Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Poor performance on new 1080 Ti

2»

Comments

• MrwaylayMrwaylay Registered Users Posts: 128
    @TTab88

I have pretty much the exact same spec as you. I also have the same issues.
  • TTab88TTab88 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 19
    Ok guys, I caved and returned my 1080 and upgraded to a 1080 ti

Specs:
    i7 7700k @4.7Ghz
    ASUS ROG STRIX OC'd 1080 ti
    16GB RAM DDR4 @3200Mhz
    1TB SSD

1440p, maxed out settings, battle benchmark gave me average 78.8fps

With the 1080, it was 57fps, so it was a good 20fps jump.

While I'm personally happy with the performance, I don't think people should need a 1080 ti to be able to play 1440p >60fps. Hell, the 1080 non-ti SHOULD have been good enough. But it looks like they are acknowledging that the game has performance issues, so hopefully we will soon see performance increases across the board.
  • Red_GeneralRed_General Member Registered Users Posts: 181
    TTab88 said:

I don't think people should need a 1080 ti to be able to play 1440p >60fps.

Arhhhh but CA do!

• GrayFoxCZGrayFoxCZ Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 71
    Gharghor said:

EDIT: Why do you think they only give recommended specs for 1080p? Cause 1440p+ is a disaster...

Im kinda surprised it isnt benchmarked on 1366x768 given how popular they still are. http://gs.statcounter.com/screen-resolution-stats/desktop/worldwide

There is about as much 1080p displays as there is higher resolution ones combined. It makes sense to target biggest group.
  • GharghorGharghor Registered Users Posts: 49
    GrayFoxCZ said:

Im kinda surprised it isnt benchmarked on 1366x768 given how popular they still are. http://gs.statcounter.com/screen-resolution-stats/desktop/worldwide

There is about as much 1080p displays as there is higher resolution ones combined. It makes sense to target biggest group.

Not every desktop owner is target audience...

The target audience is gamers (with low, medium and high end machines)... sure 1080p is still the biggest group; so ideally people with low/medium machines can get a decent framerate at that resolution. But if you can't get the game to run properly on high end machines at a 1440p resolution, your game is just poorly optimized.
    since when does display resolution equal gaming rig quality?

also what does "run properly" mean for you? If its 60 FPS then the setup which can achieve it is in link below.
    https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/total-war-warhammer-ii-geforce-gtx-recommended-gpus
  • GharghorGharghor Registered Users Posts: 49
    GrayFoxCZ said:

since when does display resolution equal gaming rig quality?

It's ok if you don't get it, but it's common sense that gamers have better quality machines than the average computer worldwide; so the stats you are linking (including ancient non-gaming machines) are completely irrelevant.

Are you sure I am the one not getting it? "Better quality" machine does not equal large resolution and I personally saw more 1080TI+FHD display combos than actual 1440px+.
    I can assure you it is still 1080ti and it doesnt get downgraded in performance even when using such a low res.

I personally use 27" 1920x1080p 27" Acer XB272bmiprzx Predator (240 Hz, 1ms response time) GSync monitor plugged into laptop. Guess its only mid range even if it costed 950 USD when I bought it.

• samsunaqsamsunaq Registered Users Posts: 1
    Okay i just registered and wanted to thank you guys, My pc was running extremly slow in these couple of days. I tried every god damn solution but turns out it was exactly PCI-EXPRESS issue, mine as well supporting 16x but was running at x1. I re-seated my graphic card and boom its like +50 fps :D
  • blazehenrysonblazehenryson Member Registered Users Posts: 77

I finally figured out what my problem was, it was a hardware issue. When I moved my computer my GPU must have come partially loose and was not using PCIe lanes properly. It should use PCIe 3.0 at 16x but it was running at 2x. I reseated it and now I am getting the performance I expected.

My benchmark for 1920x1080 ultra preset got an average of 115 FPS, running ultra at 3440x1440 I got an average of 65 FPS. My performance essentially doubled with that one fix.

It is worth checking out if you have hardware that is not performing as expected for this game. One of the ways to check is to run GPU-Z and look at the "Bus interface" section, it will tell you what your card should be running and what it is actually running. If you aren't running at the expected PCIe speed click the question mark and do the render test, it stress your GPU and make sure it is not on a lower setting due to power saving mode.
    If you do have this same issue, I came across numerous possible solutions:

- reseat GPU
    - move GPU to a PCI slot that supports the fastest speed (usually the one closest to the CPU)
    - reset CMOS
    - change PCIe speed settings in BIOS
    - remove hardware that may be sharing PCIe lanes with your GPU

Reseating is what ultimately fixed mine finally

So I ran GPU-Z and it appears I am running at PCI x 16 @ 8 3.0 when it supports PCI x 16 @ 16 3.0, would G-Sync be the cause of this? I have the most current drivers. How should I go about fixing this?

Alienware Aurora R7: Intel i7 8700k - NVIDIA 1080Ti - 16GB Ram DDR4 2666 MHz - 256GB NVMe & 2TB 7200RPM - Killer Wireless 1535 - 850PSU Liquid Cooled with Alienware 34" Curved Monitor AW3418DW (3440x1440) 120Hz GSync
  • BluePaintBluePaint Registered Users Posts: 7
    G-Sync shouldn't have anything to do with PCIE speed.

Possible reasons:
    - the GPU is not in the correct PCIE slot on the mobo (not all slots support PCIE x16)
    - the GPU is not properly seated in the slot and not all pins make contact
    - the PCIE slot is not properly configured in the BIOS
  • GauntXIIIGauntXIII Member Registered Users Posts: 279

I finally figured out what my problem was, it was a hardware issue. When I moved my computer my GPU must have come partially loose and was not using PCIe lanes properly. It should use PCIe 3.0 at 16x but it was running at 2x. I reseated it and now I am getting the performance I expected.

My benchmark for 1920x1080 ultra preset got an average of 115 FPS, running ultra at 3440x1440 I got an average of 65 FPS. My performance essentially doubled with that one fix.

It is worth checking out if you have hardware that is not performing as expected for this game. One of the ways to check is to run GPU-Z and look at the "Bus interface" section, it will tell you what your card should be running and what it is actually running. If you aren't running at the expected PCIe speed click the question mark and do the render test, it stress your GPU and make sure it is not on a lower setting due to power saving mode.

- reseat GPU
    - move GPU to a PCI slot that supports the fastest speed (usually the one closest to the CPU)
    - reset CMOS

So I ran GPU-Z and it appears I am running at PCI x 16 @ 8 3.0 when it supports PCI x 16 @ 16 3.0, would G-Sync be the cause of this? I have the most current drivers. How should I go about fixing this?

I have the same issue with my GTX 1070 PCI 16x running at 8x, however after some research which says there is no performance loss for single GPU running x8 instead of x16, I have decided to just leave it as the fix could potentially be complicated involving resetting bios etc.

Read this article if you want some peace of mind about there being no performance loss: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus
  • BluePaintBluePaint Registered Users Posts: 7
    GauntXIII said:

however after some research which says there is no performance loss for single GPU running x8 instead of x16, I have decided to just leave it as the fix could potentially be complicated involving resetting bios etc.

That's true in general but WH1 actually looses about 5% performance in 1080p from x8 instead of x16. Not a lot but also not completely negligible.
    https://techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/23.html

• DeznutzbichDeznutzbich Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2018

- reseat GPU
    - reset CMOS

Dude, you're my hero. I love you man. I was wondering why my 1080 was running so ****. Did what you mentioned and now I'm getting ungodly fps with no lag whatsoever with almost everything on ultra. God bless your angelic soul.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file