Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Why I do not like Norsca's DLC

dacurtdacurt Posts: 43Registered Users
edited November 15 in General Discussion
This post is dedicated to summarize / group my arguments against this DLC, so that I can redirect to this post in other possible combersaciones and avoid repeating these criticisms again and again where it does not correspond.

I have decided to organize my arguments in the following way:
1 - Priorities
2 - Incongruities
3 - Personal opinion

1 - Priorities

In the first place, I think that all the official Warhammer factions (8th edition) must be completed before starting with other factions present in the universe but with no army book of their own.

At least I think that, since more content will not be added later to these factions, they should be finished before moving on to less important ones.

By this I mean that: if I bought the TW: W1 (which came only with 4 races so that these were well elaborated) with my favorite faction and then buy their corresponding DLC and there are still many (many) things to add to this and take a DLC from a minor faction (not expected) to which they take more units than the existing ones, I really am disappointed (in fact worse).

One of the consequences of this is for those followers / collectors of the Warriors of Chaos, who will never be able to build an army of this faction led by Wulfrik or Throgg (as they may have been in the board game) since they decided to separate these Legendary Lords of the Warriors of the Chaos without possibility of joining (I do not say that it seems bad according to the lore, but ...).

2 - Incongruities

This is the fundamental part of my reprobation. Throughout this section, I will be arguing things based on:
- (A1) - The Lore of Warhammer.
- (B2) - In the logic of the game.

Let's start with the most striking, the Mammoth with temple of Chaos, I think it is a troop that does not make sense from the point of view (B2), since in the first place, there is a clear intention on the part of CA for not directly relate to Norsca with Chaos (proof of this are the 4 alternative gods that have been invented for their campaign, which are evidently substitutions of the 4 gods of Chaos), so how is it that you add this unit? First you disassociate Norsca from Chaos and then you give him things from Chaos, it does not make sense. On the other hand, in the future I suppose they will add the Temple of Chaos unit to the Warriors of Chaos (since it is a unit of these, composed of a couple of "Spawn" and the Templete), but ironically it will be worse than the Temple of Norsca (Mammoth> 2 Spawn).

We continue with the Paladins Barbarians and Paladins Barbarians (two-handed weapons). The first problem with these units is their armor. From the point of view (A1), the Warriors of Chaos obtain their armor after sealing a pact with the gods of Chaos, it is not an armor that is found or forged by them, nor is it any armor, it is one of the things that distinguishes them. Now, I can understand that the elite of the Barbarians have "good armors" (of looting or whatever), but in this case it should be a small unit (not a huge unit like any other), it should look more like the Paladins aspirants of the Warriors of Chaos, a smaller unit (it does not have to be so small). But just as it is right now, Norsca and his barbarians can be an armored army from the north, when barbarians = no armor. Not content with this, they have added a variant with weapons to 2 hands (totally incesaria that agragrana more this problem) enlarging more its illogical armored variants.

Marauders, Marauders with two-handed weapons, Marauders Riders, Marauders Riders (throwing axes) and Marauders Chariot. These units are present in the army of the Chaos Warriors but (without any reason) all these units possess the ability of "Rage" in the army of Norsca. Why? This is a lot of illogical things from the point of view (B2).

Marauder ice wolves chariot. In this case it is by pure logic. Wolves can not pull a steel car without a great penalty to the movement. It's kind of seedy (not funny). In the case of the Greenskins they are wooden chariots.

Norscan ice Trolls. This case depends on the point of view (A1). The problem is not that there is this unit or any of its features. This case the problem that I see is that Chaos has been created 4 units of different Trolls, having only 1 Codex, while the Greenskins only 1 of the 3 officers should.

Frost-Wyrm is another clear case of the indecision / incorrect way of separating Norsca from Chaos. It is evident that it is a Dragon of Chaos with a re-skin for the north. I take for granted a variant of the northernmost Chaos Dragon, but if you separate Norca from Chaos, this does not make sense, it's as if you had a northern Arachnarok Spider, that is, a specific monster of a race / faction with a re-skin (cloned), another thing is that they have variants of common monsters in all Warhammer as the Giant.

3 - Personal opinion

In this last section, I will comment on what, in my personal opinion, seems a little out of place with respect to Wulfik's abilities. Some of these skills are more like a Sorcerer since they are not based on something specific to the lore or its magical items, it looks more like a hero of the LOL. It is something that they have simply decided to give to make it more attractive at the expense of the lore, logic and line that TW: W has, as they have done with the entire DLC.

