Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I am worried that CA is struggling to handle the scope of the Warhammer Trilogy

Comments

• Add1ctedAdd1cted Senior Member Posts: 532Registered Users
    Such a shame that they've made a mess of what could be the most comprehensive TW to date. ME is rushed, and missing much that made TW1 so addictive. TW1 was a 10/10 game for me and I was excited by the idea of doubling that up in ME, but at the moment it's no more than a 6/10 because so much seems half finished.

The lack of communication on updates is also disappointing. My guess is that the com devs have been told they cant discuss upcoming fixes, which to me indicates a massive issue.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,381Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

Razzlie said:

Xenos7 said:

Razzlie said:

like PDX does

PDX releases a DLC with EVERY patch. It's how they finance it.
    Not every patch, it's more like every other patch.

And yes, that's why they keep polishing and fixing a game for a long time, which is what CA explicitly does not do, they use the traditional model of pumping out games and moving on to the next new thing.

That's why I'm certain all this stuff just isn't going to get CA to look back at it and fix it properly to what it's really supposed to be.

The scale of this project isn't compatible with their model in the end.
    I'm sure they would be more than happy to release a PDX-level DLC barrage if people didn't review bomb them back in the day.
    I find the praise for PDX DLC practice questionable anyway...

While CA release contend, PDX release features.

Features they balance the game around.
    Whenever you have the DLC or Not.

Why this get so much praise, I have no idea.

Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 5,105Registered Users
    SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

Razzlie said:

Xenos7 said:

Razzlie said:

like PDX does

And yes, that's why they keep polishing and fixing a game for a long time, which is what CA explicitly does not do, they use the traditional model of pumping out games and moving on to the next new thing.

That's why I'm certain all this stuff just isn't going to get CA to look back at it and fix it properly to what it's really supposed to be.

I'm sure they would be more than happy to release a PDX-level DLC barrage if people didn't review bomb them back in the day.

I own every bit of PDX DLC, but some things genuinely left me "WTF is that guys?" Like when they released a portrait pack for 10$. Portraits, and mediocre ones at that (this is PDX, not exactly known for great graphics). Their fanbase is WAY more lenient than CA's one.
    Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

Razzlie said:

Xenos7 said:

Razzlie said:

like PDX does

I own every bit of PDX DLC, but some things genuinely left me "WTF is that guys?" Like when they released a portrait pack for 10$. Portraits, and mediocre ones at that (this is PDX, not exactly known for great graphics). Their fanbase is WAY more lenient than CA's one.
    I wonder if that is or if the official PDX forums have a similar response to DLC's as the TW community but PDX simply ignores them more.
    SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

SiWI said:

Xenos7 said:

Razzlie said:

Xenos7 said:

Razzlie said:

like PDX does

I wonder if that is or if the official PDX forums have a similar response to DLC's as the TW community but PDX simply ignores them more.
    There has been a bit of backlash against Third Rome, which is, frankly, one of the most overpriced thing they ever sold. It has almost nothing in it. For a comparison, if CA made Call of the Beastmen with that price/content ratio, the roster would have been composed just of gors. Imagine the reviews for that. I like the two companies and they make great games, but PDX usually get a pass where CA doesn't. And then people complain there is no content. Beats me, they were making it and you yelled at them!
  • ArecBalrinArecBalrin Posts: 1,480Registered Users
    Can we get it out of our heads that 'Free-Loaded Content'(this is what the marketing monkeys were thinking when they came up with the disgusting 'FLC' abbreviation) is 'bonus stuff' or 'extra content'? It is part of the package that we bought, it is included because it's used to increase sales that pay for it. It's not charity and compared to what developers used to do when their profits were slimmer and the industry more competitive, it isn't even good-will.

