Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Mortal Empires interview w/ Ian Roxburgh

Comments

• madskittlsmadskittls Registered Users Posts: 294
    Anyone else concerned about the A.I. Dwarves painting the map every time? They 85% of the time came out on top against G.S., Chaos/Norsca essentially ignored them, and now they can occupy any land they want...
    H.E. also look like they're going to be really strong, which is fine, but I really hope they implement some sort of a settle down mechanic so the A.I. isn't able to field 10 stacks of armies and become invincible on the other side of the map.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,026

Anyone else concerned about the A.I. Dwarves painting the map every time? They 85% of the time came out on top against G.S., Chaos/Norsca essentially ignored them, and now they can occupy any land they want...
    H.E. also look like they're going to be really strong, which is fine, but I really hope they implement some sort of a settle down mechanic so the A.I. isn't able to field 10 stacks of armies and become invincible on the other side of the map.

I think that because Norsca now also can settle everywhere, the dwarfs get more counter.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • ShermanSherman Member Registered Users Posts: 898

Honestly I think even old world could have received some rework, but I understand that this mean allocate time and resources for something that is relased yet etc... but I imagine the difficulty now it's also the following (especially in changing start position): put togheter a map built on a old game philosophy (regional occupation and single main faction like dwarf, greenskins, vampire counts etc...) with the new (conquer everything, different startpos).

However, following also what you have wrote in the past blog articles I understood that you want and you will change the starpositioning, but not at relase because you want to balance all.

If you want a personal feedback, in my opinion you should try to use the new possibilities open by the possibility of conquer all. I startpos I want to see changed it's the one of Vlad and Isabella, it's silly find this empire divided beetween vlad occupying west-est and Manfredd North-south. I think for the player could be more interesting a Vlad campaign to take again Sylvania starting from another place, maybe in the desolation of Nagash or in the border princes, there are many possibilities.
  • Phoenix99Phoenix99 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,036

I actually think that dwarfs will have harder time due to vampires also being able to take their holds now
  • Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Registered Users Posts: 1,763
    Here's what I've gathered South of Kroq Gar has been cut South of Skrolk has been no big loss there. Sea has been shrunk but there's no naval battles so whatever. Norsca isn't in yet but they're coming. Lords haven't been moved yet but they will be ( Crynsos fixed this a while ago anyway). No rites but the mechanics exist do be looking for mods with them around late November. The designer on a 16+ game has a potty mouth..... fine.

I think that's it. So then two things need to be addressed. 1st Can we see the map? Now that you've braced us on map size but assured us there's still plenty of content it's time to show us the map itself so we can judge.

2nd and this is a big one. If the data mine is correct if the data mine is correct on the South and West portions of the map is it also correct on the East? If so CA that's not acceptable. I don't want to be that person who makes demands but that's a line in the sand. The eastern portion of the datamined map is tiny and does no justice in comparison to what the new and old worlds bring in terms of variety. If that's what game 3 consists of then your basically condensing the dark lands and calling it the grand finale. Hope my fears are unfounded though.

Looking forward to Mortal Empires as it stands it seems pretty good to me. Especially Tilea winning the war with the Skaven. Make them a unique race and you'll have my heart.
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • gholingholin Member Registered Users Posts: 1,144
    edited October 2017
    Tayvar said:

HoneyBun said:

@CA_Whelan

I am sorry to be 'that guy' but the blog post is littered with expletives. It breaches your own forum rules, it's not big, it's not cool, it's not professional and as a parent it just makes me think less of you as a company.

Please just have an editor go through it.

Otherwise I think WH2 is an amazing game and look forward to ME.

Let your kids play a game that regularly ends up with piles of mutilated corpses but take offense at a bunch of swearwords.

Priorities, how do they work?
    And there are many swears in the game itself, but as long as there is bloodless carnage it's okey.
    But the inte

I never understood the forced attempt to censor swearing. Kids swear all the time, censoring doesnt change this one bit.

I'm more bothered that it sounds less professional and pleasant. I actually thought while reading it for the first time, 'Man, something's off with this interview." I mean, he's giving an interview about "dicking around with things" It doesn't sound as passionate as other interviews I've heard as a result. Tinkering sounds like a more passionate word. Dicking around sounds like he's just foolishly playing with mechanics. Sounds like he's got a beef or something or isn't a pleasant person.

Swear words can make you sound dumb if you use them too much or in the wrong contexts. If a coroner said "I was dicking around with his corpse before the funeral" instead of "I was applying makeup on him for the funeral" he might get some suspicious glances.

