Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Pirates, Vampires and Seabattles (suggestion for huge expansion for Warhammer II)

ZercaZerca Registered Users Posts: 89
edited October 2017 in Feedback & Suggestions
For all TL;DR: Suggestion for adding two playable pirate factions(Sartosa and Vampire coast) and sea fight mechanics into the game as a huge expansion of Warhammer II and Mortal Empires. The suggestion is quite detailed and therefore you do not have to read everything, anyway I would like to know if you like the idea in general. Just give me a like or whatever

Introduction

When I played Warhammer 2 the first time, I think the dimensions are absolutely gigantic. You get to see 4 new continents, in between a big ocean separating them. At the moment sea battles are rather lame. I would really like to sea fights like in Empire Total war, or Shogun in the Warhammer style. It’s a shame ‘Warhammer 2’ is not releasing its full potential. Maybe this idea isn’t on the first look that outstanding, but imagine all naval related game elements were expanded to a level in which even the Seas became actually interesting parts of the game. Besides that, it would be really nice to see that the existing factions were extended with other, Warhammer related and highly sea driven factions giving the world map more diversity. Probably, someone else has already posted about missing sea battles; see that here, as in extension. In my opinion I think the game could certainly need some ‘pirates of the Caribbean’-esque stuff: E.g. The free city of Sartosa, a Pirate faction or Luther Harkon’s undead Pirate army at the Vampire Coast.
In this post I want to tell my suggestions for a huge expansion (or several smaller, which I won’t prefer) adding naval fights and more strategic options and two playable factions for Warhammer II. This add-on focuses much on the new World than the old, therefore, everything mentioned might be part of the Mortal Empires campagne, but it focuses at first on Warhammer II Into the Vortex Campagne.

At first, I start with the suggested factions, tell about how I imagine them on the strategic map, in land battles and then I want to tell my idea of Sea battles and new naval strategic-Map options. Everything what follows now, are ideas, partly lore conforms partly just made up. I refuse to write “would” and “could” everywhere since I think it stops the reading fluency, just see it more as an complex idea box, I made up myself or unconsciously steal from others (which I don’t hope and if so I’m terribly sorry, I try to mentioned it then). Used pictures were assisting but I do not own anything of the content. I try to highly focus on lore, the existing Warhammer related table top games and figures, but more on their appearance than their actual function (which honestly I do not know directly, tell me if you know more or want to extent this idea box) .

All pictures were owned by their respected owners. If needed, i would like to present a full list of sources. The pictures were used to get an idea how the troops might look like or what would be a suitable appearance for them respectively. Some pictures were used in favor of lifting up the post with artstyle. If the Artist do not want to show them here, i will remove them as fast as possible.

Everyone who reads certain passages, and knows more or got a better idea for it, can post it here :).

The new factions

The new races/factions are less focused on building an empire or conquer whole continents, than gaining power by controlling certain positions. The Pirates resemble somehow the norsca faction, eventhough they are less destructive. As player of other races, one might get annoyed about the presence of this faction, but would never fear that they get too powerful

Pirates of Sartosa

In the game there are already for example the Pirates of Sartosa which at the moment, only look like a form of empire units. Looking into the lore of the game, Sartosian Pirates were a several different mercenaries and pirates. Former Empire men and Bretones, Estalians and Tileans, Araby but also even beastmen or orgres, orcs and other grimy guys, everyone who gave up their previous live and culture for the pursuit of greed and prosperity. I would really appreciate to see a faction of them.
Since the Pirates do not have any kings or Emperors, one of the main mechanic Is to gain and retain power over your “pirate armies” every Lord can be greedy, turn against the player unless he is powerful enough and keep a good relation towards them. If you do not react to their needs, they turn against you, and you have to fight your own army with a loyal one. What could be their needs? Pirates like easy lives. Money is important, but sometimes they want special goods. Establish and keep trading routes for certain goods or be able to plunder the said resource, will retain your power over this army. Also, they might have a certain quest for you, finding a certain treasure, attacking a certain harbor and conquer or plunder it. See more in Finances and loyalty
Pirate lords were the leaders in their home harbor of Sartosa. It would be nice to see them as commanders. One of their legendary lords could be Captain Blackheard. The player only has to keep the loyalty of their inferior pirate lords.

