Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Get ready for Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA.

13»

Comments

• Warrior_OWarrior_O Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    @JackLustedCA

Will you guys implement the ability to garrison units inside buildings and towers? Last time that was done was NTW and it worked well (except when the AI would just stand outside and get butchered instead of taking the building). It gives the ability to protect your units vs cavalry and helps visibility of ranged troops, which means your less likely to kill your own. Would you guys consider that for TW Saga Britannia and any future games?
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 9,566Registered Users
    Warrior_O said:

@JackLustedCA

Will you guys implement the ability to garrison units inside buildings and towers? Last time that was done was NTW and it worked well (except when the AI would just stand outside and get butchered instead of taking the building). It gives the ability to protect your units vs cavalry and helps visibility of ranged troops, which means your less likely to kill your own. Would you guys consider that for TW Saga Britannia and any future games?

I think that would be more of a thing in a "gun base" TW then a melee base TW.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • FredrinFredrin Senior Member LondonPosts: 3,012Registered Users
    Back OT, very interesting vid here with Whelan interviewing Jack Lusted:

[Aside] Jack, what's going on? The epaulettes appear to have fallen off your naval uniform :D

Just want to say, I 100% agree with Jack here re the choice to stage this game during the Kingdom-building phase after the Viking incursions, to avoid too much replication of gameplay with razing in Attila and Chaos marauding in WH. It would have just been too much - much better to focus on the power vacuum left behind.

I'm stoked we're going to get a chance to play as Alfred and oversee his conquest and stewardship of England. He was pretty progressive for a ruler of his time, establishing loads of interesting new structures and institutions around education, law and the military - very intrigued to see how this is reflected in campaign gameplay.

• PrometheusPrometheus Senior Member Posts: 765Registered Users
    Will this game feature low graphics for units like Rome II and Attila or high standard ones like Shogun II and Warhammer?

Also there will be castles and sieges?
  • PrometheusPrometheus Senior Member Posts: 765Registered Users
    I hope this will introduce back more focused gameplay and multiplayer like Shogun II .
  • Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 503Registered Users
    edited November 2017

ULFBERHT SWORD - FAKE

Did anyone notice the 'Ulfberht' sword held by the central character?

The 'Ulfberht' swords were extremely high quality steel swords, far superior to any used in Western Europe for hundreds of years.

Cudos to CA for this level of detail.

Unfortunately for the aforementioned character, he's holding a cheap ripoff that would likely have shattered in combat. The genuine article made use of the +ULFBERH+T branding welded into the fuller. A known contemporary fake (with low carbon and high impurities) used +ULFBERHT+

The sword in the picture depicts +ULFBERHT+ .. the fake.

Just a passing observation :)

Post edited by Psycho_V on
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • qtardianqtardian Posts: 3Registered Users
    I love the concept! It is, to be sure, near periods that has been covered by plenty of games, shows, movies, etc. Yet this seems like it will be an entirely new approach.

Also, I like your concept of a multi-polar point of balance. Many of the suggestions by other forum members seem to want to see points in history that are bi-polar, such as a World War or the US Civil War. I agree with CA's assessment, that the Total War concept and engine is much better suited to this (though the recent Syrian Civil War would be interesting... though I understand why you would stay away from that)

Total War is the only game I have ever played where real military tactics apply in the majority of situations. Thanks for keeping the historic team going.
  • Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 503Registered Users
    • "Actual terrain height data as the basis for the height maps we use for both battle and campaign"
    • "Dr Neil McGuigan from the University of St Andrews .. most historically authentic depiction we can"
    • "10 playable factions"
    • "Historic names"
    • Huge Map
    :) Sounding promising so far.
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • ChreeesChreees Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm hoping for Total War: Britannia to have an improved multiplayer campaign. I would love to play Total War campaigns with my friends head to head with out waiting for their turns. This is why I play Civ with friends online even though I think Total War is the superior game. The simultaneous turns in Civ make the experience far better. I would be really happy if this or another solution was implemented.

Thanks.
  • bulldog1986bulldog1986 Posts: 9Registered Users
    I'm really surprised they haven't pushed the limit on history and have at least gone up to the World War 1 period. I think they could pull it off now. I mean in Warhammer they proved they can do copters (biplanes wouldn't be much faster) and fliers, they also proved they have the mechanics of tanks down as well. I think they only thing they would struggle on is naval warfare, but hey, that's the next step and challenge to overcome!

I think creatively speaking, something like WWI would push their absolute limits, at the same time pushing up to the latest period they possibly could without going too "Modern", which they have steered away from for so long. With their experiences, it would essentially be something slightly larger scale than Empire Total War, but along the same as Warhammer two as far as map size, with limited amount of factions (About 20 factions total, maybe 30ish if you include some minor countries that didn't play a major role in there).

I think with the engines they have now, the experience they have had in past games (Napoleon, Empire, and larger scale games like Warhammer) they could totally pull it off now.

Not to mention the only A class title I can think of that has even remotely covered WW1 was Battlefield 1, which is hardly a representation of the war or period at hand.
  • alsaadialsaadi Posts: 18Registered Users
    Please develop diplomacy, make it important and improve trade
  • AndrewRAndrewR Posts: 1Registered Users
    I like the gameplay from last 3-4 Total War games.But i will love 2 see more often cinematics(you have so much motivation on it,history information,i never skip the cinematics,even in Total War Warhammer 2..cinematics are total 0..i mean 2002 like..).And i will love to see Total War become..playable(not so much bugs,game crash,graphic optimization) on relase not after 1 year like Attila.
  • treadwintreadwin Posts: 2Registered Users
    If you read "The Saxon Tales" by Bernard Cromwell, you will be buying this the minute it comes out. The books are fiction, but lots of fun, and they are not romance novels like so much historical fiction these days.

I also hope some of the playability from TW Warhammer leaks across into this Attila clone. Lets not forget it is a game designers! (please)

And I hope I will be able to name one of my Wessex Generals Uhtred of Bebbanburgh.

treadwin said:

If you read "The Saxon Tales" by Bernard Cromwell, you will be buying this the minute it comes out. The books are fiction, but lots of fun, and they are not romance novels like so much historical fiction these days.

I also hope some of the playability from TW Warhammer leaks across into this Attila clone. Lets not forget it is a game designers! (please)

And I hope I will be able to name one of my Wessex Generals Uhtred of Bebbanburgh.

I'm quite enjoying the TV adaptation "The Last Kingdom"... and I rarely say that about BBC dramas! Beats the crap out of Vikings, that's for sure... probably because it contains a fair bit of Cornwell's original dialogue.

The glamourisation of Uhtred as marauding heartthrob/ lovable rogue is all a bit much, but quite entertaining I suppose.

I can't think of any other series set during the Danelaw with these kind of production values and it's quite a fun way of encountering the major players of the time.
  • alsaadialsaadi Posts: 18Registered Users
    I hope that diplomacy will improve and make lists of treason and make the political process is not always wars and political wars must be formed ...... (( Who agree with me the pressure of a button like ))
  • TheWittyWatermelomTheWittyWatermelom Member Posts: 123Registered Users
    Any idea on the release date?
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,227Moderators

Sometime in 2018 is the official response from CA.

I would guess Q2 sometime, but that is only my guess.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.

Sometime in 2018 is the official response from CA.

I would guess Q2 sometime, but that is only my guess.
    Aye, my money's on April/May. That first hit of fresh historical TW in 3 years is gonna feel sweeeeeeet
  • SchepelSchepel Senior Member Posts: 1,444Registered Users

jamreal18 said:

Is it different from Britannia Campaign in Medieval 2?

The Britannia Campaign was one campaign in an expansion for Medieval 2. Thrones of Britannia is a complete standalone title focused on the British Isles around 878 AD. Expect a lot more detail than there was in the Britannia campaign, and the start date being 400 years earlier means it is a very different situation.
    Nice choice for a time period. This is actual TW territory: many different factions, literal constant total war in actual history: great. The fact you went to the trouble of using the probable (nothing is certain) historical names sold me immediately to the title. I absolutely love this!
    Zanatis said:

Great news...for the people of British and Scandinavian descent mostly.

For the rest of us, I don’t think the value of the added features will be £30 to simply get a better version of Age of Charlemagne, although AoC covers most of Europe and therefore most of TW fans’ historical interest.

Hard to imagine that non-Brits/Scandinavians would invest hundreds of hours of gameplay for the glory of Britain. Granted all the historical fans including myself will be curious to try out every Total War title, but buying the game just to do 1 campaign doesn’t cut it (at least for me).

What is left is to pray to Hollywood or History Channel to come up with a new historical kickass movie or TV show on the periods that the vast majority of us are interested so that CA can obviously chase those idea and make some decent bucks.

Apologies for the negativity but I’m happy for you guys that can’t wait for its release and I’m just jealous I haven’t had the same feeling since 2013.

I am not British (well, if you look far enough back, my ancestors did hop over the water with a certain Dutch William), but I *am* looking forward to this game. One doesn't have to be from a certain place to like the setting, you know. I hugely enjoyed Shogun TW. Still do, as a matter of fact. The potential of this era is that you can play quite a few different factions. Not only did several different Scandinavian factions try to conquer the isles, several 'English' factions of roughly equal strength were constantly at war as well. Barring Irish and Scottish 'kingdoms', I can think of around seven distinct candidates for playable factions. (4 British, 3 Scandinavian) Unless it is going to be just about Alfred the Great, there should be several ways to play the campaign.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,088Registered Users

Before Tomb Kings and before Three Kingdoms. :)
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,088Registered Users
    Schepel said:

Zanatis said:

Great news...for the people of British and Scandinavian descent mostly.

For the rest of us, I don’t think the value of the added features will be £30 to simply get a better version of Age of Charlemagne, although AoC covers most of Europe and therefore most of TW fans’ historical interest.

Hard to imagine that non-Brits/Scandinavians would invest hundreds of hours of gameplay for the glory of Britain. Granted all the historical fans including myself will be curious to try out every Total War title, but buying the game just to do 1 campaign doesn’t cut it (at least for me).

What is left is to pray to Hollywood or History Channel to come up with a new historical kickass movie or TV show on the periods that the vast majority of us are interested so that CA can obviously chase those idea and make some decent bucks.

Apologies for the negativity but I’m happy for you guys that can’t wait for its release and I’m just jealous I haven’t had the same feeling since 2013.

I am not British (well, if you look far enough back, my ancestors did hop over the water with a certain Dutch William), but I *am* looking forward to this game. One doesn't have to be from a certain place to like the setting, you know. I hugely enjoyed Shogun TW. Still do, as a matter of fact. The potential of this era is that you can play quite a few different factions. Not only did several different Scandinavian factions try to conquer the isles, several 'English' factions of roughly equal strength were constantly at war as well. Barring Irish and Scottish 'kingdoms', I can think of around seven distinct candidates for playable factions. (4 British, 3 Scandinavian) Unless it is going to be just about Alfred the Great, there should be several ways to play the campaign.
    My 'people' has never been represented even once in Tital War games. Never stop me from enjoying all Total War games since the first Shogun until Warhammer.

• IntranetusaIntranetusa Junior Member Posts: 598Registered Users
    Schepel said:

According to some TW fans, only Chinese people will buy 3 Kingdoms TW and only British people will buy Thrones of Britannia.

I guess this means only Italians bought Rome Total War...

As long as it is a historical TW, I'll buy it.
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
    @mmurray821

This is actually quite brilliant. :smiley:

Until recently, I would have echoed your 'as long as it is historical ...', but 'three kingdoms' might put that to the test, unfortunately. Plus, with this saga title and WH TW, I might just have enough TW games to keep me occupied for a long, long while. Not to mention I am still planning to do a few thorough replays of RTW2. Could there be such a thing as too many TW games?

I saw that quote on an engineering forum somewhere and thought it was awesome.

Usually it takes me a while to get into the Asian TW games as I'm not super familiar with the history. But once I get going a bit and do some research it becomes pretty enjoyable. Still think I will like Thrones better, but could be very happily surprised.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 17,899Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Put me down for both Thrones and the Three Kingdoms. Like where this is going....
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • ThierryVilmartThierryVilmart Posts: 119Registered Users
    edited February 2018
    It would be nice if the game makes clear the facts that are historically correct, with videos illustrating them.

For certain people, historical exactness can be extremely interesting.

However, there is a big risk to distort history to make the game easier to sell. See the reactions of people not really fond of discovering new and unknown details of history, saying "oh im not from great britain it wont interest me". Or one guy saying he wants a mix with Norsca with mammoths.

For the punic wars between Carthage and Rome, all those small key events make the history extremely interesting. The videos of Total war with Hannibal on elephants with the Roman senate were awesome.

This is also why I considered Attila more interesting to "beastmen" in Warhammer during a very long time. THen I learnt how to like Warhammer too due to so much content.

• CollingwoodCollingwood Member Posts: 110Registered Users
    My word.
    I haven't played any of the series for a while until very recently when I revisited the medieval II Britannia campaign. That was after the Charlemagne add-on for Attila, which I played as King Offa a couple of years ago.

Logged onto the forum out of interest and Bang! A new venture into my favourite period of British history.

Thankyou gentlemen.
    'In Peace, prepare for War. In War, prepare for more War' - Anon
  • CollingwoodCollingwood Member Posts: 110Registered Users
    Zanatis said:

Paddy234 said:

Ireland isn't part of the British isles though ;)

Are you sure? Check again.
    Funny how even natives confuse Great Britain, The British Isles and the United Kingdom......
    'In Peace, prepare for War. In War, prepare for more War' - Anon