English is a rich language, which words you choose to use in different situations can change perceptions about you.
    Egonic said:

HoneyBun said:

@CA_Whelan

I am sorry to be 'that guy' but the blog post is littered with expletives. It breaches your own forum rules, it's not big, it's not cool, it's not professional and as a parent it just makes me think less of you as a company.

Please just have an editor go through it.

Otherwise I think WH2 is an amazing game and look forward to ME.

I don't know where you are from but the game is PEGI 16, you know age 16.
    Do you have child that is 16 or older that has to be shielded from swear words? Or was it just completely irrelevant to mention you were a parent?
    I'm more bothered that it sounds less professional and pleasant. I actually thought while reading it for the first time, 'Man, something's off with this interview." I mean, he's giving an interview about "dicking around with things" It doesn't sound as passionate as other interviews I've heard as a result. Tinkering sounds like a more passionate word. Dicking around sounds like he's just foolishly playing with mechanics. Sounds like he's got a beef or something or isn't a pleasant person.

Swear words can make you sound dumb if you use them too much or in the wrong contexts. If a funeral director said "I was dicking around with his corpse before the funeral" instead of "I was applying makeup on him for the funeral" he might get some suspicious glances.

English is a rich language, which words you choose to use in different situations can change perceptions about you.

I never understood the forced attempt to censor swearing. Kids swear all the time, censoring doesnt change this one bit.

Swear words can make you sound dumb if you use them too much or in the wrong contexts. If a funeral director said "I was dicking around with his corpse before the funeral" instead of "I was applying makeup on him for the funeral" he might get some suspicious glances.

• NemoxNemox Registered Users Posts: 2,872
    Sorry, I know Mortal Empires is a big feature talk point...

But can we focus some more on the pressing issue of the swearing. Are we getting DLC for it? Will the c-word be game 3 feature?

Where are the russians and their datamining when we really need them!
  • krunshkrunsh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,692
    gholin said:

It's an internal interview for the forum, not with any kind of press. It was two fellow workers from the same company having a chat for the benefit of the fans on the forum.

This is why it was less "Professional.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
    krunsh said:

gholin said:

It's an internal interview for the forum, not with any kind of press. It was two fellow workers from the same company having a chat for the benefit of the fans on the forum.

This is why it was less "Professional.

That makes more sense. However, it is still being posted on review sites like PCGamer. That's something to consider.

I don't particularly care about the swearing, I'm just adding my two cents that I think professionalism is important for Public Relations and it just sounds more smart to boot. We may not mind the words, but there are others who do. As they say in politics, "be careful what you say or how you say it. you never know who's listening."
  • Mstewa30Mstewa30 Registered Users Posts: 353
    Is it the same number of factions or are they being merged?

FYI the game is rated Pegi 16:
    This rating is applied once the depiction of violence (or sexual activity) reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life. More extreme bad language, the concept of the use of tobacco and drugs and the depiction of criminal activities can be content of games that are rated 16.

Seriously, how can you moan about the bad language!? Get a **** grip
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,667
    "( Crynsos fixed this a while ago anyway)"

"Fixed"... Gelt and Volkmar and Ghorst should not lead their own factions (you could argue the same about Grombrindal... he helps dawi and doesn't take over ruling holds)
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN! TOTAL WAR TROY FOR ONE YEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE!"

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • BrakierBrakier Registered Users Posts: 1,528
    edited October 2017
    Well ive played bretonnia more times then i can count and i see all thier settlements not counting the onces further north. i also see the 5 wood elf settlements, "counting oak of ages" so it looks like they havent changed the old world. the new world has alot more citys then its needs to be honest, one thing i liked about old world was how rare 4 settlement provinces was, riekland being worth alot for this reason. i hope they have made something similar so those 4 settlement provinces are very valueble.

it be wierd for humans if riekland is the only 4 settlement province in the old world and the new world has it scatterd all over. i rather that they make alot of 2 and 3 settlement provinces, and 1 and 4 settlement provinces being rare as they both often have strengths about them.

• JecklJeckl Registered Users Posts: 376
    So a few criticisms

1. I see the Dwarfs own a lot of the Empire, which is exactly what I thought would happen when they dropped the RO limit. We need either; to bring back the ability to trade land in diplomacy or to make the down side MUCH worse for the different environments.

2. No rites for the Old World races. Why? Rites are a good feature of the new game and I would love to see them added to the OWR, it adds a lot of flavour and they are very useful and powerful powers.

Will to the OWR get a second currency? Or is this another thing where they will be left behind?

In short I like the OWR, why should I play Mortal Empires if they are going to not get anything new and by much weaker compared to the new races?

Further more I consider that Morathi's Chaos Corruption must be changed.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Registered Users Posts: 4,335
    Jeckl said:

In short I like the OWR, why should I play Mortal Empires if they are going to not get anything new and by much weaker compared to the new races?