Worldmap

Diplomatic Psychology
General Diplomacy towards Pirates seems that they do not care with whom they trade. They want money or goods; they do not care from whom they got it.

Conquering
Pirates only conquer harbor towns, or regions in a possession of a harbor (the whole region, but it needs at least one harbor slot. Other provinces are not part of their aim and just can be pillaged or ‘freed’. Freeing a province mean that the given city is independent then, but still they have to pay a Dane geld. Unlike a vassal hood, they are not directly your military allies, but are at least forced to have a trading agreement with yours.
Pillaging has the advantage that you can directly control how much loot will be given to you and the fighting pirate lord.

Finances and loyalty
The pirate units are quite cheap in early stages, but as they soldiers become more powerful, they start to want more money and are more likely to lose their loyalty if it is missing. Unlike other races, these pirates do not suffer from a malus (increase costs) for more armies in your control. But because your pirate Lords seem to want some special treatment, costs rises dramatically. If you support one, others get envious. Lords which fight a lot for their Boss want more extra prestige (money, solving quests … see above.). High Loyalty has also an impact towards the pirate’s moral in combat.
Losing to much of the loyalty turns the army against you. It is as long out of your control as long you do not defeat them in a battle. Winning the battle turns them back towards you and resets their loyalty.

Buildings
Pirates like to pillage, not building big cities. Sartosa is the only big city they have, here they have plenty of buildings, and most of them are for their military forces. When they conquered Land they can only reach a building level of 3, and mostly use these harbors and surrounding areas for gaining resources. Beside pillage, their only way to get some money is trading and therefore creating resource developing buildings.

Trading and smuggling
Having an official trading agreement might be easy and save for a functional economy. But sometimes, you might need some extra money by less legal ways. Smuggling is working like a forced trading agreement, in which you either get out or smuggle in certain resources, with out paying the obligatory duties. The Player which you engange with smuggling will not profit from the trading agreement, but might get certain needed resources. The pirate on the other hand will earn much more than in a trading agreement. Unfortunately authorities were quite aware of the smuggling and it will slightly downgrade the relationship between each other. Be careful, which one you diddle.

Real Time Strategy

The armies of the Pirates are not in possession of cavalry. They can’t keep them on ships, so they need to attack by foot. But what they really like are their gun powder and sabers and combination of infantry types. E.g Orgre Canoneers were quite flexible artillery but also are hard to defeat in close quarter combats. Sneaking skirmishers, a cloaked close quarter infantry, have the ability to throw burning rum bottles before entering the combat. Pistoleers were mid to close range infantry which were quite the same as free company troop, which shoot and were quite good in fighting in close combats. They lack on many heavy armored troops, but they balance that with their swiftness. Their multifunctional army makes them flexible, but also weaker in their individual abilities.
It might be possible, to add dogs of war units as long as the pirates pay enough. These would be some kind of legendary units.
I present some of the table top figures, some of them belong to other pirate factions, but I think this is enough to get the idea of them.

Ogres and Dwarf pirates.

possible design for advanced infantry units

Even the biggest become a pirate if the money is right.

Post edited by Zerca on

Comments

• ZercaZerca Registered Users Posts: 89

The Vampire Coast

Luthor Harkon once stranded in Lustria, but became on of the most feared undead vampire court in this part of the world. He is greedy for the artefacts of the lizardmen to become one of the most powerful vampire courts of all time. He formed an alliance with the Sirens and therefore able to make use of several sea monsters at Sea and Land. My idea would also be that he is able to get control or forge alliances with cannibalistic pygmies. The Vampire Pirates try to get the control over holy Lizardmen locations and other ancient temples and therefore are able to make use of strong land units as well as strong naval units to get control over the great ocean.
    Mechanics

Worldmap

Diplomancatic Psychology
    The Vampire coast pirates do not have the best relations towards the living kingdoms. But since they are mostly interested in Vodoo magic, they are highly focused on warm climate areas, and do not care about the north, or even the old world. With a bit diplomatic skill one might establish some diplomatic relations towards northern kingdoms because this pirate faction is mostly focused on Lustria and the Southlands. Since they are as dead as other Vampire Court factions, they have a better relation towards Vampire Courts or Strygos Empire.

