Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Tomb Princess

Comments

• ladymissfitladymissfit Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,765
    I love it! I do hope we get Tomb Queens and Tomb Princesses.
    Chaos lords should be women

Why is no one talking about mouth feel!?
  • TheOrganKingTheOrganKing Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 990

Tayvar said:

Even if Khemrian society not out right forbid military roles for women like the Empire and Bretonnia, it still don't means that it was common, just like modern societies it's not common. In Norsca it's technically possible as well, and there is Valkia, but it's not common enough to to justify generic female lords for Norsca. Because of natural reasons there are much more men who take part in those things then women. Generic female lords make more sense for elves then humans. Also Historical Ancient Egypt had female Pharaohs like Hatshepsut, but it was not that common. Also Hatshepsut needed to use a fake beard to strengthen her image in the egyptian society, and Neferata get an similar look in the End Times.

Bare in mind that Nehekhara is a land of undead. Even if female warriors were rare when they were alive, and we don't really have lore that states they were as far as I can tell, the women who have since been raised as undead royalty and nobles no longer have any reason not to take up arms. They can't bare children, after all. Marriage is kind of pointless.

Thus female skeletons taking up a warrior vocation makes perfect sense. Being skilled in the art of war is the only way to really take and hold power in a society where everyone is immortal and don't experience the needs of the living.
    On one hand, The Army book likes to repeat the fact that most of the TK tried to return to what they did in life. So if Females weren't part of the Nehekharan Armies before hand, they likely aren't now. On the other hand, and More importantly, with the exception of Khalida most female TK seem to have dropped off the face of the Planet. GW's largely went with the simple excuse of; They're all skeletons now, their gender doesn't matter. And that is the Approach I largely expect CA to follow through with as well.
    "Chaos strong. Gors strong. Humans, Elves, Dwarf — weak. We win. We fight, we kill, one day we win. One day soon. You — if you lucky, we eat you, make you into part of us, make you better than you, stronger than any of you, stronger than all of you. Once this arm weak, like you. I eat many of your kind, now I strong."
    —Karzog, Beastigor Charioteer.
  • SaurianDruidSaurianDruid Registered Users Posts: 1,115

On one hand, The Army book likes to repeat the fact that most of the TK tried to return to what they did in life. So if Females weren't part of the Nehekharan Armies before hand, they likely aren't now. On the other hand, and More importantly, with the exception of Khalida most female TK seem to have dropped off the face of the Planet. GW's largely went with the simple excuse of; They're all skeletons now, their gender doesn't matter. And that is the Approach I largely expect CA to follow through with as well.

True. It'd be really, really hard to tell a Tomb Queen a part from a Tomb King outside what they are wearing. Though one could argue it's easier to do that with a tabletop model than with a computer game where voice acting is a thing. It's a lot harder to pretend your model represents a female when it has a gruff baritone voice.
  • uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    As noted by a few people, both her chest and face are covered in metal, it was indeed easier to make her stand out. I could have gone for a more mummyfied look, but those aren't real dried mummies, they are powerful reanimated characters after all! Their faces are usually the most damaged by their time as corpse.

In my deviant art post I delved a bit on the possible background for such a figure. Some princesses were allowed to hunt but in rare cases, they would step up for dead or dishonored brothers. If they died in their prime they would have been buried in the same way as a prince.

• Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 5,869
    Tayvar said:

Well historical pharaohs didn't used magic as far as I know, and magic is also type of range skill.

I'm quite sure Akhenaton did.
  • CA_WhelanCA_Whelan Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 681
    Lovely art Uriak
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,559
    edited October 2017
    I prefer to see the official Lords first before another variant.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,081

Tayvar said:

Even if Khemrian society not out right forbid military roles for women like the Empire and Bretonnia, it still don't means that it was common, just like modern societies it's not common. In Norsca it's technically possible as well, and there is Valkia, but it's not common enough to to justify generic female lords for Norsca. Because of natural reasons there are much more men who take part in those things then women. Generic female lords make more sense for elves then humans. Also Historical Ancient Egypt had female Pharaohs like Hatshepsut, but it was not that common. Also Hatshepsut needed to use a fake beard to strengthen her image in the egyptian society, and Neferata get an similar look in the End Times.

Bare in mind that Nehekhara is a land of undead. Even if female warriors were rare when they were alive, and we don't really have lore that states they were as far as I can tell, the women who have since been raised as undead royalty and nobles no longer have any reason not to take up arms. They can't bare children, after all. Marriage is kind of pointless.

Thus female skeletons taking up a warrior vocation makes perfect sense. Being skilled in the art of war is the only way to really take and hold power in a society where everyone is immortal and don't experience the needs of the living.
    They are Undead now, but unlike Vampires, the Tomb Kings don't add new members to their ranks, and everything that they have had stayed relatively similar to when they were alive.
  • Grace_CAGrace_CA Creative Assembly Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 898
    edited October 2017
    uriak said:

After the Ironbreaker I decided to explore a yet not featured faction.

Hence my Tomb princess.

I knew there weren't princesses in the army list, but I was surprised to find no bow or ranged weapon available to the characters. Since the pharaohs were so often depicted as raining arrows from their chariot, I went for this.

