Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Normans

swarmiswarmi Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 13
Will the game end just before the Norman conquest or will they be an emergent faction/scripted event?

Comments

• DolorousEddDolorousEdd Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 555
    I think it ends before. But I believe that we will almost certainly get a Normans' conquest campaign DLC.
    Team Dwarfs
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Crooked Moon
    Team Cult of Pleasure
    Team Clan Pestilens
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,188
    Considering the game is 4tpy based on jacks comments on reddit I'll assume the Norman aren't coming as it would take over 700 turns to get to them.
  • AxelradAxelrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 633
    edited November 2017

I think it ends before. But I believe that we will almost certainly get a Normans' conquest campaign DLC.

Same. Like Krunch alludes to, when Jack mentioned the timespan of 878-1066, he seemed to be talking about units & tech included. It's safe to assume most players will beat the game well before 1066 actually arrives. However, if they are going to release campaign DLC for this title (as they've hinted) then Norman Invasion seems a top contender.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,306
    It will be nice to see MP gameplay featuring Normans.

If ever, hope it's Pixellated_Apollo or anyone else who really knows how to showcase real-time battle unlike Lionheart who is only playing for himself.
  • HunorHunor Registered Users Posts: 132
    We get Norman invasion! After we reach all victory conditions .
  • mfr001mfr001 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 217
    edited April 2018
    The invasion of 1016 by Cnut is closer in time and might offer a wider range of different participants. The usual suspects plus and enlarged Wessex but with rebellious regions, in particular the former Kingdom of Mercia. When Cnut dies followed by his son it then unravels. This could allow an Atilla-like challenge, hold on until Cnut dies and then see how much of Britain you can grab.
    Just my 2 penningr.

(Should that be penningar or penningir?)
  • KregenKregen Member Registered Users Posts: 487
    mfr001 said:

The invasion of 1016 by Cnut is closer in time and might offer a wider range of different participants. The usual suspects plus and enlarged Wessex but with rebellious regions, in particular the former Kingdom of Mercia. When Cnut dies followed by his son it then unravels. This could allow an Atilla-like challenge, hold on until Cnut dies and then see how much of Britain you can grab.
    Just my 2 penningr.

For me that is also the more interesting option of the two, the Norman invasion is done to death where as other just as important events get left by the wayside.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Registered Users Posts: 2,370
    Kregen said:

mfr001 said:

Just my 2 penningr.

For me that is also the more interesting option of the two, the Norman invasion is done to death where as other just as important events get left by the wayside.
    Yeah, Norman invasion is like so overdone. Would love Cnut instead
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 1,532
    No thanks, just want the Norman invasion expansion dlc!
    LESAMA said:

No thanks, just want the Norman invasion expansion dlc!

each to their own lets hope we both get what we want.
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,380
    edited April 2018
    Hunor said:

We get Norman invasion! After we reach all victory conditions .

Depends on your location:
    Depending on where your territory is, these can be Norsemen (if your territory is mainly in the north), Danes (if it's in the Midlands), or Normans (if you hold the south).

Beat all the invading armies to win the ultimate victory, but note that if you're on Legendary difficulty, you'll have to deal with all three!

https://www.pcgamesn.com/a-total-war-saga-thrones-of-britannia/thrones-of-britannia-gameplay-release-date-factions-victory-conditions-normans
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,465
    I suppose a DLC campaign that just expands the map to include north of France to allow for a development of the Norman faction would allow for this.

Other than that no, ToB's theme is definitely viking/ English rather than the later Norman.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    daelin4 said:

I suppose a DLC campaign that just expands the map to include north of France to allow for a development of the Norman faction would allow for this.

Other than that no, ToB's theme is definitely viking/ English rather than the later Norman.

Normans are in end game so yes we can expect a Norman DLC with fully fleshed out mechanics. I personally am looking forward to it. Historical or not.
    edited April 2018
    I prefer 1 more Irish and Scots than Normans.

