Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Mortal Empires interview w/ Ian Roxburgh

Comments

• MaxPlanckMaxPlanck Registered Users Posts: 75
    edited October 2017
    Glad to hear about the new startpos for Teclis, gives me another reason to play him again.
    Post edited by MaxPlanck on
  • gholingholin Member Registered Users Posts: 1,144

crazycrix said:

So datamined was accurate after all :neutral: I think my heart stopped for a moment :'( Farewell to Oreon and his bowmen, Zlatlan and its Lizies, Albion and its Druids, Sartosa and its pirates and elven colonies and its elves :smiley:At least Knight of Origo survived this massacre :smiley: (their city Firus was found in the datamined)

At least until the Great Caliphate of Araby blows in with a storm of sand, genies, and elephants!
    I can't wait for Araby's moment! You made it sound as grand as I think it will be!

Also, I thought they said they are cutting more of Lustria and Naggaroth but expanding the southlands. We might still be able to get Oreon and Zlatlan after all.
  • obippoobippo Member Registered Users Posts: 2,261
    edited October 2017
    poorly made paint map to get a grasp of the size of it. it the rest has a similar scale the M.E. map will basically be **** immense.

Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

• uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    A bit disappointed about the rites but mostly because I'm afraid there won't be skillset redone for the OW faction lords and heroes. I like the design in the most recent factions.

Well it's something I'm keeping in mind for future mods. (but modding != playing)

I'm waiting for B&G before playing the vortex, I wonder if Mortal Empires will come before or after..
  • lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 3,484
    Why is athel Loren bretonnian? Also is avelorn magic forest?
  • HorskiHorski Registered Users Posts: 38
    I think the map will stretch further south than the datamine. He said pretty close, not exact. Also no mention of kroq'gar start posting moving, just queen and teclia
  • BrunelliImperoBrunelliImpero Registered Users Posts: 134
    edited October 2017
    Horski said:

I think the map will stretch further south than the datamine. He said pretty close, not exact. Also no mention of kroq'gar start posting moving, just queen and teclia

Also Skrolk isn't getting moved and he is pretty south in Lustria if i remember correctly.
  • NazjaxNazjax Registered Users Posts: 796
    Very interesting ! Queek in Karak Orrud and not Karak heights peaks ! Now we want Lybaras and Khalida and Khemeri and Settra CA. :open_mouth:
  • SDMSDM Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 236
    crazycrix said:

So datamined was accurate after all :neutral: I think my heart stopped for a moment :'( Farewell to Oreon and his bowmen, Zlatlan and its Lizies, Albion and its Druids, Sartosa and its pirates and elven colonies and its elves :smiley: At least Knight of Origo survived this massacre :smiley: (their city Firus was found in the datamined)

The datamine map is apparently close but it's not literally the same. If you put the glimpse of the final map provided next to the datamine map, you can see that there's differences even in that area. The seas are much narrower in the pic, the Old World is a bit closer and Naggaroth is much much closer. Naggaroth is peaking into the frame of the pic but it would be a couple turns of travel to the west on the datamine.

I'm guessing they cut the oceans down and bulked up the land when they realized during the development of the Vortex map that the ocean suuccckkkks. Whoever was complaining about the seas being too narrow is out of their mind because the Vortex seas really really hurt the campaign, I hate how each continent feels like their their own little world and how limited their interactions are (interventions are clearly a kludge added when they realized the extent of this problem).
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 37,584
    lucibuis said:

Why is athel Loren bretonnian?

Possibly because the picture is from a well-developed campaign and the Regional Ocupation from the first game has been replaced by the mechanic from the second game.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • FrancisFrancis Member Registered Users Posts: 502
    Good interview, loved the tone, top notch :)
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,071

Brakier said:

drewwest said:

No rites and new start positions for old world races is a HUGE disappointment. Rites should be available to all

I'd rather have rituals gone that in the game
    Rites and rituals are diffrent things, rituals are for the vortex race, rites are bonsus you can buy whit your factions special currency.
    As far as I remember several races cost just gold so the same could apply to old world races.
    Yes for High Elves the rites cost normal gold, and the Old World's Factions have their own Gods.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Old_World_Pantheon
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,663
    Can't say i'm pleased with this.

There's very little new information, other than lords that should have been moved 18 months ago still aren't moved and new mechanics or interesting things aren't happening for new races.

Glad to see rogue armies/treasure hunting is in I guess.

What I REALLY want is a confirmation that the oldworld races will be receiving a facelift. We have 2-3 years supposedly until Warhammer 3. I want each old world race to get a balance and mechanics pass to make them more interesting before that's done. There just isn't enough DLC left to keep the game interesting for 2+ years if the old world races stay as conservative as they were originally designed.

Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
  • Bura89Bura89 Senior Member Pisaurum, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 596
    "We’ve been playtesting the **** out of", "for **** and giggles" and "dicking around"?
    Come on guys, language!
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,722
    Judging by the release pace of game 2, we have about 18 months to game 3. Can't help things have been 'hurried along' somewhat.

HoneyBun said:

@CA_Whelan

I am sorry to be 'that guy' but the blog post is littered with expletives. It breaches your own forum rules, it's not big, it's not cool, it's not professional and as a parent it just makes me think less of you as a company.