I think I'l go with an arabian artwork next, but I'm still looking for an idea ^^

I love this! Super cool! I can't stop looking at it - honestly I'm obsessed, this is wonderful
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,295
    Grace_CA said:

uriak said:

After the Ironbreaker I decided to explore a yet not featured faction.

Hence my Tomb princess.

I knew there weren't princesses in the army list, but I was surprised to find no bow or ranged weapon available to the characters. Since the pharaohs were so often depicted as raining arrows from their chariot, I went for this.

I think I'l go with an arabian artwork next, but I'm still looking for an idea ^^

I love this! Super cool! I can't stop looking at it - honestly I'm obsessed, this is wonderful
    Grace, slip some monopoly money to the designers of the Tomb Kings DLC, make the Tomb Queen a reality.
    Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

They are Undead now, but unlike Vampires, the Tomb Kings don't add new members to their ranks, and everything that they have had stayed relatively similar to when they were alive.
    I never got the strength argument in WHFB. This is the same universe where Empire Greatswords are described as being able to cleave men in full-plate armor in half. Strength is clearly different from our own world, and it is more of a culture thing than anything else why women are generally(with a few exceptions, which is already quite a departure from our own world) not "supposed" to be warriors in most human societies.
    Krunch said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

I never got the strength argument in WHFB. This is the same universe where Empire Greatswords are described as being able to cleave men in full-plate armor in half. Strength is clearly different from our own world, and it is more of a culture thing than anything else why women are generally(with a few exceptions, which is already quite a departure from our own world) not "supposed" to be warriors in most human societies.
    It's also the same universe where the most powerful beings in the armies tend to be huge, so Warhammer Fantasy usually don't follow the 'muscles are meaningless' trope, also Warhammer Fantasy usually keep his human factions quite close to their historical counterpart. Also natural reasons don't mean only physical reasons, but also personality, most women don't like fighting. And by the way what you said now, have nothing to do with my last comment.
    Tayvar said:

Krunch said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

It's also the same universe where the most powerful beings in the armies tend to be huge, so Warhammer Fantasy usually don't follow the 'muscles are meaningless' trope, also Warhammer Fantasy usually keep his human factions quite close to their historical counterpart. Also natural reasons don't mean only physical reasons, but also personality, most women don't like fighting. And by the way what you said now, have nothing to do with my last comment.
    Most men don't like fighting either. The vast majority in fact. During WW2, when training to break and then rebuild men wasn't a thing yet(which has lead to major problems as I am sure you know when our boys return home) only 25% of soldiers actually fired in the vague direction of the enemy and only 2% of soldiers were capable of actually shooting directly at the enemy to kill.
    Krunch said:

Tayvar said:

Krunch said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Most men don't like fighting either. The vast majority in fact. During WW2, when training to break and then rebuild men wasn't a thing yet(which has lead to major problems as I am sure you know when our boys return home) only 25% of soldiers actually fired in the vague direction of the enemy and only 2% of soldiers were capable of actually shooting directly at the enemy to kill.
    Most men do like it, especially in a hobbies, and the vast majority of soldiers are men.
    Tayvar said:

Krunch said:

Tayvar said:

Krunch said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

Most men do like it, especially in a hobbies, and the vast majority of soldiers are men.
    There is quite a difference between a boxing match and killing another. Even in defense of your own. Look at my numbers for example. Those numbers are staggering.

Also, you can't compare modern soldiers to the Warhammer soldier. Modern soldiers are broken and rebuilt by the military in order to get them to maximum combat effectiveness(with disastrous effects once they come home). I doubt such practice is employed in Warhammer. Of course, things get different once you have a melee weapon, at that time you have to defend yourself and are more likely to kill, especially when fighting something that isn't human but my point still stands that most men don't like to fight to actually kill.
    Krunch said:

Tayvar said:

Krunch said:

Tayvar said:

Krunch said:

Tayvar said:

Tayvar said:

There is quite a difference between a boxing match and killing another. Even in defense of your own. Look at my numbers for example. Those numbers are staggering.

Also, you can't compare modern soldiers to the Warhammer soldier. Modern soldiers are broken and rebuilt by the military in order to get them to maximum combat effectiveness(with disastrous effects once they come home). I doubt such practice is employed in Warhammer. Of course, things get different once you have a melee weapon, at that time you have to defend yourself and are more likely to kill, especially when fighting something that isn't human but my point still stands that most men don't like to fight to actually kill.
    It didn't matter, and if doing it is not so easy even man, then it's even more harder for a woman.
  • Jasonco2Jasonco2 Registered Users Posts: 17
    There are at least three known Queens as far as I count: Neferata, Khalida, and Rasut, queens of Lahmia, Lybaras and Nehekhara (same position as Settra). The fact that Rasut wasn't immediately kicked off the throne for being woman, and that no one questioned Khalida or Neferata's rule, should tell you something about the existence of female Tomb "Kings". Which is to say, we have every reason to believe they exists; because they did.
    Jasonco2 said:

There are at least three known Queens as far as I count: Neferata, Khalida, and Rasut, queens of Lahmia, Lybaras and Nehekhara (same position as Settra). The fact that Rasut wasn't immediately kicked off the throne for being woman, and that no one questioned Khalida or Neferata's rule, should tell you something about the existence of female Tomb "Kings". Which is to say, we have every reason to believe they exists; because they did.