Another section that makes this DLC shine is the lack of work / commitment with the initial factions and their campaigns. In this campaign of Norsca we can see how several own mechanics are added, as well as more cinematic and elements that make ridiculous the initial campaigns that should be better. This makes me wonder: why do not they update the old campaigns ?. The answer is simple, because that would not sell.

I think that's all.

Greetings.
Post edited by dacurt on

Comments

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Posts: 7,596Registered Users
    Point 1: would only matter if Norsca was somehow taking priority off a "core" race which it clearly isn't.

Point 2: They directly took from WoC sources. There was no intention to separate them entirely. It's not yes or no, it's shades of grey.

"there is a clear intention on the part of CA for not directly relate to Norsca with Chaos". That statement is hogswash. Norsca allowed more WoC stuff to be budgeted that was not planned. This is a good thing, this is more Warhammer.

Point 3: I actually hate Norsca, the race bores me to tears and I don't know why. 19 mammoths was actually fun for the first 3 battles but even that got boring.

Despite my personal disdain for the roster and the lords and just about everything it including the starting position I think the DLC was pretty well designed, objectively.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • Neolucifer2000Neolucifer2000 Junior Member Posts: 937Registered Users
    I like the norsca DLC...especially the FImir and mamoths...why are u mad?

Demand more love for Empire and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Built-in RoR like Hochland Long Rifles and Knightly orders! Doombull, Wargor, Ghorgon, Jabberslythe, Tuskboar chariot and God-specific Gors! #MakeOldWorldGreatAgain
  • Overlord87Overlord87 Posts: 619Registered Users
    As a matter of fact, all old races should be taken to the level of quality of Norsca. On this I can agree. But this is just to underline how good that DLC actually was.
  • Static_VoiDStatic_VoiD Posts: 60Registered Users
    edited November 14
    Norsca hasn't been disassociated from Chaos... Being tribes, superstitious and not particularly educated, they just have their own simplified names for the same gods... F.e. If you make "the Eagle" happy, you'll get a Lord of Change... Take a guess why...

PLOTTWIST!: IT WAS TZEENTCH ALL ALONG!
  • HisShadowBGHisShadowBG Posts: 1,547Registered Users
    edited November 14
    I like how people think that dlcs factions don't take away reaources from core races/other content yet improvments are so slow to come if they come at all
    'I hold no position in higher regard than that of the Phoenix King,' Morathi said, her eyes fixed upon Bel Shanaar. 'I spoke my mind at the First Council and others chose to ignore my wisdom. My loyalty is to Ulthuan and the prosperity and strength of her people. I do not change my opinions at a whim and my reservations have not been allayed.
  • kroghammerkroghammer Junior Member Posts: 206Registered Users
    1. Without Norsca, a main faction would have been the pre-order bonus. This would have caused a MAJOR uproar with things being more incomplete than they are. Imagine if the Tomb Kings got the WoC treatment. At least WoC will get a huge update in game 3 - TK not so much.

2. This isn't Warhammer. This is Total War Warhammer - this is the version of Warhammer CA has decided to create. It is their vision, and they are creating it as they see fit.

3. I love Norsca, I haven't played ME yet because I am waiting for the foundation update. Norsca brings in so many cool units and ideas I never thought I would see. Having Norsca included in the way it is proved to me CA really does care about this game and franchise more than just making a $.
    Team Nippon
  • AgemmonAgemmon Posts: 43Registered Users
    @Point 1: Norsca was not implemented at the expense of any 8th edition faction. Norsca was implemented by the DLC team for game 1 because the DLC for game 1 was selling better than they had expected and the fans wanted more. There is nothing “illogical” about the decision to essentially create the Norsca faction, nor was this task prioritized over any major 8th edition faction of the old world, seeing as how all of the major old world factions residing on the portion of the old world created for game 1 were created and finished before Norsca. Game 2 was being developed by a different team and was in no way hindered by any change of plans or additions made by the game 1 team for game 1. There were no issues of priority.

@Point 2: The only intention for Norsca is to focus and expand upon the marauder theme of Chaos and monster hunting / dominating. Think of Norsca as a faction within a faction for this game, with another faction being the Warriors of Chaos. Norscans have their own identity as Norseman-like tribes that fight amongst themselves, trade, raid and pillage. This is different from warriors that eventually become warriors of chaos, as warriors of chaos lose their norsemen-like identity and become weapons of destruction with no goal other than to gain favour from their god(s) and destroy just about everything in the name of their deities.

