Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Get ready for Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA.

Comments

• FedorFedor Junior Member Posts: 162Registered Users
    This Saga would have total new map and many new features. Good. I was waiting something like that.

I have a question to Jack or other devs. Is it possible to make battle maps terrain equal to WH in your game? I like WH terrain very much: many different mountains, hills, swamps, forests to use during combats? Rome's and Attila's battle maps are like a steppe with few trees.
  • mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 739Registered Users
    I just hope the business model is fair. With what's happened the past few months I sincerely can no longer trust any AAA company.
    Sigmar wills it!
  • iceniqueeniceniqueen Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users

It would be nice if it went to 1066 as this was actually the end of the Viking rule in England by the Normans of France

pretty sure the saxons-english defeated the vikings.
    the normans then defeated the saxons
    Think again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge
  • MemnonMemnon Senior Member Posts: 571Registered Users
    Im hope "real" sige battle back...im hope big city back...im hope "real" fight between units back...im hope we have longer battle than 3 min-EPIC battle...
    Hope die last one....
  • TheBlank97TheBlank97 Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    One question important to me: You said it runs off Attila's engine but made optimisations to make the game sun smoothly. Can this please be also a patch for Attila? I run Rome II on mods like Divide et Impera improving unit sizes considerably, with 50-60 fps max everything, while Attila is under 20 not max everything, without mods. I would love to play Attila if only the performance was fixed. I run Warhammer better and it's a later game!
  • RotarrinRotarrin Junior Member Posts: 37Registered Users
    I'm super-pumped now. Ever since I first read Bernard Cornwell's "Saxon Chronicles" novels (beginning with The Last Kingdom), I've wanted to see the TW series tackle this time period. Definitely looking forward to this one!

Tibi088 said:

Sooo the most important question: Will Uthred of Bebbanburg be in?

Heh.

• NorthstrikeNorthstrike Posts: 35Registered Users
    great move CA :D I hope for a lot of viking look units :D
  • Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 503Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    A great potential setting.

PLEASE CA, depict this as real, gritty and immersive as you can:
    • Provide unique / distinct cultural and factional settings / ambiance.
    • Provide unique settlement battle maps (based on history) . Make the player feel they're NOT just not sacking another generic placeholder.
    • Provide unique cultural and factional unit attire (more than just colour coding).
    • Provide interactive cut-scenes for major events and strategic turning points (including siege diplomacy, survivors reporting enemy excesses, death of loved ones, etc etc).
    • Provide improved international relations, trade and diplomacy. Have the AI respond more emotionally / humanly to the player's actions. Give the player as sense of developing loyal friendships or mortal enemies
    my2bob
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • CaractacusMagnusCaractacusMagnus Senior Member Posts: 370Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Thrilled with this setting! Seems like CA has been paying attention to the players.

I'll have to adjust to the small map as (for me) TW tends to be best in the bigger sprawling settings, but on the other hand this means there can be some decently granular coverage of the British Isles rather than the usual complement of fewer than 5 settlements.

There's so much scope for quality gameplay and heightened polish in a focused FotS sized game set in Viking Age Britain, it's unreal. Breaking the new format with this setting is a stroke of genius.

Fredrin said:

jamreal18 said:

Is it different from Britannia Campaign in Medieval 2?

Expansion from Attila. Here's a map of Britain in the year it starts (AD 878)

Hey, that's not a map of Britain (still less a map of the British Isles). :D

@CA: Finally, because I know some of my esteemed fellow history-centric TWers will grizzle (and I'm sure I will at some point, as is PC gamers' wont), thanks for these announcements and letting us know you haven't abandoned the historical games; Even knowing CA had historical stuff "in the pipeline" the silence was starting to become deafening for some of us. This is like a breath of fresh air.

Can't wait to play this game, thank you for all your hard work, you guys rock.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,463Registered Users
    SiWI said:

Argon said:

Will this game be 64-bit like the warhammer titles? Or like Attila and Rome 2 where I have VRAM locked at 3?

