Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

What event would you guys like to have for a Historical Saga in Attila?

slapnut1207slapnut1207 Posts: 44Registered Users
edited November 11 in General Discussion
What sort of event or reign of a Roman Emperor would you guys like to have as a saga in TW Attila?
I don't really know what to pick for a event so I am asking you guys. I would like a event with a mix of
mid and late Roman Armor. Maybe the early 4th or late 3rd centuries?
Roma Invicta!!! - The People of Roma
Post edited by slapnut1207 on

Comments

• HrafnHrafn Posts: 128Registered Users
    Saxon/Angle/Jute subjugation of brittania?
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 8,914Registered Users
    PLEASE no more Viking stuff. Not only are there several campaigns that had a "Vikings in Britain" focus already (Viking Invasion, British Isles campaign in M2, AoC, Viking Forefathers), we also got plenty of Viking-inspired stuff in TWWH (WoC and Norsca). It's enough with the horned-helmet guys already!

My ideal would be a post Romulus Augustulus campaign map which focused on Theoderich the Great, something like a bridge between TWA's GC and The Last Roman.

edited November 11
    Who brought up viking stuff? Your idea falls right in about the same time frame as the Anglo Saxon rebellion, and the battle of Badon.

Would also like to see some pre-Charlemagne. Clovis to Charles Martel era.
    Hrafn said:

Who brought up viking stuff? Your idea falls right in about the same time frame as the Anglo Saxon rebellion, and the battle of Badon.

Would also like to see some pre-Charlemagne. Clovis to Charles Martel era.

I also don't want any more stuff centered on the British Isles since we got that way too often now as well. The Vikings are frequently brought up in regards to what the Saga game should be about.

edited November 11
    For the time period you mentioned, we could easily have more than one thing going on the map at once.

Seems that would be preferable in order to get as many people engaged as possible.

Attila is a strange case though, because though the time period has a lot going on, it isn't widely studied by most people. Almost anything you choose is going to feel obscure to your average gamer. Not that there is anything wrong with that from a gameplay perspective.

I'm hoping the saga title will be the Ottoman push into Europe; and that the new historical title will be Warring States era China.
  • DemcikDemcik Posts: 73Registered Users
    If we are still talking about Attila (the title of this thread has Saga word, so I'm a bit off track) then Rise of Islam is way to go (or whatever you want to call it). We have already stories about fall of WRE in GC, then about period of ERE/Bizantine supremacy over region in TLR and rebirth of the idea of empire in AoC. It would be cool to see how things went in the East (I mean Eastern Europe, Middle East, Northeastern Africa, maybe some parts of Pontic steppe). Another advantege of such campaign would be its diversity, it would cover not only Arab conquest but also Avar/Slavic raids into Balkan Peninsula, Khazar Khaganate, creation of First Bulgarian Empire, reforming ERE society from Late Antique urbanised one to more rural and militarised one of Middle Ages, iconoclasm etc. I know that the topic might seem controversial, but CA had never problem with religious wars, crusades, jihad etc, the only thing that should be avoided is depicting the Prophet. I think that this is major event in timeframe between 5th and 9th century we are still lacking in Total War.

As for Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain, Viking invasion or whatever you want to call it, they can be in Saga title. Honestly speaking though,we have already Viking Invasion expansion for Medieval 1, vikings and viking-related units in Medieval 1 GC, vikings in Denmark roster in Med 2(though it is post Viking-age) and many viking related units like Norman knights, Varangian guard, Druzinha in almost all expansions except Americas, and in Attila itself Viking DLC (the worst one Attila got till now,imo) and Kingdom of the Danes in Aoc. Really, I would like to see something fresh for a separate title.
    Hell no to Rise of Islam. The most interesting thing about Rise of Islam will be the cultures they are subjugating.

Rise of the Ottomans is the way to go if you want an Islam focused campaign. Way more flavor and politicking, more variety, and much better documented and sourced.

Rise of Islam would work better as a DLC for Attila I think; but they already announced the DLC is part of Rome II. Sagas are standalone, so can be really any period they want.
    Hrafn said:

Rise of Islam would work better as a DLC for Attila I think; but they already announced the DLC is part of Rome II. Sagas are standalone, so can be really any period they want.

I thought it's obvious I'm talking about Rise of Islam as a DLC for Attila, it doesn't make sense to be DLC for R2.

• slapnut1207slapnut1207 Posts: 44Registered Users
    edited November 14
    Demcik said:

Hrafn said:

I thought it's obvious I'm talking about Rise of Islam as a DLC for Attila, it doesn't make sense to be DLC for R2.