Speaking of deities, the Norscan tribes worship the very same gods of chaos we know and love. There are no distinctions to be made. The Norscans have their own interpretations of the chaos gods: the hound (khorne), the crow (nurgle), the eagle (tzeentch) and the serpent (slaanesh).

There is no grievous lore breaking or lack of logic with Norsca.

@Point 3: Your detest for Norsca is unwarranted, as it is one of the best DLCs thus far for Total War: Warhammer. Sure, even I have a gripe with the reskinned chaos dragon; dubbed the frost wyrm, but your claims of Norsca being created at the expense of lore and logic have no weight behind them. The Norscan tribes were very hollow and boring prior to the Norsca DLC. Norsca being fabricated as a faction that is both still part of chaos yet having an expanded identity of its own is nothing but fantastic.

If you think the Norsca is illogical and lore breaking, my only advice is to read up more on the Warhammer lore.
  • Fraxure022Fraxure022 Posts: 35Registered Users
    Norsca is one of the best DLC factions CA has ever released, tied for me with Wood Elves (maybe even better). My only issue with Norsca is that they serve more than any other DLC to illustrate how poorly done Call of the Beastmen was. Its OK to not like Norsca, but I feel some of your arguments are lacking an understanding of what was actually being conveyed. Most of the units in the Norsca DLC exist in the lore or as Forge World models, although, I will admit to being disappointed that the Frost Wyrm was a reskinned Chaos Dragon. The 4 "substitute" chaos gods are the 4 chaos gods, seen through the lens of uneducated barbarians who do not understand the powers they worship. Adherents to a religion are going to have shrines to it, Mammoths very much exist in Warhammer, its not an extraordinary stretch of the imagination that a people who's very existence is predicated on endless warfare would bring their shrines to war with them on the largest and most powerful beasts of the north. At least, the largest and most powerful that can be broken to the saddle.
  • SkaHunter89234SkaHunter89234 Posts: 1Registered Users
    The Norscan DLC is definetly my most favorite DLC for Warhammer 1.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 1,889Registered Users
    As someone who read the entire post, and absolutely loves the Norsca dlc, you make great points!
    Most of these things you mention I've considered after enjoying Norsca.

I've no regrets for wanting Norsca to be separated from Chaos though!
    Maybe I'll regret it if the Warriors of chaos truly don't get their due while Norsca stole their thunder. But I have my doubts that CA will leave the WoC in the dust like this.

Again, you make great points anyway.
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 2,847Registered Users

As a matter of fact, all old races should be taken to the level of quality of Norsca. On this I can agree. But this is just to underline how good that DLC actually was.

^^ Quoted for truth.

Also... that we even got Norsca means CA is willing to explore other aspects of the WHFB universe that were not individually represented by army books. That is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! WHFB is such a rich universe and full of awesome stuff that really deserves to have a chance to shine.

Given that GW killed it all and made Age of Wardmar this game is basically the only chance we will ever have to see those parts of WHFB come to life.
  • PeaceWalkerPeaceWalker Posts: 15Registered Users
    What an elaborated yet stupid post, sorry. For a moment I was going to address your points but many have done it already, so I'll just point out how not an issue are all your issues.
  • Ice_creamIce_cream Posts: 592Registered Users
    They didn't invented any new god to replace the Chaos Gods, this "new" gods is how suppose to be how the norscan name the Chaos God, so there ins't any inconsistency. Frost-Wyrm is just a lazy reskin, it has nothing to do with if they are chaos related or no. And could spend my time counter-arguing all your point, but it's not worth it.
  • IntertriarriiaeIntertriarriiae Posts: 176Registered Users
    Even if you don't like norsca the update adds so much you'll want to get it. You can just mod the norsca units out if you really need to lol

I think the update is amazing
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 1,889Registered Users
    Also the notion of certain races being more important than others is kind of disqualified by CA's progress with developing the newer races. If the developers developed the newer additions with bias importance in mind, then people would have never ending valid concerns about updating other races because of the lack of effort and content they individually have.

Also I'm pretty sure the WoC's Shrine of Chaos would be more potent than the Norsca Mammoth shrine of chaos not on the combatant side, but the effects and abilities.

