Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What is the fascination with Boris Todbringer?

PappyTronPappyTron Posts: 853Registered Users
As per the title, what is the fascination with Boris Todbringer as opposed to any of the other Elector Counts? I don't think that I have read anyone talk about Feuerbach or Gausser et al, who are just as interesting as Todbringer in my humble opinion.
"We’ve been playtesting the **** out of every one of the 35 factions on all the difficulty settings"

Comments

• StephinceStephince Posts: 2,337Registered Users
    He has one eye and a cool helmet
  • RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Posts: 598Registered Users
    He's basically a meme on this site at this point.
  • PileOBonesPileOBones Posts: 24Registered Users
    Stephince said:

Yes, that seems to be a major problem for the Empire...... All their captains have only one eye as well.

Either eye-patches are THE fashion craze in the Empire, or they seriously need to rework their health and safety regulations when playing with sharp pointy sticks or other pointy weapons!! ;)
  • Neolucifer2000Neolucifer2000 Junior Member Posts: 956Registered Users
    PappyTron said:

As per the title, what is the fascination with Boris Todbringer as opposed to any of the other Elector Counts? I don't think that I have read anyone talk about Feuerbach or Gausser et al, who are just as interesting as Todbringer in my humble opinion.

because his is the true emperor compared to the pretender karl franz....

In reality its because he is the other "culture" of the empire having faith not in sigmar but in Ulric....kinda like kislev, it is its own thing.

Demand more love for Empire and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Built-in RoR like Hochland Long Rifles and Knightly orders! Doombull, Wargor, Ghorgon, Jabberslythe, Tuskboar chariot and God-specific Gors! #MakeOldWorldGreatAgain
  • HexiHexi Posts: 1,096Registered Users
    Because he's not playable in the campaign. If he was, nobody would care.
    There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt
  • BardicInquisitionBardicInquisition Posts: 752Registered Users
    From my pov, it's not really what Boris Todbringer himself brings to the table that makes people interested in or clamour for him.

It's the possibility that with his implementation, a Middenland army that includes Teutogen Guard, Knights of the White Wolf, Priests of Ulric, Knights Panther, Wolf-kin, etc might come along, not to mention a new start pos without requiring one of the Reiklander LLs to be moved arbitrarily to usurp some other Elector Count. Middenland was one of the few Elector Provinces in the Empire to have received their own army list from the now defunct Storm of Chaos supplement (also seen in lore) that at least gave them a distinct aesthetic and "feel". compared to the default "Reikland" Empire army.

Do Feuerbach (Talabecland) or Gausser (Nordland) bring along an interesting Elector Province army with a notably distinct look and culture? Not as much as Middenland to be honest. Hell, I'd even say besides Marius Leitdorf himself, Averland's army doesn't have much going for them either (but then they were supposedly going to get their own unique units in an upcoming Forgeworld supplement of the Battle of Blackfire Pass where Marius was killed, but alas never came to be). The only other non-Reiklander Empire army that can match Middenland in distinct design is Nuln/Wissenland, but only because they're the gun army that Forgeworld helped flesh out.

There's also the fact that Boris already has a unique model ingame and leads a skeleton Middenland in multiplayer battles, which many see as a faction that's "almost there" and would just require a little more polishing to be made playable, compared to the other Elector Counts who don't even have a multiplayer battle presence or a unique model (looking at you poor Marius).
  • MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 1,949Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    Because he is the most potential LL and subfaction for Empire. Ohh... I like his hat too. :D
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    -Because Boris is in every part of the game except the campaign. :lol:
    -People want Middenland (Cult of Ulric)
    -New Start Position
    Post edited by KGpoopy on
  • hendo1592hendo1592 Posts: 1,461Registered Users
    Have you even ever looked into his eye? It’s capsizing.
  • PTreePTree Posts: 222Registered Users
    He will be released, along with a Middenland faction and general old world upgrade with Warhammer 3 - ie storm of Choas to counter the demons and new choas, I'm pretty sure of it. So far they have followed the formula that GW used themselves with regards to releases, ie, New World etc..
  • DolorousEddDolorousEdd Junior Member Posts: 555Registered Users
    IDK. But I like the version of him that has red hair. I don't think I would fully enjoy a Boris Todbringer with white/grey hair, should he ever be released.
    Team Dwarfs
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Crooked Moon
    Team Cult of Pleasure
    Team Clan Pestilens
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 6,146Registered Users
    Stephince said:

If that's the case then I should be a LL for the Empire in TWWH.

