves that openly worked with Chaos. Morathi was a Slaaneshi cultist, the Cults of Pleasure were Slaaneshi cults, and even Malekith made a few odd pacts with the Dark Gods. That all got less attention and moved more into the background to where Morathi and a few small cabals were cultists, but it was still heavily implied that the Dark Elves had been corrupted in some way.

It, to me, wasn't a mistake. The Elves aren't impervious to Chaos, and they're especially desired by Slaanesh who embodies both the best and the worst qualities of the Elven race. Having an Elven god be responsible for the Elves' fall from grace is arguably worse.
    edited September 2017
    By the way... you don't have to openly side with Slaanesh.

The sexy -- rather, depraved (>.>), acts the Dark Elves commit for the sake of their own pleasure is inherently Slaanesh worship, even if they don't actively do it for Slaanesh.

You can take a hint from WH40K on that one. There, the Eldar (elves) created Slaanesh when their civilization fell to pleasure seeking and excess. Both the Eldar and the Dark Eldar inherently loathe Slaanesh and would destroy Slaanesh if they could. Yet, the Dark Elves (for a few reasons) still increase her power by their actions.

That's what's crappy about the dark gods of chaos. You serve them unless you lead anything but a disciplined, pious life.

Only Lizard Men and Greenskins really don't contribute.

(which is why they are my favorite factions)

There's nothing that really explains why Atharti is Cytharai. Desire and sex isn't so bad, especially considering the Elven attitude of frivolous sex and a care-free attitude when it comes to their promiscuity. Why is Atharti considered Cytharai if that's all it is?

The Cytharai and Cadai split is a mostly shallow attempt by GW to add some depth to the Elven religion, which really never was as fleshed out as the Dwarfen, and especially Human, pantheons. Outside of Asuryan, Isha, and Khaine, most of the Elven gods were non-entities in the lore.

Supposedly, the Cytharai represent the darker aspects of the world and the Elven race, but the fluff never really made it clear if these gods were straight-up malicious and wanted to corrupt the Elves, or they were just unpleasant but still ardent opponents of Chaos.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,894

Tayvar said:

And having DE identical with the chaos gods is not?

(we ignore Gork and Mork for a moment)
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
    SiWI said:

Tayvar said:

And having DE identical with the chaos gods is not?

(we ignore Gork and Mork for a moment)
    I don't feel that the Elven Pantheon is identical to Chaos?

Team Elize von Carstein

Well that's kinda my point. The Dark Elves worship the Cytharai and its tied to their darker aspects, their unpleasantness. Khaine is the opposite of Asuryan. Anath Raema is the opposite of Kurnous. Hekarti is the opposite of Hoeth. And Atharti? Well she's bad. Because of sex. And pleasure.

?????

There is also no explanation for why elves (all of them) are cursed to be devoured by Slaanesh when they die. Wood elves and high elves have ways to avoid this but dark elves don't care. So instead of worshipping Slaanesh and trying to ascend to daemonhood to avoid this fate, they worship Atharti and get consumed anyway?
    Do all elves get eaten by Slaanesh? I know that's a 40K thing. Not sure about WHFB.

The wood elves don't worry about it because their spirits go into the infinity circuit... I mean... athel loren.
    edited September 2017

Tayvar said:

It also doesn't help that the Cytharai/Cadai split was never really explored to begin with. Hell, depending on what you were reading the Cytharai were either Chaos Gods-lite to be avoided at all costs, or just dark but still essential beings that all the Elven factions worshiped. Really out of all the Warhammer pantheons, the Elven one has gotten the least attention; most of the Cytharai in 7th and 8th ed got little more than a paragraph or two.

Atharti is just the Elven goddess of desire and sex. That's not really bad. Slaanesh, on the other hand, is more than just carnal pleasures, but also pride, addiction, and twisted love, which all fit with Morathi in one way or another considering she still hasn't gotten over Aenarion.
    Well in the Warhammer World's desire and sex tend to be evil, more often then not, and being prudish/asexual is one of the best ways to avoid Chaos Influence, especially the part that comes from Slaanesh. One of Slaanesh's greatest Champions, Sigvald, is also don't look evil/bad on the first glance. Aphrodite is not really good, it was common for her to cheat on her Husband with the God of War. Also from description of Atharti in Total War, she is quite clearly not good, she takes desires to extremes, almost like Slaanesh. 'Evil is Sexy' Trope don't makes them good.

http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/tech/tech_dlc05_2_atharti
    Yes, that was one of the relatively recent changes. And that is addressed explicitly in their 8th army book.
  • Nitros14Nitros14 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,843
    Her worshiping Slaanesh makes more sense anyway.
    edited September 2017

Well that's kinda my point. The Dark Elves worship the Cytharai and its tied to their darker aspects, their unpleasantness. Khaine is the opposite of Asuryan. Anath Raema is the opposite of Kurnous. Hekarti is the opposite of Hoeth. And Atharti? Well she's bad. Because of sex. And pleasure.

?????

All the Elven factions worship the Cytharai, even the High Elves since appeasing both the dark and light sides of their psyche is part of their philosophy of Yenlui, or inner balance and peace.
    Again, it's never made clear if the Cytharai are evil demonic gods, or just unpleasant yet still useful entities that want to help the Elves. GW never seemed to have made up their mind with them.
    There is also no explanation for why elves (all of them) are cursed to be devoured by Slaanesh when they die. Wood elves and high elves have ways to avoid this but dark elves don't care. So instead of worshipping Slaanesh and trying to ascend to daemonhood to avoid this fate, they worship Atharti and get consumed anyway?
    While the Elves are desired by Slaanesh and are more vulnerable to their worship, the majority of Elves are not doomed. They could also be snagged by Asuryan, Loec, or Ereth Khial, but like with a lot of the Elves' religion, their afterlife isn't static and got changed plenty.

Like I said, I feel like a lot of this is just GW being somehow unable to establish the Elves' own gods, religion, and their relationship to Slaanesh.

Earlier editions of the Dark Elves were explicit Chaos worshipers or at least Elves that openly worked with Chaos. Morathi was a Slaaneshi cultist, the Cults of Pleasure were Slaaneshi cults, and even Malekith made a few odd pacts with the Dark Gods. That all got less attention and moved more into the background to where Morathi and a few small cabals were cultists, but it was still heavily implied that the Dark Elves had been corrupted in some way.

It, to me, wasn't a mistake. The Elves aren't impervious to Chaos, and they're especially desired by Slaanesh who embodies both the best and the worst qualities of the Elven race. Having an Elven god be responsible for the Elves' fall from grace is arguably worse.
    I don't know where you're getting all of that. In 4th edition the only mentions I remember were in the timeline where Malekith came back and accused Morathi of being a Chaos lackey, and Morathi being able to use the lore of Slaanesh. The great Chaos incursion wasn't Chaos worship. A Slaaneshi horde invaded Naggarond and rather than fight them the DEs convinced them to invaded Ulthuan.

That isn't what I would consider a major role in DE lore.
    Itharus said:

Do all elves get eaten by Slaanesh? I know that's a 40K thing. Not sure about WHFB.

The wood elves don't worry about it because their spirits go into the infinity circuit... I mean... athel loren.

The High Elves trap the souls of their dead in waystones to protect them from Slaanesh. The Dark Elves would rather face oblivion than spend eternity in a spirit prison and don't protect their souls at all.