Good point on the "Rage" trait that Norsca has army wise. Don't know why this wouldn't be attributed to the WoC as well, or at least have else something of their own. But this is why WoC having the warshrine and eye of the gods and marks is essential for chaos.
    Always be aware when a Content Refusing Troll Brigade (CRTB) representative is near. Contact your local Witch Hunter for further info.
  • SerkeletSerkelet Member Posts: 72Registered Users
    I really don't understand such priorities on staying on lore. The Norsca DLC brought a lot of life to their area and turned annoying hordes of easy to butcher armies into actual threatening rosters you enjoy playing against.

You can't lose perspective on the fact that this is a strategy game, and a Total War game at that. Having Kislev and TEB as placeholder generic low tier Empire armies is just bad for the game, as it fullfills large areas of the map with uninteresting factions that ultimately pose no challenge to the player. A strategy gamer wants fleshed out rosters, lords and systems for those factions to face them in battle and on the campaign (or to play as them).
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 1,578Registered Users
  • ShermanSherman Member Posts: 596Registered Users

Without doubt, the 4 gods of Norsca, are tribal rapresentation of the chaos gods.
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USAPosts: 5,232Registered Users
    edited November 14
    Additional confirmation that the gods are the same, refer to Warhammer 5th edition Realms of Chaos Page 25.

"There are countless warbands of Marauders, but most of them follow one of the great totem gods. These are Chrom or Khorne, the Hound of War; Tchar or Tzeentch, the Great Eagle; Nurgal or Nurgle, the Skeletal Crow; and Loesh or Slaanesh, the Mighty Serpent."
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • MeanSonOfAGunMeanSonOfAGun Posts: 68Registered Users
    While I appreciate the effort you've put into this long and well structured thread I can't help but considering it basicly as next-level-nitpicking. I think this great dlc offers more than just a minor faction and a couple of pretty units, i.e. a very unique campaign experience and even more important- hope for more minor factions which provide so much more flavour and depth to this wonderfully grim world.

Adding more depth to major factions as well as implementing more interesting mechanics is nessessary but as long as no ressources are drawn from major races I'm absolutely happy CA have expanded their plans for this beautiful game.
  • OdTengriOdTengri Posts: 1,070Registered Users
    OP wrote a novel to his ignorance, brilliant. Can't say I haven't done the same, I just try to do it less often these days.
    Give us Doombull, Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor, and Tuskgor Chariot.

Also the War-Mammoth has a shrine on it because that was a legit option on TT, can't wait to dedicate them to the gods.

• dacurtdacurt Posts: 43Registered Users
    edited November 16
    First of all, thank you all for answering with education and respect (almost all), and your time.

I have to admit that I have been convinced of certain things:

- Gods of Norsca = Interpretations of the Gods of Chaos.
    - New content added
    - New mechanics

Special thanks to @Red_Dox for taking the time to collect all that lore.

BUT ... xD

There are several very important points that have hardly been commented:

- Maramoders armored
    - Fury for Norsca but not for Chaos (I read you @KGpoopy )
    - Chaos Warriors can never be led by Wulfrik or Throgg

Now, there is a point I can not agree on: Norsca's DLC has been elaborated in such a way that this faction has been prioritized over other major factions. Now I will expose my arguments on this opinion.

I think before going to work with extra races / factions (since as you say, they ended up with the official factions for the 1st game), they would have to polish the serious errors and problems of the previous factions. Of all these, the one that wins (by a landslide) the championship of the most forgotten would be the Pielesverdes.

Compare Starting with 3D models. How is it possible that your Legendary Lord has badly coupled their parts leaving invisible / transparent gaps (I feel the pessimistic translation, I do not know the exact term)?

Now I would like to reach one thing; dirty is not equal to poor quality. Those textures and modeling seem like a game 5 years earlier if we compare them to others.

Now, the main part, content. How can it be that one of the main features of the first game lacks more than half of its roster. Not only are there missing units, but also options. Ex: Leoncord can choose a saddle, a pegasus, a Hippogrifo and Beaquis. Azagh can only choose Comecraneos, why can not he also choose the common version of a wyrm ?. A Skin shaman can ride among other things in Estegadon; why can not he mount a Goblin shaman in Arachnarok Spider like in his army book. We do not have the Big Boss Goblin prayer with bow (which should be).

Now units, I know that the Greenskin roster could be equal to 2-3 whole factions, but that does not justify leaving it half done. Where are the Stone Trolls and the River Trolls? (This is a clear example of priorities where, instead of completing the roster, they decided to do Norsca's DLC), where are my Orc spearmen, my Black Orcs with shield, my Great Orc Chiefs, etc?

