Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

(Bug) Handgunners and Attack Orders from Warhammer 1 and 2

UtensilsDudeUtensilsDude Posts: 2Registered Users
edited December 2017 in Campaign & Battle Bugs

I am submitting a video that I hope will recognize an inconsistency with Handgunners, though there are those that tell me there are more, some of which I experienced myself. Handgunners, in WH2, with line of sight that doesn't include most if not all the models of the unit, when given an attack order, will run very close if not melee range of an enemy unit before firing, if they haven't been sucked into melee. In WH1, they would fire at any available model that wasn't obstructed, even if almost the whole unit was.

This is not just a problem with Handgunners, but with artillery as well. Another bug involves artillery walking much too close to a tower or wall during a siege battle even if they have a perfect line of sight. I don't have a video of that, but I could make one if requested.

Some others are saying it's not just Handgunners/Thunderers, but with arrow or skink units as well. Again, I don't have video evidence or even the experience of having that happen to me, but it seems that many at least agree that there are problems. If there are any questions, please ask me and I'll get right on it to answer them.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• AdnanKhan47AdnanKhan47 Posts: 1Registered Users
    This bug is infuriating. It affects all powder weapons.

I have almost stopped using dwarves and Empire in multiplayer because of this. All I use gunners for now is shooting down big monstorous units since getting them to shoot at enemies now requires you move them all the way around and behind the enemy, otherwise they'll walk up to within arms-length of the enemy before shooting.
  • ThaneMurthor12ThaneMurthor12 Posts: 490Registered Users
    edited December 2017
    Build V: 1.1.1 5078.1221711

I can confirm that this happens, But to me, it only seems to happen to the Empire faction, Dwarfs seem unaffected. however I only tested the Handgunners / Thunderers.

I saved replay's of both factions to compare between the two.

Post edited by ThaneMurthor12 on
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

"In the centuries I have been the High King, our enemies have thought us weak, cowards hiding in the deepest, darkest places. Heh, fools! Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, etched in blood! Clan Gurnisson! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman! The Urks must pay, Let them come..."

"One wrong put right, yet the Great Book of Grudges...remains full..."

- High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer.

• hanesdavhanesdav Posts: 715Registered Users
    I also have this problem with The Empire and Dwarfs.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,607Registered Users
    Hate this bug.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • SacrSacr Posts: 1Registered Users
    How to solve it? Any clue?
    I Doubt anyone has any idea on how to fix this issue. Just pray and hope that CA fixes it in the next patch.
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

"In the centuries I have been the High King, our enemies have thought us weak, cowards hiding in the deepest, darkest places. Heh, fools! Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, etched in blood! Clan Gurnisson! Karak Eight-Peaks! Josef Bugman! The Urks must pay, Let them come..."

• No_StringsNo_Strings Posts: 8Registered Users
    Can confirm. Experiencing the exact same thing with Handgunners.
    Yes, the bug is still here. Come on CA....
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

• ricmornricmorn Posts: 203Registered Users
    edited March 2018
    I believe CA already acknowledged this. It technically is a quirk of targeting. But will take effort to fix and is on the radar for fixing. The problem is the missile targeting system was changed in WH:2 to allow for archer units to more effectively arc fire over their own friendly units. Now in the missile targeting calculations it registers friendly units as "obstacles" and fires over them, like a wall. The problem is "obstacles" for gun units means "can't fire at all, cant arc bullets, move until a firing angle is available" which, since the ammunition is...bullets, means the unit walks straight into melee.

This is why the quick fix, reverting back to WH:1 missile targeting, hasn't been done. It would break the way that arc-fire units work, and we'd get a topic called "quarrelers won't fire over miners" all over again. So I think this is something that's just going to take time.
    ricmorn said:

I believe CA already acknowledged this. It technically is a quirk of targeting. But will take effort to fix and is on the radar for fixing. The problem is the missile targeting system was changed in WH:2 to allow for archer units to more effectively arc fire over their own friendly units. Now in the missile targeting calculations it registers friendly units as "obstacles" and fires over them, like a wall. The problem is "obstacles" for gun units means "can't fire at all, cant arc bullets, move until a firing angle is available" which, since the ammunition is...bullets, means the unit walks straight into melee.

This is why the quick fix, reverting back to WH:1 missile targeting, hasn't been done. It would break the way that arc-fire units work, and we'd get a topic called "quarrelers won't fire over miners" all over again. So I think this is something that's just going to take time.

That actually makes sense to me.
    Khazukan Kazakit-ha!

• cool_ladcool_lad Senior Member IndiaPosts: 2,271Registered Users

ricmorn said:

That actually makes sense to me.
    The problem is that while this is a minor inconvenience for indirect fire units, which can be be quite easily overcome through positioning and increasing distances from target (for example by making units fire in enfilade instead of directly ahead); it's a pretty major issue for direct fire units and prevents them from firing altogether in far too many circumstances.

On the whole, reverting to the game 1 system seems like a better idea as the issues created for direct fire units by the game 2 system are far more severe than those for indirect fire units by the game 1 system.
  • Xen0techXen0tech Junior Member Posts: 57Registered Users
    Any word on a fix for this? The problem also effects their fire at will for enemies in line of sight. I found they do not aquire new targets once one moves out of range. I'll test it more tonight but it makes them very tedious to micromanage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file