"base on Attila", was the sentence I saw...
    right, but they also said that they made improvements
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • jimmy44jimmy44 Senior Member Posts: 351Registered Users
    Frame rates for Total War Attila were pretty poor, even on a high end rig - can CA reassure us that FPS will be better in the Brittania campaign on the same rig? I really feel Attila was not optimised as much as it could have been.
  • ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Posts: 210Registered Users
    ive waited long for this! pls dont butcher it

It would be nice if it went to 1066 as this was actually the end of the Viking rule in England by the Normans of France

pretty sure the saxons-english defeated the vikings.
    the normans then defeated the saxons
    Think again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge
    his statement is correct, no?
    at hastings harald took an arrow to the face
    ---Furthermore i am of the opinion, that the current Unit Count(20,21) must be lifted!!

appeal to CA:

skirmish related (applicable for historical titles):
    new innovations in the ToB campaign look very promising! skirmish need that kind of revamp too!
    pls, dont overemphasize unit r/p/s counter-matching as the hierarchical confluence of all decision making
    - ! make unit formations (and perhaps abilities) great again! (charlemagne)
    - ! same with LoS system! (tw:arena/UG:CivilWars)
    - ! same with terrain (ridges) (tw:arena/shogun2/UG:CivilWars)
    you've already made the tools!
    just make use of them!

menu related (mp skirmish lobby):
    * add "large army" option to quickmatch pls!
    * have "large army" settings be tagged visually in lobby selector (so that all players have easier time in lobby select)
    * pls introduce scheduled rank resets to quickmatch as means to repress unsportsmanlike conduct related to stat fetishism
    * enable shared team funds (sum == opposition funds irrespective of player count) that all members can (optionally) submit to that facilitate the setup of uneven teams

campaign related:
    + kudos for adding a basic supply system to the ToB campaign
    * for a much more elegant way of addressing autoresolve of not so decisive battles and how armies reinforce each other mount and blade's marshal system could b a fitting reference. mbe there is a way to integrate the marshal concept in one way or the other
    -or-
    * instead of imposing a hard cap of 20 units per army introduce a more organic approach of having lower ranking officers command ~ 10/15 units at max and higher ones up to ~ 40 (with supply, replenishment and all considered)
    * * reinforcing armies in this case would trickle in so a count of 40 intact units is kept rather than exceed 40+ units
    * dynamic quest/notification-event system (may b interesting for 3 kings)

+ thx for addressing spaghetti lines
    + kudos for adding a basic supply system to the ToB campaign

• Tier1: Shogun 2 / Wh 2 / Warhammer
    • Tier2: Age of Charlemagne / Napoleon
    • Tier3: Attila / Medieval 2 / Rome
    • Accident: Rome II

• pending: ToB is yet to b acquired
    • pending: Three Kings not been released yet

Team Shadowgave
    Team Cao Wei
    wu xing graph

casual survey on tw skirmish battles
    casual survey provisional analysis
    let's learn about the diplomacy game first before comlaining about vassals!
  • clee24clee24 Junior Member Posts: 78Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    If the game will cover up till 1066, does that mean we'll see Sweyn Forkbeard and/or his son Canute the great? They conqoured england twice in the early 1000s if i recall correctly.
  • L_OstL_Ost Senior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    I'd like to know if bug corrections on the new game will be reported on Attila, if it uses the same engine platform.

To my despair, my Attila is broken, I don't know why battle flags doesn't shows up. I tried literally days to fix it. This made me stop playing the game unfortunually because in terms of ergonomy this is a disaster, and I don't want to discover "use the same Atila engine" means "you dude, will have the same bugs".

I'm extremly doubtfull because I feel stolen by this Attila episode : the game is superb but I can't use it, and I was not used to be that doubtfull in the past. I don't want anymore to play "60€ throw a random dice, meh you lost" when buying a CA game. It's like buying a delicious chocolate cake and discovering there was salt instead of sugar in it and that you will have to wait more years to be able to buy a new cake because the baker is trying himself at pizzas.

