Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I'll bet Araby and even Cathay are released because this game is very non-diverse

for_bretonniafor_bretonnia Posts: 1,616Registered Users
the Games Whiteshop universe is super white (even the elves lol) and Creative Assembly will probably jump at the chance to be able to include some people of color in their game, as it might help them sell a few more copies

Comments

• NemoxNemox Posts: 2,478Registered Users
    Nothing to see here folks, just another bait in the lake.
  • sarin555sarin555 Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    Obvious troll tread, flag this.
  • for_bretonniafor_bretonnia Posts: 1,616Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    Nemox said:

Nothing to see here folks, just another bait in the lake.

inb4 some insane person tries to insinuate that this is a very left wing thread when really it basically is moderate.

But there are some crazy people on the internet, and I fully expect some goblins to come in here and act like "SJWs" are ruining their lives
  • MooncakeMooncake Posts: 495Registered Users
    I don't see how a thread like this could ever enter the realm of constructive conversation.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    Getting Araby and Cathey in the game has nothing to do with race or skin color. :expressionless:

It's more to do with bringing races that were in the shadow of the races with armybooks to life.
    As Araby and Cathey does add to the diversity, but racial bias is not the the reason to bring them to life.
    Mooncake said:

I don't see how a thread like this could ever enter the realm of constructive conversation.

what exactly are your issues with the thread?
    sarin555 said:

Obvious troll tread, flag this.

on what grounds.

It's understandable that CA would want a slightly more diverse product, as again, it would probably help them with sales.

if anything about that offends you, I'm terribly sorry, but you have some issues and I can't solve all of them for you right now.
    edited October 2017

Mooncake said:

What is there to discuss here? All I can see is this devolving in to some sort of political debate, and if you aren't dense then you knew that when you created it too.

I think Araby should be added not to promote diversity but because I think they would add an interesting dynamic to that region of the campaign map.
    Mooncake said:

Mooncake said:

What is there to discuss here? All I can see is this devolving in to some sort of political debate, and if you aren't dense then you knew that when you created it too.

I think Araby should be added not to promote diversity but because I think they would add an interesting dynamic to that region of the campaign map.
    "promoting diversity" doesn't have to be the primary reason for an Araby release, but CA are in business, and no doubt they are aware that having characters of differing appearances would help them, as a business.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Posts: 4,780Registered Users
    Sorry but Diversity is not a good reason.

But at least we got the thread on the other side of the spectrum after Equix's racist Araby thread.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• sarin555sarin555 Posts: 153Registered Users

if anything about that offends you, I'm terribly sorry, but you have some issues and I can't solve all of them for you right now.

Did you really just assume I had some kind of serious issue because I just tell you this is troll thread? My teacher always said, "When you assume, you're making an ASS of U and ME."

Maybe it isn't an intentional troll thread, but whenever argument of races are brought up on the internet it is almost always meant that A. People will disagree to the extreme, which lead to B. everyone made personal attack on each other identity that will lead to C. Thread dissolve into useless pile of toxic garbage with no valid argument and everyone just ass-pulled whatever they learnt in college long ago that could be bend by the professor that teach it to try and preserve their own unstable self-identity, which includes race and culture they came from.

This isn't even taking into account of the real troll.

If you want a real debate then go to one of the real debate site, not on a game forum.
  • lucibuislucibuis Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    i agree, but at least orcs are green...

But at least we got the thread on the other side of the spectrum after Equix's racist Araby thread.

It is a good reason if you're in business.

Surely there must be some Persion/Arab/insert middle eastern ethnicity fans of the game and the series.

Anyone who is in business knows that a diverse looking product can only be useful for sales.

It doesn't have to be the "primary reason" for anything, but to act like it doesn't factor in is just not realistic
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 9,917Registered Users
    lucibuis said:

Your profile picture is literally a tree-man and you agree the game isn't diverse? Lol.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
    Focus groups are not exactly known for their positive impact on the gaming industry.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Posts: 4,780Registered Users

It is a good reason if you're in business.

Surely there must be some Persion/Arab/insert middle eastern ethnicity fans of the game and the series.

Anyone who is in business knows that a diverse looking product can only be useful for sales.

It doesn't have to be the "primary reason" for anything, but to act like it doesn't factor in is just not realistic
    Except your OP is talking about Skin colour diversity being a primary reason WHICH wouldn't help sales in a fantasy game like why play faction A because of their skin colour when I can play faction B and have enuf Dakka or Faction C because with the Winged Hussers arrived to turn the tide.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• NemoxNemox Posts: 2,478Registered Users
    The problem is this thread is making a lot of assumptions and offering no discussion. It's an invitation to argue on the forums until a mod comes over and closes it.