Cursedness

The Vampire Pirates Army, and races which are in is fully controlled by him in by reason of his growing might by voodoo like magic. His aim should be the the conquer and defense of special acient temples of the lizardmen, and pillage and destruction from towns and heretic temples and accomplish certain quests. Conquering of certain locations, pillage and destruction of towns, robbing caravans and ship routes increase of vampire corruption, allowing him enforce its cursedness to build more powerful units (similar to ember of the woodelves). But be warned, when the undead pirates stop pillaging, the loss of vampire corruption, and holy locations will reduce the amount of cursedness and therefore Harkon’s Influence is shrinking. If the balance is too negative, he will be unable to reinforce his troops and vampire rebellions will arise. Unlikely to the woodelves, this happens rather quick, keeping the player in a constant struggle for cursedness. By absolving certain quests, the power of Harkon become more stable and it will be less likely he loses cursedness.
    Generally, despite the needed cursedness, his undead troops are rather cheap in upkeep costs. This woed the player to build more armies, but he needs to be aware that all of them need a certain amount of cursedness.

Buildings:
    They highly focused on the recreation of the power of Axlotl, they keep this town as their main base. Other captured special cities allow Harkon to build temples (or rebuilt them) which increase the Vampire lord’s Power.
    Other places without the possession of the powerful temples, cost a certain amount of cursedness, and might be too expensive to keep. It might be cleverer to tear these places just down.
    Certain Legendary positions allow the player to build Siren (Nautica) units and Pygmy units. If he loses these locations, the player is unable to do it again and the Units in his army start to consume a lot of cursedness, leading to rebellions soon.

Real Time Strategy

Harkons Army is quite diverse.
    Unlike the original Vampire Courts, the undead pirates are in possession of ranged Infantry. While his undead pirates consists of for example Zombie pirates, but also faster ghul like zombie skirmishers. A few even use pistols or even blow themselves up. He has some zombie parrots flying with skeleton like passengers firing pistols. Something which I would really love to see is an undead ghost pirate ship hovering over the battlefield, being the absolutely most powerful unit of the vampire pirates.

By getting control over certain temples, the Vampire Coast pirates unlock new units, like sirens (ranged infantry with bow, moving like snakes they can even move at ground. Highly armor penetrating and skilled with their bows. They can perform siren singing, which cause fear in the enemy’s army. Others might be fishmen alike nautica units like the Wave breakers (trident and shield units, similar to halberd infantry). Beside that the vampire pirates make use of this people in their float. About this later.

Wavebreaker units

possible artstyle of the Sirens.

Last but not least, when Harkon is ready to sail over the Great Ocean, he might be able to get access to Pygmy Units. Pygmies are settled in the jungles of the Southlands. They use Spears, shields and poised blowtubes and bows. Also they were able to tame Gorillas which were massiv fighting units. Undead Gorillas are even stronger than normal ones and probably one of the most powerful monster units the vampire pirates got in their roaster.

classical warhammer figures, see note for more information

Design which i would prefer

Sea battles and new sea mechanics.

Ships should completely change the gameplay. At the moment it takes like 8 Turn to get from Ulthuan to mid Lustria. With a ship it should be possible to reach it in 3. Also on ships the troops do not suffer that much from losses. Beside the extra mobility Ships are the main transport for trading routes. Use ships to either defend them or to attack them.

Strategic world map

Trading and Transport routes
    The new world (or the Old one in Mortal empires) offers so many regions which need to be conquered, why is the sea that important? With the extension, resources and trading become highly important for the rising of your empire. At least, it gives you a huge advantage in growing faster and keeps control over your cities. Beside other diplomatic options alliances will forge and break by goods which the parties are offering. The main transports for this goods or resources are ships. Note that all of these resources need to be transferred, if traded or just transported towards your home town. Some can even be transported by land and attacking these routes on land or sea will give you beside the money a part of the transported resources. That’s why it is necessary to defend your transport routes.
    Building resources like wood, stone or iron or tools will increase the growth rate dramatically. Food is increasing your growth rates but also increases the public order. Drugs like wine or beer or tobacco make your people happy and also increase your income. Certain races have higher needs for certain resources. Some (special) resources can even only be produced by certain races. The better you are in getting these needed resources , by trade or conquering needed regions, the faster your race is growing and is stable for public disorder. Certain races can even higher certain effects by offering the public more than normal amounts of the resource, like the Bretones(offering more food, will increase the peasant counter) or Skaven can increase the rations.