Yeah, Rome 2 doesn't make sense for the rise of Islam. I wish they would release a free dlc for Attila but I am not sure on that. A rise of Islam would be fun. I bet many playing the Rise of Islam campaign would act like a crusader/christian or a Muslim in the 7th century. But I would like Constantine's civil wars as a free dlc or paid (but hopefully free) in that I would like an Attila Campaign that had the Roman Army looking like an actual army then a bunch of militiamen or barbarians. Since I don't believe the Roman army looks the way it was portrayed in Attila during the late 4th and 5th century. It must have been a bit more standard in appearance. The reason why I would like a early 4th or late 3rd century dlc would be due to the equipment of the Roman Army looking more better in appearance than the late army. I would imagine the Roman Legions having mostly Scale and chain mail armor and the occasional, more uncommon lorica segmentata possibly since we don't actually know if that armor fell out of use completely during the time period. Also having more helmet varieties such as Auxiliary E, Imperial Gallic/italic (would be probably found on only a few soldiers on a unit), Intercisa, Burgh Castle ridge helmets and Berkasovo type ridge helmets.
    Post edited by slapnut1207 on
    Roma Invicta!!! - The People of Roma
  • DariosDarios Senior Member Posts: 260Registered Users
    I would hope for a Rise of Islam campaign. I'd love to see a campaign map stretching from the Balkans to Persia where the Romans, Arabs, Sassanids, Armenians, Bulgars, and Slavs all go at it with Constantinople as the ultimate prize.

No more focus on Western Europe, no more horned/bearded barbarians pillaging, invading, and destroying civilized empires. If I ever have to play another campaign that involves sailing across the North Sea to Britain or marching up the Rhone valley in order to conquer Gaul, I will lose my mind.

Late Antiquity wasn't just about the collapse of Western Europe into Germanic kingdoms you know, it was also about the transformation about of Eastern Europe/Middle East.
    edited November 14
    Darios said:

I would hope for a Rise of Islam campaign. I'd love to see a campaign map stretching from the Balkans to Persia where the Romans, Arabs, Sassanids, Armenians, Bulgars, and Slavs all go at it with Constantinople as the ultimate prize

Rise of the Ottomans. Seriously.

Way better variety of units, no more rehashing of tired Roman factions, gunpowder. You get to have Timur the Lame too.
  • DariosDarios Senior Member Posts: 260Registered Users
    Hrafn said:

Rise of the Ottomans. Seriously.

Way better variety of units, no more rehashing of tired Roman factions, gunpowder. You get to have Timur the Lame too.

Why would CA make an Ottoman campaign in regards to a game centering on Late Antiquity?

I wouldn't mind seeing it come up if they ever make another Medieval-themed game of course...
    edited November 14
    The OP's wording is a bit confusing. CA's "Sagas" are a series of standalone titles, like Attila, Alexander, and Napoleon. Their historical flashpoint series.

There is no reason to confine ourselves to Attila's general time period unless we're discussing DLC; like Rome II is getting. Maybe that is what OP was referring to, in which case this doesn't matter since we aren't getting it.

Which is a bummer, because I consider Attila to be the far and away better game; despite its appalling lack of potential for Hannibal fetishization and homoerotic Spartan fantasy.

Edit: Another wild saga idea- Total War: Zulu
    Post edited by Hrafn on
    Aaaaaaaaaaand it's Vikings.

Damnit CA. Missed opportunity.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 6,216Registered Users

PLEASE no more Viking stuff. Not only are there several campaigns that had a "Vikings in Britain" focus already (Viking Invasion, British Isles campaign in M2, AoC, Viking Forefathers), we also got plenty of Viking-inspired stuff in TWWH (WoC and Norsca). It's enough with the horned-helmet guys already!

My ideal would be a post Romulus Augustulus campaign map which focused on Theoderich the Great, something like a bridge between TWA's GC and The Last Roman.

Its confirmed. Vikings!
    jamreal18 said:

Its confirmed. Vikings!
    Yeah, and that sucks. British Isles and especially British Isles+Vikings got so much attention already, that was totally unnecessary. At least we got Empire Divided which got no Vikings.

Yeah, and that sucks. British Isles and especially British Isles+Vikings got so much attention already, that was totally unnecessary. At least we got Empire Divided which got no Vikings.

No Vikings, but still there are some bearded barbarians with freaking winged helmets and falx units! Even worse, some wild fantasies like Roman Pikemen - seriously? I hope that at least Alans won't have mongoloid faces and Armenian roster won't be Sassanid/Parthian copy-paste + 1 or 2 unique units.
  • frozenmenbgfrozenmenbg Senior Member Posts: 722Registered Users
    Darios said:

I would hope for a Rise of Islam campaign. I'd love to see a campaign map stretching from the Balkans to Persia where the Romans, Arabs, Sassanids, Armenians, Bulgars, and Slavs all go at it with Constantinople as the ultimate prize.

No more focus on Western Europe, no more horned/bearded barbarians pillaging, invading, and destroying civilized empires. If I ever have to play another campaign that involves sailing across the North Sea to Britain or marching up the Rhone valley in order to conquer Gaul, I will lose my mind.

Late Antiquity wasn't just about the collapse of Western Europe into Germanic kingdoms you know, it was also about the transformation about of Eastern Europe/Middle East.

I totaly for a Rise of Islam starting in 634ad and Rise of Christianity starting in 314ad with Constantine the great.I prefure both be dlcs for Attila,but im not against both being part of the Saga content.
    This is my +FrozenmenBG+'s Collector's Rome 2 Overhaul Mod Pack Edition In top 8 Highest voted Mod compilations for Rome 2 in the Steam Workshop.

Check out The Barbarian Invasions - Overhaul Mod for the Grand Campaign with 8 New Starting dates(395ad-681ad) mod coming soon to TW: Attila. It adds several new factions to the game with their unique rosters .