Can we get it out of our heads that 'Free-Loaded Content'(this is what the marketing monkeys were thinking when they came up with the disgusting 'FLC' abbreviation) is 'bonus stuff' or 'extra content'? It is part of the package that we bought, it is included because it's used to increase sales that pay for it. It's not charity and compared to what developers used to do when their profits were slimmer and the industry more competitive, it isn't even good-will.

So what CA should do, after reading this, is that instead of given ever LP a FLC LL, they should just sell 3 in the LP? Or better sell the 1 LL alone?

I mean since it isn't "charity" or "good-will", the only rational CA could have been left with after comments like this is to just sell it.

BTW:
    what was the stuff "developers used to do" that compare to lets say WH1 FLC?

• GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,265Registered Users

No, it isn't charity but it is also not part of the content we bought. It is extra content released for free. Was Vlad, for example, in the files for game 1 from the beginning? No he was developed separately by the extra content team to be given for free along with G&G, regardless of whether you bought the LP - that is pretty much the definition of extra/bonus content - and CA had no obligation to provide it. Yes it is for the most part to maintain interest and goodwil, but I am still grateful for the free additions
    'FLC' is a marketing term, it was conceived as a way of presenting something neutral as something positive for players. I do not confuse what CA are obligated to do, the game is sold 'as is', with what is above and beyond that in terms of post-release support in it's entirety. That appears to be how my position is being interpreted.

It's just that I go a step further: I don't confuse that post-release support for something it isn't and it isn't 'free'. It's there because enough people already paid for it and more will pay for it still. The fact that 'FLC' can not be an abbreviation of 'Free Down-Loadable Content' is a subtle hint and it's not an oversight: the people that coined it do think of players as entitled free-loaders.

When it comes to post-release support including content updates, they are doing it to sell units and for the buyer it is part of the package: hence the creep of Mortal Empires, the very reason why many people are already invested in the whole trilogy rather than individual titles, now being referred to as 'FLC'. It is not 'extra', it is not 'free' and it is not 'a bonus'. It's the reason why some of us were interested at all.
  • FloppingerFloppinger Posts: 332Registered Users
    SiWI said:

Harconn said:

Harlec said:

I do not see the need for any kind of pressure at this point.

Yes, ME fells a bit beta right now... BUT it is a FLC, a bonus.

No, it's not a FLC,
    You downloaded it and didn't paid extra for it.
    It is Free DownLoadableC.ondent

it was the main reason I bought game 2 since it was already promised before release and ofc in the long run it will be the main campaign to be plaid, not Vortex.

But that doesn't change that
    A. you still got a full game campaign with WH 2, worth pretty much as much as any TW.
    B. you didn't paid extra for it.
    you got 3 TW campaign for the price of 2.

Also what do u think? That a company really gives away something for free out of generosity? They calculate FLCs in the price of their paid products of course. ME hoiwever was part of game 2 imo.

Oh how clever of you, since CA has to pay to make the FLC with things they sell, it isn't flc for you. Unless you are CA, this makes little sense, since you still didn't paid for it any extra, but hey.
    Well first. congratulation that you realize that it doesn't materialize out of nowhere.

Shame that you turn this in a entitlement.
    It´s not FLC.

A combined campaign of Old and New World, with all races that you own, for owners of both TW:WH1&2 is explicidly advertised on the Steam Store page of TW:WH2 in the "About the Game" section.

If you advertise it in there, it´s content included in the product you purchase, not free.

Then come up with another name for it.
  • HarconnHarconn Posts: 841Registered Users
    SiWI said:

Oh how clever of you, since CA has to pay to make the FLC with things they sell, it isn't flc for you. Unless you are CA, this makes little sense, since you still didn't paid for it any extra, but hey.
    Well first. congratulation that you realize that it doesn't materialize out of nowhere.

Of course everyone paid for it extra *sigh*, don't be naive. FLCs and the workload of FLCs is ofc calculated into the price of the main product and other DLCs. So you could say DLCs and standalones are overpriced from the start to allow FLCs in the first place. I am fine with this practice, but I want quality nonetheless. And ME at least does not meet my demands as it is now.