Existed don't equals common, Norsca had Valkia as well, before she was resurrected as a Daemon.
  • Jasonco2Jasonco2 Registered Users Posts: 17
    Tayvar said:

Jasonco2 said:

Existed don't equals common, Norsca had Valkia as well, before she was resurrected as a Daemon.
    "Common" is a rather tricky word. I shouldn't really be able to field armies of Dragons, yet the game lets us do that anyway. The fact of the matter is that they existed, common or otherwise, and could very well be included in the game.
    Jasonco2 said:

Tayvar said:

Jasonco2 said:

"Common" is a rather tricky word. I shouldn't really be able to field armies of Dragons, yet the game lets us do that anyway. The fact of the matter is that they existed, common or otherwise, and could very well be included in the game.
    On the other hand, all Norscan models are male in Total War and the Tabletop.
  • BigD2016BigD2016 Registered Users Posts: 166
    Wow, that's really well done actually. Props
    @CA_Whelan : thanks!

@Grace_CA : glad you like it so much :)

A propro the debate, I picked something a bit original. More than the absence of female lords for the TK, I was mostly surprised they wouldn't have any ranged options. This would make sense in the TT, but it's part of the iconic representation of egyptian nobility in warfare, mounting a chariot and using their bows.

That said, it would be nice to have fewer, but existing female lord/heroes for the faction, in the same way a White Lion Lord exists in the case of the high elves. After all, some of their best known characters were queens. (And evidently a few egyptians queens are quite well known too)
  • cat59cat59 Registered Users Posts: 467
    Tayvar said:

Jasonco2 said:

Tayvar said:

Jasonco2 said:

On the other hand, all Norscan models are male in Total War and the Tabletop.
    Yes, and all units of Wood Elves are mono-gendered, yet in the lore they can't discriminate between genders, because of their low numbers. (Aside from like, two units/orders)

Please stop this nonsense about 'realism' and what's 'common', especially when talking about a group of people who are literally dead, and got re-animated by some means or another. I think realism isn't applicable, and I'm finding it quite tiresome to see people constantly bringing it up.

Wonderful art, person who did that, though I might prefer the character to be renamed to something like 'Priestess of the Asp', or something along those lines.
  • Carl_BarCarl_Bar Registered Users Posts: 500
    uriak said:

@CA_Whelan : thanks!

@Grace_CA : glad you like it so much :)

A propro the debate, I picked something a bit original. More than the absence of female lords for the TK, I was mostly surprised they wouldn't have any ranged options. This would make sense in the TT, but it's part of the iconic representation of egyptian nobility in warfare, mounting a chariot and using their bows.

That said, it would be nice to have fewer, but existing female lord/heroes for the faction, in the same way a White Lion Lord exists in the case of the high elves. After all, some of their best known characters were queens. (And evidently a few egyptians queens are quite well known too)

As noted TK do have ranged units. The undead we have in game in Khemri in the Vortex Campaign right now are NOT Tomb Kings. They're Vampire Counts.
    I meant ranged option for characters. They don't have bows or ranged magical weapons, even for the archer leading Khalida.

• FifthOfSpaghettiFifthOfSpaghetti Registered Users Posts: 1,630
    I hadn’t read the bit about this being original art Uriak ! I retract my criticism earlier in the thread and would like to say well done! You’re a very good artist!
    uriak said:

I meant ranged option for characters. They don't have bows or ranged magical weapons, even for the archer leading Khalida.

Now that's more correct, but then again magic fills an similar role to an bow.
  • cat59cat59 Registered Users Posts: 467
    Tayvar said:

uriak said:

Now that's more correct, but then again magic fills an similar role to an bow.
    Actually, I could argue that it does not. From what I understand of magic in the Warhammer universe, any spell *could* backfire and harm/kill the caster, meanwhile you can't shoot an arrow backwards from a bow and harm yourself with it. (Unless you're just *that* bad) In game? You can cast spells at range, yeah, but the amount of spells you can cast are much more limited than arrows for a High Elf Princess, for example, and many spells are only useful in specific situations/against specific targets, while many other spells buff your units, and/or heal them, taking away from your potential damage with spellcasting, meanwhile Lords/Heroes with ranged weapons are usually for single entities or very high priority targets.
    I've fixed a few issues with her hands in this new version,

(The DA link is still valid)

And the thing with bows is that this is a kind of well known depiction of pharaohs

And since it was one of the few army with a special bow rule I wanted to capture a bit of it. (though I kept the weapon itself a bit plain, instead of something otherworldy)
  • GalenHHHGalenHHH Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,233
    Thats heresy!!!But the good king of heresy!Good job @uriak !
    Also to add to the debate regarding existing "queens" Neferata was rulling through a puppet(her husband iirc) so her being an actual queen is debatable.Khalida was legit though.
    With that being said while it would be fun to have the option of tomb queens/princeses i doubt it will happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file