Standard flamebait thread.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    Beyond racial bias I think Araby and Cathey would help the game sell more copies. They are factions without army books and them suddenly being brought up in total war, where the only chance to see them is in this series will be a good selling point. Just as Norsca was seen as a good thing for Warahmmer and total war. Norsca was brought to life, whereas the table top didn't have Norsca.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,487Registered Users

the Games Whiteshop universe is super white (even the elves lol) and Creative Assembly will probably jump at the chance to be able to include some people of color in their game, as it might help them sell a few more copies

"Even the elves" dude, there is no reason for elves of other colors. They didn`t evolve on different areas of the planet, they have been engineered by the "old ones" and they live forever. Evolution never made them different races.

The Empire and Bretonnia are medieval and later versions of europe, when they didn`t have non-whites there except for merchants or mercenaries, similar to Westeros in games of thrones.

Dwarves live underground and while there are different dwarves... there was also never a reason for them to evolve differently like that.

Diversity does not just "poof" out of nothing, there are evolutionary reasons for it.
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 1,862Registered Users
    WE

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!

all politics is identity politics.

"Even the elves" dude, there is no reason for elves of other colors. They didn`t evolve on different areas of the planet, they have been engineered by the "old ones" and they live forever. Evolution never made them different races.

The Empire and Bretonnia are medieval and later versions of europe, when they didn`t have non-whites there except for merchants or mercenaries, similar to Westeros in games of thrones.

Dwarves live underground and while there are different dwarves... there was also never a reason for them to evolve differently like that.

Diversity does not just "poof" out of nothing, there are evolutionary reasons for it.
    people in hot regions near the equator tend to have darker skin for protection from the sun, and longer limbs because longer limbs maximizes surface area for heat escape.

anything else?
  • IntertriarriiaeIntertriarriiae Posts: 385Registered Users
    Blue people weren't enough?
    Just tossing in my 2 heresies every once in a while.
  • lucibuislucibuis Posts: 2,409Registered Users

lucibuis said:

Your profile picture is literally a tree-man and you agree the game isn't diverse? Lol.
    Is a treeman a human? Is he minority?
  • IconicIconic Posts: 366Registered Users

Its a fantasy setting with Orcs and dragons. There's no reason why elves couldn't have as many skin tones as Humans.
  • tgoodenowtgoodenow Senior Member Posts: 774Registered Users
    Enforest said:

WE

They should include egypt cuz egyptians wuz black

am i rite
  • SephirexSephirex Right outside your windowPosts: 1,028Registered Users
    Very disappointed by the lack of star-bellied sneetches in Warhammer.
  • BrakierBrakier Posts: 1,520Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    @for_bretonnia

I can understand your reasoning fully of this, but you need to understand how wierd it looks to talking about skin color on a game forum for a game wich has orcs and lizards.

Im not a racist and have never been, but i feel its kinda the wrong forum to talk about skin color content impact on diffrent areas around the world. when then you talk about adding araby as a dlc/flc, i think about the warhammer world araby, nothing ill about any middle easten nation intened, but you should not confuse fiction whit reality.

and to your question even thou i shouldnt answer it, i think all content create sales, and ye i think they would have like it. but i would like it equally as much, so again, this question you had isent really suited here.

• SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,487Registered Users
    Iconic said:

Its a fantasy setting with Orcs and dragons. There's no reason why elves couldn't have as many skin tones as Humans.
    Yes, there is a reason. Its called "world building" and "trying to be consistent".

The elves live way too long, have way too few offsprings and didn`t evolve but were engineered by the freaking old ones. For "diversity" to manifest, there would need to be a reason for it. The elves do not have the requirements to evolve differently.

The whole reason WHY the elves are failing is BECAUSE they do not adapt to the world, thus the lack of diversity makes sense for them.

In Warcraft, the High and Night Elves have different skin color..... for a reason. One lives at night and in the wilderness with nature, the other lives at day, focusses much more on the arcane and luxury.

The different major tribes of trolls evolved because of their surroundings..... same with dwarves.

You want to enforce an ideological agenda into something even when it makes no sense.
    Thats idiotic.
  • IconicIconic Posts: 366Registered Users
    They're white because who ever wrote them chose to make the white. They could have been any colour from the start as there is no reason for white to be the default.
This discussion has been closed.