Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Attila? Are you kidding?

amitchell22amitchell22 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 146
It was a mess. Basically this is going to be a Rome II mod (just like Attila). why wasn't Attila fixed to begin with if you can fix the performance now? This is baffling.

There is no greater time period than antiquity / classical antiquity and I really hope we get some PROPER games in those settings. If we can't get that I'll settle for a Westeros Total War.

Comments

• HrafnHrafn Registered Users Posts: 305
    edited November 2017
    You're getting an all new campaign for Rome II.

Plenty of antiquity to go around. Chill bro.
  • DolorousEddDolorousEdd Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 555

It was a mess. Basically this is going to be a Rome II mod (just like Attila). why wasn't Attila fixed to begin with if you can fix the performance now? This is baffling.

There is no greater time period than antiquity / classical antiquity and I really hope we get some PROPER games in those settings. If we can't get that I'll settle for a Westeros Total War.

If you want a Westeros Total War, I'm pretty sure that a game set in Britannia like Thrones of Britannia is the closest you'll get right now. Closer than antiquity games.
    Team Dwarfs
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Crooked Moon
    Team Cult of Pleasure
    Team Clan Pestilens
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,932
    Personally I just want an East Asia or Middle East/India/Central Asia game but you do you.
  • amitchell22amitchell22 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 146
    Hrafn said:

False. How long have I had to put up with fairies, dragons and witches with silly hats? I want war, not tabletop game with animated characters. We are getting a $20 mod, not an all new campaign.
    edited November 2017

Hrafn said:

False. How long have I had to put up with fairies, dragons and witches with silly hats? I want war, not tabletop game with animated characters. We are getting a $20 mod, not an all new campaign.
    So what would you suggest? What should they have done? Be specific.

Comment removed.
    Post edited by dge1 on
    edited November 2017
    Quote and comment removed.

Having a hard time conceptualizing exactly what you're looking for. Rome III? Total War : Odysseus? Sacred Band Manlove Simulator 2018?

That's why I asked what exactly you were looking for. Specifically. What would you have done if you were running CA?

Posts edited or deleted. Keep the personal innuendo to yourself.
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,972
    Yeah... I thought Attila was the "Fall of the Samurai" to Rome II. So technically this is like Fall of the Samurai to Fall of the Samurai.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Registered Users Posts: 2,009
    CA just needs to clean up performance issues. Do that 64 bit support like the warhammer series.
  • jimmy44jimmy44 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 351
    Yea performance is my one concern for this game. Attila was poorly optimised.
  • MrJadeMrJade Senior Member Lansing, MIRegistered Users Posts: 7,165

Yeah... I thought Attila was the "Fall of the Samurai" to Rome II. So technically this is like Fall of the Samurai to Fall of the Samurai.

It's Fall of the Samurai to Charlemagne which is an expansion, Rise of the Samurai-like, to Attila, a Fall of the Samurai to Rome II.

So in reality, it's Fall of the Samurai to a Rise of the Samurai to a Fall of the Samurai.

Because now we can pretty much play from the year 768 to 1066 in the UK.
    Thrones of Britannia: 69/100
    Warhammer II: 73/100
    Warhammer: 79/100
    Attila: 70/100 [Age of Charlemagne: 72/100]
    Rome II: 49/100
    Shogun II: 93/100 [Fall of the Samurai: 95/100]
    Napoleon: 58/100
    Empire: 53/100
    Medieval II: 90/100 [Kingdoms: 90/100]
    Rome I: 88/100
    Medieval I: 92/100
    Shogun I: 84/100
    jimmy44 said:

KGpoopy said:

CA just needs to clean up performance issues. Do that 64 bit support like the warhammer series.

How did Warhammer perform?
  • TheGhostOfProman16TheGhostOfProman16 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,749
    edited November 2017

jimmy44 said:

KGpoopy said:

Warhammer runs great I get a higher fps in those games then I do in Rome 2 or Attila .

Also in the FAQ they mentioned that they didn't want to mention the system requirements yet as they are trying to make the game run as smooth as possible so I'm sure it will work better than base Atilla
    Died during the great YOYO wars

jimmy44 said:

KGpoopy said:

Warhammer runs great I get a higher fps in those games then I do in Rome 2 or Attila .

Also in the FAQ they mentioned that they didn't want to mention the system requirements yet as they are trying to make the game run as smooth as possible so I'm sure it will work better than base Atilla

I hope you're right. I would like an explanation as to why they didn't fix Attila.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,229
    edited November 2017
    I think you might be jumping the gun here, considering we don't know anything about the game yet beyond it's setting.

It was a mess. Basically this is going to be a Rome II mod (just like Attila). why wasn't Attila fixed to begin with if you can fix the performance now? This is baffling..

Maybe Attila wasn't fixed because to do so would require practically disassembling the game and putting it back together again, or completely rebuilding it from the ground up? Maybe they can fix the performance for this game precisely because they're building the game from scratch and they've identified the underlying problem in early development?
    I don't know, I'm not a developer. It's just a guess.

