Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

In ProgressRome II won't launch after reinstalling.

kuytiepokuytiepo Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 6
edited December 2017 in Support Area
Reinstalled the game today in anticipation for the new DLC, but I can't even get past the loading screen. Games on Steam btw. I press play, it opens up the launcher, game shows as running, from the launcher I press play on the Rome II tab, game seems to be starting up due to the blue loading icon next to my mouse, then nothing. Steam syncs as if you closed the game, but the game didn't even start at all. I try launching the game again and again but still nothing. It's the same loop over and over again. It's only been a few months since I last played now I can't even play anymore. Attached is my DxDiag.
Post edited by CA_Nate on

Comments

• xRagesxxRagesx Registered Users Posts: 2
    I have this exact same issue. It was working perfectly yesterday now i freeze on the loading screen. I can't even close the game i have to restart the computer to get it to stop.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 32,713
    edited November 2017
    Have you validated the game cache and opted out of the power and politics beta?

Edit: also have you removed all mods?

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • xRagesxxRagesx Registered Users Posts: 2

this worked for me. Do the mods have to be updated for the new update or something?
  • DreadedNorwegianDreadedNorwegian Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,166

Do you have to completely delete the mods? If so can the modders update their mods so I don`t have to delete them?
    No retreat,No surrender! FORWARD!!
    Til Valhall!
  • kuytiepokuytiepo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    Opted out of all betas, validated the cache and never installed a single mod. Still nothing. :/
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,008
    kuytiepo said:

Opted out of all betas, validated the cache and never installed a single mod. Still nothing. :/

Hmm, in the main menu you have version number in the corner. Is there * next to it?

Completed campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Iceni, Lusitani, Macedon, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Sparta.
    ED: Caledonii, Palmyra, Rome.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Eastern Roman Empire, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Venedians.
    TLR: The Roman Expedition.
    AoC: The Kingdom of Asturias, The Kingdom of Charlemagne, The Kingdom of the Danes, The Kingdom of Mercia.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 32,713
    @DreadedNorwegian @xRagesx Modders have to update their mods before they will work. Until they have done that mods will contiinue to break the game. Basically you have to play vanilla until the mods are updated or roll back to patch 17 where the old mods should work until they have been updated.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

• CA_NateCA_Nate Creative Assembly Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SuperAdmin Posts: 359
    edited December 2017
    Hi Everyone,

When mods have been updated to work in conjunction with Empire Divided they will then be able to be used in the game but until then please play the game either with the vanilla version. If you do wish to add mods to your game make sure that they are compatible with Empire divided.

For player's who are trying to enter the game and it is still causing issues for them can you please provide us with your DXdiag and also preferences script, so we can investigate this further.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Post edited by CA_Nate on
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    RafSwi7 said:

Hmm, in the main menu you have version number in the corner. Is there * next to it?

Can't even reach the main menu. Game doesn't launch at all past the total war launcher.
    edited December 2017
    CA_Nate said:

Hi Everyone,

When mods have been updated to work in conjunction with Empire Divided they will then be able to be used in the game but until then please play the game either with the vanilla version. If yo u do wish to add mods to your game make sure that they are compatible with Empire divided.

For player's who are trying to enter the game and it is still causing issues for them can you please provide us with your DXdiag and also preferences script, so we can investigate this further.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate

Hey Nate, I already attached my DXdiag on my original post. Tried to edit and attach my preferences script but when I went to Rome2's scripts folder it was empty. They weren't hidden or anything, the folder was completely empty.

EDIT: Since my preferences.script.txt file was missing I tried pasting the pre-made file found here on "https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/1923764/#Comment_1923764" but the game still won't launch.
  • dingram629dingram629 Registered Users Posts: 1
    I don't use mods, have been playing vanilla Rome II for about a year, and when the Empire Divided launched a few days ago my program stopped working - I have a macbook air and I open the game from steam and after about 15 seconds it quits without even getting to the menu. Can attach an error report if this helps, but don't know what to do.

Have reinstalled the game, deleted and reinstalled steam.
  • AugustoLunaAugustoLuna Registered Users Posts: 2
    Same issue. Cant pass the loading screen and I have to restart my PC.
    This issue begun with the new patch with empire divided
  • CA_NateCA_Nate Creative Assembly Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, SuperAdmin Posts: 359
    Hi Everyone,

Thank you for replying ot this post with your information:

@dingram629 - Your game will work as normal after Total War: ROME II – Empire Divided releases, however due to the way the Mac version works, it will require most of the data to be re-downloaded as we are de-linking the two platforms. If you have Total War: ROME II currently installed, you can avoid this by opting into the PATCH_17 beta which will keep your game as it currently is. For anyone re-downloading the game, or purchasing for the first time there will be no noticeable difference and you will just download the game as normal.

