Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The historical title

julius_civilisjulius_civilis Registered Users Posts: 365
Hello,
I'm a huge fan of total war especially historical ones I own all and played all of them except shogun 1 and medieval 1.

No wonder I was slightly dissapointed when w2 was announced I did play wh1 it was enjoyable but after 40-50 hours I was done with it because it wasnt the real ttw to me.
Not a big deal btw everybody has their preferences some people loved warhammer others hated it I was in the middle of it, didnt really like it but most certainly did not hate it.

So i made this topic for people who prefer the historical titles so we can discuss here which era's we'd like to see I personally just dont really care which era, I'm a history freak so there you go. Also I'd like to know your opinions about warhammer total war.

Thanks

Comments

• TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 10,877
    And why didn't you make this topic in the 'total war general chat'?
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 797
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 1,352
    I've played total war since day 1 starting with Shogun I. Have been a huge fan of the series ever since and played every one of them.

I personally think that Warhammer in many ways improved the series. Not so much Warhammer I but the process of evolvement to make the next Warhammer game (W II) stand out. The campaign map of Warhammer II is the most enriched map of the total war series I've ever seen. It's my strong believe that new historical titles will benefit from this. And to be frank I think that the ''brand'' total war needed a boost to stay interesting (for me that is)

In my opinion CA did a great job with Warhammer and Warhammer II seems very promising with all the new mechanics in place.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,652
    Roman, Greek and Medieval era are the best for me.

Shogun, China and Mongol next.
  • FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,549
    Since it's already been said this is the wrong spot, I'll just add to this thread:

My preference would be something like a Victorian era Total War. A chance for CA to do Empire right basically.

Since I think it was said the next game is a new era, it sadly can't be the 1700s but the 1800s could be pretty cool still. That's my hope for a historical game.

Honestly with Warhammer turning out the way it is...I may actually pass on the next historical game if it's something I personally find boring (like China).
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,796
    Next Historical Title -

Total War : A Game of Thrones
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,571
    It is indeed slightly dissapointing.
    CA said warhammer shouldnt conflict with release of the next historical total war and it is in the making so I would expect it to be announced next year!
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Registered Users Posts: 5,211
    edited September 2017
    Honestly, I've come to consider historical titles just speedbumps on the schedule of the next fictional game, Warhammer or otherwise. I've been with the series since Shogun, but now that I've led monsters and wizards into battle mere human soldiers will look boring by comparison. If CA was to made just fantasy/sci-fi strategy games from now on I would personally be overjoyed.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 10,877
    seienchin said:

It is indeed slightly dissapointing.
    CA said warhammer shouldn't conflict with release of the next historical total war and it is in the making so I would expect it to be announced next year!

It's not a secret that Part 2 is reusing many things from Part 1, that's why it's take less time to make.
  • CragsclawCragsclaw Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 112
    I would suspect that TW:Arena has been a bigger drain on resources that would be used for historical titles.
    I can understand how all this release hype for Warhammer 2 might disappoint those Total War fans who have no interest in Warhammer. Its like going to a football match and finding out that your favorite player is injured and unavailable.

CA should just disclose the setting of at least one of the two standalone Historical titles in production. That way history fans have something to look forward to and discuss etc, and will feel less forlorn.

• AstraeusAstraeus Member BrittonisRegistered Users Posts: 364

CA should just disclose the setting of at least one of the two standalone Historical titles in production. That way history fans have something to look forward to and discuss etc, and will feel less forlorn.

I can only assume the reveal of TW Korea has to be timed very delicately...
  • dacurtdacurt Registered Users Posts: 99
    edited September 2017
    With all my respect:

It was pretty clear when it was announced that Total War: Warhammer would be divided into 3 games, these would go together, one after the other (for obvious reasons like the graphics engine, it would be out of date to separate more the games). So I don't understand what these complaints right now.

For all players who prefer historical titles: At the same time that you prefer the historical titles and you would like to see these instead of Warhammer, you have to be understanding and understand a thing; this will be the only time a Warhammer game / saga is made by CA, it will not be played any more, while historical titles will continue to widen forever. Out of respect for Warhammer lovers, you should wait patiently.

