Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is my performance right... and should I upgrade my rig?

SmellyYetiSmellyYeti Junior MemberPosts: 18Registered Users
Hi all,

I'm looking for the wisdom of you kind folks here on whether or not my hardware is performing as is and therefore if it's worth upgrading my rig in order to play TW:WH & WH2 smooth as butter...

Currently I'm running:
i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz
ASUS Z87 Sabertooth Mobo
ASUS RX 480 Strix
8gb Ram @ 1600
Harddrive Samsung EVO SSD

On my current hardware I don't really get the performance I want. With DX11 on all Ultra settings with blood, DoF and Screen Space Reflections on, I'm getting about 40-50 FPS avg but this drops hard in big battles when huge units collide (to about 20 FPS). DX12 is far more inconsistent and I see even bigger slow downs on battles half the size. I'm not exactly sure what holds it up - as best I can tell my CPU and GPU should handle things much better, but I'll take the advice of those here. GPU never really deploys more than 45% of the VRAM, although it uses all the GPU clock and Memory. Also the CPU doesn't seem to draw on more than 50-60% (it's also spread across the cores - I'm not having the issue of it being all heaped on one core). It seems strange to me that it doesn't seem to be really pulling all the CPU power to handle the large unit clashes in battles.

I'm considering the following upgrade:
i7 8700K (when it comes out)
Asus Z370 Strix mobo
16gb ram @3200
GTX 1080ti

I'm aware the new rig I'm considering would be about as good as it gets. What I'm hoping people here can advise of is if I'd get the gains I'm hoping for? I'm really aiming for a situation where I don't see drops below 30-40 FPS, even in large battles with everything maxed out.

I can post pics of GPU Tweak II and CPUZ while it's under load if it helps people. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Yeti
"Alea Iacta Est" - "The Die is Cast" (Julius Caesar, on crossing the Rubicon)

Comments

• DarthMarkoDarthMarko Posts: 18Registered Users
    Dude, you don't have a CPU + GPU which can run this game without drops. I have a 1080ti and 6700k OC-ed at 4,8 Ghz. Drops are like constant and totally gaking my gameplay. Don't think 8700k will make much difference, but we will see.
  • MrwaylayMrwaylay Posts: 128Registered Users
    Guys, I just drastically improved my performance by going from 8 -> 16gb RAM, and also by changing the games affinity via task manager. It's not flawless, but it's a huge improvement in what I had before. I can now scroll both on the campaign map and in battle without any stuttering / FPS drops!
  • WagaaWagaa Posts: 36Registered Users
    Mrwaylay said:

Guys, I just drastically improved my performance by going from 8 -> 16gb RAM, and also by changing the games affinity via task manager. It's not flawless, but it's a huge improvement in what I had before. I can now scroll both on the campaign map and in battle without any stuttering / FPS drops!

Great idea! I never tried changing the affinity in task manager.
  • WagaaWagaa Posts: 36Registered Users
    Pretty sad we have had to try and figure out how to optimize THEIR game on our own. I figured that was CA's job.
  • MrwaylayMrwaylay Posts: 128Registered Users
    Aye, it's not ideal, but it seems to be working. I'm still get a few stutters when there's lots of armies on the map / during siege battles, but I'd say performance is back to how it was before Beastmen for me.
  • SovereignthroneSovereignthrone Posts: 7Registered Users

RAM upgrade would be the first thing I'd try, too :)
  • QinshiQinshi Posts: 209Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    @SmellyYeti:
    1) Buy another 8gb ram. 16gb ram is what you need.
    The game itselfs consumes at least 6gb ram when you play it.
    And mostly windows need another 2-4gb ram.

2) Buy a better GPU?
    You can still buy gtx 1080ti and plug it in.
    You'll get massive increase in fps.
    Also, dont play with 'huge' army composition.
    Just play on large/medium.

My Intel i7 7700k is only 50% loaded when i play this game in windowed mode.
    Buying a i7 8700k: Its not even gonna be 60% loaded when you play this game.

3) change the AA, downgrade some shady graphical settings.
    like FOG, water, ... It all will increase the fps but you'll barely (if not ) see any diverance on the battlefield.

its all about GPU and a decent i7 CPU.

This game need seriously some performance patches.