Not get anything new? Aside from rites and the 2nd currency which only serves a purpose for those rites and rituals. They are getting dragon breath attacks, new buildings, increased settlement sizes for capitals, rogue armies, treasure hunts, switched to the new RO system, chokepoint battles. Seriously, they are getting several updates, but no of course they are not getting rites so they are not getting “any” updates.
    Later
    yea they are getting loads of improvement, is just that rites have really klickt whit people, they love it, they see the scope how it can alter a players playstyle for a faction, its a amazing tool the balance the race as a hole whitout having to change other parts, so people just love it and im sure that ca will give it if they feel its worth it.

• Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,105
    So we have the data-mined list of regions for both campaigns, right? Is it possible for someone to make a visual representation of what's getting cut by comparing the two lists? Doesn't have to be fancy, something in MS Paint will do.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 37,583
    Mstewa30 said:

This rating is applied once the depiction of violence (or sexual activity) reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life. More extreme bad language, the concept of the use of tobacco and drugs and the depiction of criminal activities can be content of games that are rated 16.

Just to clarify. The game may be rated PEGI 16 but the forum has a much lower age limit. Even under-13s can join the forum if they have parental consent.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • SnapperaSnappera Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Here's why I think rites aren't being included for the old world:

You'd have to rebalance the entire old world campaign and think of all the new content to fill up these rites with. What's the dwarf equivalent of a black ark? You're not just porting warhammer 2 content to warhammer 1 (like dragon breath attacks), instead you're developing lots of new stuff. Which is expensive. CA's a company (a subsidiary too) that has a limited budget decided by bigger fish than the developers.

Perhaps more importantly though is the first point. Effectively, the old world campaign is balanced without rites. The new world is balanced with rites. Balancing these two to fit together is most likely something they've been planning from the start of TWWH2 campaign development. Rather than reinventing the old, it seems like they've made the new fit the old (with some minor changes to skills trees and building slots).

I'm sure more slight changes have been made, but I wouldn't expect anything significant in the campaign balance for this reason.

P.S. Battles for the mega campaign are the complete opposite. Due to the new features like dragon breath attacks and the desire to slow down the battle pacing, the old world battles have had to be rebalanced for the new world. I bet that was a pain. CADuck must have gone quackers by now. Get it? Quackers? Ha ha ha, shoot me.
    New Culture Pack - Total War Forums

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: 2x discontent from taxes
    PC Master Race Prices: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Inaccurate Historical Knowledge: Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Older Demographic: +25% Research Rate

Mstewa30 said:

Just to clarify. The game may be rated PEGI 16 but the forum has a much lower age limit. Even under-13s can join the forum if they have parental consent.
    In my day and age kids where out playing in the nature not spending thier time on a forum, times where better at my days. all these phones people caring around has them missing all the good things about the world. i have never buyed a mobile phone and i never will, i still have my old in the wall. no sms here, no thank you.

edited October 2017

Jeckl said:

Not get anything new? Aside from rites and the 2nd currency which only serves a purpose for those rites and rituals. They are getting dragon breath attacks, new buildings, increased settlement sizes for capitals, rogue armies, treasure hunts, switched to the new RO system, chokepoint battles. Seriously, they are getting several updates, but no of course they are not getting rites so they are not getting “any” updates.
    No, that's the ritual currency. I am talking about influence, Slaves, food, etc.

Rouge armies are not something new for the OW, we already had beastmen and savage orcs

Only one faction has Dragons.

Who is getting new buildings?

Yeah the new RO system, which means the dwarfs and Norcsa will rule the world and if I (say as the Empire) want my empire back I have to attack the Dwarfs, meaning no way to ally with them, oh yeah soooo much fun.

They are getting updates, but those updates are crap and make the game worse, with no expansion of the factions from where they were a year ago.
    Snappera said:

Here's why I think rites aren't being included for the old world:

You'd have to rebalance the entire old world campaign and think of all the new content to fill up these rites with. What's the dwarf equivalent of a black ark? You're not just porting warhammer 2 content to warhammer 1 (like dragon breath attacks), instead you're developing lots of new stuff. Which is expensive. CA's a company (a subsidiary too) that has a limited budget decided by bigger fish than the developers.

Perhaps more importantly though is the first point. Effectively, the old world campaign is balanced without rites. The new world is balanced with rites. Balancing these two to fit together is most likely something they've been planning from the start of TWWH2 campaign development. Rather than reinventing the old, it seems like they've made the new fit the old (with some minor changes to skills trees and building slots).

I'm sure more slight changes have been made, but I wouldn't expect anything significant in the campaign balance for this reason.

