Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

An Update on our Upcoming Historical Releases

Comments

• MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIPosts: 7,162Registered Users
    mw51630 said:

I mean, it's possible I'm wrong. But I'm probably not.

I would say the same. Again, the proof should be in the pudding very soon, since they hope to announce the SAGA soon, and the expansion must come first.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
  • MorkMork Posts: 239Registered Users
    Suliot said:

Mork said:

So, updated guess

DLC for Rome 2

Boudiccas rebellion or the Roman invasion of Britain.

Total war saga

The Vikings 793 onwards, maybe using the Attila engine.

New total war game

1500-1700.

This, except for the Rome 2 DLC. I don't think it's going to be about Boadicea, the artwork they showed months ago featured a Germanic warrior with a Cherusci pattern on his shield. So the DLC will probably be about Arminius and the Germanic Rebellion of 9 AD.

And yeah if the artwork they showed today is indeed for the next major historical title, then it means it will be set in the Renaissance Era, not in China as previously expected.
    That might be another possibility. The rebellion of Arminius and others around 9 AD

Well, guess we will just have to wait and be patient.
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users
    I reckon the new DLC is for Rome 2. What it'll involve I have no idea!

My dream is that the Saga game will be focused on Anglo-Saxon Britain - forging kingdoms and viking invasions sounds fun. I really enjoyed Age of Charlemagne and it'd be great to build on that.

My guess for the main historical title is 1600-1700, or thereabouts. Maybe 1500-1750 to fit in Elizabethan England and the seven years war. Lots of war, lots of religious strife, lots of political change, lots of technological advancement, not been covered before. Think it could be great fun. Renaissance, reformation, gunpowder, English Civil War - lots of scope for a deep and immersive campaign.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Posts: 1,749Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Mattzo said:

My dream is that the Saga game will be focused on Anglo-Saxon Britain - forging kingdoms and viking invasions sounds fun. I really enjoyed Age of Charlemagne and it'd be great to build on that.

My guess for the main historical title is 1600-1700, or thereabouts. Maybe 1500-1750 to fit in Elizabethan England and the seven years war. Lots of war, lots of religious strife, lots of political change, lots of technological advancement, not been covered before. Think it could be great fun. Renaissance, reformation, gunpowder, English Civil War - lots of scope for a deep and immersive campaign.

Deep immersive gameplay don't get ahead of yourself there. This is just an expansion so it will play like whatever game it's tied in to ;)
    Died during the great YOYO wars
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomPosts: 1,433Registered Users

Mattzo said:

Deep immersive gameplay don't get ahead of yourself there. This is just an expansion so it will play like whatever game it's tied in to ;)
    Try reading things again - I was talking about the next 'proper' historical title. Only the campaign pack is directly tied to a previous game, and the Saga game may well be related to a previous game but is standalone.
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Posts: 1,749Registered Users
    Oooo ooops then maybe we can hope
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Question:

What are the new information we learned?

Release date?
    Which game its made for?
    Time period?
    jamreal18 said:

Question:

Release date?
    Which game its made for?
    Time period?

As far as I'm aware, the expansion was unknown. We got more information on the SAGA, namely that it will be announced "relatively soon" and that there is an expansion that will come out sooner than SAGA for an "older game".

We know nothing about a hard release date, the games either are for/based on, or time periods, but speculation is for Hungarian/Ottoman conflict for the expansion, Viking Invasion for the SAGA/expansion, and Alexander for the SAGA.
    jamreal18 said:

Question:

Release date?
    Which game its made for?
    Time period?

We didn't really learn to much just teased and a picture to speculate over

Also "Fear the Crow"

Some people claim that means the Viking raven banner

Some others think it means the Hungarian King John Hunyadi.

I personally think it's John because the picture looks like a bunch Polish soldiers standing around.

As for your original questions none of those were answered yet
  • cuddlechickencuddlechicken Posts: 4Registered Users
    SiWI said:

nodulous said:

I wouldn't mind knowing what "whole area of the game" was being looked at?

that probably will be the big "bomb" that CA uses to kick off its main marketing effort for that game.

I wouldn't suspect that to happen till WH 3 is released.
    You do realize all 3 historical games mentioned are supposed to release before Wahammer 3?

You do realize all 3 historical games mentioned are supposed to release before Wahammer 3?

Where is the support for this assertion?
  • Ice_creamIce_cream Posts: 731Registered Users

SiWI said:

nodulous said:

that probably will be the big "bomb" that CA uses to kick off its main marketing effort for that game.

Nobody except you suppose that new proper historical title will be launched before TWW3. The DLC and the Saga title are there for a reason.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    One thing I noticed. No new relevant information.

We know already that a campaign is coming.
    We know already that Saga will work like Fall of Samurai.
    We know already that historical will feature new time period.

What fresh new information was revealed?

So after the blog, we are still speculating.
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • NormandymasterNormandymaster Senior Member Posts: 159Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Very good news at last I will have soon a real tw game to play!

My guess:

The expansion is for medieval 2 more likely Balkans it may be released in 2017?

Then the saga I bet more for Rome 2 in spring?

The next big historical game will be the 19th with a world map released fall 2018?

And I think TW Warhammer 3 won't get released before spring 2019
  • VessingerVessinger Senior Member Posts: 936Registered Users

SiWI said:

nodulous said:

The Saga and DLC are a safe bet, but I'm not too sure about the new era title. The TWW team get to recycle quite a few assets, but the new era title had to be built from scratch from the sounds of it.

On the other hand, they did sound like they're putting the finishing touches on what I'm going to abbreviate as the NETW. So we could probably see it out by this time next year.

TWW2 was just released, and I'm sure they're going to want a year or two of milking DLC out of it before getting TWW3 out. Barring any major development setbacks on NETW, you might be right.
  • GamgeeGamgee Senior Member Posts: 1,803Registered Users
    edited November 2017

My guess:

The next big historical game will be the 19th with a world map released fall 2018?

They said a recent TW Historical and Medieval 2 is not recent.

Edit
    I think next historical TW is going to take a longer dev time than usual. I get the feeling TW Warhammer series is giving them the perfect opportunity to just take some time developing one game and some new tech for it.
    Vessinger said:

TWW2 was just released, and I'm sure they're going to want a year or two of milking DLC out of it before getting TWW3 out. Barring any major development setbacks on NETW, you might be right.

They waited 18 months for Warhammer II, seems likely they'll do the same again.

It'll be Q2 19 when Warhammer III comes out, leaving a gap for the SAGA tittle to slide right on in in Q2/Q3 18, and then Q2/Q3 2020 for the next historical title.
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    1. They confirmed our guesses were right about the first screen-shot with "Saga" written on it - it is indeed the Irish coast.
    2. Beware the crow - in singular. What does this have to do with Ireland (because apparently it does). And during which time period?
    3. There is nothing to say that the new concept art picture has anything to do with Saga. There are several projects and the interview for the expansion was first, so it may relate to that.

Whatever the case, can we please please have real features - real sieges in real city layouts, cities with real population numbers, not the gimmicky representative number, some real diplomacy options and an AI that can handle it... I could go on for some time.
    Post edited by Sughdian Warrior on
  • Peron803Peron803 Posts: 22Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    "There’s a lot of people still playing this particular game, but there’s also lot more we haven’t even touched in that era yet, some really incredible stories and events that defined history."

This here points towards Rome 2 for the expansion / campaign greatly. The Roman era has alot to offer they haven't covered yet. Rome 2 has the larger of the older game player bases and their previous statement -

" Yes, and the first time we’ve gone back to a game so long after release."

Rome 2 is the older game, which still surprises me that it averages roughly double Attila's player base. By the way Historical Titles go - for a bit of side info - Medieval 2 Total War has a larger average or near equal player base to Attila TW . M2TW being 9 years older and still pulls in a larger crowd. :neutral:

Just going off the steam charts alone Rome 2 would be more profitable and still offers a huge range to work with (Not to say Attila wouldn't offer alot)
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Posts: 632Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    So this news makes it more certain than ever that Rome 2 is getting the campaign DLC. With the previous concept art hint (the Germanic Cherusci warrior) already strongly suggesting Rome 2, the confirmation that it's for an older game and the mention of a big free update to the main game makes me think they're going to go beyond my wildest dreams and retrofit some of Attila's features into Rome 2 (and probably introduce more playable Germanic factions into the grand campaign, at least the Cherusci.)

As for the Saga title, it's been implied since the beginning that it would be a spin-off of Attila. The Irish coast hint dropped earlier and the repeated mentions that its map is roughly the size of Shogun 2's would suggest a British Isles campaign. The only real question is what time period, as there are a few worthy flashpoints around that post-Roman era to pick from. I honestly don't know what the crow hint suggests, but people are saying it fits with Viking banners? That would make a lot of sense.

The new historical title is still basically a toss-up. All we know for sure is that it's a brand new era. My personal wish is WW1, but there are so many good ones to choose from.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,489Registered Users
    Peron803 said:

"There’s a lot of people still playing this particular game, but there’s also lot more we haven’t even touched in that era yet, some really incredible stories and events that defined history."

This here points towards Rome 2 for the expansion / campaign greatly. The Roman era has alot to offer they haven't covered yet. Rome 2 has the larger of the older game player bases and their previous statement -

" Yes, and the first time we’ve gone back to a game so long after release."

Rome 2 is the older game, which still surprises me that it averages roughly double Attila's player base. By the way Historical Titles go - for a bit of side info - Medieval 2 Total War has a larger average or near equal player base to Attila TW . M2TW being 9 years older and still pulls in a larger crowd. :neutral:

Just going off the steam charts alone Rome 2 would be more profitable and still offers a huge range to work with (Not to say Attila wouldn't offer alot)

it is rome 2 definitely, simply because steam db is full of updates for rome 2 and it also got 2 entries of DLC (the fisrt is the campaign pack and the second is the free-LC)
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • PhilipFPhilipF Junior Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    World War One or a more expansive early 20th Century scenario would be a timely era to visit with the Centenery of the end of WW1 coming up next year.

I feel sure the Saga will be something Britain/Scandinavia-related (probably Vikings)...

As for the DLC/expanded title...Could it be a chance to revisit Empire? A release that fell short of what it could have been at the time and maybe now is a good time to apply what's been learnt in subsequent releases, especially if a World War title is on the way, to properly expand the game to a true whole world perspective and make it a more historically satisfying experience...
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,846Registered Users
    "Norse religion is commonly refferential of Ravens? The crow must be in reference to that! They're both black birds right?"

On a serious note, IMO it is far more likely that the crow hint(Which was a hint for the SAGA, NOT the DLC by the by) was related to Ireland as the crow comes up as a common symbol in celtic relgions, and is the symbol of the goddess of Death IIRC. This also coincides with the tiny little fragment of the map that they showed matching up well with the coast near Dublin.

Of course, I am not saying that this means Saga=Ireland, and ultimately despite my pedantics it is likely that if it IS ireland, it will heavily feature the Norse and will be set around the time the Norse invade Ireland(though it could be at any time).

Personally my bets are this:

DLC: I'm betting on a Rome 2 DLC expac, bringing in some new updates and features(hopefully a family tree? Please?) focussing on something Barbarian. As to what, who knows. Also while that may have been the Cherusci symbol on that guys shield from the promo picture it should be noted that that isn't the *actual* Cherusci symbol, just a random Germanic symbol that was chosen by CA when they added the Cherusci as a faction in I believe R2? Basically, what I am saying is that the symbol means absolutely nothing while the dress should mean more.

Saga:My bets are on Ireland during the Norse Invasions OR Just in general The period around 867 with the Great Heathen Army, Alfred the Great, the Danelaw etc.

Next Historical Title: There have been basically no hints for this, and it is far, far, far, far too early to even consider betting. It could be anything. Personally, I want a China Total War game though I'd be cool with an age of Exploration game set from around 1492-1700.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,385Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Gamgee said:

My guess:

They said a recent TW Historical and Medieval 2 is not recent.

Edit
    I think next historical TW is going to take a longer dev time than usual. I get the feeling TW Warhammer series is giving them the perfect opportunity to just take some time developing one game and some new tech for it.
    this is a reason why I think that we maybe see something revolutionary in terms of TW eras...

a era which unlocks other era...

a era mentioned in the past, but also mention as require to need a new engine or a new engine to do well...

a era which to some extend break and expands tw in the same time...

thats why I think a TW WW 1 or 2 is possible.

Thou its more likely be a TW Victoria that going into the WW 1 in its "end game".
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • hanesdavhanesdav Posts: 824Registered Users
    CA_Whelan said:

With Mortal Empires released last week, there’s a hotfix on the way for that Chaos Invasion issue some people are having, plus the Foundation and Norsca update too. We want to make sure that’s sorted out before we add more Total War: WARHAMMER content.