You're saying that likes it's somehow a much easier thing for CA to make a TW: Westeros.
  • CaractacusMagnusCaractacusMagnus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 370
    edited November 2017

We are getting a $20 mod, not an all new campaign.

None of us has played it, so you have no idea whether that is true.

You're talking out of your "ear" frankly.
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Sacramento, CAModerators Posts: 5,230

New map, new factions, new units... far, far more than a mod
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
    Hrafn said:

Having a hard time conceptualizing exactly what you're looking for. Rome III? Total War : Odysseus? Sacred Band Manlove Simulator 2018?

That's why I asked what exactly you were looking for. Specifically. What would you have done if you were running CA?

Still waiting for an answer, OP. It's clear you're not satisfied with what we're getting; so what *should* we get?
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    This is an amazing history snack to hold everyone over if they dont enjoy WH. Better yet play both, you'll enjoy them.
  • KGpoopyKGpoopy Registered Users Posts: 2,009

New map, new factions, new units... far, far more than a mod
    "New map, new factions, new units"

You think it's going to be better than the Age of Vikings mod? It would have to be anyway. :smile:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=780572352
  • Red_GeneralRed_General Member Registered Users Posts: 181

why wasn't Attila fixed to begin with if you can fix the performance now? This is baffling..

This is by all accounts a FIXED Attila, the only issue is we're paying for it!

• CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,189

Atilla was the best total war game since Shogun 2.

I'm just going to be thankful that we are not going to have Warhammer Sieges.
  • GamgeeGamgee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,170
    CnConrad said:

Atilla was the best total war game since Shogun 2.

I'm just going to be thankful that we are not going to have Warhammer Sieges.
    No it most certainly wasn't. It is a terribly designed TW. It had a few good features but was otherwise over bloated mess that ran poorly. It was so bad I'm not buying Saga until I see its improved performance with my own eyes. Even then if I get it I'm keeping one finger on refund button just in case the "reviews" were so wrong and BS like they were for Attila.
    Prophet of Cathay.

After I'm proven right will you make a thread apologizing?
    Hrafn said:

Hrafn said:

Still waiting for an answer, OP. It's clear you're not satisfied with what we're getting; so what *should* we get?

I just wanted what was promised from the get go. I'm happy for them to use the ATTILA engine to make ROME II DLC (which was a $40 mod). Now we are going to buy (at least I'm buying it as I do all CA historical titles) another $20 mod. We are being told they will fix performance. Something that should have never been an issue. We STILL TO THIS DAY haven't been told why they didn't bother to fix it the 1st time around. If this doesn't stink to high heaven I don't know what to tell you.
  • EagleofPatmosEagleofPatmos Registered Users Posts: 3
    I am excited for thrones of Britannia, however, it just seems too close to Attila.

Hrafn said:

Hrafn said:

I just wanted what was promised from the get go. I'm happy for them to use the ATTILA engine to make ROME II DLC (which was a $40 mod). Now we are going to buy (at least I'm buying it as I do all CA historical titles) another $20 mod. We are being told they will fix performance. Something that should have never been an issue. We STILL TO THIS DAY haven't been told why they didn't bother to fix it the 1st time around. If this doesn't stink to high heaven I don't know what to tell you.
    So you're fine with Thrones; you just want it on a better engine?

Or to hell with Thrones, fix Attila?
  • kinjokinjo Senior Member ArizonaRegistered Users Posts: 1,524
    I do hope battle maps gets a bit of an overhaul to be a bit darker and gritty. It would be nice also to see settlements redone to fit the period and sieges will need some work with no factions using artillery during this period for the most part.

Siege battles should be more about defending choke points then scaling walls and knocking down gates. Though there was some neat forts, siege equipment would mostly limited to ladders and battering rams.

Good thing is the engine supports naval assults which should be pretty cool for the viking settler factions.
  • CaractacusMagnusCaractacusMagnus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 370
    edited November 2017

After I'm proven right will you make a thread apologizing?
    After its release we can all discuss whether it's good or bad, but your old comment will still be nonsense posted before anyone had seen it, so that will certainly not happen on either count.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,171
    I'll be curious to see how much of Attila/Charlemagne campaign mechanics are carried over like sanitation and war weariness.

I'll be pretty disappointed if I have to build 6 buildings in each province just to survive the food/public order/religion/sanitation mini game and get penalised for fighting things in a Total War game.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

• DariosDarios Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 534
    MrJade said:

Because now we can pretty much play from the year 768 to 1066 in the UK.

Yet, we cannot play with Constantinople, the Queen of Cities, the greatest city of Late Antiquity and the Dark Ages, except in a gimmicky campaign with magic Hunnic death stacks, endless hordes of Sassanids, homing missile CAI, and most of the map razed.