P.S. Battles for the mega campaign are the complete opposite. Due to the new features like dragon breath attacks and the desire to slow down the battle pacing, the old world battles have had to be rebalanced for the new world. I bet that was a pain. CADuck must have gone quackers by now. Get it? Quackers? Ha ha ha, shoot me.

No one is asking (as far as I could see) for the rites to be added to game 1. We just want them in THIS game, the one they are making right now.

Rites (and secondary resource) are great parts of game 2. I (and I assume others) would like this to be added to the races of game 1.
    edited October 2017
    @HoneyBun alot of people say swearwords when they speak normaly, like **** for example, "i need to go take a ****" or "this taste like ****" ect ect, might not be normal by finer families and people, but the majority of people are not finer familes, they are normal people whit ruff edges.

My point being, this was an interview, why should we get angry when we getting the interview raw instead going thruw a filter wich can remove alot of the mans energy in his speech.

edited October 2017
    Jeckl said:

No one is asking (as far as I could see) for the rites to be added to game 1. We just want them in THIS game, the one they are making right now.

Rites (and secondary resource) are great parts of game 2. I (and I assume others) would like this to be added to the races of game 1.

To clarify, I was referring to the Mortal Empires campaign. The reasoning is the same. Remember, Mortal Empires is Free-LC, not a paid for expansion.

When I said 'old world campaign' I meant the old world part of the ME campaign. That will effectively play the same as in game 1 with the new factions providing the difference.

• madskittlsmadskittls Registered Users Posts: 294
    Brakier said:

@HoneyBun alot of people say swearwords when they speak normaly, like **** for example, "i need to go take a ****" or "this taste like ****" ect ect, might not be normal by finer families and people, but the majority of people are not finer familes, they are normal people whit ruff edges.

My point being, this was an interview, why should we get angry when we getting the interview raw instead going thruw a filter wich can remove alot of the mans energy in his speech.

Well that's how you choose to live. You choose to live in a world where swear words are commonplace.
    He does not want to live that way, and the rules of the forum (I don't know this for sure), have been that swearing is not allowed. So the rules that he wants to follow and has been promised that they won't be broken, have been broken and he is affected. He is totally justified for saying his point of view.

In order to better illustrate this, imagine you are a man whose only internet access is on a computer(doesn't like swearing), most everyone else around you has access to the internet by phone or tablet(is accepting of swearing). Now you subscribe to a channel that gives news out to everyone and they have said that they will make it available to all platforms(the forum rules). Then one day for expediency's sake they decide to release it only on phones, because most people have access on phones and we can get it out faster. Now would you complain?

I know it's not a perfect comparison, but I think it does bring into consideration that some people live differently and are accepting of things that others do not and that's not necessarily bad, but just different.
    This has been morality with madskittls tune in next week to see view our episode on the national anthem! ;)
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 25,209
    Still amused by the fact that certain people complain about swearwords but not about the game being about massacring people, raiding, stealing, rape, warmongering, political assassinations, mass-poisoning, genocide and worshiping occult deities. I guess all of that is OK as long as you don't use four-letter words while doing it.

Still amused by the fact that certain people complain about swearwords but not about the game being about massacring people, raiding, stealing, rape, warmongering, political assassinations, mass-poisoning, genocide and worshiping occult deities. I guess all of that is OK as long as you don't use four-letter words while doing it.

It's like how showing people nude in games is still more socially unacceptable than showing people being decapitated.

Puritanism is really alive, especially in the US.

Snappera said:

Jeckl said:

To clarify, I was referring to the Mortal Empires campaign. The reasoning is the same. Remember, Mortal Empires is Free-LC, not a paid for expansion.

When I said 'old world campaign' I meant the old world part of the ME campaign. That will effectively play the same as in game 1 with the new factions providing the difference.
    Then your statement makes no sense. ME has some factions with the rites (which are a big boon) and some with out. That is not balance.

Well they had to make a new map for it, so I don't see they they AREN'T working on adding rites and secondary currencies to the old world, yes it's more work, but it would increase sales, however they did not say 'it will come in time' they basically said that won't happen at all. Why aren't the Empire, Vampires, Dwarfs and Orcs getting Rites? (the beastmen have a rite-lite thing with their moon phases)

So again, what do I gain by playing it? Why not play the two seperate games where things are balanced?
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,071

It reminds me the trope 'would be rude to say genocide', anyway only CA allowed to do it. :)
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,299
    Nemox said:

Sorry, I know Mortal Empires is a big feature talk point...

But can we focus some more on the pressing issue of the swearing. Are we getting DLC for it? Will the c-word be game 3 feature?

Where are the russians and their datamining when we really need them!

Is the localization in game were correctly translated?