Buying year after the release doesn't help because support is over, buying before in precommand doesn't help because the game is very expensive + a catastrophic technicall mess : each time I buy a CA game (customer since med2 - skipped R2 and WH1+2 only), it's a coin flip. I somehow feel like Maurice Moss reading that fire extinguisher.

Before paying, I want to have insurance that things will work first now and I think it's not normal that this is a question that some of your player base is worry about. I'm part of that hopefully small % that adds up to the old % erosion. Do something, CA.

---

That been said, there is work to do on campaign & factions. In most of the previous titles I played, changing a faction doesn't really change the playing experience. Attila tried to change that and it was a very good idea, I do hope you will continue this way.

Oh. And I'd strongly advice your gamedesigners to try this game : https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/152470/fief-france-1429
    Oldschool sure. But try it.

Then hopefull you'll continue the story of England through the two hundred year wars between England and my country :p , then make us discover what happen in England during the 2 Roses.

But play that game a few time if that's your plan !
    Post edited by L_Ost on
  • L_OstL_Ost Senior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    The funny thing is the time period, which is announcing my prefered time period:

837 - Halley Comet. Viking incursion in France
    878 - Game starts as the Viking start to be frantic about England.
    886 - Vikings get frantic about France too.
    911 - King of France make Vikings stop their pillaging by giving Hrólfr Rögnvaldrsson (aka Rollo) green lands of Normandy. The king ask them to be convert to catholicism & make them a vassal. I suppose this doesn't help England.
    912 - Halley Comet.
    989 - Halley Comet. Start of "Peace of god" movement, (I don't know exactly why, but I'd guess the church is fearing the year 1000 rumored apocalypse)
    1000 - Apocalypse... Not. Well, maybe next time.
    1066 - Halley Comet, interpreted as a bad sign about the english king (as the superb 70 meters long Bayeux tapestry says).
    1066 - William, grand children of that Viking, is boring in France and go invade England. It was a lot more complicated than that because there is no "good and bad" guy in this story.

Then, we have my prefered time period, which is covering 1124 (Alienor's birth, what she did to EngloFrench relationship, what she showed about "the two" Frances too) up to the begining of "the" hundred year wars in 1337 which is telling to all English children "French are egoistic starvers" and to all French children "English are egoistics robbers".
    Post edited by L_Ost on
  • JackMack10JackMack10 Posts: 109Registered Users

One question important to me: You said it runs off Attila's engine but made optimisations to make the game sun smoothly. Can this please be also a patch for Attila? I run Rome II on mods like Divide et Impera improving unit sizes considerably, with 50-60 fps max everything, while Attila is under 20 not max everything, without mods. I would love to play Attila if only the performance was fixed. I run Warhammer better and it's a later game!

same ! would love to back to Attila if it had better performance
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 2,384Registered Users
    Glad for a new historical game, but honestly the setting is kinda 'meh.' Not going to be a ton of historical diversity between factions, too many big factions for my liking, and apart from a more focused map, not going to be substantially different from a Danish or Mercian campaign in AoC. I suppose though that VIKINGS! are easier to market than more interesting periods.

@Jack_Lusted_CA, since you've engaged this thread - I know you can't comment on future content, but if you do DLC campaigns - 6th c., please?
  • ZanatisZanatis Posts: 39Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Vessinger said:

While this isn't a region I would have preferred, I think your assumption that mostly people from regions that are represented in the game will have any interest is a bit off. Just looking at the sales figures for Shogun 2 by region shows it was, by a vast majority, bought by Europeans.

Kind of blows that out of the water doesn't it? I'm sure there are people out there that only want to play their home region, but those stats seem to indicate they're in the minority.

Some 510,000 Europeans and North Americans fought for the glory of the Japanese Empire. I know I put in 1,624 hours into it, and I've never even been to Japan!