@AugustoLuna - Would you please be able to provide us with your DXdiag and also Preferences script

@kuytiepo - Thanks for providing the additional information, we will investigate this issue further

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Also for people received this crash would you be able to take the preferences script provided below and see if this assists in anyway. Please note this will set all the games graphical settings to minimum on launch, but can be adjusted after this.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

• William_1993William_1993 Registered Users Posts: 16
    kuytiepo said:

snap still nothing
    CA_Nate said:

Also for people received this crash would you be able to take the preferences script provided below and see if this assists in anyway. Please note this will set all the games graphical settings to minimum on launch, but can be adjusted after this.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate

how do i do this?
    Hi @William_1993

To place the preference script into the revelant folder please follow the steps below:

1. Download the preferences script above
    2. Open Windows Explorer and copy this line into the address bar: "%Appdata%/The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts"
    3. Copy/ Move the preferences script into this folder
    4. Load the game

Please note once you load the game, it will default to the minimum settings but if you change this and then play/close the game after saving the changes, your preferences script will update to these settings.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

Tried the new preferences.script.txt you posted Nate, still nothing. :/
    Thought id give it a go too, didnt work for me either
  • MathiasBekkerMathiasBekker Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone,

Our QA team is actively investigating this issue.

Kind Regards,

CA_Nate
    Forum Terms & Conditions

• tpaolangelitpaolangeli Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    as above, after latest free dlc game get's as far as changing cursor and crashes. No pref script file, tried using above and others. Two delete and redownloads, same crash.
    edited December 2017
    Have you tried lasunching directly from the Rome2.exe file or launching Steam using Run as Administrator?

• LepraLepra Registered Users Posts: 2
    I have the same crash during launch that only the cursor changes.

I have secured that I have no mods, I have never had mods since I purchased the game just yesterday.

I have verified the game cache. Many times.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

I have ran Rome2.exe as administor from the local files. I have ran steam as an administor. I have tried to launch from the game from the desktop, from the toolbar icon and from the local files and of course normally from the Steam library. This does not seem to be the problem.

I have tried everything within the Total War Rome 2 launching/crashing support page at least once. Even all the nuclear options.

I have tried to remove the files from Appdata/Roaming/The Creative Assembly without any luck (which is probably obvious since I have no traces of mods what so ever).

I have skipped the launcher by copying the Rome2.exe to the launcher folder and renaming it as launcher. The launcher does not seem to be the problem.

I have set up my preferences as the community had suggested for DirectX11 and also I have tried the one that are given here. The preferences do not seem to be the problem.

I have reinstalled the game.

I have tried to opt the game to an earlier patch (17) but this did not do any good for me. Of course after this attempt I opted out.

Since I have never actually been able to run the game regardless of the patch and I don't know if this problem as appeared only after the patch, but someone had suggested that this might be problem with the newest Nvidia drivers as they have been reported problematic. This might be nonsense though.

I have Windows 10 up to date and should be no problem to run a game of this like.

Looking forward to play the game, thank you. :)

• LepraLepra Registered Users Posts: 2
    The solution for me was found by bassguitarfreek:

If you're on windows 10, you can try rolling back to a previous build.

Start > Settings > Update and security > Recovery > Revert to previous build.

For a lot of people the problem started with the new windows 10 update, so this should fix problems related to that.

Give it a try.
  • TheCatTheCat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 10
    Is there any progress? Still having this issue. Tried all the solutions mentioned in this topic. Nothing hapens. Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2, Rome 2, Atilla , none of them will launch. Only Total Warhammer will launch. I haven't been able to play Empire Divided since it came out.
  • squidking78squidking78 Registered Users Posts: 5
    It's still broken for many on Macs as well.

Patch 17 does not work.

-digital
    -steam
    -NA (USA)
  • sead98sead98 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Still not working. I recently downloaded this after a 6 month hiatus and not launching after a fresh installation. Completely vanilla. Tried all the recommended solutions but still not working.
  • sead98sead98 Registered Users Posts: 2
    In the hopes of getting some resolution after over a week of trying to get this to run here are my preferences file and Dxdiag...when I launch the game form Steam it acts like it will start then disappears. No launch screen or anything. I just reinstalled it again tonight, verified local files, no mods whatsoever and ran the preferences script....not sure what else to do.

• TheCatTheCat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 10
    I doubt if CA is working on this. Not a single word about their investigation in over a month. I'm not going to buy antother total war game untill they solve this issue.