As mentioned above, this is not the right place for your publication.

Greeting.
    Post edited by dacurt on
  • Blueeyesgirl3Blueeyesgirl3 Registered Users Posts: 285
    I've been with the series since I was a child, first game I played was Rome Total War, but I did do a bit of backtracking and played the original Medieval frequently as well. Medieval II was my absolute jam and is still one of my favourite games, but everything in between that and Warhammer was just... really bad, to me. Except Shogun 2, that was okay and I play it with my boyfriend occasionally, more than I play it in my own time.

But, Warhammer brought me back to the Total War series and made me interested again, after the slew of what, in my opinion, were some pretty underwhelming titles, and I will always be grateful to it for that.

As for the next Historical title I'd like to see a Chinese one.
    Team Lizardmen
  • TotalWarChakaxTotalWarChakax Registered Users Posts: 601
    I REALLY want a mongolian khanate Total war
  • julius_civilisjulius_civilis Registered Users Posts: 365
    Tayvar said:

And why didn't you make this topic in the 'total war general chat'?

I'm sorry, noobie to the forums

I can understand how all this release hype for Warhammer 2 might disappoint those Total War fans who have no interest in Warhammer. Its like going to a football match and finding out that your favorite player is injured and unavailable.

I totally agree, if I just knew a setting and knew when to expect the game I'd be much more cheerful. But maybe i'll give this w2 a try from what I've seen it looks promising
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 17,601
    Total Warhammer is so much better than any historical title that I'll likely never play one again.

If you don't like it that's awesomesauce, but don't try to ruin our HYPE TRAIN.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,571

Total Warhammer is so much better than any historical title that I'll likely never play one again.

If you don't like it that's awesomesauce, but don't try to ruin our HYPE TRAIN.

How about you dont show up in this thread then?
    Well to be fair though this thread needs to be moved as well...
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,162
    Historical > Fantasy

Victorian would be my cup of tea. I'll pass on anything Asian though. China, Korea, and Mongolia aren't interesting to me.

I'd rather have an 1830s-1920s game.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,130
    Moved.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • AbonzoAbonzo Member Registered Users Posts: 318
    The next historical stand-alone - not the saga game that is the next release will be in a 'colourfull unseen era'

colourful, never before covered era? Can only be TW: China.

i was hoping for a WW1 game but i do not believe this would class as colourful as let's be honest it was a pretty dull time in regards to colours.
    Pre Steam Hours On Total War Franchise - Un countable - played every game and expansion since shogun

Steam Hours On Total War - 3618 and counting

Steam Hours Breakdown
    Rome 2 - 1451
    Atilla - 1015
    Shogun 2 - 743
    Warhammer - 376
    Empire/medieval 2 ( got in sale, played on disk mainly) - 33

i think i have a addiction.

*please excuse my bad English*
  • JecklJeckl Registered Users Posts: 376
    Abonzo said:

The next historical stand-alone - not the saga game that is the next release will be in a 'colourfull unseen era'

i was hoping for a WW1 game but i do not believe this would class as colourful as let's be honest it was a pretty dull time in regards to colours.

What about the renaissance? that hasn't been covered before and it has a lot of colour.
    Further more I consider that Morathi's Chaos Corruption must be changed.
    Abonzo said:

Or maybe the events leading towards word war 1. In the french-german (prussian) war from 1880 they still had colourful uniforms but more advanced warfare could be quite
    Interesting. But like you said I'd love to see something like trench warfare in total war would be very hard to realize tho.
    edited September 2017
    Jeckl said:

Abonzo said:

What about the renaissance? that hasn't been covered before and it has a lot of colour.
    I read in one of the blogs (or some interview?) that the new game (non-saga) has a great amount of focus on characters.

Total War Three Kingdoms does lend itself nicely to character focused game-play.