Ship production
    Ships can be produced in cities with harbors; maybe they even need a certain facility in the region for creating certain ships. When they are produced, they were set into the city. A full fleet consists of 10 ships. You need to assign a Lord unit as their admiral if you want them to leave the harbor. The city is still open for placing land units into the city. If the city is sieged, no ship can leave the harbor, if the city is conquered; the new faction gets control over the fleet. A fleet in a harbor is not as expansive as on the sea. Probably you pay just a quarter of it, as long they are only harbored
    Note that in the Warhammer II map, trading routes towards the old world faction exist. They are not shown on the map, but they have some trading routes and diplomatic influence into the Warhammer II world. In the Mortal Empires Campaign this is off course not necessary.

Sea battles /real time strategy

Artstyle/possible units
    I keep it short, there are many posts already about possible ships and sea fights and I do not need to present the work of others again. I prefer to put one with good ideas about this as a link into this post.
    Because there are that many ships in the table top games for every race in the game, it might be impossible to see them appear in a free content update for everyone. Like previously mentioned, I would like to see thissuggestion more as a big content DLC/expansion, rather than single race/content packs. Therefore, I would like to see one big sea fight expansion pack, with the additional earlier mentioned pirate factions. Note that some of the units would be in the game but are not producible/controllable unless you start the ‘Mortal Empires Campaign’ as the appropriate race. Anyway, in my opinion it would be great if you would be able to hijack certain Ships; about this topic later.
    As kind of blueprint I prefer models of the “man o war”, plague fleet and sea of blood series. Some of them are rather grotesque and need some redesign since I think the design is not fitting in the Totalwar Game anymore: I prefer ships and monsters, but not a sea monster with a whole castle on its back… Also, I really like the over dimensioned art style of Warhammer, but the Ships need to be in plausible, consistent relations. A ship carrying two cannons as big as the whole ship is not what I want to see. Bigger ships than smaller boats were preferable. Anyway I think I post a few pictures of ships and models I would really like to see in the game. Everyone else is also invited to so.

dwarf ships

skaven ships

highelve galleon

Imperial frigate(?)

General Battle mechanics
    Sea fights were quite complex in previous Total War Games and unfortunately too confusing to use your units efficiently. Even though Warhammer is known for massive battles, I would prefer to see ship battles with fewer ships (but very big ones) and more tactical features. With magic, gigantic waves and storms arising and sea monsters which all are annihilating for your fleet if you do not pay attention. Having said this, battles mustn’t look boring. Every infantry unit (and unsettled infantry) of the boarded troops will assist you in the fight plus every marine troop which are given directly by the ship. All flying units were also fully functional in the battlefield. As well as Marines and infantry units that can be placed at boats(which do not count as shipunits) as well if you like so. Means even though you will not directly see hundreds of ships facing each other, the fight between the few in battle is still massive. I would recommend, directly at the start of the battle you have 5 Ships, after losing one, or retreating one, you get access of 5 additional ships which will enter the combat one after the other. A full fleet consist of 10 ships. You can choose in which order they will come, which people are boarded on what ships (before the battle), and from where they were directed into the battlefield. Note that your ships even if they are destroyed, stay a bit on the battlefield since they sank not that quickly.
    Why not bigger battles? I prefer huge ships over smaller ones because of their tactical control and options. Bigger battles (with more ships) would lead to uncontrolled maneuvers with unused potential of certain ships (ramming might not be possible when it’s blocked by other ships. If you higher the dimensions of the combat, some ships automatically will become smaller and less usefull. we are unable to watch infantry combat in details which I would totally miss. In addition, some ships in the Warhammer universe are that big, that the dimensions of smaller boats fall out of significance. Think of a black ark facing a smaller frigate.

Battle resources/mechanics
    Your main battle resources are crew capacity and ship integrity. Losing one, means losing the ship. Ships can be attacked with cannons, or be rammed reducing its ship integrity. By certain ammunition types or entering a ship and attacking its crew, you reduce the crew capacity. After losing a minimum of crew capacity, the ship is lost and can be captured. If the Ship is losing all of its integrity, it sinks or maybe even explodes. By shooting the masts or the rear of the ship, you might disable its full control.
    Monsters
    Certain races like the vampire pirates, are able to use sea monsters or other naval units like big kraken, to attack the enemy force without attacking them with ships. These monsters do not count towards your ship limit, but your general unit count.
    Underwater units
    Submarines or some ships of the vampire pirates can be cloaked under water. Appearing right in the battle without the enemy knowing.

