Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I could use some help in my campaign! (Carcassonne - Mortal Empires - Very Hard)

DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,579
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
Hello everybody !

At the moment I am at turn 105 with Carcassonne in the Mortal Empires campaign. I play it on Very Hard difficulty and I have to admit, I have some trouble and I could use your help.

Sadly, the High Elves (Lothern) made war on me, and it is truly an invansion since then. Fair Bretonnia is getting invaded by so many armies. The High elves send 6 deadstack at a time, on top of that, the Skealing and Varg are good for atleast another 6 armies fully stacked.

I am truly in trouble. I united the dukedoms of Bretonnia under one banner, sadly Alberic d'Bordeleaux didn't made it in my armies. He died when I confederate, and I couldn't fix that because Bretonnia them self where also confederating with them without Alberic d'Bordeleaux on the field :( so I don't have him as a general right now.

At this moment I have all of Bretonnia, sadly after a true invasion of my lands (10+ armies fully stacked) I had to gave up the Capital of Bretonnia, Couronne, and everything in between till the city of Bordeleaux . I just recaptured that city. Everything from the North from Bordeleaux is lost territory at the moment.

On top of that, I have only 1 army. The Fay Enchantress leads a mighty army with Brave and noble Grail Knights from the Capital of Carcassonne !! I got 15 units in total ; The Fay Enchantress, 1 Paladin, 3 Royal Pegasus Knights, 2 Royal Hippogryph Knights and 8 units of Grail Knights.

This is my only hope. 3 armies and there generals (fully stacked with peasant units, like men-at-arms with shield etc) have been destroyed.

Also I made sure from the start I invested a good amount of my money in gifts for other kingdoms and empires, that is why I have some powerful allies who are helping me right now. One such ally is the Wood Elves. Thank god, if I also had to fight there MIGHTY armies, I was destroyed already.

Right now, I need to retake my land, and unite all the dukedoms again. Sadly with only 1 army, this limits me a lot, but I can't pay for more armies now either.

I need your people help !! what can I best do !?!? I could dismiss my powerful and EXPENSIVE knights in favor of cheaper units like Man at arms and more armies. But right now, the peasants are NO MATCH against the well equipped High Elf's. Only the Men-at-Arms (Polearm) have some armor piercing damage, and the Squire of course. But those are not strong enough against elf's, this means I need to use the knights.

And this means, not enough money for a second army !

What can I do !? how can I safe my realm and with units will deliver me from this Evil befallen on my lands !? The Fay Enchantress searches for a solution, and prays the Wood Elves remain friends ... if they turn against me, I am DONE !!

Thanks in advance !
Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor

Comments

• Overlord87Overlord87 Registered Users Posts: 1,022
    edited November 2017
    With a unified Bretonnia, you should be able to field at least 3 armies I think. I would definitely reduce the number of Grail Knights in your doomstack, use more Realm and Quest Knights instead. But anyway, I think you should be able to assemble at least another good stack.

Have you tried sending the Wood Elves against Ulthuan? Like, giving them one settlement on Ulthuan as war target. This could help lower the pressure.
  • ZerglesZergles Member Registered Users Posts: 3,014
    Like Overlord here said, why not get rid of a few Grail Knights so you can save yourself some money.

That could be the help you need to start getting another army set up. Don't underestimate the Questing Knights.

• 42konyo42konyo Registered Users Posts: 783
    Kinda funny how you're at war with Lorthern meanwhile in my VH Von carstein campaign I became best buddies with both Lothern and Bretonnia without any effort, guess ME truly is a sandbox even more so then game 1 where I've never really seen "evil" factions buddy up with the "good guys" and good guys turning on each other.

Regarding your issue, I find that asking others to join in on wars (albeit for a price) can be extremely useful on VH/legendary if you pick the right guy for the job, having a defensive alliance with them so you can guide them is a huge plus as well.
    Find a faction that's not preoccupied with other wars and ask them to join in, preferably a faction that's able to attack them either when they're invading you or a faction that's on the other side of their territory forcing the enemy to send half their armies that way while giving you some space to breathe, and if you're lucky the AI will be dumb enough to send all it's forces to their new enemy leaving their cities open to be sacked/razed.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 4,184
    When you can recruit King Louen, I would put him in the field alongside the Fay Enchantress. Even if you can't afford to buy full armies for both of them, you want his bonuses on the field and you want them both to gain traits and levels from combat.

