Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Get ready for Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA.

Lori_CALori_CA Posts: 77Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff, SuperAdmin, Community Team
It is 878 AD, and the Viking Invasion of Britain is over. The Norse warlords are firmly established, but the ambitious kings of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales have aspirations of their own – not least the great King Alfred of Wessex...
Watch the full trailer here:

Add Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA to your Steam wishlist now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/712100/Total_War_Saga_Thrones_of_Britannia/

Questions? Why not check out the FAQ first: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-britannia-faq
Lead Community Manager

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Comments

• mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,138Moderators
    Sweet! Interesting time period too.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 2,861Registered Users
    Excellent choice of setting (says a "totally unbiased" English guy :wink: )

From the FAQ:

"What are the key features?

The game will offer a super-detailed campaign map, with more regional distinction. You can also enjoy new, unique faction and culture mechanics with deep narratives and character development, and we’ve worked hard to introduce all sorts of tweaks to various campaign systems to enable the player to make more powerful and impactful choices. These are things we’ve already announced, though more key features will be announced soon!"

Thank you, @Jack_Lusted_CA !
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 6,214Registered Users
    edited November 14
    Is it different from Britannia Campaign in Medieval 2?
  • totalromefantotalromefan Senior Member Posts: 483Registered Users
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 2,861Registered Users
    edited November 14
    jamreal18 said:

Expansion from Attila. Here's a map of Britain in the year it starts (AD 878)

• SuliotSuliot Senior Member Posts: 413Registered Users
    jamreal18 said:

It's 400 years earlier.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 867Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    jamreal18 said:

The Britannia Campaign was one campaign in an expansion for Medieval 2. Thrones of Britannia is a complete standalone title focused on the British Isles around 878 AD. Expect a lot more detail than there was in the Britannia campaign, and the start date being 400 years earlier means it is a very different situation.
    Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • JowenJowen Junior Member Posts: 161Registered Users
    Sounds good.

And let me the first tool that demands that you incorporate elements from the Norsca DLC, because obviously the Vikings would have been riding mammoths, if given the option.
  • GamgeeGamgee Senior Member Posts: 981Registered Users
    Nice. I can't wait to fight for the Irish.
  • sander9702sander9702 Posts: 3Registered Users

I've waited so long for this.

Will you make Saga versions of the other Medieval 2 DLC as well?

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 6,214Registered Users
    edited November 14
    @Jack_Lusted_CA

Will there be "New" Cities, Maps, Castles, Battlemaps?

Crusade and Teutonic Campaign will be awesome!
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • iceniqueeniceniqueen Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    It would be nice if it went to 1066 as this was actually the end of the Viking rule in England by the Normans of France
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 168Registered Users
    Would be cool if you could ever use the artistic style of the trailer within a game as well.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Posts: 106Registered Users
    Great news! So sad that we will have to wait until spring to see some actual game screenies... :(
  • totalromefantotalromefan Senior Member Posts: 483Registered Users

It would be nice if it went to 1066 as this was actually the end of the Viking rule in England by the Normans of France

pretty sure the saxons-english defeated the vikings.
    the normans then defeated the saxons
  • kieran12kieran12 Senior Member Posts: 238Registered Users
    edited November 14
    Hoping the campaign map is similar like to Rome 2.? I did not like the muddy campaign textures of Attila. I preferred the battle campaign maps for Attila though.

Hoping this is 64 bit, and the game will use supersampling from 4k down for better textures. Please better AA options.

I happy with this setting, can't wait to see gameplay.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 1,998Registered Users

I near 100% guarantee that the Norman inasion will be a DLC for this game. Since the content(Which I assume means units and tech) goes to around 1066 this also makes sense just to be right before the DLC.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKPosts: 867Registered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited November 14
    jamreal18 said:

@Jack_Lusted_CA

Will there be "New" Cities, Maps, Castles, Battlemaps?

Crusade and Teutonic Campaign will be awesome!

As I said, it's a different setting to the Britannia campaign for Medieval II by a good 4 centuries.

And just like all of our standalone games yes it will feature new settlement maps.

Game Director - Thrones of Britannia

• rachubikurachubiku Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    Please, please CA, come in Brazilian Portuguese, like WH.
  • PietroMiccaPietroMicca Senior Member Posts: 219Registered Users
  • LedonevLedonev Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    A little disappointed.

Not sure what I was expecting. Suppose it is my fault for entertaining the myriad of interesting hypotheticals on the other threads for the Saga game.

Guess I will have to see how many more years I can get out of Rome 2 and Attila. And if it gets really bad, maybe try WH out... Nah, who am I kidding about WH?

I'll play this any day before those!
  • Tibi088Tibi088 Posts: 15Registered Users
    Sooo the most important question: Will Uthred of Bebbanburg be in?
  • RolloSmersonRolloSmerson GermanyPosts: 8Registered Users
    Amazing news!
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,282Registered Users
    Will this game be 64-bit like the warhammer titles? Or like Attila and Rome 2 where I have VRAM locked at 3?
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • BenjinBenjin Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    Tibi088 said:

Sooo the most important question: Will Uthred of Bebbanburg be in?

Damn, now you've reminded me that I need to watch the second series of The Last Kingdom.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 6,947Registered Users
    Argon said:

Will this game be 64-bit like the warhammer titles? Or like Attila and Rome 2 where I have VRAM locked at 3?

"base on Attila", was the sentence I saw...
  • ZanatisZanatis Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited November 14
    Great news...for the people of British and Scandinavian descent mostly.

For the rest of us, I don’t think the value of the added features will be £30 to simply get a better version of Age of Charlemagne, although AoC covers most of Europe and therefore most of TW fans’ historical interest.

Hard to imagine that non-Brits/Scandinavians would invest hundreds of hours of gameplay for the glory of Britain. Granted all the historical fans including myself will be curious to try out every Total War title, but buying the game just to do 1 campaign doesn’t cut it (at least for me).

What is left is to pray to Hollywood or History Channel to come up with a new historical kickass movie or TV show on the periods that the vast majority of us are interested so that CA can obviously chase those idea and make some decent bucks.

Apologies for the negativity but I’m happy for you guys that can’t wait for its release and I’m just jealous I haven’t had the same feeling since 2013.
  • VessingerVessinger Senior Member Posts: 776Registered Users
    Zanatis said:

Great news...for the people of British and Scandinavian descent mostly.

For the rest of us, I don’t think the value of the added features will be £30 to simply get a better version of Age of Charlemagne, although AoC covers most of Europe and therefore most of TW fans’ historical interest.

Hard to imagine that non-Brits/Scandinavians would invest hundreds of hours of gameplay for the glory of Britain. Granted all the historical fans including myself will be curious to try out every Total War title, but buying the game just to do 1 campaign doesn’t cut it (at least for me).

What is left is to pray to Hollywood or History Channel to come up with a new historical kickass movie or TV show on the periods that the vast majority of us are interested so that CA can obviously chase those idea and make some decent bucks.

Apologies for the negativity but I’m happy for you guys that can’t wait for its release and I’m just jealous I haven’t had the same feeling since 2013.

While this isn't a region I would have preferred, I think your assumption that mostly people from regions that are represented in the game will have any interest is a bit off. Just looking at the sales figures for Shogun 2 by region shows it was, by a vast majority, bought by Europeans.

Kind of blows that out of the water doesn't it? I'm sure there are people out there that only want to play their home region, but those stats seem to indicate they're in the minority.

Some 510,000 Europeans and North Americans fought for the glory of the Japanese Empire. I know I put in 1,624 hours into it, and I've never even been to Japan!
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Posts: 806Registered Users
    Zanatis said:

But of course investing hundreds of hours for the glory of Japan, Rome or the Dwarfs of Clan Angrund makes total sense.
  • boyfightsboyfights Junior Member Posts: 3,035Registered Users
    Jowen said:

Sounds good.

And let me the first tool that demands that you incorporate elements from the Norsca DLC, because obviously the Vikings would have been riding mammoths, if given the option.

That might get me a little more excited about this

I'm always happy to see new total war and I'm certainly going to buy and enjoy this but I'm not sure I can think of a setting I'm less interested in :confounded: (just kidding I can, it's the US civil war). I'm glad to see some more focused campaigns though, keep them coming!