Ship hijacking
    Ships are classified as magical, classical and technical. Flying ships or ships firing with magical cannons or giving certain magical buffs are magical, classical ships carry cannons or ballista and technical ships are in possessions of motors, highly developed canons and other stuff. E.g. Skaven and Dwarf ships are mostly technical. After a battle certain races can conquer the surviving ships of the enemy. But note that certain races are not able to understand the technology. Pirates of Sartosa and maybe the Empire can conquer any type of ship but elves or bretones are not common with the technology of dwarfs. Is the faction unable to use the certain type of boat, it can be only cannibalized. In this case you gain extra money for doing so and repair your own ships.

Legendary ships
    Legendary commanders sometimes have a legendary ship: Wulfrik the Wanderer, or Blackheart for example. If they reached a certain level, they can build their special ship. Like legendary units, this ships are very hard to defeat.

Sartosa
    Blackheart is given a legendary ship just from the start. Making him able to start early conquering the sea. Unlike other ships, this ship will be upgraded and improved as he wins sea battles and cannibalize ships of the enemies. From 8 canons it rapidly grows to 12, 16, 24, sometimes Blackheart is tired of counting them. With improved armor, a better and better trained crew, possible this ship becomes the best of all in the Great Ocean.
    Beside that, Sartosa is giving higher incomes after sea battles, allowing them to conquer every ship, and is able to not just repair their ships with the enemy fleet, but also improve their own to an extent that they gain extra experience by wrecking up the sieged fleet. Also by using Heroes which might be called ‘Tidemages’ they can turn the wind in their own advantage, which allow them to sail always with the wind or can arise hurricanes setting the enemies boats out of control. Since they are nearly born on the sea, Nature Catastrophes like giant waves do not cause that much damage at them. Their ships are quickly and their crew is quite good trained in boarding manoeuvers. Besides that, Sartosa ships are quite diverse and have a ship for nearly every situation.

Vampire Coast
    The undead version of pirates is very sneaky at the sea. Ships can arise out of the nothing, With the Siren and other Nautica units; the Vampire pirates can control their army directly at the Sea fights as well as on land. The giant monsters like the Kraken can pull down whole ships. Their flying units like the ghost ships are not only terrifying to see, but also flexible and immune against harsh tides. Their magical canons can perform devastating damage.
    I hope everyone enjoyed the idea and might to see something similar in Warhammer II. If someone may correct me because I made huge lore mistakes, please correct me. Otherwise I really would like to see someone else to add more details to it if he wants. Thank you for reading.

a kraken crushing a Skaven ship

cavalry unit which can be used in sea and land battles
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Registered Users Posts: 2,009
  • doclumbagodoclumbago Registered Users Posts: 1,849
    Yes please.
    What about Slayer Pirates?
  • DracoknightDracoknight Registered Users Posts: 281
    Well well well, now this is the right stuff i can stay behind.
    But i have a bad feeling the lack of naval combat is a mix of bad scheduling and possible lisence issues with the Man'o War videogame.
    edited October 2017
    All this is a fantasy for us in and of itself for the warhammer series. :lol:
    Hope CA sees these posts. Very well said and presented.
    edited October 2017
    about this mano of war corsair game :

honestly , this "Man'o war game corsair game" is crap.... and thats what i meant with over dimensionized unrealistic ship. Honestly i can't take a 'ship' serious which is a castle on a swimming seamonsters.... This game is the embodiment of licence trash

Seriously, some ideas are quite interesting, airships or other flying ships( this ship with the wings just look like it was created by a 3 year old) are not that bad. But the implementation is just horrible. I can't explain how i dislike the game :D...

Please CA do better....
    Post edited by Zerca on
    edited October 2017
    forgot to post the note about the pygmy... sorry the post was too long and i needed to split it up in many.

Note

about Pygmy
    The pygmy army was highly discussed in the 80's because Games workshop gave the table top figures a racist sterotyping look. Like I wanted to show in the pictures beneath, this artstyle migt to be changed in a way, that the units perfectly fit into our understand of an acient african culture circle setted into the Warhammer world. Some people rumor, that the Lizardmen were like the subsitute of the pygmy faction to avoid any racism debate about black people in the game.
    If they were implemented as a dangerous, exotic culture in the southlands, I think that this would show more cultural awareness.