Play defense. Defend Bordeleaux and Carcasonne. Eventually gain peace with Lothern. Expand once their armies have been defeated or gone to peace.

As Carcasonne, you have a serious economic issue. Bretonnia's capitol is her most important economic city, and Marienburg is the second most important nearby economic city, and you lack both of them. You also lack Alberic to enhance the economy of Marienburg or Bordeleaux.

I would not disband any knight units right now, unless your economy goes negative and you can't afford to pay upkeep.

If you have a hero character and there are empire factions, dwarf factions, lizardman factions you have not met, I would send 1 character exploring. Once you meet those factions, you could open trade agreements and also ask them for money if they like you.

Economics is your biggest issue. Also, the post battle income for fighting enemies is useful right now.

• UnconqueredSunUnconqueredSun Registered Users Posts: 160
    You're once late to be here on t1 and be advised how to make Lothern a friend (they always win all of Ulthuan and you can't ignore this as Bret); you're a second time late to be here on the first turn of war against them, before losting 75% of armies and 50% of land.

Still, it might not be too late. How are your Fay points allocated and what artifacts do you have?
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 1,490
    I have the same problem with Bretonnia...I posted it too. Endless Skaeling, war with Wood Elves and High Elves...and now Tilea in the south. At least you managed to train tier 5 troops, I am stucked with Questing Knights and Errant Knights in turn 100..
    Skaeling are just bonus Chivalry, XP, gold, artifact loot. Their roster is extremely limited, they can never field a surprise, so hard-counter them and don't forget researching the overpowered anti-Norsca tech. They are also less likely to group in in 2-3 armies in ME compared to vanilla WH1, further diminishing their threat.

Skaeling are just bonus Chivalry, XP, gold, artifact loot. Their roster is extremely limited, they can never field a surprise, so hard-counter them and don't forget researching the overpowered anti-Norsca tech. They are also less likely to group in in 2-3 armies in ME compared to vanilla WH1, further diminishing their threat.

Yes, you can easily defeat them in battle with your main army, but it means that you have to flex your main army constantly because every 3 turns an army of Skaelings arrives at your door...

With that in place, you are tied to stay in your main territories with little expansion opportunities.

100 turns dealing with skaelings didn't give me gold.....not enough at least.

And yes, they can attack with 2-3 even 4 armies.

Yes, you can easily defeat them in battle with your main army, but it means that you have to flex your main army constantly because every 3 turns an army of Skaelings arrives at your door...

With that in place, you are tied to stay in your main territories with little expansion opportunities.

I can defeat them with my tertiary army by t50 on VH/VH. Brets counter their limited roster so hard.

Having 3 armies in the general vicinity isn't the same as moving them together as they used to do in WH1. I barely get to use Lightning Attack in ME, and I used it all the time on WH1. So it's easier, esp. for players who cant level their Lords fast.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 4,184

Having 3 armies in the general vicinity isn't the same as moving them together as they used to do in WH1. I barely get to use Lightning Attack in ME, and I used it all the time on WH1. So it's easier, esp. for players who cant level their Lords fast.

Its interesting how varied the player experiences are. I almost never used Lightning Attack in TWW1, and I'm using it frequently in TWW2.

I can defeat them with my tertiary army by t50 on VH/VH. Brets counter their limited roster so hard.

Tertiary army in turn 50?.....what is your income?, -2000?,. At turn 50 I can't manage a second army.....otherwise my income will be near 0 and I will progress nothing....

I don't understand how you guys play....in 100 turns I am still playing with 1 army....trying to earn credits....

Tertiary army in turn 50?.....what is your income?, -2000?,. At turn 50 I can't manage a second army.....otherwise my income will be near 0 and I will progress nothing....

I don't understand how you guys play....in 100 turns I am still playing with 1 army....trying to earn credits....

Well, I'm turn 120 with Queek and I have 5 full stacks going around. Only one is really good though, the other ones usually have 4-5 Skaven, some Clanrats, and some elite. Plus Skaven are cheap. At the moment I'm earning about 4000 per turn.

All in all, turn 100 you should really have one elite army and a couple more decent one, at least. If not, you've probably been expanding slow.

You could try and lower difficulty. I play on VH/N for example. It fits my playstyle more.

Going back to exactly turn 50 of my ME Bret VH/VH game

• DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,579
    edited November 2017

With a unified Bretonnia, you should be able to field at least 3 armies I think. I would definitely reduce the number of Grail Knights in your doomstack, use more Realm and Quest Knights instead. But anyway, I think you should be able to assemble at least another good stack.