My patch is more stylish.
  • VladdyVladdy Posts: 210Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    Dont forget that in the end of time, middenheim and boris keep fighting way more than altdorf. A light of hope in the dark. True epic stuff.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,434Registered Users, Moderators
    Empire needs another start position for Empire. Boris is basically only missing Quest Battles, but we do not get him added. I would rather have Marius Leitdorf of course, but Boris is pretty much finished already.

The Red Duke is in a similar situation with Mousillon.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • SultschiemSultschiem Posts: 1,463Registered Users
    Boris in Middenland would be a boring second start.

With Mortal Empires, I would rather like to see someone starting in Sudenburg or the New World Colonies. Sudenburg is especially interesting, since you can face the vampire of the strigoi and nercarch faction as well as skaven, lizardmen and later tomb kings and araby pretty early on.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Posts: 12,434Registered Users, Moderators

With Mortal Empires, I would rather like to see someone starting in Sudenburg or the New World Colonies. Sudenburg is especially interesting, since you can face the vampire of the strigoi and nercarch faction as well as skaven, lizardmen and later tomb kings and araby pretty early on.

Boring, yes, but doable for those who want Co-op. Same could be said about Ungrim in Karak Kadrin.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -The "Spam" flag is not a "disagree" flag. Have a care.
    -...No, no the "Abuse" flag isn't a "disagree" flag either!
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • MatmannenMatmannen Senior Member Posts: 1,235Registered Users
    There are a couple of cool units that would be released with him.
  • BrakierBrakier Posts: 1,520Registered Users
    Couse he is handsome

• LarboLarbo Junior Member Posts: 147Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    Brakier said:

Couse he is handsome

Think you misspelled that:
    "`Cause hes had some." ;-)
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    Because Boris is one of the more badass elector counts, with a tragic backstory and a grim obsession with Beastmen. He was the only candidate to pose a threat to Karl Franz for the nomination of Emperor (he only lost because the cult of sigmar had 3 votes for Franz, which is complete BS). Also having him will unlock these:

- new empire subfaction and start position
    - new army color scheme (I am sick of the red and white of the empire)
    - people are hoping for the cult of Ulric implemented alog with him
    - possibility of multiplayer
    - being at the forefront of Norscan raids
  • TumbleTumble Posts: 401Registered Users
    The appeal is just that it's the closest thing to a new empire subfaction and start position, which is long overdue. They added a unique model for him so the fandom and speculation just went on and on from there.
  • BardicInquisitionBardicInquisition Posts: 752Registered Users

Sudenburg isn't even on the Mortal Empires Campaign map anymore.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Posts: 2,831Registered Users
    edited October 2017
    He is a counterpart to Karl Franz, he goes from being Franz's biggest rival to his strongest supporter.

Middenland could also get their own unique roster.
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Posts: 836Registered Users
    Canuovea said:

Boring, yes, but doable for those who want Co-op. Same could be said about Ungrim in Karak Kadrin.
    I think it would be very different with vampires on your doorstep and being closer to Chaos.
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Posts: 1,381Registered Users
    "Mortal Empires" campaign has 35 legit legendary lords, yet CA shows Todbringer. It's either a hint or a top-tier trolling.
    edited October 2017
    Debauchee said:

"Mortal Empires" campaign has 35 legit legendary lords, yet CA shows Todbringer. It's either a hint or a top-tier trolling.

They confirmed it was not a hint, just a wrong choice in showcasing the trailer.
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Posts: 1,381Registered Users
    Trolltastic!
  • PaulHPaulH Posts: 1,185Registered Users
    Marius Leitdorf has vastly more potential as an interesting LL to give the Empire some diversity in playstyle. Boris is pretty straight-laced compared to him, he's pretty much a gruff one-eyed man with a hatred for beastmen. Leitdorf has vastly more enemies to fight; angry bretonnians, bee swarms, forests, imaginary fishmen, halfling scum and greenskins. Far more fun!
    PaulH said:

Marius Leitdorf has vastly more potential as an interesting LL to give the Empire some diversity in playstyle. Boris is pretty straight-laced compared to him, he's pretty much a gruff one-eyed man with a hatred for beastmen. Leitdorf has vastly more enemies to fight; angry bretonnians, bee swarms, forests, imaginary fishmen, halfling scum and greenskins. Far more fun!

If he ever makes it into the game, I want the option to give his horse a title in the office tree!