Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Recommendation for PC upgrade

Sier881Sier881 Posts: 2Registered Users
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my system a bit before game two drops this week, so I am looking for some feedback.

Here are my current specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz 33 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-27)
Motherboard
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 (CPUSocket) 31 °C
Graphics
2778X ([email protected])
S24B350 ([email protected])
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 38 °C

I'm playing at 1440p with most settings at Ultra, this gets me stable FPS, except when two armies actually clash.

Zooming in on the action brings significantly lower FPS.

I'm thinking of getting an I7 7700k tomorrow as well as 8gb of DDR4 2400MHZ.

My question is if this will actually give a significant FPS increase?

I've found conflicting opinions online about the matter, some people say the CPU is pretty important, others that it's all about the GPU.

Regards.

Comments

• IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,721Registered Users
    edited September 2017
    Most of the time for games GPU is more important for fps and even for Total War games GPU matters but you already have a 1070 though it is paired with a CPU from nearly 3 generations back which is the absolute minimum I'd think about an upgrade with an i7. Usually I tell people to wait for 4-5 generations if they have what was near top of the line i7 when they bought it since the cost of upgrade is almost half of a new system.

7700K is about 30% faster which is pretty big in TW but it will probably be a combination of new mobo, RAM, and CPU that gives the majority of what gains you can achieve.

However to clarify about your current setup- you are running paired monitors with 1 at 2k and the other normal 1080P? Have you tested the graphics options a bit like dropping the 2nd monitor, changing Ultra settings to lower, etc? Normally 2nd monitor only displaying webpage or even streaming some youtube won't be an issue but there are certain things that can cause fps drop. Also just to make sure you have all drivers updated etc?

I would be confident you'll see gains but I'm not sure exactly how much because it won't be a straight +30% but if you'll be satisfied with +10-20% for the amount of money you'll be spending then go for it.

Also while SSD minimally impacts fps it usually hugely lowers loading times into campaign map and into battles and at current prices would offer guaranteed satisfaction while new CPU will give you something but depends what you expect for the money.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • BrakierBrakier Posts: 1,520Registered Users
    edited September 2017
    that ram is sure making a big latency issue on your gpu. what you want to change seems good but try to go for 8x2 2400 - 2600 mhz sticks instead of one. most games requre more then 8 gb ram. even if 8 is on recommended size, its a very easy number to hit. also the i7 7700k and i5 7600k dosent make much diffrence in total war as it uses 4 cores. so if you wanna save some more money get for i5, but if you gonna stream while playing, yes get i7 7700k

• Sier881Sier881 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hi guys,

thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and got a I5 7600k and 16GB of ram.

The game does feel a loot smoother, simply panning the camera feels much better.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers