Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

An Update on our Upcoming Historical Releases

Comments

• MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyPosts: 1,739Registered Users
    One more speculation:

The warrior on the artwork wear a CROW FEATHER crested helmet. Beware the crow?

The shield show the Rune for Tiwaz/Tyr, which is often represented with wolves.

Wolf is important for early anglosaxons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wulf

So the germanic warrior belong to the saga game?
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users

One more speculation:

Except the caption explicitly says it's for the campaign pack:

https://cdn.creative-assembly.com/total-war/com.totalwar.www/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/07144255/IMAGEFORBLOGBG-941x480.png
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyPosts: 1,739Registered Users
    That could have been done by mistake. They make a big free update for Rome II, only for a german campaign, which is a very small part of the map, only to sell with Saga anglosaxon and northgermanic warriors again? It seems to me too similar after Attila.
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    I'll be happy with whatever they come up with provided that the campaign is deep/engaging and combat has been reworked so we get genuinely epic battles instead of 5 minute blobfests. If they can recapture the immersive atmosphere of Medieval I and Rome I, then that would be a massive bonus.

Warhammer is necessarily brash and bold, but with historical games you want game design to be built around transporting you back to that point in time when the game is set. That has been sorely lacking from recent history games imo.
  • VessingerVessinger Senior Member Posts: 936Registered Users

One more speculation:

I've done some digging around and that actually looks more like Gallic/Celtic noble helms of around 54 BC, the armor as well. I'm leaning more towards this being DLC for R2, maybe having something to do with Vercingetorix. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it, for now.

• tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,386Registered Users
    Vessinger said:

One more speculation:

I've done some digging around and that actually looks more like Gallic/Celtic noble helms of around 54 BC, the armor as well. I'm leaning more towards this being DLC for R2, maybe having something to do with Vercingetorix. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it, for now.

They already did that one.
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    This is all speculation based on almost no information. The question I have is, are we to wait another 3 months to start getting actual updates with real information in them?
  • IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 604Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    jamreal18 said:

@Lord_Eldar do we get awesome animations for Victorian Era?

Check it out!

That is ancient and medieval China/East Asia and has little to nothing to do with the Victorian period (19th century). The musketeers look like they're from the Ming Dynasty or early Qing era.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,843Registered Users
    One thing to note is that they(Maya) said that the DLC for (we assume) Rome 2 is the "next Total War release". As such, we assume that we will get it before we get any Warhammer content. So, it is likely IMO that we will hear news this month. The Realm of the Wood Elves announcement came on the 17th of Novermber last year and so IMO the new DLC is likely to be annouced around then too.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,372Registered Users
    Krunch said:

One thing to note is that they(Maya) said that the DLC for (we assume) Rome 2 is the "next Total War release". As such, we assume that we will get it before we get any Warhammer content. So, it is likely IMO that we will hear news this month. The Realm of the Wood Elves announcement came on the 17th of Novermber last year and so IMO the new DLC is likely to be annouced around then too.

announced. Not release before Wh2 contend ;)
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • FornachiariFornachiari Junior Member Posts: 30Registered Users
    Possibly the new game is related to Arauco war. Also the new DLC could be for a Medieval II HD that deals with the Arauco War.

Realmento I want to see a TW that deals with this conflict of more than 300 years between Spaniards and Mapuche.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arauco_War
    tak22 said:

Vessinger said:

One more speculation:

Well, I guess someone should have told them that, because it looks like they're doing it again. Seriously though, the Gallic tribes were everywhere at this point, and Caeser in Gaul focused on a fairly specific region. Not that I'm rooting for any Gallic centric themed DLC mind you. I'd be distinctly uninterested in such a thing.

Hopefully, that's just one of many factions in the DLC.
  • JackMack10JackMack10 Posts: 114Registered Users
    I hope it's not for Attila since it runs so bad ... unless they can manage to pull a miracle, and optimize it somehow !
  • Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 513Registered Users
    Vessinger said:

tak22 said:

Vessinger said:

One more speculation:

Well, I guess someone should have told them that, because it looks like they're doing it again. Seriously though, the Gallic tribes were everywhere at this point, and Caeser in Gaul focused on a fairly specific region. Not that I'm rooting for any Gallic centric themed DLC mind you. I'd be distinctly uninterested in such a thing.