Also ME was advertised already in the TWW2 steam product description which was the main reason for me to buy TWW2, to me it was (a future) part of the game from the start. But yeah, hypocritical you can probably say it's a FLC, because they failed to include ME into TWW2 from the start. Congrats on taking it literally. Well, whatever,...
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

My German Youtube-Channel - Let's Plays (Strategy, RPG, Indie,...): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChwblqvwr8XxKP0GzCcUb8Q

SiWI said:

Harconn said:

Harlec said:

No, it's not a FLC,

it was the main reason I bought game 2 since it was already promised before release and ofc in the long run it will be the main campaign to be plaid, not Vortex.

A. you still got a full game campaign with WH 2, worth pretty much as much as any TW.

Also what do u think? That a company really gives away something for free out of generosity? They calculate FLCs in the price of their paid products of course. ME hoiwever was part of game 2 imo.

It´s not FLC.

A combined campaign of Old and New World, with all races that you own, for owners of both TW:WH1&2 is explicidly advertised on the Steam Store page of TW:WH2 in the "About the Game" section.

If you advertise it in there, it´s content included in the product you purchase, not free.
    "do good things and talk about it", only because CA talks about its FLC's. Doesn't make them DLC's.
  • FranzSaxonFranzSaxon Posts: 2,357Registered Users
    Loll the same arguments with the same apologists on every thread. You dont have to agree and defend every single thing a company does to support and appreciate them. I dont understand where that weird misplaced sense of loyalty comes from. We can all agree there's some issues that need fixing. Doesn't mean we are bashing or whining. Just pointing out issues. Its made to complicated around here. OP is right its that simple. There's no extraordinary argument or intelligent response that disproves him. The game is awesome, but there's things DEF need polish. Anyone with a brain can see that. OP, amazing post.
    Xenos7 said:

Then come up with another name for it.
    'Content updates' are not new and not novel. They were standard in the golden age of PC gaming(thought to be 1997-2002) when profits were smaller and competition larger. They were not something the players were grateful for, but the developers for being able to make them, to which their gratitude was owed to their paying playerbase. It was also that time that popularised 'expansion packs' which were cheaper but often almost as large as the base games, rather than piecemeal 'DLC' before companies realised some idiots will pay through the nose for horse-armour.

Now we are entitled free-loaders that have to be appeased with Free-Loaded Content they graciously give us and really we are the ones that should be grateful.
  • FloppingerFloppinger Posts: 332Registered Users
    SiWI said:

SiWI said:

Harconn said:

Harlec said:

No, it's not a FLC,

It´s not FLC.

"do good things and talk about it", only because CA talks about its FLC's. Doesn't make them DLC's.
    Funny, because CA actually calls Mortal Empires DLC on the store page aswell. This just means that you download it extra, that it´s not included in the in the initial download or the game updates. It doesn´t have anything to do with monetization.

"do good things and talk about it" is not how it works. You can twist and turn words as much as you like. If you tell your customer, on your store page in the description of your product, that feature xyz is included, then it´s included in the product and the customer pays for it by buying the product.

There´s room on the store page to advertise freebies without including them in the product description, you know....for when they´re actually freebies.

edited November 2017

SiWI said:

SiWI said:

Harconn said:

Harlec said:

No, it's not a FLC,

It´s not FLC.

Funny, because CA actually calls Mortal Empires DLC on the store page aswell. This just means that you download it extra, that it´s not included in the in the initial download or the game updates. It doesn´t have anything to do with monetization.

"do good things and talk about it" is not how it works. You can twist and turn words as much as you like. If you tell your customer, on your store page in the description of your product, that feature xyz is included, then it´s included in the product and the customer pays for it by buying the product.

There´s room on the store page to advertise freebies without including them in the product description, you know....for when they´re actually freebies.

On steam,. everything is called DLC since Steam doesn't know that name.

