Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I'll bet Araby and even Cathay are released because this game is very non-diverse

2»

Comments

• SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,413Registered Users
    edited October 2017

people in hot regions near the equator tend to have darker skin for protection from the sun, and longer limbs because longer limbs maximizes surface area for heat escape.

anything else?

For **** sake, COULD YOU PLEASE LOOK UP THE LORE???

1. Elves live way to long and have few children, thus their evolutionary process IF THEY HAVE ONE!!! (they are engineered after all...who says they arent engineered to evolve in the first place?), would be a fraction of human`s.

2. High Elves in particular just change their environment to such a strong degree, that it barely matters.

They cannot develop dark skin, because there is no natural selection going on based upon those factors....unlike humans who do not have the same capacities.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,413Registered Users
    edited October 2017
  • IconicIconic Posts: 317Registered Users
    Why didn't the Old Ones make them blue or green or brown?
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 1,682Registered Users
    Iconic said:

Why didn't the Old Ones make them blue or green or brown?

Because Orks are green and Lizardmen are blue.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • asveronasveron Posts: 77Registered Users
    They should make sure that they include the faction called Formosa as people who left Cathay after the Monkey King was chosen as the Emperor. They basically enslave all the orcs on the island and are like the Dark Elves of Cathay. Later, though the orcs are granted democratic freedom and integrated into the society. While there are some turmoil between the humans and orcs on the island, they get along and become a single faction.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 5,488Registered Users
    lucibuis said:

i agree, but at least orcs are green...

GREEN IS BEST!!!!!!!!!!
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 12,118Registered Users
    Depending on how they're implemented these factions could either be awesome, or cliche to the point of offense. Araby for example has a leader named after a questionable Disney film, and flying carpets that throw jars of deadly animals. If CA were to movie beyond the cliche and add substance Araby has a lot of potential, the same applies to Cathay.

As to the actual topic GW's lore is questionable in some areas -Looking at you dark elves- but to say it lacks diversity? That is undeniably true, does it matter though? I think not. I'd prefer more diversity, but the game, and the lore aren't really affected negatively by it.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • for_bretonniafor_bretonnia Posts: 1,616Registered Users

people in hot regions near the equator tend to have darker skin for protection from the sun, and longer limbs because longer limbs maximizes surface area for heat escape.

anything else?

1. Elves live way to long and have few children, thus their evolutionary process IF THEY HAVE ONE!!! (they are engineered after all...who says they arent engineered to evolve in the first place?), would be a fraction of human`s.

2. High Elves in particular just change their environment to such a strong degree, that it barely matters.

They cannot develop dark skin, because there is no natural selection going on based upon those factors....unlike humans who do not have the same capacities.

elves are white because elves are typically written to be white, in stories that are typically written by white people.

That's the reason the lore is the way it is.

Great argument though. No one is calling for elves to become ethnically diverse, btw. The only argument is that Araby probably will be included, and it's possible that even Cathay will, in part because they represent diversity in a fictional world that tends to lack it (among humans)
  • Henta1Lettuc3Henta1Lettuc3 Posts: 76Registered Users
    That moment when your tumblr diversity post slows down so you make a diversity post on a game forum.

X D solid meme.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 12,118Registered Users

anything else?

elves are white because elves are typically written to be white, in stories that are typically written by white people.

That's the reason the lore is the way it is.

Great argument though. No one is calling for elves to become ethnically diverse, btw. The only argument is that Araby probably will be included, and it's possible that even Cathay will, in part because they represent diversity in a fictional world that tends to lack it (among humans)
    This is a wholly reasonable argument.

I'm disappointed at the reaction of the forum to what is essentially basic common sense.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Posts: 1,756Registered Users
    Good possibility of seeing these factions though not for ethnic diversity. But simply so that more can be included in the game as a whole. the more unique races battling for the fate of the world the better.
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • NemoxNemox Posts: 2,281Registered Users
    You're making assumptions that races need to be added to fantasy purely because diversity = sales.

There is nothing to suggest CA will make that call based on that factor. Araby should be added because their homeland is currently in Game 2 in the hands of Crusaders. It would be surprising and utterly disappointing if we never saw them. People complained about Norsca being bland and CA knocked that criticism out of the park. With Araby? Damn, the sky is the limit with what CA could do.

I want to see more factions in the long run, and for CA I'd prefer they tackle Cathay, Nippon and Ind with the intention of doing them justice, rather than for cheap sales in the Asian markets or to run appeasement to groups who couldn't care less about making good games.
  • bjarkedbjarked Senior Member Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    Moderators should close down this thread before it ends in a **** storm.
    Adding diversity in a game for diversity sake is a political discussion and goes against the terms and conditions.
    Having a discussion why you would like to see these factions personally is fine, but this will only lead to flame wars.
    Nemox said:

You're making assumptions that races need to be added to fantasy purely because diversity = sales.

There is nothing to suggest CA will make that call based on that factor. Araby should be added because their homeland is currently in Game 2 in the hands of Crusaders. It would be surprising and utterly disappointing if we never saw them. People complained about Norsca being bland and CA knocked that criticism out of the park. With Araby? Damn, the sky is the limit with what CA could do.

I want to see more factions in the long run, and for CA I'd prefer they tackle Cathay, Nippon and Ind with the intention of doing them justice, rather than for cheap sales in the Asian markets or to run appeasement to groups who couldn't care less about making good games.

sales always factors in. You say CA should include these factions in order to have a better, more fleshed out game, rather than to boost sales.

The reality is they will likely include one or more of the aforementioned to do both. Semantics.
  • Henta1Lettuc3Henta1Lettuc3 Posts: 76Registered Users
    bjarked said:

Adding diversity in a game for diversity sake is a political discussion and goes against the terms and conditions.
    Having a discussion why you would like to see these factions personally is fine, but this will only lead to flame wars.

I agree, though if they do I think we will just see people creating more forums discussions on how they got shut down for trying to save the world through diversity in video games.

bjarked said:

I agree, though if they do I think we will just see people creating more forums discussions on how they got shut down for trying to save the world through diversity in video games.
    no one is trying to save the world here.

What we have is a group of people who are somehow offended by the suggestion that diversity would play ANY part (even a small one) in how a studio develops games.

I'm sorry, but that's just sad, and this shouldn't be off the table for discussion.
  • SaurianDruidSaurianDruid Posts: 724Registered Users
    I don't think different skin colors really effect war games in terms of sales the way you're saying they do. This isn't an RPG where you are immersing yourself in a character, you're immersing yourself in a faction within a world. What matters is that the faction plays and feels like the faction you are playing and how unique it is in comparison to other factions in the world.

I highly doubt anyone would play Araby just because they are a different skin color. They'd play it because they like the Arabian Nights theme or the more cavalry and skirmish focused human armies. Or even just the game mechanics that go with it. Diversity of content rather than diversity of skin tone.
2»
This discussion has been closed.