Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Mortal Empires interview w/ Ian Roxburgh

Comments

• EpicureanEpicurean Member Registered Users Posts: 139
    Nyaxxy said:

The tone of the interview was good, the use of language made me smile and gave the impression that it was more down to earth and personal than just another PR piece.

I'm fine with the map size, that doesn't bother me. Plenty room for expansion exploration.

Disappointed concerning the Rites information. I believe that this should be looked into and implemented for all the factions to bring them onto a similar level of power and mechanics. There is already a thread with ideas on how the other races could use Rites and what the effects could be. It seems that the power creep issue won't be addressed, the new factions all have really good mechanics which makes them better than the old races in battle and campaign. Having Rites also be exclusive is just going to make them even better. Multiplayer campaigns are going to be unbalanced because if you want to play as an Old World faction you are at an immediate disadvantage, especially considering New World races can just pay money for factionwide public order, spells and special heroes.

As with all things, I guess I'll have to play the game and experience this difference in power for myself. Perhaps it won't be that bad, but on paper this doesn't seem balanced at all. My only hope is that the Experiment freeLC adds Rites and/or new mechanics for the Old World factions, along side alternate starting locations.

My thoughts exactly.
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,749
    I actually liked that they swore in that article makes the interview more personal less robot corporate.

Also CA has said in this interview that they are open to making changes to the campaign after the release which is fine that means LL positions can change and I personally think it will change.

They also said when Norsca was announced that it wouldn't be in Warhammer 2 or Mortal Empires right away since they were made late. Thank God tho imagine Mammoth spam in those ritual Chaos doom stacks.

Mortal Empires will only get better with time and more DLC :p
    Died during the great YOYO wars
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,071
    RikRiorik said:

I can sort of understand the map even though it lessens the overall feel off the world shutting down the openess of it and boxing it in again.

But no rites for Old World races? That's a mistake in my book. Why wouldn't you add something new to the races we've already played for hundreds and hundreds of hours? If Old World races don't get rites what exactly changes for them come Mortal Empires? Just play them again with a larger map? Feels like a missed opportunity. This was a perfect opportunity to add to the Old World races without creating something wholly unique to each and every one.

I think a lot of us just sort of assumed that you'd touch up the Old World races as well because 'why not?'.

Apart from that I am still looking forward to playing again on the new map with interaction between Old World and New World alike.

There is also no lore justification for the Empire to not have the rites of it's gods, and it would likely increase the power creep between the "old" and the "new" factions of the trilogy.
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,692
    Happy with the map and looking forward to play it. Sad to hear old factions are not getting rites, but I hope that the general hope and future updates will compensate for this.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,189
    Please keep swearing in reviews, it made it seem more like what it was, an honest intervoew of a designer rather than a statement issued in a different format. It was also pretty funny.
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Registered Users Posts: 1,308
    edited October 2017
    I respect CA work and this looks impressive but they didn't made the right decision in my opinion, it's exactly what i feared :disappointed:

They should make the map loreful, without modifying oceans size AND drastically increase the travelling speed in oceans.
    With that, the map is more loreful and the gameplay is not boring. Problems solved.

Also, i'm ok with no rites for Mortal Empires. Rites are cool but we can still have lots of fun without rites.
  • TalmoreanTalmorean Registered Users Posts: 1,436
    edited October 2017
    Arsenic said:

Talmorean said:

95% of the Youtubers that REVIEW Total War Games and give CA/Sega tons of publicity use the F-Bomb and beyond on a regular basis. It's not a big deal.

If the word **** offends you, you don't get out much.

lets focus on the game, not the 2 four letter words.

I'm not offended as such, it just seems a bit bizarre reading an Englishman who is probably a few years MY senior talking like that.

He'll be calling Whelan "brah" next!
    Um....every Brit I've ever encountered is Patient Zero for new curse words. Seriously they take swear words to a new level. Enough to make us "Uncivilized" Americans blush.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,641
    Tayvar said:

RikRiorik said:

I can sort of understand the map even though it lessens the overall feel off the world shutting down the openess of it and boxing it in again.

But no rites for Old World races? That's a mistake in my book. Why wouldn't you add something new to the races we've already played for hundreds and hundreds of hours? If Old World races don't get rites what exactly changes for them come Mortal Empires? Just play them again with a larger map? Feels like a missed opportunity. This was a perfect opportunity to add to the Old World races without creating something wholly unique to each and every one.

I think a lot of us just sort of assumed that you'd touch up the Old World races as well because 'why not?'.

Apart from that I am still looking forward to playing again on the new map with interaction between Old World and New World alike.

There is also no lore justification for the Empire to not have the rites of it's gods, and it would likely increase the power creep between the "old" and the "new" factions of the trilogy.
    Lore bends where gameplay is concerned anyways. The justification is probably a lot more corporate.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    drewwest said:

No rites and new start positions for old world races is a HUGE disappointment. Rites should be available to all

old world races have RoR?

drewwest said:

No rites and new start positions for old world races is a HUGE disappointment. Rites should be available to all

Old world races have RoR?
    The Regiments of Renown started to get added with DLCs, the new world don't have DLCs yet.
  • madskittlsmadskittls Registered Users Posts: 294
    Honestly, I didn't mind the swearing, as I thought it added some emotion (to me frustration with us not being patient and him having to do an interview in order to appease us), that was needed in this case because we all had a lot of emotion for ME. However if that became the standard, I really think it would not stand out anymore and would just be swearing for swearing. I would prefer that it be used as infrequently as possible in order for it to have a real meaning.
    But I also understand that the swearing is not for everyone and I believe that is a perfectly valid opinion. We don't need to attack people who we disagree with, instead engage them in a discussion about the current topic.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 13,975
    I am kinda ambivalent about the lack of rites for Old World races... on one hand it would likely throw balance out of whack, require tonnes of testing, and take development time. On the other hand... super happy fun times.

