Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

PFM questions

ratatack906ratatack906 Posts: 4Registered Users
Hello Everyone,

Let me start by saying I'm new to the TW forums so if this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize in advance.

I've recently installed PFM 5.0 to try my hand at modding. After opening the db pack and selecting the faction_uniform_colors table I'm given the following error:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit the application will close immediately

Object Reference not set to an instance of an object.

End

I'm on Windows 10 if that helps. I'm just looking to mess with faction uniforms to start with and try some other stuff later.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• IntertriarriiaeIntertriarriiae Posts: 199Registered Users
    Have you downloaded the latest pfm schema too?
  • ratatack906ratatack906 Posts: 4Registered Users

Have you downloaded the latest pfm schema too?

No i have not. Pretty new at this whole thing. How do I go about that?
  • signptzsignptz Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hello!
    I have a question, or rather the desire developers. Add to the series of historical games various Finno-Ugric peoples.
    For example, Estonians, Karelians, Merja, Komi, Udmurts, Murom, Mordvins and etc.

If I made a mistake with the theme (still mastering the forum), give a link, where it is better to write.
    edited October 12
    signptz said:

Hello!
    I have a question, or rather the desire developers. Add to the series of historical games various Finno-Ugric peoples.
    For example, Estonians, Karelians, Merja, Komi, Udmurts, Murom, Mordvins and etc.

If I made a mistake with the theme (still mastering the forum), give a link, where it is better to write.

Might want to start with your own post.

Just realised that might have sounded pretty rude. Not intentional.
    Post edited by ratatack906 on
  • HarkhanamHarkhanam Posts: 126Registered Users
    My workflow for modding :

I have the tool kit (steam / tools / total war warhammer 2 toolkit)
    right click -> start "Dave".
    You might want to install it in the same directory as the game itself.

Dave allows you to change the value of the DB to produce altered xml files. Going for the "export changes to binaries" allow you to only export modified files. It's the most user friendly tool you'll have to work, it contains many functions (search the whole DB for terms, opening up table, highlighted modification, schema to track down the use of values through different tables ,etc)

Those files needs to be inserted into a .pack file. This is BOB's work.
    BOB can be found in the directory of the official toolkit installed with Dave.
    it's in the binaries folder, (BOB.modderX64.exe or something)

run BOB, click on the right most "mod" (Retail data/mod.pack) thing to check the box. press start. You now have a brand new "mod.pack"file in the toolkit directory "retails" that contains the modified DB. It cannot be used as it is, it need some cleaning work.

This cleaning work is made with PFM. PFM is a generic tool that works for different Total war games. This is why you need the schema. Schema are usually provided by the guys working on PFM. Search there.

After setting up PFM, you open the "mod.pack" you created. You will usually have all the tables where you modified at least one thing. You should rename the table name, instead of "data". Chose a name for your mod, then right click on each "data" , hit "rename" and enter your mod name. Keeping "data" will crash the game if you select the mod.

once you want to see if your mod works, you simply copy the .pack file into TW:W2 data folder and launch TW:W2. You will see your mod in the list of mods. You might need to select "allow me to use outdated mod" before being able to check its box.

Now it might not be the optimal way and some advice might be wrong or limiting for non DB mod work.

Dave -> export changes to binaries -> BOB -> mod.pack -> PFM -> cleaning -> copy to TW:W2 data folder -> launch.

If you close "dave", you might need to kill its process in windows or steam will tell you the "game is launched" and will refuse to start it again. the process name is Tweak.modder.x64.exe
    Hey thanks very much for the info.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file