Please just have an editor go through it.

Otherwise I think WH2 is an amazing game and look forward to ME.

Let your kids play a game that regularly ends up with piles of mutilated corpses but take offense at a bunch of swearwords.

Priorities, how do they work?
    And there are many swears in the game itself, but as long as there is bloodless carnage it's okey.
  • NyaxxyNyaxxy Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 222
    The tone of the interview was good, the use of language made me smile and gave the impression that it was more down to earth and personal than just another PR piece.

I'm fine with the map size, that doesn't bother me. Plenty room for expansion exploration.

Disappointed concerning the Rites information. I believe that this should be looked into and implemented for all the factions to bring them onto a similar level of power and mechanics. There is already a thread with ideas on how the other races could use Rites and what the effects could be. It seems that the power creep issue won't be addressed, the new factions all have really good mechanics which makes them better than the old races in battle and campaign. Having Rites also be exclusive is just going to make them even better. Multiplayer campaigns are going to be unbalanced because if you want to play as an Old World faction you are at an immediate disadvantage, especially considering New World races can just pay money for factionwide public order, spells and special heroes.

As with all things, I guess I'll have to play the game and experience this difference in power for myself. Perhaps it won't be that bad, but on paper this doesn't seem balanced at all. My only hope is that the Experiment freeLC adds Rites and/or new mechanics for the Old World factions, along side alternate starting locations.
  • ShermanSherman Member Registered Users Posts: 898
    Bura89 said:

"We’ve been playtesting the **** out of", "for **** and giggles" and "dicking around"?
    Come on guys, language!

Eheh, to be honest I was surprised too about reading that in an official article, for a second I asked myself if I opened the wrong page.
  • TalmoreanTalmorean Registered Users Posts: 1,436
    95% of the Youtubers that REVIEW Total War Games and give CA/Sega tons of publicity use the F-Bomb and beyond on a regular basis. It's not a big deal.

If the word **** offends you, you don't get out much.

lets focus on the game, not the 2 four letter words.
    Bura89 said:

Come on guys, language!

Whelan the eternal challenger would never be censored. :D
  • BlingermanBlingerman Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 356
    Really disappointed with the map being similar to the data mined map. If this is true, we won't see much of the southlands beyond desert. We loose the high elf colonies of the South with the importance they have in game play for Skaven players...
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 934
    I'm quite happy that most factions start where they should in the lore.

I don't want dwarfs in Lustria. But that's just my view.
  • AxikusAxikus Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 775
    Has no one noticed how Skavenblight is now an occupiable region? I mean, it was a given, but it's official now.
  • Bura89Bura89 Senior Member Pisaurum, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 596
    edited October 2017
    Talmorean said:

95% of the Youtubers that REVIEW Total War Games and give CA/Sega tons of publicity use the F-Bomb and beyond on a regular basis. It's not a big deal.

First I don't like and care about youtubers and their "reviews";
    second I'm not offended by those words, I mean I'm totally not a saint but they are professionists and those words seem out of place.
    Tayvar said:

Whelan the eternal challenger would never be censored. :D

It's not Whelan, he's just doing the interview.

EDIT: Typos.

• kitekaze2kitekaze2 Registered Users Posts: 24
    Axikus said:

Has no one noticed how Skavenblight is now an occupiable region? I mean, it was a given, but it's official now.

Owned by Tilea lol.
  • SnapperaSnappera Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Thanks Ian, always good for us customers to hear directly from upper management. Looks like you have a fun management style too... despite what some embittered parents may say.

Ultimately, I think it looks good. I might have been the only one in the world who though that the 'Russian Dataleak' was actually a pretty good map. With the old world included it would be a slog of just conquering meaningless areas if the vortex campaign retained its' size. Also as a HE player I'm so happy they shrunk Ulthuan, it's fine in the vortex as you're protected from the east, however an island that big in Mortal Empires would be impossible to defend.

The only criticism I have on that front is this - why have you shrunk the sea by so much? I see it in the screenshot at the top of the interview.

I get it, sailing around the map isn't fun (especially because it's all autoresolve, otherwise this would be an even bigger criticism) and I was expecting the oceans to be shrunk down in size a little compared to the dataleak (where they're even bigger than the vortex). But this is crazy small. Surely oceans don't really add to turn times (no settlements right?) and they'll only delay the action by a couple of turns. I think that's a fair price to pay for making the map more vast and creating some more adventure between the new and old worlds.
    New Culture Pack - Total War Forums

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: 2x discontent from taxes
    PC Master Race Prices: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Inaccurate Historical Knowledge: Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Older Demographic: +25% Research Rate
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 5,640
    Talmorean said:

I'm not offended as such, it just seems a bit bizarre reading an Englishman who is probably a few years MY senior talking like that.

He'll be calling Whelan "brah" next!
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • Horus168Horus168 Registered Users Posts: 578
    Great interview, I'm looking forward to it...
  • bayesbayes Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 426
    I like to think that the seas look small to represent faster travel times, for immersions sake. Anyways it looks great, cant wait to see more of it.