And since people apparently barley can be asked to read the product description, see some of the complains in this forum, I would say CA need to write that every-way they can to people even notice.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,265Registered Users

'It's just that I go a step further: I don't confuse that post-release support for something it isn't and it isn't 'free'. It's there because enough people already paid for it and more will pay for it still. The fact that 'FLC' can not be an abbreviation of 'Free Down-Loadable Content' is a subtle hint and it's not an oversight: the people that coined it do think of players as entitled free-loaders.

When it comes to post-release support including content updates, they are doing it to sell units and for the buyer it is part of the package: hence the creep of Mortal Empires, the very reason why many people are already invested in the whole trilogy rather than individual titles, now being referred to as 'FLC'. It is not 'extra', it is not 'free' and it is not 'a bonus'. It's the reason why some of us were interested at all.

FLC means gamers are free loaders? Seems to be reading just a little too much into things I think. And are the release of the promised ME campaign and FLC mutually exclusive? From what I recall CA promised that the games would weave together, though they would each be standalone titles. They have, it seems, done this by releasing both games then providing a free update (or FLC) that meets their promise of tying the games together. I am not sure what the problem is with the term FLC, and why labeling something that was previosly promised as FLC seems so offensive to you - Wurzag and Bretonia were promised beforehand (though Bret wasn't technically revealed at that point), but as a free addition it seems perfectly fine to label them FLC - as they are extra stuff given for free.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Posts: 1,596Registered Users
    My hope, is that the limited map area (Dark Lands) and Factions (Daemons, Ogres, and Chaos Dwarves) gives them the time to clean up the original factions, and bring any new features to the rest.

• QmotionQmotion Junior Member Posts: 238Registered Users
    Great post OP. I hope CA checks this one out. You described exactly my thoughts.
  • UrgatUrgat Posts: 992Registered Users
    So, if all those flaws are excusable because it's a FLC, guess what? I'd rather have paid for it and have a better ME, because to me, and most people I'm sure, it's going to be the main game mode of the trilogy. Dunno about you, FLC or not, I would have liked the main mode to not be half-harsed. I wish they didn't go for that trilogy idea anyway, and just went the way everybody else does, a base game, plus expansions/chapters. Then no excuse for forgetting the original game, because you can adjust it with the expansions, and have people buy it because they're insterested in the expansion's factions. You're interested in the Zerg campaign only? You'll still get Wings of Liberty, and I'm pretty sure most people didn't mind that in the end.
    If that's what FLC means, I seriously dislike their FLC method.
  • MakoTheMakoMakoTheMako Posts: 1,246Registered Users
    People need to remember these games don't exist in a vacuum, each one is part of a greater combined campaign, so the logic that they shouldn't share the "spotlight" is inane. The older products must be overhauled as they are equal part of the end product.

die about it

Loll the same arguments with the same apologists on every thread. You dont have to agree and defend every single thing a company does to support and appreciate them. I dont understand where that weird misplaced sense of loyalty comes from. We can all agree there's some issues that need fixing. Doesn't mean we are bashing or whining. Just pointing out issues. Its made to complicated around here. OP is right its that simple. There's no extraordinary argument or intelligent response that disproves him. The game is awesome, but there's things DEF need polish. Anyone with a brain can see that. OP, amazing post.

LoL, same "argument" same CA bashers on every thread.v You don't have to be disagree about everything and attack every single thing a company does to be a "real gamer" and "help the gaming community as a whole". I don't understand where this weird misplace sense of anger comes from. We can all agree that the game makes a lot of things great. Doesn't mean we are apologist for naming that. Just pointing out that not every critique is justly. Its made things difficult here. You people are wrong its that simple. There are no actually arguments or intelligent response to simple truths. The game isn't perfect, but there are things that a great about it. Anyone with a brain can see that.
  • MakoTheMakoMakoTheMako Posts: 1,246Registered Users
    "you're wrong it's that simple" is never a way to resolve a disagreement. I wasn't even following your argument but now I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

die about it

Urgat said:

So, if all those flaws are excusable because it's a FLC, guess what? I'd rather have paid for it and have a better ME, because to me, and most people I'm sure, it's going to be the main game mode of the trilogy. Dunno about you, FLC or not, I would have liked the main mode to not be half-harsed. I wish they didn't go for that trilogy idea anyway, and just went the way everybody else does, a base game, plus expansions/chapters. Then no excuse for forgetting the original game, because you can adjust it with the expansions, and have people buy it because they're insterested in the expansion's factions. You're interested in the Zerg campaign only? You'll still get Wings of Liberty, and I'm pretty sure most people didn't mind that in the end.
    If that's what FLC means, I seriously dislike their FLC method.

it does accrue to you that Ca didn't stop working on WH2 or ME for that matter right?

I would understand the hissy fits thrown around here better, if we would look a the end of WH2 life circle. We are just at the beginning. And even if you claim that ME is "unplayable" with old races (it isn't) till you finish your campaigns with the new races, the game is probably a different one already.

"you're wrong it's that simple" is never a way to resolve a disagreement. I wasn't even following your argument but now I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

you don't do parody, do you?
    Goatforce said:

'It's just that I go a step further: I don't confuse that post-release support for something it isn't and it isn't 'free'. It's there because enough people already paid for it and more will pay for it still. The fact that 'FLC' can not be an abbreviation of 'Free Down-Loadable Content' is a subtle hint and it's not an oversight: the people that coined it do think of players as entitled free-loaders.

FLC means gamers are free loaders? Seems to be reading just a little too much into things I think. And are the release of the promised ME campaign and FLC mutually exclusive? From what I recall CA promised that the games would weave together, though they would each be standalone titles. They have, it seems, done this by releasing both games then providing a free update (or FLC) that meets their promise of tying the games together. I am not sure what the problem is with the term FLC, and why labeling something that was previosly promised as FLC seems so offensive to you - Wurzag and Bretonia were promised beforehand (though Bret wasn't technically revealed at that point), but as a free addition it seems perfectly fine to label them FLC - as they are extra stuff given for free.
    I was trying to see where you were going with this but I still can't. What kept sticking out though was where you were not going; which is responding to my point about what FLC is. The question is implied but you missed it so let's make it explicit: what does 'FLC' stand for?
  • EssieEssie Junior Member Posts: 20Registered Users
    @ Siwi

Just because it was delayed doesn't mean it's FLC.
    If anything this makes it Delayed Loadable Content.

CA has literately said that every game would interlock into 1 big campaign map.
    This is what people paid for when buying game 2.
    Just because CA wasn't able to deliver it in time and had us load it later doesn't qualify it as Free.

edited November 2017
    Essie said:

@ Siwi

Just because it was delayed doesn't mean it's FLC.
    If anything this makes it Delayed Loadable Content.

CA has literately said that every game would interlock into 1 big campaign map.
    This is what people paid for when buying game 2.
    Just because CA wasn't able to deliver it in time and had us load it later doesn't qualify it as Free.

so in order to be flc all that CA to do was not talk about it?

For me there seem to be some very artificial standards set, to classify or better say, declassify everything as not "FLC".

Quotes and responses removed.
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • UrgatUrgat Posts: 992Registered Users
    SiWI said:

it does accrue to you that Ca didn't stop working on WH2 or ME for that matter right?

What occurs to me is that they said they wouldn't give the game 1 races the same perks as the game 2 races ( the battle skills like teleporting dinos or blakc ark bombardments), or the rituals (not sure on the term, not the Vortex things, the campaign bonuses you activate every few turns). And compare the skills the LL got/will get with the Norsca patch, to the skills the Game 2 lords get (they were worked at the same time, right?). That itself tells volumes about the treatment game 1 races will get.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file