Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Unable to launch Warhammer II? - Public Beta now available

CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative AssemblyPosts: 1,022Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
Greeting all! o/

We are aware that a number of you are experiencing an issue whereby the launcher will fail to start Warhammer II after pressing play. In order to help find the cause we have published an open Beta for fans experiencing this issue to be able to opt in to.

If you're reading this and you are one of those affected; please follow these instructions.
  1. Open Steam and right click on Total War: WARHAMMER II and select 'Properties'
  2. Under the 'Betas' tab enter the following code: fj7a78dfg7sfs8dfsg
  3. Click 'Check Code' and opt into the 'logging' beta from the drop down selection
  4. Start Total War: WARHAMMER II and press 'play' on the launcher
  5. If your game doesn't boot, please head to the following location: \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II\launcher
  6. Copy the 'launcher_logs.txt' file and attach it as a reply to this post along with your dxdiag.txt
  7. (dxdiag.txt is produced by running dxdiag via the run command windows key + r and typing dxdiag, then save all information)
N.B. If you are experiencing any other crash that is unrelated to the specific issue of Steam not launching the game, then please post in the relevant sub-forum here
FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Comments

• DummyDummy Posts: 9Registered Users
    I still have the same issue with the beta.

After the loading screen it does give me any visuals on my high hz monitor.
    I tried it with and without mods, with dx11 and 12.

I am honestly pretty unhappy, not only have I not been able to play the game since I bought it, I also didn't get the pre-order bonus since I pre-ordered it locally, which I was unaware of before.
    It is a nice gesture to give access to the pre-release trying to allow us to play but it still doesn't work for me.

• CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative Assembly Posts: 1,022Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Hi @Dummy ,

The issue you're reporting is unrelated to the issue on this sticky thread. The black screen on boot for high hz monitors is addressed on this thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/202156/black-screen-on-boot-try-these-steps-while-we-work-on-a-fix

It is fixed in our upcoming patch this Thursday.
    FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • VernonPolandVernonPoland Posts: 4Registered Users
    My launcher still won't even boot, glad you are looking into this and hope you're able find a solution quickly.
  • CA_MatthewCA_Matthew The Creative Assembly Posts: 1,022Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Hi @VernonPoland could you please provide your preferences.script found at the following location?

%appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer2\scripts

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,155Registered Users, Moderators, Knights

Here you go!

Try deleting the preferences.script file - it's empty and need to re-create itself.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • MichuX1MichuX1 Posts: 14Registered Users
    I tried steps from 1 to 4 and it didn't work. Here are my files:

Here you go!

Try deleting the preferences.script file - it's empty and need to re-create itself.
    And I'm live! THANK YOU!!!
  • TheHighborneTheHighborne Posts: 2Registered Users
    I seem to have this problem and am unable to solve it. Every time I try to open Warhammer 2 from the launcher the message "Unable to initialize Steam API" appears. Doesn't matter if I open it from Steam or start the .exe directly, doesn't matter if I start it as Administrator or not.

The folder %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer2\ was never created by the game and doesn't exist.

I tried reinstalling the game several times to no avail. Warhammer 1 works without problems.
  • CommandoBaboonCommandoBaboon Posts: 5Registered Users
    Hello I've also started to have this problem too, I'll go to launch Warhammer II but the launcher just does not appear at all. Tried the open beta and it sadly has not worked.

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,155Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    @CommandoBaboon Try this

1. Make sure Steam is set to English language
    2. RESTART Steam
    3. Verify the game cache for Total War Warhammer 2(through Steam)
    4. Repair/reinstall all FIVE of the redistributables (run as administrator)

Total War WARHAMMER II\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe
    Total War WARHAMMER II\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x64.exe
    Total War WARHAMMER II\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x86.exe
    Total War WARHAMMER II\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2013\vcredist_x64.exe
    Total War WARHAMMER II\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2013\vcredist_x86.exe

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    MichuX1 said:

I tried steps from 1 to 4 and it didn't work. Here are my files:

Hi there @MichuX1, thank you for reporting this, however the launcher.log is not the correct file. Please find 'launcher_logs.txt' from point 5 of my original post.

Hello I've also started to have this problem too, I'll go to launch Warhammer II but the launcher just does not appear at all. Tried the open beta and it sadly has not worked.

@CommandoBaboon could you please also attach your preferences.script from your Warhammer II appdata folder?
  • ca_rob_kca_rob_k The Creative Assembly Posts: 16Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    CommandoBaboon, would you please also try again with the latest version in the 'logging' beta?
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • CommandoBaboonCommandoBaboon Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    Never mind managed to fix it by deleting the preferences script, thanks anyway
  • TheHighborneTheHighborne Posts: 2Registered Users

I seem to have this problem and am unable to solve it. Every time I try to open Warhammer 2 from the launcher the message "Unable to initialize Steam API" appears. Doesn't matter if I open it from Steam or start the .exe directly, doesn't matter if I start it as Administrator or not.