A DLC has already been made for these and they are still missing TOO MUCH things but instead of ending this, they focus their work on something else (Norsca). This is one of the reasons that irritates me most of this DLC, as it makes it clear that they will not retouch the factions of the 1st game (except Chaos).

Greetings.
    Post edited by dacurt on
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 3,052Registered Users
    If the norsca roster had been only throgg, trolls and javelin marauders it would still be my favourite roster after beastmen :D warhammer has a serious lack of javelin units and it's a shame because they're incredibly satisfying to use in total war
  • GalenHHHGalenHHH Junior Member Posts: 759Registered Users
    The fact that the norsca DLC was created using units that belong to WoC or mechanics that could make WoC fun is enough to hate it.
  • Fraxure022Fraxure022 Posts: 35Registered Users
    dacurt said:

First of all, thank you all for answering with education and respect (almost all), and your time.

- New content added
    - New mechanics

BUT ... xD

- Maramoders armored

Now, there is a point I can not agree on: Norsca's DLC has been elaborated in such a way that this faction has been prioritized over other major factions. Now I will expose my arguments on this opinion.

I think before going to work with extra races / factions (since as you say, they ended up with the official factions for the 1st game), they would have to polish the serious errors and problems of the previous factions. Of all these, the one that wins (by a landslide) the championship of the most forgotten would be the Pielesverdes.

Compare Starting with 3D models. How is it possible that your Legendary Lord has badly coupled their parts leaving invisible / transparent gaps (I feel the pessimistic translation, I do not know the exact term)?

[picture]

Now I would like to reach one thing; dirty is not equal to poor quality. Those textures and modeling seem like a game 5 years earlier if we compare them to others.

Now, the main part, content. How can it be that one of the main features of the first game lacks more than half of its roster. Not only are there missing units, but also options. Ex: Leoncord can choose a saddle, a pegasus, a Hippogrifo and Beaquis. Azagh can only choose Comecraneos, why can not he also choose the common version of a wyrm ?. A Skin shaman can ride among other things in Estegadon; why can not he mount a Goblin shaman in Arachnarok Spider like in his army book. We do not have the Big Boss Goblin prayer with bow (which should be).

Now units, I know that the Greenskin roster could be equal to 2-3 whole factions, but that does not justify leaving it half done. Where are the Stone Trolls and the River Trolls? (This is a clear example of priorities where, instead of completing the roster, they decided to do Norsca's DLC), where are my Orc spearmen, my Black Orcs with shield, my Great Orc Chiefs, etc?

A DLC has already been made for these and they are still missing TOO MUCH things but instead of ending this, they focus their work on something else (Norsca). This is one of the reasons that irritates me most of this DLC, as it makes it clear that they will not retouch the factions of the 1st game (except Chaos).

Greetings.

I can agree with the bolded part. Like I expressed earlier, Norsca really shows how poorly done Beastmen were, and honestly, how bland the Empire and Greenskins are.

• FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 694Registered Users

dacurt said:

- New content added
    - New mechanics

BUT ... xD

- Maramoders armored

[picture]

Greetings.

I can agree with the bolded part. Like I expressed earlier, Norsca really shows how poorly done Beastmen were, and honestly, how bland the Empire and Greenskins are.

Yeah gotta agree and that's not opinion that's fact. Wish they'd revisit them. The newer dlc and factions have gotten so much core roster love and even mechanic love
  • panda_express12panda_express12 Member Posts: 98Registered Users
    Whoa, there is no way I am reading all that.

I'll just say that I really like Norsca and am glad C.A. made them a fleshed out faction.
    Rig
    CPU: i5 3570k 3.4GHz
    GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB
    RAM: 8GB 1600mhz
  • octavian1127octavian1127 Senior Member Posts: 1,236Registered Users
    What is Norsca and Beastmen really missing?
    |Sith|Octavian

dacurt said:

- New content added
    - New mechanics

BUT ... xD

- Maramoders armored

[picture]

Greetings.

Yeah gotta agree and that's not opinion that's fact. Wish they'd revisit them. The newer dlc and factions have gotten so much core roster love and even mechanic love
    Yep, I thought the whole point of FLC was to squirrel away some amount of development funds to keep the product as a whole at the same production value.

I don't feel like that's what's happening.