Hopefully, that's just one of many factions in the DLC.
    Needless to say I'm a huge fan of Gallic history .. however CA's Caesar Gaul campaign was disappointing imho. For such a great setting the execution was pretty bland, offering little in terms of new gameplay, cultural or emotional immersion.

I just hope they make future tittles gritty and immersive.

Render the graphics to look as real as possible (none of this stylised / artistic shader crap).

Bring back the throne room and depict historical settings, culture and (if possible language) with as much detail and accuracy as possible.

Witcher III type Role play - Add cutscenes for pivotable moments and provide players with some RPG type choices in the heat of the moment. Roll this into improved diplomacy and internal governance decisions. Improve the relationship matrix so events and actions become more personal.

Make the player / AI give a stuff when backstabbing and raiding lands. Have messengers / survivors give reports of the horror. Provide scenes where your diplomats visit enemy leaders, both thrones and forces in the field. Trade and treaty negotiations. Have messengers / spys report intrusions / discovery of enemy armies. Do the same for sieges, provide opportunity for leaders to exchange insults, terms, etc.

Allow players to customise unit names, standards, training, patrons (gods, saints, etc) and equipment / appearance.

In short, provide more than the standard TW battles, map and nominal pop-up text. Whilst the legacy model served well in the past, it is extremely dated for today's gamer.

Create a world and draw the gamer into it.

my2bob
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 1,162Registered Users
    Needless to say I'm a huge fan of Gallic history .. however CA's Caesar Gaul campaign was disappointing imho. For such a great setting the execution was pretty bland, offering little in terms of new gameplay, cultural or emotional immersion.

I just hope they make future tittles gritty and immersive.

Render the graphics to look as real as possible (none of this stylised / artistic shader crap).

Bring back the throne room and depict historical settings, culture and (if possible language) with as much detail and accuracy as possible.

Witcher III type Role play - Add cutscenes for pivotable moments and provide players with some RPG type choices in the heat of the moment. Roll this into improved diplomacy and internal governance decisions. Improve the relationship matrix so events and actions become more personal.

Make the player / AI give a stuff when backstabbing and raiding lands. Have messengers / survivors give reports of the horror. Provide scenes where your diplomats visit enemy leaders, both thrones and forces in the field. Trade and treaty negotiations. Have messengers / spys report intrusions / discovery of enemy armies. Do the same for sieges, provide opportunity for leaders to exchange insults, terms, etc.

Allow players to customise unit names, standards, training, patrons (gods, saints, etc) and equipment / appearance.

In short, provide more than the standard TW battles, map and nominal pop-up text. Whilst the legacy model served well in the past, it is extremely dated for today's gamer.

Create a world and draw the gamer into it.

my2bob

Fully support this. WH2 vortex movies and dilemma's was a step in the right direction. Really added something with regard to atmosphere. story etc.
  • BrakierBrakier Posts: 1,522Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Attila and rome 2 is the latest two historical titels ca has put out, that dosent sound old to me imo, old to me is like rome 1 or empire.

• hanesdavhanesdav Posts: 802Registered Users
    Brakier said:

Attila and rome 2 is the latest two historical titels ca has put out, that dosent sound old to me imo, old to me is like rome 1 or empire.

I agree. They once stated that the Rome 2 is the biggest they have ever done. This will probably dissapoint Empire TW players because I saw few post with statemenst like ETW is the biggest but that's not true. It has the biggest part of Earth but number of settlements and factions make it smaller than Rome 2. Everything older than ETW doesn't make sence. Shogun 2 and Napoleon are too small. Attila and Rome 2 are remaining. Size of Attila TW map is similar to Rome 2. It's hard to tell which one. I believe in Rome 2 because it still requires some patching. There are many unfixed thing. Testudos and other formations don't work properly. Cavarly is too weak and can't fight effectively even when attacking units from the rear. I will just mention naval battles because they have too many problems . Slingers and peasant level of archers are murdering units with big shields and armor ( units in testudo formation included ). Attila is just perfect. Cavarly can be considered too strong but that's all. They were saying that they will uptade this unknown title but Attila doesn't need any major uptades meanwhile Rome 2 relly needs some improvements.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Very Nice!

Another speculation thread, very nice!