I hope its not WW1, or anything post Napoleonic Wars. There are hundreds of strategy games with similar rifle / trench / cover based combat already. Battles in WW1 had the least amount of diversity, in terms of tactics or soldiery.

Total War should stick to settings where units move and maneuver in formations, and where cavalry is still relevant. I will not pay for a Total War game that does not have glorious cavalry charges.
  • JecklJeckl Registered Users Posts: 376

Jeckl said:

Abonzo said:

I read in one of the blogs (or some interview?) that the new game (non-saga) has a great amount of focus on characters.

Total War Three Kingdoms does lend itself nicely to character focused game-play.

I hope its not WW1, or anything post Napoleonic Wars. There are hundreds of strategy games with similar rifle / trench / cover based combat already. Battles in WW1 had the least amount of diversity, in terms of tactics or soldiery.

Total War should stick to settings where units move and maneuver in formations, and where cavalry is still relevant. I will not pay for a Total War game that does not have glorious cavalry charges.
    WW1 had glories cavalry charges

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Beersheba_(1917)

Albeit they were mounted infantry rather then full time cavalry but still.
    Further more I consider that Morathi's Chaos Corruption must be changed.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,256
    Problem I have with the "look at Warhammer! Historical will reap those benefits!" it runs in to the issue of seperate teams. They wont be able to exchange content due to them having built differently, the changes from when they started WH1 and what ever the new historical game is can block a lot of the portability from one to the other.

My hope is the time they give it will benefit the game.
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 607
    edited September 2017
    MrJade said:

Historical > Fantasy
    Victorian would be my cup of tea. I'll pass on anything Asian though. China, Korea, and Mongolia aren't interesting to me.
    I'd rather have an 1830s-1920s game.

If you will pass on anything Asian, then why do you have a signature that rates Shogun I & II so highly?

"Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100"
    Jeckl said:

Abonzo said:

The Renaissance is partially covered by MTW2 (late medieval units) and the MTW2 expansion that goes into the 1500s. So the only part of the Renissance that isn't covered is basically 1600/late 1500s to 1700, roughly 100-150 years.

So it's not "totally new." For totally new eras, my bet is on ancient China, medieval Asia, or Victoria TW.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,256

Jeckl said:

Abonzo said:

The Renaissance is partially covered by MTW2 (late medieval units) and the MTW2 expansion that goes into the 1500s. So the only part of the Renissance that isn't covered is basically 1600/late 1500s to 1700, roughly 100-150 years.

So it's not "totally new." For totally new eras, my bet is on ancient China, medieval Asia, or Victoria TW.
    Your arguments against the Renaissance would also rule out Victoria TW.
    1. Late units are in Empire, Napoleon and Fall of the Samurai.
    2. Fall of the Samuria also covers a part of that period.
    3. 100-150 years is longer than the Victorian era, which is only 64 years long.
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 607
    edited September 2017
    Commisar said:

Your arguments against the Renaissance would also rule out Victoria TW.
    1. Late units are in Empire, Napoleon and Fall of the Samurai.
    2. Fall of the Samuria also covers a part of that period.
    3. 100-150 years is longer than the Victorian era, which is only 64 years long.

1. Not quite the same timeframe. I believe Empire starts in the late 1600s/at 1700 and ends in the late 1700s/at 1800, while the Napleonic Wars ended in 1815. Victorian Era starts 2 decades later around 1837.

2. FOTS is in Japan, which is a totally different geographic setting - so Victoria still counts as new even if it's in the timeframe as it happens in a different part of the world. Otherwise, it'd be almost impossible to make another "new" historical TW game since the games RTW 1, RTW1 Alexander, RTW1 BI & Attila TW, Attila expansions, MTW2, Shogun 1 & 2, Empire, and Napleon basically covers the timeframe of 4th century BCE to early/mid 17th century CE and 18th century CE to 19th century CE. If we go by that standard, then the only timeperiods left is pre 4th century BCE, the 20th century, and a narrow sliver of time in the 1600s (since Shogun 2 is supposed to go into the early 1600s and Empire begins in the late 1600s or at 1700).

3. True.