Also note, that I do not want see them all as a canibalistic culture. It might be possible to implement many tribes of the pygmy which are fighting the ones which are performing canibalism inducing a completly new story of the faction. Unfortunately, the Vampire Pirates , heard of the canibalistic tribe and try to get control/forge an aliance with them.
    Zerca said:

about this mano of war corsair game :

honestly , this "Man'o war game corsair game" is crap.... and thats what i meant with over dimensionized unrealistic ship. Honestly i can't take a 'ship' serious which is a castle on a swimming seamonsters.... This game is the embodiment of licence trash

Seriously, some ideas are quite interesting, airships or other flying ships( this ship with the wings just look like it was created by a 3 year old) are not that bad. But the implementation is just horrible. I can't explain how i dislike the game :D...

Please CA do better....

Oh please man, this is warhammer. The ships are crazy in functionality and design. That's what will make naval battles in TW so interesting, before they go back to normal historical naval battles. I think CA would agree with you about ships on top of sea monsters. The lizardmen have temple ships instead of riding giant turtles.
    lol
    It would be amusing.
    edited October 2017
    for the lizard men i wish me a lot sea sauruses. but they need to be in a away plausible if you know what i mean :D. I could also imagine they are able to bring in huge devasting sea monsters, able to crash a ship like a kraken.
    KGpoopy said:

Oh please man, this is warhammer. The ships are crazy in functionality and design. That's what will make naval battles in TW so interesting, before they go back to normal historical naval battles. I think CA would agree with you about ships on top of sea monsters. The lizardmen have temple ships instead of riding giant turtles.

Nothing wrong with crazy functionality. But I want a plausible fiction if you know what i mean :D. Warhammer has a lot of potential to have interesting naval combat. Also: With 'tide magic' you might directly take advantage of the environment, leading to exciting sea combats. That's why I want sea fights in warhammer so bad.

The Sartosa and Vampire coast is really convincing. Of course it would be really fully appreciated with naval features.
    "Last but not least, when Harkon is ready to sail over the Great Ocean, he might be able to get access to Pygmy Units. Pygmies are settled in the jungles of the Southlands. They use Spears, shields and poised blowtubes and bows. Also they were able to tame Gorillas which were massiv fighting units. Undead Gorillas are even stronger than normal ones and probably one of the most powerful monster units the vampire pirates got in their roaster."

Who is Harkon? and who are the dark skinned folk?Aesthetically they might be well fitted with Amazons to bulk up the roster. Of course if Amazons allow men to be in their army.
    edited October 2017
    Luther Harkon, the vampirelord ruling the Vampire Coast. Sorry in the post i mixed a bit the names. Hope it is not confusing. Here is an article about him : http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Luthor_Harkon

Amazons are part of the Lustria continent, the "south" of the southlands do not possess an human race(in the north we have araby). I am not an expert about the minor faction but i think they are not that friendly towards men :smiley:
    httpwarhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Amazons

I could imagine them as a single faction, a small dlc, or as part of some kind of mercenary units of the pirates and in the world as some kind of unplayable faction. As soon we got the units(models), i think the further implementation of subraces is not a problem, this also counts for the earlier asked slayer pirates... even though they might not be playable directly(i think mods could handle that). I lost a link of some kind of game description in which amazons were assigned as mercenary units of the dogs of war.
    Post edited by Zerca on
    I recently read a little bit about Aislinn the Sea lord. For an big expansion it might be interesting to see more stuff for the already given races. Aislinn would be a Highelf Legendary Commander which is the leader of the high elven fleet. He might get a lot advantages in Naval Fight and cost reduction for its ships. Eventhough the Pirate factions might be good at sea, they are not invicible. Giving the High elves a good chance to persist in naval combat.

Skaven might also be good at sea, but I haven't read about it. Might be interesting to see a pirate - rat... - anyway i leave that for someone who is more into skaven :)

Dark elves might have quite average ships, but their black arks, are the most powerful ships in the game, atleast from the perspective of mancount and ship integrity

like mentioned before, the lizardmen might not have big ships but giant dinosaur like sea monsters. They are mostly in to destroying enemy ships, not into conquering them.
  • ChaosDragonBornChaosDragonBorn Registered Users Posts: 1,487
    edited November 2017
    In my naval battles thread me and some other folks were looking around in the database and found these. Although it never amounted to anything sadly.

Dwarf ships:
    "Monitor"
    "Dreadnaught"
    "Ironclad"

Vampire Counts ships:

"Griefship"
    "Vargalley"
    "Direwolf Ship"

Empire:

"Wolf Ship"
    "Great Ship"
    "War Galley"

Chaos:

"Norscan Longship"
    "Bloodship"
    "Deathgalley"

Greenskins:

"Bigchukka"
    "Drillakilla"
    "Hulk"

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,160

In my naval battles thread me and some other folks were looking around in the database and found these. Although it never amounted to anything sadly.

Dwarf ships:
    "Monitor"
    "Dreadnaught"
    "Ironclad"

Vampire Counts ships:

"Griefship"
    "Vargalley"
    "Direwolf Ship"

Empire:

"Wolf Ship"
    "Great Ship"
    "War Galley"

Chaos:

"Norscan Longship"
    "Bloodship"
    "Deathgalley"

Greenskins:

"Bigchukka"
    "Drillakilla"
    "Hulk"

You dug these out of where now??! Please tell me it was official!
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Bring back proper naval battles CA!!!
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Wyvax said:

Dwarf ships:
    "Monitor"
    "Dreadnaught"
    "Ironclad"

Vampire Counts ships:

"Griefship"
    "Vargalley"
    "Direwolf Ship"

Empire:

"Wolf Ship"
    "Great Ship"
    "War Galley"

Chaos:

"Norscan Longship"
    "Bloodship"
    "Deathgalley"

Greenskins:

"Bigchukka"
    "Drillakilla"
    "Hulk"

Those are official, but they were never used. They still sit there in the database. Modders usually spot things like this.
  • ChaosDragonBornChaosDragonBorn Registered Users Posts: 1,487
    Wyvax said:

Dwarf ships:
    "Monitor"
    "Dreadnaught"
    "Ironclad"

Vampire Counts ships:

"Griefship"
    "Vargalley"
    "Direwolf Ship"

Empire:

"Wolf Ship"
    "Great Ship"
    "War Galley"

Chaos:

"Norscan Longship"
    "Bloodship"
    "Deathgalley"

Greenskins:

"Bigchukka"
    "Drillakilla"
    "Hulk"

I hope they use them in the future. Could be a special auto resolve feature, or fully simulaed warhammer sea battles!

Might be interested in

Sea Monster Lore Total War: Warhammer

wow... i could imagine monsters like that for quest battles of the new factions... wow that would be amazing!
  • Ohio9Ohio9 Registered Users Posts: 278
    edited November 2017
    If I could choose any new faction/territory to add to the game it would be Cathay and Nippon. In real life, we never got to see an Asian army fight a European Army in the time period Warhammer is loosely based on, so it would be loads of fun to get to do that in TW.

And yeah they really should add naval combat to the game. Man O' War already provides the set-up so there really is no reason not to take advantage of it.
  • Lexen_RapierLexen_Rapier Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 262
    I've been wondering for a while but;

Does CA have a licence for sea battles in the Warhammer world?

GW split their licences up - and the sea battles would be covered by the Man-o-War lience (as seen above).

The licence for Warhammer (Rather than the warhammer world) would probably not include naval units - because they've never been in warhammer.

I too would like to see proper naval batles (I can't stand auto-resolve just destroying my armies because the computer always wins on legendary).

I've been wondering for a while but;

Does CA have a licence for sea battles in the Warhammer world?

GW split their licences up - and the sea battles would be covered by the Man-o-War lience (as seen above).

The licence for Warhammer (Rather than the warhammer world) would probably not include naval units - because they've never been in warhammer.

I too would like to see proper naval batles (I can't stand auto-resolve just destroying my armies because the computer always wins on legendary).

Naval battles are mentioned in the lore, but no specific unit. That's were man o war and dreadfleet comes in. But the mentions of naval fighting in the lore is enough to create sea battles and ships I think. But GW can give the thumbs up for literally anything. Dreadfleet ships, man o war ships, all up for use and concepts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file