You’re not really serious, are you? Comparing the Romans, Samurais, and Vikings to the Medieval Gallo-Romans and Celts?

Like I’ve said in other forums, Japanese history with their Samurais and Vikings recently became a thing (thank television for that), therefore they ought to be treated as outliers. On the other hand, Rome conquered most of Europe and most of our ancestors became part of that Empire, despite the fact that Roman culture represents one of the biggest foundations of the European culture. It’s very easy to counter my argument with Shogun, but early Medieval British history is not on the list of the most interesting ones, therefore it can’t generate that many sales.

Unfortunately the Saga won’t even be a Vikings focused title, which leaves us with only 2 scenarios, conquer all Britain as a Dane or unify it as a local.

Now most of us not to say all are historical titles fans and are curious (including myself) to give it a go, but do I want to spend £30 (I’m being optimistic with this price) to play 1 campaign and unify/conquer Britain? Yes we’re all history fans but this is not our cup of tea.

I’ve been playing TW since 2003 and I’ve known hundreds of players and I have undeniable proof (at least for myself) that all of tried many campaigns with famous factions like Rome, Carthage, Ptolemaic Egypt, Seleucids, England (Medieval 2), France (Napoleon), etc., but in all the save games I’ve seen there’s always 1 campaign with your ancestral nation that we identified that had 3-4 times more turns played than anything else.

Just look at when CA or modders are about to release new content and everyone is spamming with requests to include or improve their “preferred” factions. You won’t see an Iranian complaining about the Iceni, they’re always on about Persia and Sasanids, Greeks with Athens and Sparta, Spaniards with the Iberians and so on.

We all have a bias on this so why didn't they capitalize on it by either choosing a way more interesting region demanded by many more fans, or simply involve more European regions. Personally I’m a big fan of what they’re doing with the focus on 1 region only and I hope they do another Saga elsewhere as I’m completely uninterested in Grand Campaigns conquering the entire world, but it seems obvious that most TW fans don’t like that and especially if it’s not around the Mediterranean mostly.

Now good luck putting 1,624 hours conqering Britain only, especially if you’re not originally from there. I’d never spend more than 20-30 hours at best knowing I can play as a truly great civilization and spread it everywhere, instead of invading and raiding fortified villages and towns that look the same on top of the depressingly bad weather lol

But of course investing hundreds of hours for the glory of Japan, Rome or the Dwarfs of Clan Angrund makes total sense.

Medieval Britain is more glorious than Rome?

Mercian warriors (or whatever) are more famous than Samurais?

Don’t bring Dwarves into a historical title conversation. Like I said in TWC, a Total War: For Honor where you could have Knights Vs Vikings Vs Samurais is far more interesting than a historical ONLY Vikings vs Britons.

Besides the monotonous battles what else do you do? Build glorious fishing/farming settlements as Vikings? Glorious Celtic cities?
  • Delder07ltDelder07lt Posts: 1Registered Users
    Isn't this just a remake of the medieval total war expansion Viking invasion?
    Zanatis said:

Like I’ve said in other forums, Japanese history with their Samurais and Vikings recently became a thing (thank television for that)

They might have just become a thing you've noticed in your life because they've been on TV a lot recently. Don't assume other people are only interested in them because of that, that doesn't make any sense.
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators

Isn't this just a remake of the medieval total war expansion Viking invasion?

Not really. It is set later after the invasions and the Great Heathen Army. Vikings are there and settled in England.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.

They might have just become a thing you've noticed in your life because they've been on TV a lot recently. Don't assume other people are only interested in them because of that, that doesn't make any sense.

Television simply creates awareness and it’s later up to us to dig in for more information to read and end up liking it. Your statements makes sense mostly if you’re a history graduate and happen to have never watched The Last Samurai, other TV is what drives and influences most of our interests together with internet. You don’t just walk into a library and bump into the Japanese history section and get hooked within minutes.

Anyway it’s pointless arguing as we’ll see how successful this release will be. I doubt it will reach CA’s expectations despite everyone’s eagerness for new historical content, aggressive marketing on Vikings, the high demand from fans of British ancestry, and the fact that Jack Lusted is behind it.
  • Paddy234Paddy234 Senior Member Posts: 353Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Zanatis said:

Great news...for the people of British and Scandinavian descent mostly.

For the rest of us, I don’t think the value of the added features will be £30 to simply get a better version of Age of Charlemagne, although AoC covers most of Europe and therefore most of TW fans’ historical interest.

Hard to imagine that non-Brits/Scandinavians would invest hundreds of hours of gameplay for the glory of Britain. Granted all the historical fans including myself will be curious to try out every Total War title, but buying the game just to do 1 campaign doesn’t cut it (at least for me).

What is left is to pray to Hollywood or History Channel to come up with a new historical kickass movie or TV show on the periods that the vast majority of us are interested so that CA can obviously chase those idea and make some decent bucks.

Apologies for the negativity but I’m happy for you guys that can’t wait for its release and I’m just jealous I haven’t had the same feeling since 2013.

Is it not also good news for us Irish folk aswell??. There are millions of people in the world with Irish ancestry who are interested in its history nevermind those with British and Scandinavian
    Paddy234 said:

Zanatis said:

For the rest of us, I don’t think the value of the added features will be £30 to simply get a better version of Age of Charlemagne, although AoC covers most of Europe and therefore most of TW fans’ historical interest.

Hard to imagine that non-Brits/Scandinavians would invest hundreds of hours of gameplay for the glory of Britain. Granted all the historical fans including myself will be curious to try out every Total War title, but buying the game just to do 1 campaign doesn’t cut it (at least for me).

What is left is to pray to Hollywood or History Channel to come up with a new historical kickass movie or TV show on the periods that the vast majority of us are interested so that CA can obviously chase those idea and make some decent bucks.

Apologies for the negativity but I’m happy for you guys that can’t wait for its release and I’m just jealous I haven’t had the same feeling since 2013.

Is it not also good news for us Irish folk aswell??. There are millions of people in the world with Irish ancestry who are interested in its history nevermind those with British and Scandinavian
    I meant the British Isles in general. Obviously I didn't mean simply the UK and leave Ireland out of it.
  • VessingerVessinger Senior Member Posts: 936Registered Users
    Paddy234 said:

Zanatis said:

I'm not Irish but I do like the idea of taking over the British Isles while playing as Ireland, just like I did with the ME II Britannia campaign. The lack of gunpowder will take some of the fun out of it in this game though.
  • Paddy234Paddy234 Senior Member Posts: 353Registered Users
    edited November 2017
    Zanatis said:

Paddy234 said:

Zanatis said:

I meant the British Isles in general. Obviously I didn't mean simply the UK and leave Ireland out of it.
    Ireland isn't part of the British isles though ;)
    Paddy234 said:

Are you sure? Check again.
    Zanatis said:

Television simply creates awareness and it’s later up to us to dig in for more information to read and end up liking it. Your statements makes sense mostly if you’re a history graduate and happen to have never watched The Last Samurai, other TV is what drives and influences most of our interests together with internet. You don’t just walk into a library and bump into the Japanese history section and get hooked within minutes.
    This is the Total War community - Warhammer notwithstanding it is full of people hooked on various times and places in history and always has been, whatever their level of study and whatever TV series are made.

The idea that a couple of million people already interested in a military history game are just waiting for the TV to tell them to like a historical period doesn't make much sense, really. YMMV I guess.
    Paddy234 said:

Yes it is. The British Isles is a geographical location that include Ireland.

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,596Registered Users
    Paddy234 said:

Zanatis said:

Paddy234 said:

Zanatis said:

Oh please, judging by the name I can guess where you are from but I guarantee you Ireland will always be recognized as part of the British Isles no matter how much you may wish otherwise.