Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Your Updated Rome 2 in a Nutshell

Machete1234Machete1234 Posts: 11Registered Users

I know it's great that Rome 2 is being patched with new content especially in the campaign area. But seeing this problem still exist, then what's the point of adding new campaign features if 80% of your campaign game play is playing land battles with the AI and this mostly the result of it? It's quite irrelevant if you ask me, and it's not enough for a paid DLC which only adds so little to the base game.

So what's the point of praising these devs? They didn't fix anything. Sure there is this new politics and stuff, but that's it? That still not enough, it's still the same concept. They just revamped the Politics UI and lets you decide to become an empire in the late game. Haven't they even thought of importing some features from Attila? Like family tree, unit formations, etc? I thought they said they wanted re address on what they think was missing with Rome 2? After so many years, this is the only thing they came up with? A lackluster politics update? How about fixing the AI? Adding more battle formations that we have never experienced before in TW series? Optimizing the game just like in Warhammer? More diplomatic actions like in Europ Universalis?

I'm gonna say it again, and again. I have not experienced this kind of terrible AI since Rome1/Medieval2. If CA's going to add features, they should at least fix their own mess with it.

Comments

• MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyPosts: 1,331Registered Users
    edited November 14
    I have played 3000 hours Rome II and the land battles are not 80 % of the time bugged.

The AI is superior in every aspect to RTW and Med II.
  • Tenerife_BoyTenerife_Boy Member Posts: 101Registered Users
    I agree with everything you said here, but they won't fix that, they don't care about what community REALLY wants.
    This PP patch is awesome and sure, they heard us, but it's just 1/10 of what we need. Maybe they have future patches for us to come (don't keep your expectations high), who knows?
  • Machete1234Machete1234 Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited November 14
    You've read that out of context. I said playing a campaign are 80%land battles, however, playing land battles with the AI are mostly bugged. I hope I cleared that one for you. And no I'm not lying I've been testing Rome 1 and Rome 2's AI countless of times when it was launched because I was so frustrated of how Rome 2 turned out. And yes, when you are playing a campaign this was always the result of Siege battle in Rome. It's been like that since launched, and after a couple of years, tried it once again with the politics update the AI is still exactly like this. So before you accuse me of lying, make sure you are actually testing the game, not fanboy playing.

I'm not saying Rome 1 has perfect AI, it is not and it also has some annoying bugs. But Rome 2's AI is just worse. At least Rome 1's AI is quite sensible to play against imo.

Edit: Nice of you to edit out of accusing me of lying from you first post.
    Post edited by Machete1234 on
  • MarcusIuniusBrutusMarcusIuniusBrutus Senior Member GermanyPosts: 1,331Registered Users
    You are talking nonsense. I have played Rome II 3000 hours. It reacts better to players actions than Rome I /Med II ever could. Especially sieges have improved much since launch.

edited November 14

You are talking nonsense. I have played Rome II 3000 hours. It reacts better to players actions than Rome I /Med II ever could. Especially sieges have improved much since launch.

Yep. I can see your rose tinted glasses from here. Siege AI might improved a bit since launched, but it still not better than Rome 1/ Med 2's siege AI. And if you think that Siege AI is "improved". Judging from the picture above, I'm guessing you don't actually know what improve means.

Actually I don't really care on how many hours you've played Rome 2. It doesn't really give any sense, other than you exposing yourself of being an extremist fanboy.
    edited November 14

If i look on your screenshot and seeing another unit walking to another gate (yellow marked), you assumption( siege army doinh nothing) is obviously wrong. ;) Nothing more needed to say.

If i look on your screenshot and seeing another unit walking to another gate (yellow marked), you assumption( siege army doinh nothing) is obviously wrong. ;) Nothing more needed to say.

Just to prove the fact that you are doing this for the sake of arguing. That unit barely made it into the walls, they just sit behind the walls and get wrecked by tower arrows. Im sorry but arguing with you is a pure waste of time, from all I have said above and this the only thing you keep on grinding to.

I think showing you a video as proof would still not be enough for your pace.
    edited November 14
    Hm, hard to believe as the AI have always FOUR siege ladders. So i believe, its pushing one of the other two siege ladders to the wall.

And in one of five Rome TW sieges the AI doesen´t do anything and got mowed down by the towers. ;)

Hm, hard to believe as the AI have always FOUR siege ladders. So i believe, its pushing one of the other two siege ladders to the wall.

And in one of five Rome TW sieges the AI doesen´t do anything and got mowed down by the towers. ;)

Look closely again. All four ladders are within the red circles near the wall. You can see 2 ladders already burnt down.

So are you still gonna grind your way through this argument?
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 12,998Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Take it easy folks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    Sieges are **** in every single total war game. That's why I prefer non walled settlements sieges, cause AI attacks way far better.
    edited November 14

Sieges are **** in every single total war game. That's why I prefer non walled settlements sieges, cause AI attacks way far better.

I still experience an AI keeps running back and forth (at least 1 to 2 units) inside a settlement without walls. And that's from my recent Rome 2 campaign.

One thing I can only say a better TW Siege AI, is Warhammer. Sieges might only be limited to one side, but damn that's a very well implemented siege AI there.
    No, that's a lazy way to pretend to show you fixed sieges, when you clearly don't.
  • thereign83thereign83 Junior Member Posts: 90Registered Users
    Dude I made a whole thread about how bad the AI still is, I raised the question of why wasn't the expansion just released for Attila where the AI isn't ****.
    Cant stop the Reign :cool:
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 8,914Registered Users
    I can give you screenshots and replays with buggy AI behaviour from pretty much every single TW title, so this shows exactly zilch.

• KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 1,854Registered Users
    edited November 14
    That looks like a nav mesh problem. The AI isn't doing that.
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.

I can give you screenshots and replays with buggy AI behaviour from pretty much every single TW title, so this shows exactly zilch.

This shows that you didn't really give time to understand my point.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 106Registered Users
    Warhammer sieges are a big improvement in my opinion. Ca did a good job there. The siege ai and pathfinding in Rome 2 sieges is just horrible and unplayable. I really hope they can fix this. This has been adressed many times over the years.