Historically, they arrived in 1066 and the game starts at 878 so it's inappropriate to have them as playable in Campaign
    edited April 2018
    jamreal18 said:

Historicall, they arrived in 1066 and the game starts at 878 so it's inappropriate to have them as playable in Campaign

It would be ok if it was a full campaign with a different start/end year. Something like 1060 to 1090 with maybe 6 or 12 turns a year. That’s realy focused just right for a saga game.

How ever in with you that I would like also to explore the earlier periods a bit more. What would be realy great would be if they made a four part expansion covering 1 the post Roman invasion , 2 the rise and fall of Northumbria and Mercia, 3 something more focused on Ireland and Scotland, and then the Norman invasion. But then ToB would have to make a larg profit first I would think.
  • DariosDarios Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 441
    Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

Historicall, they arrived in 1066 and the game starts at 878 so it's inappropriate to have them as playable in Campaign

It would be ok if it was a full campaign with a different start/end year. Something like 1060 to 1090 with maybe 6 or 12 turns a year. That’s realy focused just right for a saga game.

How ever in with you that I would like also to explore the earlier periods a bit more. What would be realy great would be if they made a four part expansion covering 1 the post Roman invasion , 2 the rise and fall of Northumbria and Mercia, 3 something more focused on Ireland and Scotland, and then the Norman invasion. But then ToB would have to make a larg profit first I would think.
    Or how about releasing something that focuses on a part of the world other than the British Isles/Western Europe? Since Attila has been released, every DLC (we'll include ToB for the sake of argument as it is a spin-off of Attila) has been a more zoomed in version of the same area and roughly the same period.

Mind you, it would be cool to see some of the other factions from the ToB campaign map released as DLC factions for the sake of experiencing different start positions (i.e. Orkney Islands) but let's try to leave the Normans as a late game threat (which is really cool in my opinion) as opposed to stretching a game focusing on the Viking Age to include constructing Norman England.
    Darios said:

Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

Or how about releasing something that focuses on a part of the world other than the British Isles/Western Europe? Since Attila has been released, every DLC (we'll include ToB for the sake of argument as it is a spin-off of Attila) has been a more zoomed in version of the same area and roughly the same period.

Mind you, it would be cool to see some of the other factions from the ToB campaign map released as DLC factions for the sake of experiencing different start positions (i.e. Orkney Islands) but let's try to leave the Normans as a late game threat (which is really cool in my opinion) as opposed to stretching a game focusing on the Viking Age to include constructing Norman England.
    By all means other suggestions in different times and places are welcome, but at the moment we are discussing a possible Norman dlc/expansion or possible alternative in this thread which is called Norman’s.
    Kregen said:

Darios said:

Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

By all means other suggestions in different times and places are welcome, but at the moment we are discussing a possible Norman dlc/expansion or possible alternative in this thread which is called Norman’s.
    Why should there be any talk of a Norman expansion/DLC? They are already present in ToB as an end game challenge. Anything beyond that would literally be Medieval 3 Total War, which should be its own major title.
    Darios said:

Kregen said:

Darios said:

Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

Why should there be any talk of a Norman expansion/DLC? They are already present in ToB as an end game challenge. Anything beyond that would literally be Medieval 3 Total War, which should be its own major title.
    Well mostly because we can and it interest us, but if it doesn’t happen I will not get bent out of shape about in any way. Make some suggestions yourself may be we can talk about that instead. Just interested why would any thing past 1066 be med 3, it could just as easily be a focused saga game about any of the events from then up to now, and covering it in the same way ToB does its subject. It is after all idle speculation what CXA will do next that’s really up to them.
    Darios said:

Kregen said:

Darios said:

Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

You mentioned Medieval 3, my heart is thumping fast. Hoping by 2020/2021/2022, Medieval 3 will be announced.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,188
    Darios said:

Kregen said:

Darios said:

Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

No it would be a war set in Britain, the whole point of this title. Also, are you seriously saying there should be a DLC for ToB that is set outside Britain? Britain should very much be the focus of every DLC. Hence why Norman Conquests are just as valid as something coming before the Period. Heck, I would love a period set in a more Medieval era like the wars of Scottish Independence, as that would add some real new gameplay. Though I would also be totally down for something before the period as I said, or the more related Conquest.
    Krunch said:

Darios said:

Kregen said:

Darios said:

Kregen said:

jamreal18 said:

No it would be a war set in Britain, the whole point of this title. Also, are you seriously saying there should be a DLC for ToB that is set outside Britain? Britain should very much be the focus of every DLC. Hence why Norman Conquests are just as valid as something coming before the Period. Heck, I would love a period set in a more Medieval era like the wars of Scottish Independence, as that would add some real new gameplay. Though I would also be totally down for something before the period as I said, or the more related Conquest.
    No, I am saying that ToB (Which is already a glorified "Fall of the Samurai style" DLC itself) does not need a DLC campaign for it. Any potential DLC for the game should probably be limited to unlocking a few additional factions on the campaign map and fleshing them out. ToB is a "Saga" title, which probably means that it will have limited support post release and the team will probably begin moving on to another project. CA has spent a lot of time fine tuning the mechanics for ToB to perfectly reflect the shield wall warfare of the Dark Ages. The creation of a post-Norman campaign would force the need to radically change the battle mechanics.
    Normans are already in the end game so no need to make large adjustments. Furthermore it makes sense from a resource perspective while the units are already developed by CA and playable in custom battles. Making them playable in the campaign seems then a minor step. As already stated previously I for one would love a William the Conqueror campaign.

Furthermore I love the look and feel of the normans. So thumbs up for me!

Has anyone from CA confirmed that Normans are a possible end game challenge? I don't remember seeing a statement to that effect. (There is a PC Gamer article which speculates something like that, as I recall, but no confirmation that I have seen.)

Does that mean that if you finish the conquest of Britannia in 1000 you have to go through another 240 turns to claim the final victory?!
  • MattzoMattzo Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 1,433
    Yes, it's been confirmed. There's Normans but not 1066 Normans. Once you complete the long victory conditions you'll start to hear rumours of a foreign invasion - the ultimate victory condition.

Depending where on the map you are this could be either Normans, Danes or Norsemen. On legendary all 3 could come for you. As with most Total War games, the campaign is probably balanced around lasting 200 turns, so a typical campaign might see this end game invasion arriving between 920 and 940. So while it's clearly inspired by 1066, you don't actually have to wait that long!

See this link for CA's blog on the Ultimate victory condition:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-of-britannia-ultimate-victory
    "Everything in war is simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
    Don’t think 1066 Norman’s are that different from 940 norman’s with a little imagination.
    Mattzo said:

Yes, it's been confirmed. There's Normans but not 1066 Normans. Once you complete the long victory conditions you'll start to hear rumours of a foreign invasion - the ultimate victory condition.

Depending where on the map you are this could be either Normans, Danes or Norsemen. On legendary all 3 could come for you. As with most Total War games, the campaign is probably balanced around lasting 200 turns, so a typical campaign might see this end game invasion arriving between 920 and 940. So while it's clearly inspired by 1066, you don't actually have to wait that long!

See this link for CA's blog on the Ultimate victory condition:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-of-britannia-ultimate-victory

Thanks for that, bringing the 1066 event forward by 100 years seemed to be major distortion of history!

This makes more sense as Rolf and his men had been settling in for some time by 920, and in 925 he led a number of unsuccessful attacks in neighbouring regions so obviously he was not quite ready to settle down to the life of a Frankish lord.
  • HunorHunor Registered Users Posts: 132
    I hope the Normans not only appear on the map with 2 full stacks army. but they occupy areas, build, recruit a new army after the losses and behave like any other factions !