Have you tried sending the Wood Elves against Ulthuan? Like, giving them one settlement on Ulthuan as war target. This could help lower the pressure.

Hello ! Nice to see you again :)

I really can't disband any knights. They are the only true army I have. The man at arms are just way to weak to win anything. If I made a second army, my fay Enchantress need to baby sit it all the time, while flexibility is very important now.

Also, I just fought a great battle with the Skealing. 6000 against 500 noble Bretonnian knights... and I only losed 25 knights ! They truly are to be feared and respected throughout Bretonnian lands ! They truly are living deities. I managed to banish all of the high Elfs armies by using the lightning strike ability and by laying ambushes. There was no other way for me then to fight a guerrilla war in my own lands.

It is fun but it gets to insane now. Melekith also made war on me .... and he SENDED 5 armies together with an elite army with him included. I kicked his butt though! And I got a nice trait for it in return ^^ ... but the amount of enemies on my door is insane ...

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
    DarkLordD said:

I really can't disband any knights. They are the only true army I have. The man at arms are just way to weak to win anything. If I made a second army, my fay Enchantress need to baby sit it all the time, while flexibility is very important now.

Also, I just fought a great battle with the Skealing. 6000 against 500 noble Bretonnian knights... and I only losed 25 knights ! They truly are to be feared and respected throughout Bretonnian lands ! They truly are living deities. I managed to banish all of the high Elfs armies by using the lightning strike ability and by laying ambushes. There was no other way for me then to fight a guerrilla war in my own lands.

It is fun but it gets to insane now. Melekith also made war on me .... and he SENDED 5 armies together with an elite army with him included. I kicked his butt though! And I got a nice trait for it in return ^^ ... but the amount of enemies on my door is insane ...
    Well, it's impressive you're managing to survive with just one army. Let us know if you manage to turn the tide :smile:
  • VladimiriVladimiri Registered Users Posts: 184
    Oh sweet Bretonnia! Don't give up buddy :)
    endur said:

When you can recruit King Louen, I would put him in the field alongside the Fay Enchantress. Even if you can't afford to buy full armies for both of them, you want his bonuses on the field and you want them both to gain traits and levels from combat.

Play defense. Defend Bordeleaux and Carcasonne. Eventually gain peace with Lothern. Expand once their armies have been defeated or gone to peace.

As Carcasonne, you have a serious economic issue. Bretonnia's capitol is her most important economic city, and Marienburg is the second most important nearby economic city, and you lack both of them. You also lack Alberic to enhance the economy of Marienburg or Bordeleaux.

I would not disband any knight units right now, unless your economy goes negative and you can't afford to pay upkeep.

If you have a hero character and there are empire factions, dwarf factions, lizardman factions you have not met, I would send 1 character exploring. Once you meet those factions, you could open trade agreements and also ask them for money if they like you.

Economics is your biggest issue. Also, the post battle income for fighting enemies is useful right now.

Hello there !

I really like your post. It seems you are familiar with Carcassonne yourself because you seem to understand perfectly what my problem is ! I also use the same tactic as you are describing.

I can't disband any knights right now. Man at arms are just to weak to stand against any army that is fielded against me now. Also, yesterday an army of 6000 man and beast alike from the Skealing attacked the Fay Enchantress yesterday. It where 5 armies in total ... with only 500 of my loyal knkggrs. But I kicked there butt ... and only with 25 loses on my part. That is why I can't disband any knights. The amount they trown at me is so insane right now, that man at arms would run just by looking at the guerrilla war I am fielding now against the enemies. Thank the lady that I have the lightning strike ability ad well !! It is useful now. Very useful.

Anyways I agree completely with you. I will take this path of action you describe. I am currently fighting my way back to Couronne. I just liberated Lyonnesse from the high Elfs. That means that there hold on my land has ended. Sadly Meleketh also made war on me ... and sends 5 armies to my lands. I already beat his elite army with him included.. but what they all trow at me is insane !! Lucky the knights are truly living saints among us and hold strong and stay fiercely loyal on the ladies side !

Hail the knights of Bretonnia!

Also I have finally reached distant lands with a noble servant I dispatched to sacred Lustria. I am now in the progress to make friends with the lizardman. I do need there aid. And Lord Mazdamundi has armies I need !! I do see they are also at war with with the dark Elfs. Good thing.