However, in this week’s blog we wanted to take a moment to look at our Historical projects; because you’re about to hear a lot more about them.

The next year is packed with new stuff and, as we ramp up for some big announcements, I took a moment to chat with our history project directors; Maya, Jack and Janos..

Read the whole interview here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on-historical-releases
    I'm not sure if I understand it properly. This hotfix will include Norsca and foundation uptade too?
    I'm sorry but I'm not native speaker.

SiWI said:

nodulous said:

yeah as other have mention:
    there is maybe one thing, the big DLC, that gets "announce" before any WH contend.

So yeah it could very well be that in 1 week we get the announcement of the big dlcs, and that in comes in 1 1/2 months, then the next week the next LP for WH 2 gets announced coming 2 weeks before it.
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    Mmmm, so damn good to hear some news on the historical side.

My take-aways from that Q&A are...

1. Maya's team working on a big campaign for Rome II with a patch to the main game. Loads of material plus a final bit of love to clean out the last major blotch in the series.

2. Jack et al working on Viking Invasion Saga game. Did he basically admit that the bit of Irish coastline was guessed by the community correctly? Plus, beware the Crow must surely refer to the Raven Banner as other have suggested. Viking Invasion was also a favourite of modders and he makes a lot of references to its moddability.

3. New historical may well be combat-based? Janos dwells a lot on mocap, stuntmen and experts in combat animations - would all that be necessary with a modern era game? I dunno, pure speculation there but I am hyped AF whatever it is.

4. We're basically gonna get Medieval III after whichever game is in the pipeline atm :p
    hanesdav said:

CA_Whelan said:

With Mortal Empires released last week, there’s a hotfix on the way for that Chaos Invasion issue some people are having, plus the Foundation and Norsca update too. We want to make sure that’s sorted out before we add more Total War: WARHAMMER content.

However, in this week’s blog we wanted to take a moment to look at our Historical projects; because you’re about to hear a lot more about them.

The next year is packed with new stuff and, as we ramp up for some big announcements, I took a moment to chat with our history project directors; Maya, Jack and Janos..

Read the whole interview here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on-historical-releases
    I'm not sure if I understand it properly. This hotfix will include Norsca and foundation uptade too?
    I'm sorry but I'm not native speaker.
    well the most literally interpretation of what he said would mean 2 different things...

mind you that CA can bring 2 different things at the same time.
    Fredrin said:

Mmmm, so damn good to hear some news on the historical side.

My take-aways from that Q&A are...

1. Maya's team working on a big campaign for Rome II with a patch to the main game. Loads of material plus a final bit of love to clean out the last major blotch in the series.

the tease seem to scream "Varus Varus.. give back my legions!!!"

2. Jack et al working on Viking Invasion Saga game. Did he basically admit that the bit of Irish coastline was guessed by the community correctly? Plus, beware the Crow must surely refer to the Raven Banner as other have suggested. Viking Invasion was also a favourite of modders and he makes a lot of references to its moddability.

I loosely remember a statement where they said that hey had done this one before but weren't quite satisfied the the results (perhaps because of modern technology as well).
    CA has done viking invasion (M1) and also a battle special viking campaign (M2 Kingdoms).
    Maybe we see a irritation of that in some form.

3. New historical may well be combat-based? Janos dwells a lot on mocap, stuntmen and experts in combat animations - would all that be necessary with a modern era game? I dunno, pure speculation there but I am hyped AF whatever it is.

:*

Ca probably would always talk about amazing animations no matter the era.
    But I will admit that this focus mention as well previous mentions of character concepts, remind me more on a TW China, then TW Victoria or WW1/2.

4. We're basically gonna get Medieval III after whichever game is in the pipeline atm :p

thats not a suprise really is it ;)

The statement was quite old already and after this historical TW (I expect at least 1 Attila like spin of) , it will be even older...

And M2 is a beloved game, medieval is a beloved setting (arguable the thing that kept TW alive) and people are screaming for it for quite some time.

And M2 being pretty old also helps for alot of innovation room.

Even a "modernization" without real new features would make it very different from M2.
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    @SiWI - Agree to all points!

Plus a round of applause for that scene from Zulu :smile: Definitely an exception to the rule, but hand-to-hand did feature in the Victorian era.