Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War | 1440p | DX12 AMD - Nvidia | Screen

EaglePhoenixEaglePhoenix Senior MemberPosts: 1,268Registered Users
edited October 2017 in Technology
Currently I am playing on an i5-3570K + R9 380 4G 1080p Screen
With DirectX 12 (DX12) I seem to be running latest Warhammer titles pretty smoothly. Although FPS counter appears to be fairly low, the ingame actual experience is smooth on "high" settings.

However, I'd like to upgrade the screen to a 1440p one. For this, the R9 380 4G card will struggle and thus I need to upgrade to play on similar or higher settings. I don't want to break the bank, though..

What are your recommendations?

I am thinking:
- Nvidia 1070 8GB: but will it run smoothly on DX12 ? Are there any issues with this card and TW titles (recent)? 440 EUR
- AMD RX 580 8GB: will it handle 1440p gaming, considering DX12? 370 EUR
- ???

What about Freesync/G-sync? Should I rather go for an ultrawide (curved) 21:9 screen such as: Acer XZ350CU Black 35" 21:9 Ultra-wide Curved Monitor, FreeSync 144 Hz 4ms 2560 x 1080 - for which I'd better go with AMD?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Useful info: MOBO is Asrock Extreme 4 Z77.

Thanks in advance.

P.s.: considering my pleasant surprise on the R9 380 4G performance on DX12 regardless of stats, I'm not so much interested in FPS numbers as I am in actual gameplay experience.
Team Empire!..and also tiny lil bit VC - but shhh
Post edited by EaglePhoenix on

Comments

• IchonIchon Senior Member Posts: 4,721Registered Users
    The 1070 is simply a much faster card and could handle 1440P in most games- a few might push it but overall I know many people who game at 1440P with 1070 quite happily.

If the price of the 580 was lower I might still recommend it but it is only 15% less than 1070 in the prices you gave while the performance gap is more like 20-30% slower so it is not as good a value at those prices and while 580 can do 1440P gaming I think you would have to lower settings in quite a few games though it still gets good results in certain games so while it is a slower card, drivers do make a difference and it might not actually be 20% slower but you'd be relying on AMD and developers to unlock its full potential.

For TW games I am not a fan of Ultrawide monitors. Those work really well in driving games and adventure games but for shooters and rts style games too much stuff going on barely in peripheral vision that becomes easy to miss.

For the actual gameplay experience... more difficult to judge as I only know a single person with a 580 and they aren't using it at 1440P.

The 580 might become more competitive in pricing when you consider a Freesync monitor so if you can get monitor + 580 more than 25% less than 1070 and G-sync monitor that could be good value.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • EaglePhoenixEaglePhoenix Senior Member Posts: 1,268Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    Thank you very much for your insight. Much appreciated. These are some of the combinations that I can think of although 1000 EUR is really stretching it.

AMD
    Samsung C27H711 27" WQHD 2K 2560 x 1440 FreeSync (404.5 EUR) + RX 580 (369 EUR) = 773.5 EUR

Or same card + Acer Predator XG270HUomidpx Freesync 499 EUR (+369) = 868 EUR

Nvidia
    1070 8G will cost me 441 EUR
    1080 basic will be 523 EUR.

Combined with maybe AOC AGON AG241QG - WQHD G-Sync monitor 499

= 940 à 1022

Or I could combine either Nvidia with the Samsung monitor (but is freesync ..)

I don't really play (competitive) FPS games or MOBA's (such as LoL).
    Team Empire!..and also tiny lil bit VC - but shhh