Also there was a most unlikely of pact formed while traveling to Lustria. at me cult of pleasure has helped me in my campaign to thwart the Elfs. They even send me nice gifts at the time I ask them to. Sadly she made peace with her son though:(

That is how I stand now. The guerrilla war I am on now seems to work well ! They just come and come and my biggest concern is flexibikity now. And to make things worse ... a stupid beastmen army all at the other side of my empire , where my army has no time to reach them , destroyed a city in Estelia.. The money maker for now of my realm. And they destroyed along wine resources !! I got a lot of money from that:( ....

I truly need a second army with the mighty king Louen, just as you say. He is so powerful.. easy kills 600 to 800 man at his own ! His sword I could use greatly now. I am in the progress to make a royal hippogryf (how you write that?) Army with him. Luckily the knights can hold there own VERY WELL against spear units otherwise I had trouble ;) !

Anyways I wi'll follow the path you described here and I hope I can get all the enemies out of my lands and have some time still to prepare again the forces of chaos who will surely follow soon ... maybe that can be a life saver .. since the forces of light will get the shield of civilisation... well we see ... I ask you all to pray for Bretonnia and the Lady ... ... in our most darkest hour we seek light to liberate us from this darkness !

Long life the king !

Going back to exactly turn 50 of my ME Bret VH/VH game

Mmm I had almost the same amount of territories, but drastically less income and bad economy and 1 army. I still don't know what is better, to have farms and windmills or industry with industry bonus building in small cities.

I can see you have a lot income with Trade.....I don't know how is that possible, because the other Bretonnian faction can trade with you, but if you Confederate with them, no more trade. Maybe the Empire and Middleland/Nordland.......rarely the High Elves want to trade with you....and the ones that can, will be killed by Ulthuan soon....(past traities with those Elves will cause Ulthaun to declare war on you). Karak Ziflin can go to hell, and Wood Elves are angry with you due past traities with Parravon or Carcassonne.

Yesterday I started a new campaign VH/VH with Bordeleaux, I hope to have more luck. I really want to conquer Estalia, but now Clan Skryre is around, that would be difficult.

Mmm I had almost the same amount of territories, but drastically less income and bad economy and 1 army. I still don't know what is better, to have farms and windmills or industry with industry bonus building in small cities.

Neither. Build both a farm and an industry (and don't worry about upgrading them in minor settlements).

There are a few reasons why that works for Bretonnians, among them they don't need nearly as many garrisons (their minor cities get walls from town on t3), no need for growth buildings (their towns provide a lot), and better times to recover investment on tier 1 economy buildings (compared to higher tiers) across the board.

Exceptions are a single province with Wood (likely Artois) where you can have a windmill in the minor city to unlock tier 2 farm for the advanced archers; settlements that simply don't have two free slots (ie Brionne, which has harbor and salt) - those get farms; and at-high-risk settlements which ought to get a tier 1 garrison for the extra units...I did that at Gorssel (although at best it served me once against Ostland) and for a time on the border with Mousillon before destroying them.

I can see you have a lot income with Trade.....I don't know how is that possible, because the other Bretonnian faction can trade with you, but if you Confederate with them, no more trade. Maybe the Empire and Middleland/Nordland.......rarely the High Elves want to trade with you....and the ones that can, will be killed by Ulthuan soon....(past traities with those Elves will cause Ulthaun to declare war on you). Karak Ziflin can go to hell, and Wood Elves are angry with you due past traities with Parravon or Carcassonne.

Yesterday I started a new campaign VH/VH with Bordeleaux, I hope to have more luck. I really want to conquer Estalia, but now Clan Skryre is around, that would be difficult.

The green isles to the south is actually Lothern. Lothern is virtually guaranteed to have all of Ulthuan, and you can make friends with them for free by joining their wars. Trade and safety from them attacking you is enough, but its possible to get even more in the long run. Lothern+traditional trading partners = more than enough export customers.

Be careful when fighting in Skavenblight. The rats will warp-bomb you on VH+.

DarkLordD said:

Well, it's impressive you're managing to survive with just one army. Let us know if you manage to turn the tide :smile:
    Well I have to disappoint you ! I abandoned ship. I could have tortured myself longer and play this game of cat and mouse, but I didn't see a point in it. I gave Up, and now I am doing an Wurrzag campaign on very hard, with more succses ;) !