The folder %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer2\ was never created by the game and doesn't exist.

I tried reinstalling the game several times to no avail. Warhammer 1 works without problems.

The update for Mortal Empires changed nothing, still the same error message.
  • s4ccios4ccio Junior Member Posts: 66Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    Here we are again... it doesn't work again...

I solved the problem days ago uninstalling completely steam and all the games, installing Warhammer 2 it solved the problem.
    Today after the Mortal Empires patch I have this issue again...
    I really don't want to uninstall everything again...

Please.

I did already everything, verified game cache, deleted the Creative Assembly folder under appdata, EVERYTHING.

edit : I added the log file...

Please help, I waited so much for this update... I don't want to uninstall all the games again and hope that it will work until the next patch that will mess up everything again...

Post edited by BillyRuffian on
  • MichuX1MichuX1 Posts: 14Registered Users
    I tried to find correct file but i have a problem, when i enter this location there is only folder i already send.
    Here is screen:
  • ThatSmartDudeThatSmartDude Posts: 2Registered Users
    I just wanna say that my Warhammer 2 worked perfectly fine before the beginning of October. With the release of the Steam Workshop, my game began to crash on the loading screen with a windows pop up. I've tried everything and have waited weeks for this new update but sadly it didn't fix it. I've also done a clean install of Warhammer 2 so I assume that its not because any mods I have had in the past (I have deleted all of them since this problem started). PLEASE, please find a way to fix this. I can't wait for a chance to play Mortal Empires.

I appreciate that you guys are actually looking this. Never had this problem with any of my other games.
  • Jolly12Jolly12 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Would this be it?
  • Jolly12Jolly12 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Info for the support staff :

As I did 2 weeks ago I solved only in this way :

I had to delete whole steam, deleting all the games and every file and folder related to steam, valve and creative assembly. Deleted the VCREDIST 2015 then I installed again steam and TW Warhammer 2 , installed the VCREDIST and launch the game and it works.

Both times this was the only solution I found to this problem, nothing worked, also the beta didn't work.

I hope that this will help your team to find a solution to this terrible breaking game bug, because we paid for this game, for all the DLCs and we are not able even to launch this game.

Now I can play, only because I did all that I wrote, but it is unacceptable, and I'm really scared that we the next update you will make it will happen again that the game won't launch anymore...
  • 4r74r7 Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    Hey,

I still have this issue, I have uninstalled steam, the game, reinstalled everything, checked integrity... still nothing.

in \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER II\launcher I do not have a launcher_logs.txt file...

oh and the beta doesn't work either.

How should I proceed?

(oh and this is only happening since the Mortal Empires update)
    Hi @s4ccio looking at your launcher logs it looks like it's struggling to open your preferences.script.

We have a fix for this which we're aiming to deploy soon; in the meantime if you manually replace your preferences script and try again. Please let me know if this helps.

Replace the preferences.script you have here with the one found attached:

Hi @s4ccio looking at your launcher logs it looks like it's struggling to open your preferences.script.

We have a fix for this which we're aiming to deploy soon; in the meantime if you manually replace your preferences script and try again. Please let me know if this helps.

Replace the preferences.script you have here with the one found attached:

Thank you Matthew!
    At the moment the game is working because I uninstalled Steam cleaned everything and installed again steam and the game. The problem was also that I didn't have any preferences.script file... So if should happen again, which I hope not, I'll try this out, creating manually the preferences script.

Nice to hear that you are working on a fix, very apreciated!
  • Doofy1997Doofy1997 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Hi, i have the same Problems...

here are my files,
    would be great, if someone can help me :)
    Doofy1997 said:

Hi, i have the same Problems...

here are my files,
    would be great, if someone can help me :)

If you don't have the preferences.script file, try out the soution that posted Matthew up here..
    You can consider to uninstall completely steam as I did , but you will lose all your games ... (dunno maybe you have not so many..)
  • xuttuhxuttuh Posts: 1Registered Users
    after i hit Play in the launcher the loading Screen appears, but after some time i get an error message, "Programm not working anymore" or something like that and thats it

• Doofy1997Doofy1997 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Doesn't work...
    But i seriously don't know where to add the preference file..
    Have German version, can't find the "scripts" folder.
    And if i just copy it in the folder, nothing happenes

Well, than i need to wait for the solution :sleeping:

This discussion has been closed.