Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Mortal Empires interview w/ Ian Roxburgh

Comments

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,821Registered Users
    Mega campaign that early? Darn, I won't even be finished my second campaign by then! Nice to know the bugs will be sorted before I play it though.

@gholin

So you're OK with massacring innocent civilians and sacrificing them to evil gods, but not with swearing? Y'know, people make fun of that "threshold" because it's completely off.

There's no contradiction, one's in the context of a game, the other is in the context of a forum, people are allowed to have different standards for different contexts, much like the standard at a funeral is different to the standard at a insane clown posse show.

What's interesting is why you care so much about this topic that you're trying to drag this one completely off topic, well, it would be, if the topic was about swearing and not the Mortal Empires campaign.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • DragantisDragantis PolandPosts: 190Registered Users
    Any chance for blood today or at least hot fix?
    Blood for the Blood God!
    Among men, Lu Bu. Among horses, Red Hare.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,115Registered Users

Mega campaign that early? Darn, I won't even be finished my second campaign by then! Nice to know the bugs will be sorted before I play it though.

@gholin

So you're OK with massacring innocent civilians and sacrificing them to evil gods, but not with swearing? Y'know, people make fun of that "threshold" because it's completely off.

There's no contradiction, one's in the context of a game, the other is in the context of a forum, people are allowed to have different standards for different contexts, much like the standard at a funeral is different to the standard at a insane clown posse show.

What's interesting is why you care so much about this topic that you're trying to drag this one completely off topic, well, it would be, if the topic was about swearing and not the Mortal Empires campaign.
    In case you missed it, but this came from a supposed parent complaining about exposing her children to swears while not finding anything wrong about letting them play games whose goal inevitably include massacring lots of people.

I care so much because I hate and despise this sort of hypocritical virtue-signalling.

• SnapperaSnappera Senior Member Posts: 1,201Registered Users
    Jeckl said:

Snappera said:

Jeckl said:

No one is asking (as far as I could see) for the rites to be added to game 1. We just want them in THIS game, the one they are making right now.

Rites (and secondary resource) are great parts of game 2. I (and I assume others) would like this to be added to the races of game 1.

To clarify, I was referring to the Mortal Empires campaign. The reasoning is the same. Remember, Mortal Empires is Free-LC, not a paid for expansion.

When I said 'old world campaign' I meant the old world part of the ME campaign. That will effectively play the same as in game 1 with the new factions providing the difference.
    Then your statement makes no sense. ME has some factions with the rites (which are a big boon) and some with out. That is not balance.

Well they had to make a new map for it, so I don't see they they AREN'T working on adding rites and secondary currencies to the old world, yes it's more work, but it would increase sales, however they did not say 'it will come in time' they basically said that won't happen at all. Why aren't the Empire, Vampires, Dwarfs and Orcs getting Rites? (the beastmen have a rite-lite thing with their moon phases)

So again, what do I gain by playing it? Why not play the two seperate games where things are balanced?
    No, my statement absolutely answered what you're saying in this quote. I'm saying it seems like they've balanced the new races on the campaign to the old races rather than developing new content for the old races. So rites and secondary currencies isn't something that will make the new races overpowered; rather, it's something they need to not be underpowered. Try playing as any game 2 faction, do you feel more or less powerful on the campaign map than in game 1? You feel about the same. Furthermore, the most powerful factions in the campaign are also either Dark Elves (ez pz Malekith is too easy, I'll admit that) or a game 1 faction.

As I highlighted, this is obviously the less expensive route for CA in comparison to making loads of new content for the old races. You don't have to like it, but you can see why they did it. It's cheaper to make the new fit the old than reinventing the old.

What do you gain by playing it? Well, if you pin everything on the old world races getting new campaign content that's not basically a port from game 2 (like extra building slots and skill tree changes which are coming to game 1 factions), then you get nothing from it. It appears no significant new content is being added to the old world races. No rune system for the Dwarfs either, in case you were wondering.

However, if instead you liked the old world races and want to play them in an expanded setting that includes the new world, ported campaign and battle features from warhammer 2 and completely rebalanced battles to suit warhammer 2. Then you'll enjoy yourself.

You certainly have a rite (see what I did there?) to say that CA haven't done enough. However it's pretty obvious why they did it.
    New Culture Pack - Total War Forums

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: 2x discontent from taxes
    PC Master Race Prices: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Inaccurate Historical Knowledge: Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Older Demographic: +25% Research Rate
  • antony23antony23 Junior Member Posts: 245Registered Users
    HoneyBun said:

Brakier said:

@HoneyBun alot of people say swearwords when they speak normaly, like **** for example, "i need to go take a ****" or "this taste like ****" ect ect, might not be normal by finer families and people, but the majority of people are not finer familes, they are normal people whit ruff edges.

My point being, this was an interview, why should we get angry when we getting the interview raw instead going thruw a filter wich can remove alot of the mans energy in his speech.

We do, as a country in England and Wales, still regulate swearing quite heavily.

For example, swearing in public is still a potential criminal offence under the Public Order Act. Adverts - both videos and written, are regulated by the ASA and swearing is pretty tightly controlled. This very forum regulates the words that were used in the interview.

The person in question gave a similar interview to PC Gamer. That contains no swearing. So either he regulated himself or the magazine edited him.

I am not seeking to control how you live your life in private. But public spaces are shared spaces and that means accommodating the weakest and the most vulnerable.

I am surprised at the huge negative backlash I am receiving.
    Have you tried living in Aldershot? its basically australia here
    I'm blind not deaf
  • SnapperaSnappera Senior Member Posts: 1,201Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    antony23 said:

HoneyBun said:

Brakier said:

@HoneyBun alot of people say swearwords when they speak normaly, like **** for example, "i need to go take a ****" or "this taste like ****" ect ect, might not be normal by finer families and people, but the majority of people are not finer familes, they are normal people whit ruff edges.

My point being, this was an interview, why should we get angry when we getting the interview raw instead going thruw a filter wich can remove alot of the mans energy in his speech.

We do, as a country in England and Wales, still regulate swearing quite heavily.

For example, swearing in public is still a potential criminal offence under the Public Order Act. Adverts - both videos and written, are regulated by the ASA and swearing is pretty tightly controlled. This very forum regulates the words that were used in the interview.

The person in question gave a similar interview to PC Gamer. That contains no swearing. So either he regulated himself or the magazine edited him.

I am not seeking to control how you live your life in private. But public spaces are shared spaces and that means accommodating the weakest and the most vulnerable.

I am surprised at the huge negative backlash I am receiving.
    Have you tried living in Aldershot? its basically australia here
    I thought England and Wales invented most swear words anyway. We're so imaginative because it's so naughty, tee hee.
    New Culture Pack - Total War Forums

Eternal Virginity: -2 provincial growth rate
    DLC Rage: 2x discontent from taxes
    PC Master Race Prices: -10% unit recruitment cost
    Inaccurate Historical Knowledge: Can recruit units from nearby factions
    Older Demographic: +25% Research Rate
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    edited October 2017

@gholin

@gholin

@gholin

@gholin

I personally have no problem with swearing. I'm speaking of the nature of interviews and the public.

Also, I was not aware this game actually depicted or allowed me to directly engage in slaughtering civilians and sacrificing them to evil gods? You do realize that swear words are concrete, yet the violence you mention is completely abstract behind a prompt that gives you bonus or allows you to raze a city. You never see or actually do these acts, and even then, games and movies may be based on real life, but they are not really happening in the context of their media. That's a huge difference.

I can watch the battles unfold and not feel a fig of remorse or shock, because they aren't real people! That dude in Saving Private Ryan who just had his guts spilled out, he's fine. If I saw the real act that happened, I'd be sad, and I mourn those we lost in EVERY war and I do not condone it, but these are not real people really dying okay? The mind handles that differently. Maybe it speaks in my advantage that I cannot handle horror/murder gore, because that is malicious intent and I can't handle that. Anyway, this is ridiculous. You are comparing abstract ideas to concrete ones. Doesn't work. You swearing on the forum is real. Me razing a city in a game is not.
  • HoneyBunHoneyBun Senior Member Posts: 4,501Registered Users

@gholin

In case you missed it, but this came from a supposed parent complaining about exposing her children to swears while not finding anything wrong about letting them play games whose goal inevitably include massacring lots of people.

I care so much because I hate and despise this sort of hypocritical virtue-signalling.

You have misunderstood virtue signalling as a term.

What concerns me is that there is a link to an article which includes swearing on a forum which itself prevents swearing. I am not trying to regulate adult spaces. This is not an adult space, it is a child friendly space.

@BillyRuffian has already explained young children can and do join this forum. Young children can also guest on this forum.

I have also explained that I am from a country where swearing is taken much more seriously and has more serious consequences. We all need to get along in life and that means making compromises.

What is not clear is why you have decided to change my gender. We have both posted on this forum for a long time. I did not stop being a man just because I mentioned my kid.

They are making an FPS. Who knew a company could have a mid-life crisis ...

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,831Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    It is completely absurd that CA has rules on this forum that they dont follow in an interview posted on the forum.

I really hope they are so clumsy and unproffesional that all those forum rules that were broken were missed by all of them. A long string of honest mistakes.

The alternative is that they are so arrogant that they think their users should follow rules that they themselves can ignore. That is much worse.

Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Posts: 1,763Registered Users
    Wow this has veered way of track. Finally news on Mortal Empires and we're having a serious debate on language censorship.....
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • FakeEmperorFakeEmperor Posts: 592Registered Users
    They said that datamined map is the ME map, and people get mad for swearing ???
    Then you're lucky you didn't hear me when i knew that datamined map was real...

• krunshkrunsh Senior Member Posts: 3,658Registered Users

It is completely absurd that CA has rules on this forum that they dont follow in an interview posted on the forum.

I really hope they are so clumsy and unproffesional that all those forum rules that were broken were missed by all of them. A long string of honest mistakes.

The alternative is that they are so arrogant that they think their users should follow rules that they themselves can ignore. That is much worse.

CA did not break a forum rule, the interview link was posted on here but clicking on a link that takes you to a different website (or blog in this case) with swear words in it does not break the rule.

Plenty of Youtubers are sharing their videos on the forum, which include swear words. In any case, this is why some websites tell you "You are leaving our forum now, do you wish to continue at your own risks?".

i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users

Wow this has veered way of track. Finally news on Mortal Empires and we're having a serious debate on language censorship.....

It is actually a good thing. People wil always find something to complaint so if the complaint is not about the game itself, then it means the plan about ME is pretty well recieved. :)
    HoneyBun said:

For example, swearing in public is still a potential criminal offence under the Public Order Act. Adverts - both videos and written, are regulated by the ASA and swearing is pretty tightly controlled. This very forum regulates the words that were used in the interview

I don't really want to side with the edgy boys who just want lots of swearing everywhere, but I also don't think that referencing some state rule about swearing gives your argument any morale high ground.

What you defined here is just terrifying stuff, and I hope it is never actually enforced.
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • Mohawk_RoshiMohawk_Roshi Posts: 1,763Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    LestaT said:

It is actually a good thing. People wil always find something to complaint so if the complaint is not about the game itself, then it means the plan about ME is pretty well recieved. :)
    Well put still I wish they'd calm down. I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing if my kids curse it will because my wife and I are both military and it's part of our culture. But I understand people not liking that language.
    A WIZARD SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
  • Bura89Bura89 Senior Member Pisaurum, ItalyPosts: 596Registered Users

Still amused by the fact that certain people complain about swearwords but not about the game being about massacring people, raiding, stealing, rape, warmongering, political assassinations, mass-poisoning, genocide and worshiping occult deities. I guess all of that is OK as long as you don't use four-letter words while doing it.

It's not a big deal, that just looks silly and a bit childish in a working place...or at least we do in Italy can't say about ye olde Albion. Since you're a worker too, would you mind talking/e-mailing like that to your boss or customers etc.?

About massacring people, raiding, stealing, , warmongering, assassinating, mass-poisoning, genocide and worshiping occult deities...man, it's TOTAL WAR! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!
  • gholingholin Member Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Bura89 said:

Still amused by the fact that certain people complain about swearwords but not about the game being about massacring people, raiding, stealing, rape, warmongering, political assassinations, mass-poisoning, genocide and worshiping occult deities. I guess all of that is OK as long as you don't use four-letter words while doing it.

It's not a big deal, that just looks silly and a bit childish in a working place...or at least we do in Italy can't say about ye olde Albion. Since you're a worker too, would you mind talking/e-mailing like that to your boss or customers etc.?

About massacring people, raiding, stealing, , warmongering, assassinating, mass-poisoning, genocide and worshiping occult deities...man, it's TOTAL WAR! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!
    And it's not real either so...

Anyway, ME looks great! I just want to see the Old World Factions updated with new units, factions, and LL, and want to see Araby and Tomb Kings added.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    Will the blood pack comes together with ME or much earlier/later?
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,831Registered Users
    krunsh said:

CA did not break a forum rule, the interview link was posted on here but clicking on a link that takes you to a different website (or blog in this case) with swear words in it does not break the rule.

Plenty of Youtubers are sharing their videos on the forum, which include swear words. In any case, this is why some websites tell you "You are leaving our forum now, do you wish to continue at your own risks?".

It is CAs forum linking to an interview done by CA, interviewing a CA employee.

Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,115Registered Users
    Bura89 said:

Are you saying gamers are such a precious bunch that a bunch of swears hurt their pwecious fee-fees? O, poor bunch.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,821Registered Users

Bura89 said:

Are you saying gamers are such a precious bunch that a bunch of swears hurt their pwecious fee-fees? O, poor bunch.
    Can you please stop forcing the discussion to be about this and actually discuss the topic? We get it, you like swearing, and you think people who don't are part of the super awful political group you disagree with, good on you, applause, confetti, balloons. Now can we please get back on topic? If you so desperately need to discuss the virtues of swearing on a forum then do it somewhere else, not this topic.
    LestaT said:

Will the blood pack comes together with ME or much earlier/later?

I would hope they send that one straight out as soon as it's ready.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • OMGitsJoemoOMGitsJoemo Posts: 96Registered Users
    I'm more worried about the fact that now we know the datamined map is real (or at least for the most part) we're not getting more east than the Darklands, so no Mountains of Mourn or Cathay which is pretty **** if you ask me. I can only hope they actually do change it and extend it further, otherwise I'm not going to be the happiest fan :(
  • HorskiHorski Posts: 38Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    The datamine map is close but not exact, he said pretty bang on, not exact. The datamine list of provinces shows skrolk and kroq'gar's start positions are still there and there is no mention of them moving. The interview said only Teclis and Queek are moved. That means the map stretches further south than the datamine, and southlands and lustria should not feel too stripped down as a result.

I would also expect the datamine map to not be accurate for game 3 at all. They have already said they are going to take longer to release game 3, and judging by the size of game 2, it will be BIG. Meaning they would have to cut most of their work to add it to ME as the datamine shows.

Also they have said multiple times that they plan on evolving Mortal Empires, this could also mean game 3 addition to ME will be much larger than originally planned. Maybe we could see Cathay. I for one hope fleshed out Kislev is the 4th playable faction for game 3. I mean Tzarina and some bear cavalry, yes please!
  • Bura89Bura89 Senior Member Pisaurum, ItalyPosts: 596Registered Users

Never said and never will, in fact I don't know why you even quoted me.

• ShermanSherman Member Posts: 879Registered Users
    For me the thing about swearing its merely aesthetic, in general a prefer a more professional talking for official articles. Now I'll return to drink my tea wearing my monocle.

krunsh said:

Thanks for clarifying what I said in different words <3
    i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Geforce gtx 970
    16gb ram

Team Skaven
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 10,107Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    krunsh said:

krunsh said:

Thanks for clarifying what I said in different words <3</p>
    It absolutely does break the forum terms and conditions. If ever anybody posts a link or video that contains swearing the mods will delete it for "inappropriate language ." This has happened dozens and dozens of times.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • TRexTRex Posts: 358Registered Users

All these people bashing others for saying the russian datamine would never be accurate... Pls try to be more open minded next time.

It was obvious from the beginning that the data mine was correct, it's been correct about everything.

Sadly, on any internet forum, there is a high percentage of **** dickheads whose sole purpose seems to be abusing anybody who dares to speak common sense.

Stephince said:

Seems slightly odd that to win ME as Empire an invasion of Ulthuan is necessary. I'm sure they have more important things to bash.

Yes. There'll be no possibility of me invading Ulthuan with the Empire. Under no circumstances will i be killing Elves, unless they are the nasty Dark Elves. Is that racist?

HoneyBun said:

@CA_Whelan

I am sorry to be 'that guy' but the blog post is littered with expletives. It breaches your own forum rules, it's not big, it's not cool, it's not professional and as a parent it just makes me think less of you as a company.

Please just have an editor go through it.

Otherwise I think WH2 is an amazing game and look forward to ME.

Let your kids play a game that regularly ends up with piles of mutilated corpses but take offense at a bunch of swearwords.

Priorities, how do they work?
    Wtf are you on about? It's a video game. Nothing wrong with kids killing monsters in a video game. It's a bloody video game! Swearing, however, isn't something that should be encouraged in the public domain with children around, even if i do it all the time myself. Their priorities are spot on.