P.S.
    Guys, before your speculation gets derailed, dont forget the description of Sagas

Eras (massive major releases in the series)
    Characters (spin-offs from Eras based on famous historical individuals)
    Sagas (spin-offs from Eras based on pivotal historical events)

Many assume viking but they dont have connection from latest Era title made by CA which is Rome2.

*VIKINGS is better if its made expansion for Medieval 3.
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • sertoserto Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
  • Tenerife_BoyTenerife_Boy Member Posts: 348Registered Users
    Something about Alexander or Succesors <3 A proper hoplon shield grip, rework of the politics and family trees...bigger scaled ships as they look micro machine vessels right now...

• Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    Darren just posted a video about the latest blog post. He expects we will see something come out in a few weeks, i.e. before the end of the year. I sure hope that is the case.
  • eXistenZ2eXistenZ2 Senior Member Posts: 579Registered Users

Darren just posted a video about the latest blog post. He expects we will see something come out in a few weeks, i.e. before the end of the year. I sure hope that is the case.

Lost count of the amount of times he said "speculation", "probably", "I think", "I hope". it doesnt give anything new

Only thing he said is that there will be an announcement on the dlc in two weeks. no idea where he gets that idea. CA hasnt done a proper announcement for months, why would they do two in 3 weeks?
  • brossy4411brossy4411 WyomingPosts: 5Registered Users
    I predict that it is Empire Total War. My reasoning is that there were so many complaints when they moved onto Napoleon. Ultimately you felt like they didn't finish Empire and there was so much potential to Empire and then came Napoleon, which felt like the same kind of game. I think finishing Empire, improving the game play, maybe adding a Theatre or two would be nice. Plus so many wars in the near era, like Thirty Days War or more.
  • mishu_warriormishu_warrior Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    As I said some time ago, the saga game will be "Total War : 1066". Now I have no doubts!
    The clues they gave us about time and place match with that and now we have the crow...
    Look at the Bayeux Tapestry (related to the Battle of Hastings), one of the most important artworks of the middle ages...the crow appears 3 times in the tapestry and stays for Harold Godwinson.
    IMO the intro of the new game will focus on the Tapestry.

I would exclude Viking invasion or similar for many reasons: e.g. I can't see any turning point...1066 is doubtless a turning point; oh, and 1066 is not character based, as there are at least 3 main characters involveved!
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    ^ Yep, no surprises there!

I did enjoy the theories about a Medieval II expansion though :D
  • mcar110mcar110 Member United KingdomPosts: 422Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    jamreal18 said:

Although I’m sure this is probably the campaign dlc, CA have said in the past not to assume that what is shown in the steam app (especially in terms of updates) is not set in stone.

I predict that it is Empire Total War. My reasoning is that there were so many complaints when they moved onto Napoleon. Ultimately you felt like they didn't finish Empire and there was so much potential to Empire and then came Napoleon, which felt like the same kind of game. I think finishing Empire, improving the game play, maybe adding a Theatre or two would be nice. Plus so many wars in the near era, like Thirty Days War or more.

While I'd love for them to do an update for ETW, the artwork hint they released rules that out entirely. The evidence we have so far points fairly strongly towards a R 2 DLC.

At this point, the only hope we have of any gunpowder era content is the NETW, because we haven't gotten any solid hints about it yet. We've only had the semi-solid hint that it won't be an era covered in previous games. That's still a pretty broad spectrum.

It could be anything from ancient Babalyon to something more recent.
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators
    Hmmmm.... teaser on the FB Total war page for Rome 2

Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,372Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Vessinger said:

At this point, the only hope we have of any gunpowder era content is the NETW, because we haven't gotten any solid hints about it yet. We've only had the semi-solid hint that it won't be an era covered in previous games. That's still a pretty broad spectrum.
    true but what speaks for such title is the fact that since FotS we didn't have one.
    Nothing shakes up the basic fell of a the battles, like having to change the basic formula of battle.

I heard claims that on reddit, there were hint that screams TW Victorai but that guy didn't gave me his sources so yeah.

And CA own teases are either totally generic or kinda hint more at a TW China (characters/animations ect..

Hmmmm.... teaser on the FB Total war page for Rome 2

If where would have been a debate about which games gets the more contend, then it is now settled ;)

Also, it really does seem we get 3rd century Germanic wars/solider emperors.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892