Anyway, the map matching the datamine kinda worries me but it depends more on how it plays than anything else. So it could just be fine. And we are apparently getting new regions not in either... so... okay.

Overall... it looks like it has lots of potential.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • BrakierBrakier Registered Users Posts: 1,528
    @madskittls i agree holehearted. also i do think being on the internet cant blame people treating you as an adult. put your kids away , let them play in the woods like i did when i was young.

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,323
    Harconn said:

Just take your time, CA. I will wait until end of November if ME needs that long to polish. Just don't rush or screw things, it's the main thing for me and I like quality.

This.
  • SherShahSuriSherShahSuri Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,109
    "matter of weeks" so... not months... :D It sounds like we get it in October.
    Canuovea said:

I am kinda ambivalent about the lack of rites for Old World races... on one hand it would likely throw balance out of whack, require tonnes of testing, and take development time. On the other hand... super happy fun times.

It would help to the balancing, but it's requires some extra work to add them for the old world's factions, but right now it's a power creep feature, if only the new world's factions having the rites.
  • PappyTronPappyTron Registered Users Posts: 986
    Swearing in an interview? ZOGGIN' hell!
    "Back in the sweatshop in Ulthuan, we found an Elf, we tossed it right in the soup. Those hungry bastards ate Elf soup every day. What's the worst thing that could happen? Some little snotling chokes on a hairball and dies? So then you toss him in the soup. I was making money hand over foot, literally. Some gobbo lost a hand or a foot, I'd toss it in the soup" - Grom
  • EgonicEgonic Registered Users Posts: 158
    HoneyBun said:

@CA_Whelan

I am sorry to be 'that guy' but the blog post is littered with expletives. It breaches your own forum rules, it's not big, it's not cool, it's not professional and as a parent it just makes me think less of you as a company.

Please just have an editor go through it.

Otherwise I think WH2 is an amazing game and look forward to ME.

I don't know where you are from but the game is PEGI 16, you know age 16.
    Do you have child that is 16 or older that has to be shielded from swear words? Or was it just completely irrelevant to mention you were a parent?
  • FlyingWarPigWithPawsFlyingWarPigWithPaws Registered Users Posts: 781
    I never understood the forced attempt to censor swearing. Kids swear all the time, censoring doesnt change this one bit.
    Ungrim is no longer homesick.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,026
    I wonder that if WH 2 is on the end of its cycle and revive its "emperor/old world/new world edition" update, if we will see a redesign of the ME campaign...
    at that point, we not only Norsca, but TK and probably Arbay and maybe DoW.

And CA had alot of time to see all the mechanics at work.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • karge068karge068 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,294
    Has there been some merging of Bret Provinces?

I thought the Old World wasn't going to lose any settlements
  • BrakierBrakier Registered Users Posts: 1,528
    karge068 said:

looking at the citys on the map i see all bretonnia citys.

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,026
    The old world actually gained provinces...
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • karge068karge068 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,294
    Brakier said:

karge068 said:

Provinces seem to be merged eg "Carcasonne et Brionne" which makes me think they might have cut settlements

Sounds like it's my mistake though.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,206
    Brakier said:

karge068 said:

They renamed the provinces to better suit that in the lore those Provinces are two dukedoms.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• SnapperaSnappera Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    lucibuis said:

Why is athel Loren bretonnian? Also is avelorn magic forest?

I thought the Wood Elves got cut? @lucibuis
    New Culture Pack - Total War Forums

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: 2x discontent from taxes
    PC Master Race Prices: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Inaccurate Historical Knowledge: Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Older Demographic: +25% Research Rate
  • NazjaxNazjax Registered Users Posts: 796

lucibuis said:

Why is athel Loren bretonnian?

Possibly because the picture is from a well-developed campaign and the Regional Ocupation from the first game has been replaced by the mechanic from the second game.
    RIP Wood Elves who destroy everyone on the map and was rank 1 with their OP confederations and sooooo strong economy. Aaaah... good times :expressionless:
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,667
    Nazjax said:

lucibuis said:

Possibly because the picture is from a well-developed campaign and the Regional Ocupation from the first game has been replaced by the mechanic from the second game.
    RIP Wood Elves who destroy everyone on the map and was rank 1 with their OP confederations and sooooo strong economy. Aaaah... good times :expressionless:
    The Green Tide... it still gives me Vietnam-like Flashbacks!
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN! TOTAL WAR TROY FOR ONE YEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE!"

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • SnapperaSnappera Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Nazjax said:

lucibuis said:

However, there is the fact that the play tester for this particular campaign was playing as Bretonnia. May be why WE didn't do so well. Dunno how he lost so much to the HE then became their ally. git gud playtester.
    New Culture Pack - Total War Forums

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: 2x discontent from taxes
    PC Master Race Prices: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Inaccurate Historical Knowledge: Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Older Demographic: +25% Research Rate
  • Gael4000Gael4000 Registered Users Posts: 78

Nazjax said:

lucibuis said:

The Green Tide... it still gives me Vietnam-like Flashbacks!
    Nope my friend that was the yellow tide.

Ok I'm out :smile: