Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do the Phoenix Guard speak?

JellyphasJellyphas Registered Users Posts: 47
Has anyone seen videos or streams that feature the Phoenix Guard and the player clicking on their unit cards? Do they speak, or do they stay silent as they do in the lore?

If they do speak, what are your thoughts on the subject? Are you upset that they breached the lore? Are you uncaring about this since it's quite trivial? Or are you hoping that CA at least give a justification for their sudden breaking of their vow, like in the End Times lore where Caradryan breaks his vow of silence due to the, well, the whole End Times thing?

Comments

• Nitros14Nitros14 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,875
    Phoenix Guard shouldn't talk and it would be silly for them to do so. It's one of their defining lore traits.

I could see them screaming in pain if they lost an arm though.
  • Icebern12Icebern12 Registered Users Posts: 168
  • BelialxvBelialxv Senior Member SteppesRegistered Users Posts: 1,627
    I can't help it but think that most people that don't know the lore and click on an unit of PG and notice it not speaking will interpret it as laziness on CAs part... :|

Just for that I can understand why CA would make PG speak.

That being said, I would personally prefer having them be silent like they are in the lore.
    ajz9uoslnqoi.jpg

HUITZILOPOCHTLI

god of war

LIZARDMEN #makelustriagreatagain
    Clan Moulder #masterclan
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 9,371
    I think their lore is pretty subpar compared to the rest of the HE lore.

Wouldnt mind an update on it.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • GeldorGeldor Registered Users Posts: 1,115
    They talked about this in one of the streams. The PG does not speak in this game - like in the lore.

I forgot which stream it was, maybe in first civil war?
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Registered Users Posts: 1,583
    Explaining in the unit description that Phoenix Guard stfu should suffice. They coukd use that saved money on making Malekith's voice just liek the voixe in thw trailee
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

• Haywire30Haywire30 Registered Users Posts: 9
    edited September 2017
    Keeping in mind it's not a regular vow of silence. It's magically binding, so they can't even scream in pain. That part is also mentioned in the High Elf army books, and is part of the reason why they cause Fear. Opponents get extremely unnerved by how they don't even make a sound, even if deprived of one or more limbs. No screaming. No talking. Not a peep.

Edit: Should also add that their leadership should be very high as well, on account of why they're magically bound to silence. They're bound to silence because they now know the future, and they know exactly when, where, and how they and all the future Phoenix Kings will die. Hard to be scared of a monstrous foe if you already know in advance, with absolute certainty, whether or not it's going to kill you.
  • DanielatarDanielatar Registered Users Posts: 31
    Phoenix Guard do not talk but they use sign language at least in the book Blood of Aenarion.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,672
    Geldor said:

They talked about this in one of the streams. The PG does not speak in this game - like in the lore.

so modders can use their "voice file" for Knights of Morr!
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN! TOTAL WAR TROY FOR ONE YEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE!"

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,798

The funniest part was how them not speaking used to make them cause fear on TT.

Black Orcs? Nah they're not scary, but pointy ears that don't talk? Terrifying.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • ZwirbaumZwirbaum Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 384

As far as I recall it is not just the fact that they are silent, but according to the text -

"While their stony quiet is unnerving, the aura of godly might that surrounds them is far more horrifying. Their eyes blaze with a fiery intensity borne of unshakable faith in the Creator God of the Elves, and the air around a regiment of Phoenix Guard literally throbs with the raw power of Asuryan. Any who would stand in their way are assailed by an overwhelming sense of dread."

And it reminds me that I heard/read somewhere that romans with no warcries etc. had also pretty unnerving effect on the barbarians, though don't quote me on that.
  • SurielSuriel Registered Users Posts: 113
    GW changed explanation for fear causing between 6th and 7th edition. Do not have access to rulebook now to verify, might have been 7 and 8.
    In 6th it was 'mute elves are scary'
    In 7th 'there is a fu...ing force field of God's power around those bastards, run b..ch, run'
  • Overlord87Overlord87 Registered Users Posts: 859
    edited September 2017

Well, on TT, I'd rather have Black Orcs to kill, than Phoenix Guard.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,081
    Geldor said:

In this case following the lore would save CA some voice acting Charlemagnes, so no worry. :)
  • TheBlaze_64TheBlaze_64 Registered Users Posts: 255
    You know, I've never been much of a Warhammer fan. I probably won't ever be anything resembling a dedicated fan (especially due to AOS) but sometimes I read stuff like this and think "Damn, that's some cool Lore."

I can definitely see why, if you pay attention to the Lore, details like this would matter. When I eventually play HE, I'll be thinking of this while sending in my PG.

PS: I wouldn't want to face off against some guy who just stares angrily at me like a psychopath while hacking me apart.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,672
    edited September 2017

PS: I wouldn't want to face off against some guy who just stares angrily at me like a psychopath while hacking me apart.

Did somebody say "Knights of Morr"?

"Encased within black armour and deathly silent when on the battlefield, the Knights of Morr are the dark guardians of the Empire. When parents wish to get their children to sleep at night, they tell them that the Knights of Morr will come for them unless they rest. The Knights of Morr are widely feared for their devotion to the god of the dead, and dark tales abound regarding their initiation rites. Even so, their martial prowess is more than welcome to those they fight alongside, for their silent efficiency is among the best in the Empire. "

"Notably, however, the Black Guard took part in the crusades against Araby. Their presence was to prove invaluable during the siege of El Haikk, when their silent and stalwart demeanour terrified many of the defenders, who believed they were the angry spirits of their ancestors returning to kill them. "

"Members of the Black Guard take vows of silence when initiated into the order, and are not permitted to speak or to utter a sound when on duty. This further adds to the air of menace that surrounds them. The Black Guard are permitted to speak at specific times, such as to call out warnings or orders in battle, although there are some within the order who maintain their vow of silence at all times outside of prayer. The most penitent and fanatical members of the order cut out their tongues to enforce the vow. "
    http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Knights_of_Morr
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN! TOTAL WAR TROY FOR ONE YEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE!"

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • DimitryDimitry Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 318
    edited September 2017
    Belialxv said:

I can't help it but think that most people that don't know the lore and click on an unit of PG and notice it not speaking will interpret it as laziness on CAs part... :|

They can just write in their descritption that it is part of their oath.
    I dont mind either way since I never played the tabletop but this is one way to avoid backlash from those not aware of the warhammer narrative.
  • TheChocolateJesusTheChocolateJesus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,427
    I am certain they already confirmed the Phoenix Guard won't speak. Though I am not sure if they will still scream when getting tossed around for example or if they will stay completely mute. Hoping for the latter.
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • Galvinized_IronGalvinized_Iron Registered Users Posts: 1,008
    edited September 2017
    As I recall the Phoenix King cuts out their tongues because "he needs silence"

Either that or they are a rip-off of the Fountain Guards from LotR...
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,266
    Oh if its lore correct then please leave them without speaking.
  • AnotonyAnotony Registered Users Posts: 175
    I'm hoping, especially when HEs lay siege, they will do a perfectly choreographed version of YMCA when selected, using their halberds to form letters. I think that would make an exquisite accompaniment to HE siege towers, and Star Dragon breath attacks.

Failing that, I guess they could make an easy to recognise metaly/clunky noise when selected?
    Belialxv said:

That being said, I would personally prefer having them be silent like they are in the lore.

Maybe they could like squeek when you click them, you know just to give some kind of feedback? This way everyone would be happy
  • GalenHHHGalenHHH Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,233

How so!?
    edited September 2017
    GalenHHH said:

How so!?
    Because Fountain Guards wear silk masks and don't speak. And I mean technically PH and F is even the same sound phonetically

GalenHHH said:

How so!?
    Because Fountain Guards wear silk masks and don't speak. And I mean technically PH and F is even the same sound phonetically
    Are you talking about the movies?Because honestly the ammount of lore-rape in those would make even Mat ward roll his eyes.
  • AnotonyAnotony Registered Users Posts: 175

Well in that case, the Black Guards of Naggaroth are even more of a rip-off because Malekith copied a copy.

And don't get me started on the blatant rip-off that is Empire Swordsmen, compared to pre/early gunpowder era European infantry.
    Anotony said:

Well in that case, the Black Guards of Naggaroth are even more of a rip-off because Malekith copied a copy.

And don't get me started on the blatant rip-off that is Empire Swordsmen, compared to pre/early gunpowder era European infantry.
    Fantasy always rips-off history, so that is less serious
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,127
    GalenHHH said:

GalenHHH said:

How so!?
    Are you talking about the movies?Because honestly the ammount of lore-rape in those would make even Mat ward roll his eyes.
    it is in the books also IIRC

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,288
    GalenHHH said:

GalenHHH said:

How so!?
    Think only in the movies the Fountain Guards are seen the background not mentioned or talked about just in the background being guards. Heck I even have their Games Workshop models. because I liked their appearance other then just that they were Elite.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

GalenHHH said:

GalenHHH said:

How so!?
    Think only in the movies the Fountain Guards are seen the background not mentioned or talked about just in the background being guards. Heck I even have their Games Workshop models. because I liked their appearance other then just that they were Elite.
    In the books they are still Guardians of the Citadel and those can speak...