Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Get ready for Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA.

Comments

• SaurianDruidSaurianDruid Posts: 857Registered Users
    This is amazing news! The Total War: Kingdoms Britannia campaign was possibly my favorite campaign in the entire franchise, even including Warhammer. Super excited to see what amounts to an entire game dedicated to one of my favorite time periods with some of my favorite ancient cultures fleshed out and playable.
  • sassbarmansassbarman Posts: 25Registered Users
    Lori_CA said:

mcar110 said:

Hey @Lori_CA, I noticed you mentioned in the FAQ that the Attila engine will be getting some changes to make the Saga game run as smoothly as possible. Will these (presumably performance) changes be implemented in Attila itself?

I don't believe we are planning on updating Attila at this current time but I will let you know if that changes.
    As someone who still occasionally plays Attila ( very underrated game by the way) it seems a bit strange that if you’ve found code optimizations in the engine that you wouldn’t incorporate those into Attila. I say that having no clue what that entails of coarse.

• talonntalonn Junior Member Posts: 493Registered Users
    Meh... this new setting doesnt excite me.
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,619Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    This is kind of "more of the same" I am sorry to say. We had Norsemen and Saxons in Attila, and we had Norsemen and Saxons in Age of Charlemagne. I was hoping for something more unique from this Saga release (within the scope of TW Attila). Like the Arab–Byzantine wars - a flash-point if there ever was one, or Basil the Bulgar Slayer, or early days of the Holy Roman Empire.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    Always wanted this and Rome politics to happen. It's now strange that CA is doing exactly what I thought was never going to happen, and it's happen around the same time!
  • Ranger275Ranger275 Junior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    1. Use Wardruna for the soundtrack.
    2. Use Dr. Jackson Crawford to fine tune dialogue
    3. I took great pleasure in spoiling Ragnar's death to the guys at work during season one of the television show "Vikings."
  • jimmy44jimmy44 Senior Member Posts: 351Registered Users
    Wolf1987 said:

I have a very good question: Will you guys ever make a new game engine, or are we stuck with Empire TW's dying corps forever?

'dying corps' or 'dying corpse' - a corpse can't die...its already dead ; )

• BoicoteBoicote Senior Member Posts: 638Registered Users
    I'm a little disappointed with this announcement because in this period Britain was somehow irrelevant to mankind. But I accept it because I understand that:
    - CA is a British company
    - We live in an Anglocentric world;
    - Vikings are very popular in these days (just look at the tremendous success of "Vikings" (TV serie))

This is not my favourite time period and most likely I will not buy this game. However, I'm looking forward for the announcement of future TW Saga titles.
  • IBlewAFuseIBlewAFuse Senior Member CanadaPosts: 1,389Registered Users
    Boicote said:

I'm a little disappointed with this announcement because in this period Britain was somehow irrelevant to mankind. But I accept it because I understand that:
    - CA is a British company
    - We live in an Anglocentric world;
    - Vikings are very popular in these days (just look at the tremendous success of "Vikings" (TV serie))

This is not my favourite time period and most likely I will not buy this game. However, I'm looking forward for the announcement of future TW Saga titles.

How is this period not relevant to mankind?

It set up the creation of England, a country which went on to rule much of the world.
  • MrDarth0MrDarth0 Junior Member Posts: 224Registered Users
    I'm not very much interested in this time period and place, but I'll probably give it a try, just to have some historical TW to play before the main release.
  • Ranger275Ranger275 Junior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    I'm not english, but I find this time period fascinating. English history is crazier than most places, with waves of invaders from all over washing up on the island shores, not to mention the blood thirsty in-fighting. It's no wonder they went on to control the world.

Also, Vikings. I mean, come on.
    edited November 2017
    @Lori_CA @Jack_Lusted_CA

Could you guys and gals please make cavalry charges look more impactful like warhammer? The one thing disappointing to me in Atilla battles is the cavalry charges are not really exciting.

I know it's atilla's system, but maybe this could get a little work?
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,259Registered Users
    KGpoopy said:

@Lori_CA @Jack_Lusted_CA

Could you guys and gals please make cavalry charges look more impactful like warhammer? The one thing disappointing to me in Atilla battles is the cavalry charges are not really exciting.

And same way with units being charged...

They should bounce upon impact...
  • HK_supralKHK_supralK Posts: 3Registered Users

It set up the creation of England, a country which went on to rule much of the world.

Pretty sure the creation of england as you may think of was in 1066

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,669Registered Users

Not really. William conquered the Kingdom of England, not the Kingdom that would become england.
    edited November 2017
    KGpoopy said:

@Lori_CA @Jack_Lusted_CA

I mean, there really shouldnt be much cav that could do heavy shocks in this game. The only reason the Celts or Norse had anything above very light cav in Atilla was to compete in mp, now they can be more proper.
    Post edited by Krunch on
    Krunch said:

KGpoopy said:

@Lori_CA @Jack_Lusted_CA

I mean, there really shouldnt be much vac that could do heavy shocks in this game. The only reason the Celts or Norse had anything above very light cab in Atilla was to compete in no, now they can be more proper.
    Yeah good point. I wonder if there will even be cavalry. Vikings almost never used cavalry,and maybe never even had a military contingent of cavalry outside of scouting.
    KGpoopy said:

Krunch said:

KGpoopy said:

@Lori_CA @Jack_Lusted_CA

I mean, there really shouldnt be much vac that could do heavy shocks in this game. The only reason the Celts or Norse had anything above very light cab in Atilla was to compete in no, now they can be more proper.
    Yeah good point. I wonder if there will even be cavalry. Vikings almost never used cavalry,and maybe never even had a military contingent of cavalry outside of scouting.
    I think at most we should see light cav, with some factions like the Danes only having Very Light cavalry(Basically as you say a scout and light harassment cav). MAYBE the Saxons could get a low-end medium cav unit later in the game.
  • wildmugatowildmugato Senior Member Posts: 472Registered Users
    Thumbs up CA. Thank you for getting back to the core of Total WAR !
    ========================================== The Wild Mugato ==========================================

TOTAL WAR: Three Kingdoms / Thrones of Britannia / Warhammer 1 & 2 / Attila /
    Rome 1 & 2 / Rome - Alexander / Empire / Napoleon / Shogun 1 & 2 / Medieval 1 & 2 / Medieval Barbarians /
    All games listed have all DLC's & Packs that were offered /

====================================================================================
  • IBlewAFuseIBlewAFuse Senior Member CanadaPosts: 1,389Registered Users

No, not at all. The formation of England was well before 1066. 1066 was when William of Normandy invaded and beat Harold Godwinson at Hastings. England as an idea was already well underway thanks to Alfred and his successors.
  • NdelapNdelap Posts: 1Registered Users
    Include old Roman Forts, Roman roads, Hadrian’s wall, Hill forts, regional British accents and this will be a good’un
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,384Registered Users
    KGpoopy said:

Krunch said:

KGpoopy said:

@Lori_CA @Jack_Lusted_CA

Celtic factions I think should have some good skirmisher cavalry, and maybe a couple skirmisher/melee crossover units (not heavy enough to break infantry with their melee, but enough to do nasty things to ranged units or to break a weakened infantry unit).

Saxons I think had in this period some light scouting/mop-up cavalry.

Just guessing, but I'd think maybe

Vikings - no cav
    Saxons - 1-2 light cav units
    Gaels - 2-3 light cav/light skirmisher cav
    Britons (Welsh) - 3-6 light cav/light or medium skirmisher cav
  • ChaosDragonBornChaosDragonBorn Posts: 1,487Registered Users
    Lori_CA said:

It is 878 AD, and the Viking Invasion of Britain is over. The Norse warlords are firmly established, but the ambitious kings of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales have aspirations of their own – not least the great King Alfred of Wessex...
    Watch the full trailer here:

Add Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA to your Steam wishlist now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/712100/Total_War_Saga_Thrones_of_Britannia/

Questions? Why not check out the FAQ first: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-britannia-faq

:open_mouth: :smiley:
  • alstlalstl Member Posts: 313Registered Users
    I'm ready! Although warhammer isn't my thing because I prefer historical content I'm glad they produced warhammer because the infusion of money into the company from that game helps fund future historical content like Britannia.

It has been a bit of a dry spell for the historical genre and I'm ready.
  • united84united84 Posts: 526Registered Users
    I am hyped about this saga series. What I really hope is that the units would not be a total recycle from Attila. I expect cool looking anglo-saxon soldiers wearing tabards representing their kingdoms, some cool music representing that era similar what you guys did to Shogun 2 (Good Job). Its your 1st saga series, so please dont messed it up. Not gonna lie, Empire divided wasnt impressive enough (my 2 cents) but thanks for the power & politics free-LC.
  • Galvinized_IronGalvinized_Iron Posts: 822Registered Users
    I want my Vikings to have two speeds: sprint and KILL!
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 483Registered Users
    This could be a classic, for Britain and especially England it is THE most important time when the constitute kingdoms of Britain where forged into the nations we know today. I am wondering exactly which factions will be playable as in each main faction there where so many smaller tribes and kingdoms. I am expecting Wessex of course, the Danelaw, one or two each of the welsh, Irish and Scott's sub kingdoms, I am also wandering if factions that did not make the first cut will be released as faction packs later.

I saw earlier some one asking if cavalry would be in, well with the exception of lite skirmish units probably not. How ever there may well be an tech upgrade that allows the use of horses for campaign map movement as most better quality native British and Saxon did use horses to get to battle fields then dismount to form their shield walls. Also the Danes almost always used stolen horse to mount raids into the inland country side.

Politics and family tree should be an important feature as they where extensively used in arranging alliances often with the addition of an arranged marriage to sweeten the deal.
  • KregenKregen Member Posts: 483Registered Users

No, not at all. The formation of England was well before 1066. 1066 was when William of Normandy invaded and beat Harold Godwinson at Hastings. England as an idea was already well underway thanks to Alfred and his successors.
    also to expand on that when the Normans took over after winning the battle of Senlac hill, William confirmed almost all existing laws as they where far more efficient than the French system in place in Normandy. It was basically just a change of some of the ruling class ( many Saxons kept their positions after the invasion, The Earl of Mercia for one) within 50 to a 100 years they where all calling themselves English and where proud of it.
  • baranbekiroglubaranbekiroglu Posts: 18Registered Users
    This looks promising!!!

If I were you guys I would develop a new engine for Total War and test it in this game